Why so much hate toward AI art?

Nobody Cares

Game Developer
Oct 8, 2017
Putting aside all the controversies on copyrights, I believe most of the hate comes from the natural human desire for authenticity. As the technology improves, so does the ability of the public to recognize and identify AI generated content. AI art will always feel false, cheap, manipulative even. It's much like cgi vs practical special effects. The former are overused and no matter how spectacular they get, they will always taste false. Practical effects cannot reach the same level of possibilities, yet they feel solid, real, and you can better sense the craft that was behind them. So, AI can be an amazing tool if used approprietly (and I'd say sparringly), otherwise all it will produce will be bloated messes.

Fried_Squid

Dec 7, 2019
Still better than some 'real art' i'd say, or no art at all. :sneaky::coffee:
It's better they tried and failed than to never try at all, and by god it's so easy to give up as soon as you feel like something isn't "perfect". Even easier to throw the towel before you even start. Mad respect to this guy for making something that looks awful. Don't be afraid to make something bad. Those are the first step towards learning.

Nobody Cares

Game Developer
Oct 8, 2017
It's better they tried and failed than to never try at all, and by god it's so easy to give up as soon as you feel like something isn't "perfect". Even easier to throw the towel before you even start. Mad respect to this guy for making something that looks awful. Don't be afraid to make something bad. Those are the first step towards learning.
The one thing I can't get over is the fact that the industry intentionally targeted visual art because the community had no means to defend itself. I do appreciate the new tool, but the way visual artits have been targeted and exploited is a travesty.

gaogao

Aug 3, 2017
Putting aside all the controversies on copyrights, I believe most of the hate comes from the natural human desire for authenticity.
I'd argue that people, in general, do not give a damn about authenticity. They care more about utility and efficiency. If they truly care about authenticity, they would revert back to the hunting and gathering era, where they acquire food from the actual "organic" source in the jungles instead of buying mass-produced items.

This whole website is a testament to that. A good wank or fuck has nothing to do with looking at authenticity. They fuck whatever they want. Whether it is 2D boobs, 3D, big, flat, real, or fake, they will get the same erections based on the wiring of their brains. It has nothing to do with meeting a fucking the one true authentic lover for the purpose of fornication and kink. It is simply about having a quick and cheap (efficiency) fuck or wank (utility). Authenticity has nothing to do with it.

Their hate toward AI arts (to me) is a more fundamental and conservative nature of disliking changes. It is the same way old people hate modern genres of music and movies. An electronic and auto-tune like "Friday" by Jessica Black was criticized for using musical technology unfamiliar to the public at the time. Nowadays, Billie Eilish and Lil Nas X would just use the same tech and turn their products into "arts." It has nothing to do with authenticity. It is just people refusing to adapt to modernity.

Just like musicians have fine-tuned their methods of using those technologies, combined with a time of gradual exposure to produce cultural acceptance, AI art has yet to receive that treatment. It needs time and the right artists to fine-tune it into the public's consciousness.

Nobody Cares

Game Developer
Oct 8, 2017
I'd argue that people, in general, do not give a damn about authenticity. They care more about utility and efficiency. If they truly care about authenticity, they would revert back to the hunting and gathering era, where they acquire food from the actual "organic" source in the jungles instead of buying mass-produced items.

This whole website is a testament to that. A good wank or fuck has nothing to do with looking at authenticity. They fuck whatever they want. Whether it is 2D boobs, 3D, big, flat, real, or fake, they will get the same erections based on the wiring of their brains. It has nothing to do with meeting a fucking the one true authentic lover for the purpose of fornication and kink. It is simply about having a quick and cheap (efficiency) fuck or wank (utility). Authenticity has nothing to do with it.

Their hate toward AI arts (to me) is a more fundamental and conservative nature of disliking changes. It is the same way old people hate modern genres of music and movies. An electronic and auto-tune like "Friday" by Jessica Black was criticized for using musical technology unfamiliar to the public at the time. Nowadays, Billie Eilish and Lil Nas X would just use the same tech and turn their products into "arts." It has nothing to do with authenticity. It is just people refusing to adapt to modernity.

