Why Do You Not Play Female Protagonist Gamess?

TessaXYZ

Game Developer
Mar 24, 2020
- Many female protagonist AVN players are guys, who want to see sexy scenes with the MC without too much buildup. (And probably want more groping and assault content like your typical bimbo in rapetown plot)
Unwarranted assumption, IMO. Guys don't automatically want no build-up because it's a female MC. AVN players want a story and characters that are believable and compelling, regardless of gender, and that often means letting a story build naturally. There are a million games with undeserved, rapid-fire sex scenes; don't make it a million and one.

Reactions: Gato21 and woody554

Dessolos

Forum Fanatic
Jul 25, 2017
Cool, thanks for the feedback! As someone writing a female protagonist AVN, I'll keep this in mind.
I think the tricky part is:
- Many female protagonist AVN players are guys, who want to see sexy scenes with the MC without too much buildup. (And probably want more groping and assault content like your typical bimbo in rapetown plot)
-Others are female players, or players who want to identify as the female: and want more agency, believable, and personality. You actually put it pretty well:The MC shouldn't be a prude from the 18th century, but sex scenes especially assault ones also have to be well-paced and earned, but also provide choice of player agency during.

It's a tricky duality to balance.
ive never played a AVN where you play as a female yet I plan to play some tho. One thing I think I would enjoy is having at least one LI that you as the player can play as the slow burn girl to said LI. Tho that might just be because I enjoy slow burn characters more personally so be interesting to play it in the reverse role.

Reactions: Ramadiel

Dessolos

Forum Fanatic
Jul 25, 2017
Unwarranted assumption, IMO. Guys don't automatically want no build-up because it's a female MC. AVN players want a story and characters that are believable and compelling, regardless of gender, and that often means letting a story build naturally. There are a million games with undeserved, rapid-fire sex scenes; don't make it a million and one.
100% this I know these are AVN games so sex is included in these games but when I play these games I dont care about that I just view sex as something to make it more realstic, a reward / bonus / something nice to look at to take a small break from the plot. I've played games where I actually get annoyed how often sex scenes pop up but I enjoyed the characters or story. What I look for is games with good characters, story even if some of the characters aren't good if they have enough romantic, sweet or wholesome scenes that can make up for it to me.

Sep 1, 2023
Oh, I 100% plan to write a fully fleshed out, non-bimbo female MC ... and player choice to avoid or get out of every scenario. However, it seems many pouplar corruption games don't necessarily do this.

Ideally, if everyone enjoyed a well written story at the expense of a few sex scenes, that would be great. Nothing worse than shoehorning a sex scene in the middle of an arc cause...well...player hasn't wanked an hr now so it's about time.

Sep 1, 2023
ive never played a AVN where you play as a female yet I plan to play some tho. One thing I think I would enjoy is having at least one LI that you as the player can play as the slow burn girl to said LI. Tho that might just be because I enjoy slow burn characters more personally so be interesting to play it in the reverse role.
Good point. Actually I feel the same way. The female MC should have at least one slow burn LI, and also have at least one male and one female LI to choose from (or choose both lol)

Sep 1, 2023
100% this I know these are AVN games so sex is included in these games but when I play these games I dont care about that I just view sex as something to make it more realstic, a reward / bonus / something nice to look at to take a small break from the plot. I've played games where I actually get annoyed how often sex scenes pop up but I enjoyed the characters or story. What I look for is games with good characters, story even if some of the characters aren't good if they have enough romantic, sweet or wholesome scenes that can make up for it to me.
Good to know actually. I said this in earlier comment too, but now I'm writing an AVN, it kills the plot trying to shoehorn a sex scene in the middle of an arc. Good to know more isn't always better.

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
Well it's a spectrum between flimsy story to get to the next sex scene and long winding dialogues with a soupcon of sex every now and then. The extremes of either side are bad. I have given up on games where the story between sex scenes isn't much more than the protagonist going: "Wanna fuck?" and on the other hand I have given up on games where the dev thinks of themselves as the next Shakespeare writing endless dialogue but with no substance. Like if you include a scene about eating dinner/showering/going to bed or other daily tasks it should not drag on for 10 minutes unless it is conducive to the story/character development.

Adoringfan

Engaged Member
Dec 17, 2016
The reward loop in female protagonist styled games is usually backwards. Meaning you need to fail to see the scenes. In rpgmaker games that means you have to get your ass kicked in combat. In VNs that means the mc usually acts like a bimbo, or a literal retard, because every single lecherous boss/horny teen/animal is out smarting and tricking the mc into sex. It also doesn't help that so many of the games are written very poorly too.

anan31anan

Jul 25, 2023
Because I don't like to get fucked. xD Bro, isn't it obvious? I'm even distant to TLOU Part II. Even though it has the most satisfying kill animations and "feel," I can't play it. When I play a video game, I'm connecting to the protagonist. I put myself in his shoes. That makes the fun even better. I can't do that with a female.

