Why do so many games force you to have Anal

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Anal sex in games is optional. You have the option of playing the game that has anal sex content or not playing it. This whole concept of asking (or demanding) developers to make various things optional has gotten out of hand, honestly. There are 10,000k+ games on here - there's enough content available that you don't need to play them all. This isn't fucking pokémon.

Geralt_R

Jun 4, 2022
Anal sex in games is optional.
The point is that even several games that don't need it and are otherwise about a very traditional pure vanilla male/female romance have it. Yes, one can always look up the tags and avoid certain tags altogether - but the available options would be drastically reduced. And the tags never really tell you if certain things are just available options or unavoidable.
I really like a game like Deliverance for example, great characters, interesting story... and it has mandatory anal sex scenes early on, later it's always optional (with one exception). Why not make it optional all the way through? Certain things like sleep molestation, anal sex, watersports etc etc should always be avoidable (unless the game is specifically just about that), set a flag through a dialogue option or so and just skip entire scenes for those who don't want it. That should be very easy to implement. Deliverance sets a flag through a dialogue option where you can enable/disable sharing for example, very early in the game. It has options for pretty much everything, threesomes, lesbian content, all set via in game dialogue... but then it has no such option (at first) for anal. Makes no sense to me.

Why this resistance against choice? The beauty of games is, compared to movies or books, that you can make them interactive with player choice having an impact on the plot or how characters behave.
Making things mandatory or unavoidable goes against that, especially when it is completely removed from the story and has no impact on anything. "Life with Mary" is such a game. It has a solo path, it's mostly about Mary and out of nowhere you get several scenes about anal sex and you can't say "nope, please skip that or let me choose something else please". Why? There aren't too many good games that have solo paths and are otherwise about a more or less traditional romance. The scenes didn't ruin Life with Mary for me, I just made a speed run through them, but it's so unnecessary to include them to begin with.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Why this resistance against choice?
It's not a resistance against choice. It's a resistance that developers need to cater to every single player's proclivities.

There is choice. You, as a player, have the choice of thousands of game titles listed on this site without any anal sex. You don't ask Coca Cola to make a drink that tastes like Pepsi Cola. You go buy a Pepsi.

4200 game titles on F95 do not have an abandoned status and have had an update in the past year.
Of those, 2800 game titles do not have the tag "anal sex".

Every time a developer adds an option, it means more time in art(posing)/scripting on one scene to make alternate options. If a developer wishes to do create options on their own - that's fine. However, remember that there are already multitudes of players whinging nonstop about the milking of developers for taking so long for "so little content".

Once you add optional anal sex then you will get players wanting optional oral sex, optional sex this position, that position. There is no end. It's literally a KY-lube slippery-slope. We already hear the crying to make NTR optional (either to add NTR or to remove NTR) - we hear the blubbering to make trap optional, trans optional, futa optional, etc.

Would you accept an anal sex optional if the choice was between:
  • The MC has anal sex with the character at this point in the story (seeing content)
  • The MC does not have any sex with the character at this point in the story (missing content)

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
Why this resistance against choice? The beauty of games is, compared to movies or books, that you can make them interactive with player choice having an impact on the plot or how characters behave.
True, but remember that for each choice you would need a new render/animation, if a dev would commit to creating a scene for every single player preference then every choice would require hundreds of renders. Would it be worth it? just to appeal to a few players that can only eat the exact same flavor of icecream throughout?

When I'm playing vns I care about branching stories with new scenes to unlock way more than being able to pick which hole to fuck or what kinks to skip... The first option gives you a more dynamic game with lots of different scenes to unlock while the second just gives you lots of small variatios of the exact same encounter or makes you miss content.

Also, some things shouldn't be skippable because they are part of the canon story, imagine playing witcher and having the option of completely skipping all combat scenes and only having Geralt fuck all chicks from the game. That wouldn't be witcher anymore.

Reactions: desmosome

Geralt_R

Jun 4, 2022
Would you accept an anal sex optional if the choice was between:
Yes. i'd be fine if that content is entirely skipped if a flag is set via dialogue choice or maybe a menu setting. I fully understand that rendering extra this and extra that may eventually become too much work. So just add an option to just skip a scene. I don't think that's difficult to implement. "If kink != anal jump to next scene" or something like that. Should be easy to implement.

I don't play these games to have as many sex scenes as possible, I try to find games that are more about a story or the romance - most of the time.

