What makes/breaks a game for you?

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Well you are definitely not lazy... i see you on the forums asking questions regarding game developing and your images looks great. I know of another dev here that were given very important advice yet chose not to follow it and true as bob his game came out with clipping and low quality rushed images. Knowledge is key..

So much this. Honestly, for me devs can take all the time needed to develop the game as long as it is done with love and passion. Sure it sucks to wait for new updates but knowing it will be worth it makes it worthwhile.

Reactions: Dr PinkCake
D

Dr PinkCake

Sadly with most of us being indie and working with low quality hardware, there are limits to what we can reasonably do and still run a successful patreon
I hear you. I'm lucky to have a 1080 Ti/7700k rig, yet one image in Daz3D (Nvidia Iray) takes between 20-60 minutes depending on the scene. And animations, whoo boy. Let's just say you want to be sure that the motions are spot on before pressing render.

D

Dr PinkCake

Well you are definitely not lazy... i see you on the forums asking questions regarding game developing and your images looks great. I know of another dev here that were given very important advice yet chose not to follow it and true as bob his game came out with clipping and low quality rushed images. Knowledge is key..
I would be very foolish not to follow advice from fellow devs. I mean, I'm certain and confident in the story I want to tell. But there are much leeway in how it's executed and many pitfalls too. I'm aiming to go the distance with the game I'm making, even if it will take me 1-2 years.

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
I have an AMD 8core AM3+ CPU and 1060 6GB GPU with 20GB ram... SO you're better off... My images takes around 2-3hrs and animations up to 6hrs... and then it's shitty 1260 resolution..

I hear you. I'm lucky to have a 1080 Ti/7700k rig, yet one image in Daz3D (Nvidia Iray) takes between 20-60 minutes depending on the scene. And animations, whoo boy. Let's just say you want to be sure that the motions are spot on before pressing render.

D

Dr PinkCake

I have an AMD 8core AM3+ CPU and 1060 6GB GPU with 20GB ram... SO you're better off... My images takes around 2-3hrs and animations up to 6hrs... and then it's shitty 1260 resolution..
That's still pretty good! The 1080 Ti is way overpriced due to crypto mining atm. I do 1280x720 renders too. I read that many do higher res and abort the rendering to downscale to 1280x720. The nearest neighbor principle makes the images nicer. But seriously, for Ren'Py games 1280x720 is sufficient.
Are you using a batch script for rendering overnight aswell?

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Batch script??? dude dont swear at me LOL... I just run Image Series and go to bed... I render in 3000 or 3500 res my images and try to do 1920 res for animations...

That's still pretty good! The 1080 Ti is way overpriced due to crypto mining atm. I do 1280x720 renders too. I read that many do higher res and abort the rendering to downscale to 1280x720. The nearest neighbor principle makes the images nicer. But seriously, for Ren'Py games 1280x720 is sufficient.
Are you using a batch script for rendering overnight aswell?

Rythan25

Engaged Member
Feb 20, 2018
NTR by far breaks a game for me... The messed up stereotypical kind (the real one) a lot of people here seem to think NTR means any girl having sex with any male that isnt the protagonist... which is dumb...

Basically if your trying to seduce your family in the game, and the couple next door have sex, people scream "NTR ! how dare her husband bang the milf next door!!" I for one dont care, let the milf next door have her fun, we might get our turn eventually ! Same goes if mom dates before we seduce her, or sister already has an established boyfriend...

To me Eric from BB wasnt hate-able because he was banging Ann(mom) I moved past that as I knew eventually the MC was gonna get her (if the game hadnt been abandoned, Thank you mods for filling in the blanks !!) He was hate-able because even if you extended an olive branch to his punk ass, the very next week the dude is trying to get your mom to ship you to Military School so that he could have his way with your sisters as well, and try to con your family out of your own home... **** him sideways !! so I only saw Eric as a NTR attempt on Alice and Lisa since Ann didnt belong to us in the first place (he stole nothing)

For real NTR that ticks me off, look at Girlfriends Amnesia, and the character Adrian, I hated that mofo form the start, he had his shot at the main girl, was a rapey creep and lost his chance, yet the writing in the game places him as her doctor's assistant so he can molest main girl in elevator, later on (through bad choices, kudos to author for making it a choice for cucks only) he can slam the hell out of main girl infuriating the player !! Lastly the endings in the game, the main ending isnt happy, its bitter-sweet and melancholic, the twin sister ending is kinda messed up but happy, and has an awesome "in your face" moment", but the NTR ending ?!!? The dude gets rewarded for all his rape and shadyness, his ending has him rich, successful, famous, steals our girl, impregnates her? (might be MC's baby) and the main girl gets cured of the amnesia in his route...