Last edited:

VS1995

May 3, 2023
Oh, I 100% plan to write a fully fleshed out, non-bimbo female MC ... and player choice to avoid or get out of every scenario. However, it seems many pouplar corruption games don't necessarily do this.

Ideally, if everyone enjoyed a well written story at the expense of a few sex scenes, that would be great. Nothing worse than shoehorning a sex scene in the middle of an arc cause...well...player hasn't wanked an hr now so it's about time.
Nah, Bimbo Supremacy.

Reactions: Northern_Blade

VS1995

May 3, 2023
"Male Protagonist" is often synonymous with incel game featuring incel main character in some bizarre 2-dimensional incel fantasy.
Is 50-Shades of Grey a femcel fantasy?
One where you have this unspectacular woman, but this rich and powerful and yet dangerous man comes in and ticks all of her boxes without her having to say anything , and presses buttons that she didn't even know she had just a very seductive and compelling idea for a woman?

Are these erotica stories that pander to men where you have this unspectacular man but this super sexy BOMBSHELL of a lady comes along and loves him like crazy without him having to fight and grow (which is VERY hard, by the way) a very seductive and compelling idea for a man?

Erotica makes it easy on its target audience, I mean look. . .Us guys? We can be a bit much.
Women? They can be a bit much.

Does wanting to escape from the brutal reality of "a bit much" for something simple and sexy make one an incel? Because if it does, then you have a problem . . . As my cherry has long been popped and I still get dates.

Don't get me wrong, I get it: If you spend your life reading erotica and / or hentai, and not pursuing relationships. That's a good recipe for becoming a loser.

But COME ON, bro.

Every guy worth his salt has gotten the ONE TWO punch at least ONCE. . . You know what I'm talking about . . . ? You date this girl and she treats you like crap and dumps you in a short time and you wonder : "What the fuck just happened?"

and right AFTER that you meet ANOTHER girl in a short time, you go out with her and she's a complete sourpuss who realizes she doesn't like you the moment she shows up and you are left wondering what you did wrong?

Maybe the punch isn't even 1-2 , but 1-8. . . .?

Every woman has dealt with a similar experience with guys, and THEN she has to deal with the un-datables threatening her / harassing her.

Erotica is a nice break when so many people in your city just suck and you need some time off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Northern_Blade

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
you're just describing shitty games or poorly written games, which there are a lot of for sure
well it's the pyramid of excellence. You need a vast number of shitty games/books/paintings/mechanics/etc to have a large number of mediocre ones; a decent number of good ones and one or two excellent ones. (and yes everyone starts at the bottom while only a few can rise up from there).

Sep 1, 2023
Is 50-Shades of Grey a femcel fantasy?
One where you have this unspectacular woman, but this rich and powerful and yet dangerous man comes in and ticks all of her boxes without her having to say anything , and presses buttons that she didn't even know she had just a very seductive and compelling idea for a woman?

Are these erotica stories that pander to men where you have this unspectacular man but this super sexy BOMBSHELL of a lady comes along and loves him like crazy without him having to fight and grow (which is VERY hard, by the way) a very seductive and compelling idea for a man?

Erotica makes it easy on its target audience, I mean look. . .Us guys? We can be a bit much.
Women? They can be a bit much.

Does wanting to escape from the brutal reality of "a bit much" for something simple and sexy make one an incel? Because if it does, then you have a problem . . . As my cherry has long been popped and I still get dates.

Don't get me wrong, I get it: If you spend your life reading erotica and / or hentai, and not pursuing relationships. That's a good recipe for becoming a loser.

But COME ON, bro.

Every guy worth his salt has gotten the ONE TWO punch at least ONCE. . . You know what I'm talking about . . . ? You date this girl and she treats you like crap and dumps you in a short time and you wonder : "What the fuck just happened?"

and right AFTER that you meet ANOTHER girl in a short time, you go out with her and she's a complete sourpuss who realizes she doesn't like you the moment she shows up and you are left wondering what you did wrong?

Maybe the punch isn't even 1-2 , but 1-8. . . .?

Every woman has dealt with a similar experience with guys, and THEN she has to deal with the un-datables threatening her / harassing her.