Also, some things shouldn't be skippable because they are part of the canon story
Other than Love of Magic I have yet to find one VN where a certain kink (in LoM it's anal sex of course) is an essential element of a canon story or has any relevance at all for the plot or the character (in LoM the MC thinks its the only way to perform a certain ritual that is quite important, until he finds out it's not necessary and nornal sex does the job as well, then he stops doing it like that).
Of course I have only played a small number of VNs, maybe 70 or so. I just look at what games have the highest ratings and/or are popular. I don't filter via tags; I look at what the game is about, then I read a few reviews to see if the theme/genre appeals to me and the story could be interesting and I do have a quick look at the tags, but those tags never tell you if something is just an option or mandatory content that is unskippable.

Again, I will use Deliverance as an example... the dev included flags for everything (via dialogue) for wildly different flavors and kinks. Even for anal sex, just not early on and those earlier scenes are completely irrelevant and add nothing to either the story nor the characters.

Or Dusklight Manor, if you have enough points with one character she will, out of the blue, suddenly fist another girl and put a cigarette into her vagina... completely random. There is never again a scene like that. Why make that unskippable once you have high enough love points with a girl (who is not even a lesbian or bi in the game btw)? It's cool if you like that, but something like this could easily have a dialogue flag or menu option and a check in the script to see if a scene should be skipped or played... Not even one single extra render needs to be created for that. Or at least add a warning label to the dialogue option that allows you to a) follow character #1 back the the manor or b) stay with character #2 at the lake - at that point you would think that maybe you get yet another scene with character #2. But certainly NOT a scene like that. Again, Deliverance does that... it has clear warning labels for dialogue options that will trigger scenes so you can choose something else.

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
Who the fuck cares? No one is saying anal sex is super important or integral to a story. It's your sense of entitlement and bitching that people are pointing out. You are incapable of considering the actual work others have to put in to fulfill your inane request. Nor are you able to follow the train of thought to it's logical end point. For you, it's anal, for others it's NTR or femdom, for some, it's sex itself. Where does it end? At no point do you even consider that a choice is not free. Every choice is more work for the dev. If they do it, that's great. If not, boo hoo.

Even with this example, I have no illusions that you would come to understand the nature of what your request really means. You just place the burden on the devs and make it seem like such an inconvenience for you that they didn't make the game exactly how you want it.

Geralt_R

Jun 4, 2022
And I think we merely have a discussion and that it's not about "entitlement" or "bitching". And I only talk about the games / genres I am playing and that is mostly the story focused wholesome (more or less) variety without corruption, mind control, maledom/femdom, NTR etc etc - in short, I usually (not always) pick games that have at least one "traditional" super duper vanilla romance (solo path) like you'd find in any romance movie or novel.

And my question is why even quite a few of these games (at least the ones I selected) have this kink? When it's - almost always - completely random or does not even fit the general tone (and it's often just 1 or 2 scenes and then later there ARE options to avoid it)? I know one or two things about programming, implementing a simple check that skips a scene when a flag is set is easy to implement, I may miss out on sex content, doesn't bother me, since it would be my choice and everyone else can get the scene. I don't necessarily play these VNs for the sex animations.

It was a suggestion, not a demand though. I am just wondering why these things are mandatory to begin with. Especially in games that otherwise have plenty of choices for other things. Some games or solo paths feel like Shakespeare's Romeo & Julia, only with one or two random anal sex scenes inserted. And I feel that's odd. But that's just my opinion of course. Maybe 95% of people here think it's normal and ok and maybe 95% of people here like it. I will just speed press the spacebar then and get on with it. It will not ruin my life etc. it just feels odd in these type of games / paths I play. That's all I am saying.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
I know one or two things about programming, implementing a simple check that skips a scene when a flag is set is easy to implement
I completely agree with you that making a sex scene skippable is easy, but from a game design perspective it would be an annoyance to everyone else playing, having to select "don't skip it" every single time you are faced with an individual sex scenes just because some users don't want to see them, is this really a solution to anything?

If you are playing a game that you assume was vanilla and it turns out it isn't as vanilla as you expected, either you just learn to ignore the scenes you don't like (you aren't forced to fap to them), or just move on to the next game. That is even easier than adding an annoying skip button to every single scene and it is also common sense, that's why most devs don't bother.

Reactions: PsychicStress

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
Another thing is that there is just not enough demand for this feature from players.

If there was we would see several games receiving "skippable mods" or related created by modders and fans alike, sure it is easy but someone still has to do it. And those that complain don't seem to care enough either otherwise they would be making those mods already.

Reactions: fyl3toys

Geralt_R

Jun 4, 2022
I completely agree with you that making a sex scene skippable is easy, but from a game design perspective it would be an annoyance to everyone else playing, having to select "don't skip it" every single time you are faced with an individual sex scene
That's not how I would implement it (if I were a dev), I would provide either a menu option or, even better, a more immersive in game dialogue choice that sets a flag and subsequently all the content you don't want to see will simply be skipped in its entirety. No need to constantly ask players to click "yes, please" or "nope". Just have two characters have a dialogue when it fits the story and then you have the option to have the MC say he doesn't like anal or that he loves it and then you're ready to go for the rest of the game without further input.