Corruption also gets on my nerves cause very few people can pull it off well, most just make the female main character a filthy slutty piece of human meat that a dog wouldnt want to pee on...So far the only good ones I have played were Coceter Chronicles, and so far A Wife and Mother. In those two games the female MC is slowly corrupting, she is having urges to bang people not her life partner and what not, but she isnt so far at least being blackmailed into it, forced, raped, etc. She chooses who she ****s with !! She is still cheating and becoming a slut, but with people she wants rather than the entire town.

Reactions: Aiden
Jun 6, 2017
For real NTR that ticks me off, look at Girlfriends Amnesia, and the character Adrian, I hated that mofo form the start, he had his shot at the main girl, was a rapey creep and lost his chance, yet the writing in the game places him as her doctor's assistant so he can molest main girl in elevator, later on (through bad choices, kudos to author for making it a choice for cucks only) he can slam the hell out of main girl infuriating the player !! Lastly the endings in the game, the main ending isnt happy, its bitter-sweet and melancholic, the twin sister ending is kinda messed up but happy, and has an awesome "in your face" moment", but the NTR ending ?!!? The dude gets rewarded for all his rape and shadyness, his ending has him rich, successful, famous, steals our girl, impregnates her? (might be MC's baby) and the main girl gets cured of the amnesia in his route...
Bolded some interesting parts, hope you don't mind.

THIS is what makes a game for me. Theres nothing quite as satisfying as watching such a loathsome tragedy happen right in front of me. Its always interesting to hear reactions of people without a shred of an interest in NTR.
And I don't mean that in a sarcastic sense either because fundamentally its the same feeling that makes people like me love experiencing a nice and painful NTR story. It only feels good to me because I empathize with the character and
I think thats why people who hate the genre feel the way they do as well. It probably means the people who hate NTR are actually more capable of immersing themselves in a story since the reaction is so strong in them. Totally get the aversion though.

So what makes a game for me is a good and harsh NTR story that establishes the characters well and
takes its time to make you really care before slowly, SLOOOOOOWLY slipping down into pain.
Not many good examples of the type I like, but NTRPG 2 and My Girlfriends Amnesia are both good.
NTRPG 2 for that freedom of movement and the slow start it has gives me that nice tingle in my back as the starting events are really slow going and you don't see much. Really nice.

I also really value sound and movement, strangely enough. It's probably one of the reasons I don't like visual novel style games as much. Going back to NTRPG 2 again, you get to move around and get used to the area as characters are introduced. Then when the NTR starts, you get very brief glimpses and SOUNDS. Bed creaking, stifled moans, and that feeling of dread. The game also only uses RPG maker style sprites in its sex scenes, but they're animated well and have really nice sounds to go with them. These things combined make it feel great to play. I love that. Nothings been able to top the way NTRPG 2 handles itself. Mwah. Beautiful~<3

Now what breaks a game for me... I don't know... Harems maybe? I mean being a NTR guy feels like the anti-harem.

P.S
(might be MC's baby)
If you're seeing the NTR ending its going to be the worst case scenario. THE WORST~

Seriously, I don't want to sound like a dickhead but I hope you can learn to take these games with a
bit more relaxed attitude. It makes me feel bad (And not in the way that gives me a chub)to see people get pissed at these games when we're all just here to jack it. Again, no offense. Peace.

dankums120

Jan 7, 2018
when a game has lets you decide what to say in certain situations but it ultimately has no impact whatsoever on the course of the game, it pretty much kills it for me. Like why have choices at all if the path is linear no matter what.

Reactions: Raven Hex
D

Dr PinkCake

NTR makes a game for me.
Harem breaks the game for me(and tentacles... :) )
alittle bit of grind is ok, but lets not overdo it
What is it about NTR you find so appealing? And what level of NTR are we talking about, a reasonable amount or overpowered NTR (cuckolding)?

Pyrielone

Nov 28, 2017
My only turn off's is the sissyfication of the MC and even then when its only forced. I personally love The Company and if you're not careful you can turn into a sissy. The other one is cuckold, because I can not understand personally the mindset that drives a person to be happy about being cheated on.
Aside from those 2 turn off's I'm fair game on just about any other subject fetish-wise, my turn on's are the art, flow and story of the game the fetish is second to the quality of the content.

metalbeard

Apr 1, 2017
Oooo boy, will I have a field day replying to this thread!

