Vox Gremory - DxD Parody Game [Development Thread]

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Unfortunately I've been quite busy this month, and I also made a couple of dumb mistakes that wasted more time than I'd like to admit :cry:, still, I managed to do what I aimed for this month.

I made a new project to install the fresh latest version of the framework and I also thought I'd use this opportunity to give Unity 2021 a shot (been using 2019 so far), the move went fairly smooth, and with the content done the last month, I did the initialization script which replaces the caution screen and will show up just one, making the game take much less time to get into the main menu, then I redid the UI and the missing stuff.

I cheated a bit and am using the default UI because it looks simple yet modern, and dark themed which is one of the colors the game uses (Black, White, Red). It happened to fit the look I was looking for, so I am keeping it for now. In the past I had purchased an UI pack which also fit the look of the game, so perhaps in future I will update it to give the game a fresh look, but that's not a priority for now.

Controls.png
Among that, I also added remappable controls, something that is even missing from my current project at the moment, and finally got around to replace the dialogue box with a much simpler one (You can kind of see it in the background on the screenshot above), it has the space for portraits (some minor characters will use those as opposed to full body sprites), and on the other side I decided to put the transparency slider since it looked kind of ugly and crumpled up with the quickbox.

I am also retesting the game, making a few minor edits along the way, and also added a few other things while I am at it such as a toggle for autosave, and the possibility to rename the protagonist. Since I kind of more or less know what people usually want, it is much easier to put that stuff now and plan the systems around it.

I think that's pretty much it, the other stuff are just attempts to optimize the game as much as possible from the start, and avoid some of the mistakes I did in my past project. Other than that, I'd have liked giving a shot to other platforms (Android and WebGL), but I am already running out of time for this month and will have to go back updating my current project, so that'll have to wait next month.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
phone.png

Ultimately I've decided to drop the multiple buttons idea, and just put a phone to manage everything as many other visual novels and games do to have everything in a place. Phone is simple and only has the essential, so you will have everything in a single screen, with some "eye-candy" as well for immersion, which includes...

Time (and date) reflect the game's stage in the story... While it is not completely lore friendly, the first chapter in the first volume happens in April and after some research on when when school works starts in Japan, 11 April sounds very likely (with Raynare inviting Issei out on Sunday, his only free day as Saturday is also a school day for him).
Time is only needed for heroines' birthdays (Special Scenes), but it is otherwise just aesthetic and immersive to give more weight on how much time has passed between each event.

Weather (but not temperature) only affects some minigames (Delivering leaflets in your bike with Asia behind you while raining will be more difficult, for instance), otherwise it is just aesthetic. For instance, your room might have the occasional thunder or two, while there's a gentle rain sound playing on the background.

Status will be the place where you can raise Issei's stats by spending experience (There'll be no levels) and will get a notification when experience to be spent is available.

Messages is pretty self explanatory, and might contain the occasional extra CG to unlock. When you have a new message, a notification will appear (as shown in the screenshot above).

Notes are the objectives to progress with the main storyline.

Settings will allow you to change your phone's background, change time format, temperature format, and also set the clock to display your system's time (but not weather/temperature, as the game is completely offline).

Cheats offer a simple to use menu to... Cheat. It will require a code which will be given to all Deity tiers in my Patreon/Subscribestar.

More options might be added in future, or even before the game's release depending on how much I can fit in the "status" screen.

Reactions: AlterInfernalAllius

MattSS

Apr 30, 2018
The list of planned heroines is great. I just wonder if we will ever get Yasaka (The Fox MILF). But that's something to worry about for way later since it takes a while for her to show up in the story.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
The list of planned heroines is great. I just wonder if we will ever get Yasaka (The Fox MILF). But that's something to worry about for way later since it takes a while for her to show up in the story.
I do not like taking bets and promising stuff, but Yasaka is a pretty safe one.

Reactions: MattSS

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Despite the first and second release being completed for a while, I've been adding more content and refining what's already there:

This thread will no longer be updated as the project has been officially announced on my and pages, instead you'll be able to follow the development of the game over there.
I'll still watch this thread to answer questions or read other feedback.

Reactions: AlterInfernalAllius