Just like musicians have fine-tuned their methods of using those technologies, combined with a time of gradual exposure to produce cultural acceptance, AI art has yet to receive that treatment. It needs time and the right artists to fine-tune it into the public's consciousness.
Quick and cheap comes and goes, the authentic endures. Things done with love and effort will always outlast those done with greed and haste.

shabadu

Jun 5, 2020
An electronic and auto-tune like "Friday" by Jessica Black was criticized for using musical technology unfamiliar to the public at the time.
Not to nitpick, but I'm pretty sure a majority of the criticism for Friday was more about the overall quality of the song and not so much the use of autotune. Not saying she wasn't criticized for that, but it wasn't the primary reason by any means.

gaogao

Aug 3, 2017
Quick and cheap comes and goes, the authentic endures. Things done with love and effort will always outlast those done with greed and haste.
Quick and cheap have the purpose of building something that lasts, such as "authenticity." How much cheap mass-produced items, food, and media have you consumed to develop that "authentic" statement that will stay on the internet forever? How many authentic food, coffee, and burger joints have failed, whereas the cheap and quick fast food just as Mcdonald's and Starbucks still strive?

I am not against authenticity and originality. I value them and see the current form of AI as a potential nemesis of those ideals. But like a lie can permanently destroy a life, I think it is best that one must recognize the limitations of "authenticity." It is not as 'magical' as you like to believe, the same way that inauthenticity is not any less enduring than its counterpart.
I do not believe the hate toward AI stemmed from such an ideal of authenticity but rather from conservatism, just like every new technology before. People dislike and fear the drastic change the new technologies bring into their life.

Like my previous post, all of these criticisms, whether AI art is lifeless, not authentic, or lazy, are just history repeating itself. Sure, AI is a recent invention, but these criticisms have been made for every other invention and innovation, be it the camera, lawn mower, or microwave. Arguments like these are not breaking ground. They are "quick and cheap" arguments but also "enduring" ideals about any technological innovation that aims to delay the inevitable cultural adoption of the tech.

One relatable example is the Internet you are using to post these thoughts. Before its invention, we might have had to send letters, write a book, or talk to journalists to publicize our opinions. Now, we get to do that just by paying a small subscription to our internet provider, and we have access to a quick and cheap (efficient and utility) way to get our authentic thoughts across. Would you argue that emails, online forums, and text messages cannot convey authentic opinions and handwrite me a letter?

Not to nitpick, but I'm pretty sure a majority of the criticism for Friday was more about the overall quality of the song and not so much the use of autotune. Not saying she wasn't criticized for that, but it wasn't the primary reason by any means.
True. Auto-tune and its criticism were developed decades before Black. I can't remember the specific example, but Black was among the discussion and criticism I had long ago. So I use it from the top of my head (I probably remembered something completely different). I still think it serves the point that technological inventions require time for social acceptance and practice for ethical fine-tuning.

Last edited:
Reactions: KarenJimmy
Jun 10, 2023
The one thing I can't get over is the fact that the industry intentionally targeted visual art because the community had no means to defend itself. I do appreciate the new tool, but the way visual artits have been targeted and exploited is a travesty.
How so? If AI isn't as good, like you said (whic then the community is safe.
Love and effort are nice, but don't necessarily translate to quality. With the right tool something quick and cheap may better.

Reactions: KarenJimmy

Nobody Cares

Game Developer
Oct 8, 2017
Love and effort are nice, but don't necessarily translate to quality. With the right tool something quick and cheap may better.
Quality is overestimated. In twenty years people will still watch the Room and Plan 9 from outer space. No one will watch Quantumania.

Reactions: DuniX

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
True. Auto-tune and its criticism were developed decades before Black. I can't remember the specific example, but Black was among the discussion and criticism I had long ago. So I use it from the top of my head. I still think it serves the point that technological inventions require time for social acceptance and practice for ethical fine-tuning.
Autotune was originally just software used for pitch correction. Cher's "do you believe in love after love after love after..." was the first track that abused this tech by jacking up the settings (at least the first one to hit mainstream). Damn that shit was playing everywhere. And then it kinda faded from memory (at least as far as I remember) until T-Pain. It became so prevalent at this time, and this was when the criticism of autotune artists being talentless hacks really took off. Rebecca Black was way later. In fact, I don't even remember Friday being known for autotune. It was just a shitty song that got meme status and became famous.