*cracks em knuckles*

Let's Go!!!

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

And that's my rant done--- somewhat
Didn't proofread it, so excuse them mistakes. Well at least its not machine translation :D

PS. Goblinboy, please come back

D

Dr PinkCake

Oooo boy, will I have a field day replying to this thread!

*cracks em knuckles*

Let's Go!!!

And that's my rant done--- somewhat
Didn't proofread it, so excuse them mistakes. Well at least its not machine translation :D

PS. Goblinboy, please come back

Thank you a lot for your detailed comment. It was very helpful. One thing I'd like to know more about is the "Options galore" part, as it certainly made me think a bit extra about story telling.
Don't you find it fun to not know if an option is important or not? By limiting the number of options, it's very evident that each option is important. By having a lot of options, it may or may not be important, but it can widen the experience by letting your character express your own thoughts, adding to the immersion.
Or are you simply against options that leads to game over screens or will obviously have a negative impact that spoils the game?

In my upcoming game (Episode 1 is released for free next friday) I have a different system than most VNs, where all stats are hidden to the player, never to be explicitly revealed. In the end of each episode you will be given a relationship report on your choices and how NPCs feel towards you. This system calls for several choices to be made throughout the episodes and some of them definitely will be major as the story evolves, while others may not have any impact. For a player such as yourself, is that a system you'd dislike?

freedom.call

Donor
Mar 8, 2018
Don't you find it fun to not know if an option is important or not?
I do! However, especially in daily life games, I frown upon game overs unless it's painfully obvious (like meeting someone for the first time and say show me your tits and such).

By limiting the number of options, it's very evident that each option is important. By having a lot of options, it may or may not be important, but it can widen the experience by letting your character express your own thoughts, adding to the immersion.
Thing is, most of us play the game from 0.01 or whatever and we play every version if we like it, and I think most of us would want choices to at least have some meaning. I think when we make choices we'd like to see something new, the worst thing for me is having to do something I don't want to do and there is no choice... :)

Or are you simply against options that leads to game over screens or will obviously have a negative impact that spoils the game?
Well game over tends to have a negative impact, but like I said it depends how it's done.

This system calls for several choices to be made throughout the episodes and some of them definitely will be major as the story evolves, while others may not have any impact. For a player such as yourself, is that a system you'd dislike?
I don't really mind any system, this is fine. I once got a game over because I wasn't bold enough, opposite of what you normally see. Don't remember which game it was, but that felt like the dev wanted to trick the player.

I know your post was to someone else but I responded anyway. :D

D

Dr PinkCake

I do! However, especially in daily life games, I frown upon game overs unless it's painfully obvious (like meeting someone for the first time and say show me your tits and such).

Thing is, most of us play the game from 0.01 or whatever and we play every version if we like it, and I think most of us would want choices to at least have some meaning. I think when we make choices we'd like to see something new, the worst thing for me is having to do something I don't want to do and there is no choice... :)

Well game over tends to have a negative impact, but like I said it depends how it's done.

I don't really mind any system, this is fine. I once got a game over because I wasn't bold enough, opposite of what you normally see. Don't remember which game it was, but that felt like the dev wanted to trick the player.

I know your post was to someone else but I responded anyway. :D
Thanks, I want input from all sources possible! Especially when you can relate to what's written. I definitely agree on the choice of consent. It is horrible to click through a scene because you're forced to sleep with someone you don't find attractive, or if you don't like devil's threesomes. That is definitely game breaking for me!
I'm not a fan of game over screens but they are not game breaking, just an annoyance.
I think I know which game you're referring to, but the name eludes me as well.

Reactions: freedom.call

Urusaisenpai

Walkthough-mod Creators are a godsent <3
Donor
Apr 30, 2017
It's pretty easy for me.
Any game that has consequences if you Ejaculate inside for the risk of impregnation. Since alot of games nowadays you can cum buckets inside somebody without any effect annoys me.

But if the game has NTR, i will mostly skip it.

Reactions: HB38

freedom.call

Donor
Mar 8, 2018
i dont know if this has already been told but having to start all over with each new update is total turn off.
I don't mind the first 2-3 updates but yeah, be done with changing the game structure by then please.

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
I don't mind the first 2-3 updates but yeah, be done with changing the game structure by then please.
Same here. Futher it depends a lot on the way you have to restart. If you have to replay literally every bit of old content just to get the new content it's really bad, if you can just access the new content and ignore most of the old content (like for example in Summertime Saga) it's fine for me.