A few games (that I played, smallish sample size) do that and I really appreciate the effort. University of Problems does it when the topic comes up with one of the main LIs (Carol), the MC can say he's not really into that (even though she apparently is) and that's it. She is ok with that, still loves the MC, everything is good.

Again, it's not the end of the world if there are unskippable scenes, I can press the space bar pretty fast ;) I just wonder why some devs just don't include a simple "skip all content with a certain kink" dialogue option.

Only for those games of course where any given kink is not relevant to either character or plot and is more or less just yet another scene without any impact. So when the patented virgin character who is unsure about normal vaginal sex for 25 chapters but wants the MC to use the other entrance (and is totally fine with everything else) there is little you can do about it, since it's part of the actual plot. A flag would make no sense here. And skipping the scene would make no sense either.

If there was we would see several games receiving "skippable mods" or related created by modders and fans alike, sure it is easy but someone still has to do it. And those that complain don't seem to care enough either otherwise they would be making those mods already.
I created my own very simple mod for one or two games, took me about 15 minutes or so... And I know literally nothing about ren'py. But the script file is easy enough to understand and edit, adding / changing variables or deleting a few lines is easy. But you are probably correct, most people are not really bothered or else there would be "vanilla" mods.

おい!

Engaged Member
Mar 25, 2018
That is debatable. Sure, it has been around since forever. So has probably been some variation of BDSM, choking, sub/dom etc - doesn't mean that's "vanilla" though. It's an optional preference. If someone likes it, great. Nothing wrong at all about it. Do whatever makes you and your partner happy. All I am asking is... why make it mandatory and unskippable? What is wrong with making things optional? Choice is always better.
Well it is optional and skippable, because you have the option not to download any game with an anal tag. It is as simple as that.(y)

Doorknob22

Super Moderator
Game Developer
Nov 3, 2017
Simple: developers give choices when the fetish is considered controversial. Gay, Incest, NTR are all considered controversial and developers should either declare in advance they are not avoidable (if they are essential to the spirit of the game) or give the players an option to skip them.

Other fetishes like Anal, Lesbian, Big Breasts etc are considered to be "mainstream", hence require no special attention.

Carpe Stultus

Engaged Member
Sep 30, 2018
People these days are so god damn picky and complain about every little shit in adult games and demand that devs make everything to their liking. I wonder if these people also complain to EA, Bethesda and so on and demand to change their games until they completely fit their liking or do they still play the parts they aren't that fond of?

There is always the choice of not playing a game with the stuff you don't like but nope lets rather complain instead of not playing it. :FacePalm:

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
we keep having this same discussion about everything. sometimes it's a certain kink, sometimes a type of character, a platform, sandbox vs. VN or whatever. and while I don't think we should NOT talk about these (it's a forum, why else are we here), it is kinda pointless and will never arrive to a solution. because there isn't one, people will make what they want to make and that's really the end of it. our opinion is moot.

but, it kinda seems different from comics for example. it's much more rare that someone complains about a comic having too much anal or not enough anal. with a comic we tend to take it as it is. then we like it, love it, don't like it, hate it. but we don't suggest milo manara should remove the scene where a girl accidentally sits on an invisible dick up her ass. and we don't suggest manara should change the tits bigger or smaller. we just accept what is offered, and take it or leave it.

so why are we different with games? is it because it's interactive? is the existence of choices making us expect even more choices? naively it would seem that compared to a comic, having even some choices should DECREASE the complaints because more people should be getting what they want, right? but instead it seems to be the opposite. more choices seem to make us want even more choices, getting more disappointedwhen they're not there. expectations.

so now I'm wondering if even adding these optional scenes would decrease complaints, or INCREASE them? again naively we might assume nobody should have a reason to complain about adding optional routes they're not intrested in. but most of us already know people DO complain even about that.

I don't know what to make of it. my kneejerk reaction is to ignore it all and make the game I want. but maybe there is something to understand here, something that might help us make better games. and it might not be giving more options.

Fzeren

Sep 25, 2020
Petition to make all vaginal scenes optional or just removed entirely
I have no clue. For example I despise BDSM but for some reason people think it is "deep and profound spiritual" and they do BDSM with some sort of intellectual posturing attitude that always makes me lose my temper. Of course if you join BDSM spaces hoping to get pussy you are kicked out "becuase you just want pussy" instead BDSM people are all "deep spiritual and intellectual" and they interpret their roleplay as some sort of bullshit for intellectuals.
Are you currently experiencing a stroke?