But to tie this history lesson back into topic, look at T-Pain. He was chastised so much for abusing autotune, and most people assumed he couldn't sing for shit. We now know that he was always a great singer. He used autotune as a tool to come up with his signature sound. And he was making bank, being featured on every rap album.

So yea, autotune can make people who can't sing sound ok, and AI can let non-artists make some art. But people with real talent in those fields will be the ones that can take the tools and create something that stands out. In 10 years, it will be just another tool like photoshop, synthesizer, or even the camera.

Last edited:
Reactions: pepplez

Reaper9988

Sep 25, 2021
That, my friend, is called "gate keeping". It is something the artistic community has done for a long time.
I love Gate keeping, Gate Keeping is the best thing that ever happened to the metal scene. It keeps shit Metalcore and what not bands out of my festivals.
If the "Art Community" does it now it is one of the best things that can ever happen really.

Reaper9988

Sep 25, 2021
Lately I've noticed some "AI artists" trying to get around people filtering their images by lightly editing them and then refusing to tag them as AI because hurr durr it's an original work of art now because a human touched a single pixel. Now I'm curious about how people will try to obfuscate AI use in the future when it's much harder to notice.
Well if that is true that means there is enough disinterest and backlash against AI "Art" that people find it wise to try to bypass the tag, I would consider that a good thing.
And as someone else said the people doing it will be probably ousted sooner or later.

Reaper9988

Sep 25, 2021
The current AI art craze will probably pan out like the NFT craze, it is spreading like fire with tons of people claiming "it is the future" but soon it will die down once those same people realize how dumb it actually is.

Most developers that want effectiveness are still going to stick with 3D posing softwares like DAZ, HS, etc simply because they are faster and more consistent than anything you can achieve with pure AI.

And artists are still going to stick with their own artwork because that consistency is exactly what their fans are interested in.

In its current state AI isn't replacing much except maybe for stock image platforms.
Pretty much that that, now that a lot of sites like DLSite have clamped down or let you filter AI art I'm not bothered as much anymore as I am not swamped with same looky no effort stuff(well at least much less)
I actually also see now that there is some use for the AI technology to ease tedious tasks like backgrounds and such.
As long as the Command prompt "Art" goes away it's all good.

Reaper9988

Sep 25, 2021
This one still requires human artist editing (touch up) but looks good enough for 5 minute effort stuff.
View attachment 2710909
While that image of course looks good it still has that samey AI look AI had month ago. The exact look DLSite and such got swamped with, I see no real progress.(Ai Checker gives it a 99% probability too)
Mind if I ask what you touched up ?

Stonkss

Lead dev in LegalGames
Game Developer
Oct 18, 2020
Mind if I ask what you touched up ?
Nothing. This is pure unedited AI-generated image. By the way could you point me to some decent quality AI-generated content on DLSite? I have problem searching the site.

Orhanfake27

Aug 30, 2021
Artificial intelligence art can be beautiful and innovative, but it feels unnatural and fake. People will put in more effort, and their work will look better. Hatreds may also decline if artificial intelligence develops human-like creativity.

Reactions: Reaper9988

Reaper9988

Sep 25, 2021
Nothing. This is pure unedited AI-generated image. By the way could you point me to some decent quality AI-generated content on DLSite? I have problem searching the site.
Oh sorry I thought you touched it up my bad.
DLSite doesn't allow the sale of Ai generated Images anymore, at least at the moment.
The only thing they allow is Partial AI for games and such, so backgrounds and stuff.

0012.jpg That is a pic of a bundle I bought for under a Buck back in December. Before it got flooded and well it pretty average.

It's hard to explain but the lightning and picture style is always very similar I find with AI, I guess that is because of what is "trained" on.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Stonkss