Erotica is a nice break when so many people in your city just suck and you need some time off.
I think this is the correct take on most erotica. It is an escape. Life is hard enough, and we need a little fantasy sometimes. Adult games aren't meant to be realistic or accurate, and especially if you're getting into kink territory (BDSM, Futa, Noncon, Furry etc...), sometimes not even fantasies that are meant or wanted to be lived out in real life. But that's okay. I have no plans of joining an active war zone but I enjoy roleplaying once in awhile.

Ppl will always judge other's fantasies, cause if it doesn't turn them on, or paint their gender in a desirable light, then it's probably gross and immoral.

I truly believe first person shooters no more contribute to school shootings, as one dimensional adult games contribute to incel. They're both just a stress release and a fantasy!

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2023
Nah, Bimbo Supremacy.
I am really curious to ask this then (since it sounds like you might be one of the target demographic for my upcoming game):

I am trying to create a fantasy setting corruption game with a good plot, and semi-believable female MC. However, this comes at the expense of less adult scenes. In most fantasy/scifi corruption games the world-buildling and characters are B or C grade, to get to the good stuff quickly and frequently. Case in point: Cyberslayers, Defenestration, Claire's Quest, Oni etc...

I wonder if I'm shooting myself in the foot by putting so much emphasis on character, world-building, and a tight and interesting plot. So, would a player like yourself still be interested in this type of game if it paced abit slower, had a greater emphasis on plot and character, and more natural interactions? (There are still hardcore content, but only if you get into a dangerous situation and make a choice there.)

Sep 1, 2023
The reward loop in female protagonist styled games is usually backwards. Meaning you need to fail to see the scenes. In rpgmaker games that means you have to get your ass kicked in combat. In VNs that means the mc usually acts like a bimbo, or a literal retard, because every single lecherous boss/horny teen/animal is out smarting and tricking the mc into sex. It also doesn't help that so many of the games are written very poorly too.
Yeah I do agree. I think it's meant for a different demographic though. Not the same demographic that are looking for a well-written female MC with a slow-burn plot.\

TessaXYZ

Game Developer
Mar 24, 2020
I am really curious to ask this then (since it sounds like you might be one of the target demographic for my upcoming game):

I am trying to create a fantasy setting corruption game with a good plot, and semi-believable female MC. However, this comes at the expense of less adult scenes. In most fantasy/scifi corruption games the world-buildling and characters are B or C grade, to get to the good stuff quickly and frequently. Case in point: Cyberslayers, Defenestration, Claire's Quest, Oni etc...

I wonder if I'm shooting myself in the foot by putting so much emphasis on character, world-building, and a tight and interesting plot. So, would a player like yourself still be interested in this type of game if it paced abit slower, had a greater emphasis on plot and character, and more natural interactions? (There are still hardcore content, but only if you get into a dangerous situation and make a choice there.)
I don't know why you keep thinking you'd shoot yourself in the foot. Slow burn games with strong story emphasis tend to be the ones with the most patreon support.

nossiob

Jul 28, 2017
i used to play female protag games all the way back years ago but the past years i just cant because i started to like submissive male protags way to much personally. reason i just want to "identify" myself with the playable character and i love diversity so playing the female (even if its a dominant female protag) its still always the same character.
and i personally can enjoy it way more if my pov has the dick (so futa protag is okay but not prefered)

then again i enjoy games like:
hero coruption 1+2
Zell23's games
succubus prison
SHRIFT 1+2
cursed blacksmith from ason
succubus reborn

and so on, i think you see a pattern here

Sep 1, 2023
I don't know why you keep thinking you'd shoot yourself in the foot. Slow burn games with strong story emphasis tend to be the ones with the most patreon support.
I looked thru the stats again, and I noticed for sci-fi/fantasy female MC games, having rapid fire sex scenes and more female peril content means more success.

Going off the patreon numbers: You have Eromancer outearning even EvaKiss by 2x or more. Meanwhile, tons of other creators for this genre have amazing patreon support as well, from Maelion, Project Dystopian, Anduo, Remitary (although he sells very well on steam not patreon) to the relative newer Pixdes (2k+ donations despite being out little more than a year).

I am hard pressed to find a single slow-burn scifi/fantasy themed female protagonist games that comes close to these.
In fact, games like EvaKiss, A Wife and Mother, Anna's Exciting Affair etc... are all modern slice of life.

As my story is set in a fantasy world with intricate world-building and alot of lore, I'm not sure the same players of Eva Kiss would be interested in that setting. So in the demographic who both like sci-fi/fantasy and like female protagonist, I reluctantly think slow-burn will drastically reduce interest.

I really hope I am wrong, btw, as I love a slow-burn and well-done fantasy plot. But after spending hours looking at the graphtreon numbers, I think I'm in the minority. I would be happy to be proven wrong.

Last edited: