Vox Gremory - DxD Parody Game [Development Thread]

AlterInfernalAllius

Aug 4, 2017
To be fair, Rias is kind of nerdish in some ways, just not when it comes to Eroge
An Otaku of high-caliber on top of having no issues with her man having 15+ other women and a tendency to get naked constantly, she really is fantastic XD

Also:

Many people ship Saji x Sona, that's why it is kind of risky for me to add Issei x Sona, even though from my point of view it is very likely Sona will actually become canon while there's no chance for Tsubaki to ever lose interest in Kiba.
I wanna point out my entire point was that Tsubaki has, at least if you stick to Canon as you're saying, even less of a chance with Kiba than Saji does with Sona, as he doesn't seem to be even interested in the right gender for her to even have the slightest chance, and also because "there is no chance she would ever lose interest in Kiba" technically isn't true, at least not after the author wrote Ruruko able to get over her feelings for Saji (Who she realistically should have had more of a chance than Tsubaki with Yuuto, again as per Canon writing of the characters at least), you would have also thought neither she nor Momo would ever get over what they felt for Saji early on yet it happened, so writing her to fall for Issei somehow would not be unrealistic, especially in an H-game (Though again, you're the creator and you have the final say in this regardless, just wanted to make clear that following your stated rules she was technically more than possible/fair game XP).

Also, at the end of the day, this is a Harem H-game, I'm pretty sure most people will care way more about the girls getting to be fucked by the MC than anything else. While the realistic writing and canon-accuracy is appreciated, let's be honest...over 90% of people looking up for DxD don't really know/don't give a shit about Canon or the characters being written correctly, most people downloading this game will mainly be doing so to see as many of the DxD waifus as they can getting some :p

MattSS

Apr 30, 2018
That's not to say I couldn't make an interactable with it, the door is also hidden after all, but I already put an unlockable CG elsewhere for the beginning of the game.
As you add new girls to your harem, Issei's room begins to have posters of the girls?

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
As you add new girls to your harem, Issei's room begins to have posters of the girls?
No, by that point the house will be post-renovation and his room will be pretty much a big bed in the middle of the room, and a sofa with a few lamps.
The house itself will have more locations and unlockables, but his room will be pretty bare.

billyjoebobmartin

Dec 8, 2020
No, by that point the house will be post-renovation and his room will be pretty much a big bed in the middle of the room, and a sofa with a few lamps.
The house itself will have more locations and unlockables, but his room will be pretty bare.
how bare bones! is such conditions bearable?! no wonder canon issei couldn't bare his feeling very well! (can't think of a good fourth pun atm)

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
battledxd.png

Finished this month's update for Legacy of Hestia a few days ago, and I've been doing the battle system for DxD.
As the screenshot suggests, I am just putting the UI in place, and using some placeholders for things I am unsure about, although some things are final (such as two of the action icons on the top left).

For now, the battle system has no code (aside from being able to display a grid which will be useful later), since the first combat won't happen for a while, it's not a big priority, so I am just getting some of the most time consuming things done since I already have the pseudocode for the battle system, and all the mechanics I'd like it to have.

It may look kind of messy, so I'll do my best to explain what you are looking at: On top left you have all the actions your currently selected unit can perform, only an action per turn can be performed. For instance, Issei in a turn can decide to move and use his boosted gear to double his power, but won't be able to attack. Most actions will consume MP, so all units will be able to perform a normal attack instead of an action.
Most "normal attacks" are fairly weak, but some units can make use of those as well... For instance, Akeno can use her normal attack to aim at any enemy in the board, and while the damage will be weaker than her action-spells, her sadism trait will boost her damage everytime she hits an enemy, sort like a very weak boosted gear.

The boost (or other passive effects that affect the character) will be displayed next to the HP/MP, those little squares.
I'm still unsure about their placement, or how many slots there should be, but in the actual game that space will be empty.
I might decide to display them horizontally instead, and increase the size of HP/MP so to fill that space completely.

The log on the top right will display all your actions, similarly to the battle log used in Legacy of Hestia.
You will be able to hide it, but there won't be much purpose in doing so... The black part of the screen will have a background which changes depending on where the combat is taking place. The first one will take place in an abandoned structure, so the black space will display a broken floor or something. Again, pretty similar to the combat backgrounds I currently use in Legacy of Hestia.

Finally, there is the actual stage where the combat takes place.
Units will be placed the same way as you'd place the pieces in a chessboard, and while the actual combat system will follow some of the rules of chess, being able to play chess is not required at all.
The combat is turn based like a classic RPG, but there are some elements of strategy in it, which will require you to learn about your units' strength and weaknesses.

I mentioned how Akeno's unique trait could be used to boost her power while saving up on her MP, but chess pieces also play an important part, and Issei as a pawn can promote in any of them, and use them accordingly.
As a pawn, he can move only 1 square; However, if he'd promote to knight, he can cover a lot more ground, it depends if you want to rush and attack your enemy right away, or take your time to boost yourself. You can even decide to attack from a long range (once you unlock the actions to do so), but magic attacks will always be more powerful when you are a Queen, and the promotion to that chess piece can occur only if you manage to reach the other side of the board.

The game will not feature any auto combat system, but an in-game way to auto-win them through the use of collectionable points, so as long as you are not too wasteful, the game can play as mostly a pure VN. There'll be cheats for Patrons as well ofc.
However, skipping combats won't always be a good idea after Issei gets the action to Dress Break, as that will unlock unique CGs (Aside from destroying female opponents' defence).

AlterInfernalAllius

Aug 4, 2017
View attachment 3039545

Finished this month's update for Legacy of Hestia a few days ago, and I've been doing the battle system for DxD.
As the screenshot suggests, I am just putting the UI in place, and using some placeholders for things I am unsure about, although some things are final (such as two of the action icons on the top left).

For now, the battle system has no code (aside from being able to display a grid which will be useful later), since the first combat won't happen for a while, it's not a big priority, so I am just getting some of the most time consuming things done since I already have the pseudocode for the battle system, and all the mechanics I'd like it to have.

It may look kind of messy, so I'll do my best to explain what you are looking at: On top left you have all the actions your currently selected unit can perform, only an action per turn can be performed. For instance, Issei in a turn can decide to move and use his boosted gear to double his power, but won't be able to attack. Most actions will consume MP, so all units will be able to perform a normal attack instead of an action.
Most "normal attacks" are fairly weak, but some units can make use of those as well... For instance, Akeno can use her normal attack to aim at any enemy in the board, and while the damage will be weaker than her action-spells, her sadism trait will boost her damage everytime she hits an enemy, sort like a very weak boosted gear.

The boost (or other passive effects that affect the character) will be displayed next to the HP/MP, those little squares.
I'm still unsure about their placement, or how many slots there should be, but in the actual game that space will be empty.
I might decide to display them horizontally instead, and increase the size of HP/MP so to fill that space completely.

The log on the top right will display all your actions, similarly to the battle log used in Legacy of Hestia.
You will be able to hide it, but there won't be much purpose in doing so... The black part of the screen will have a background which changes depending on where the combat is taking place. The first one will take place in an abandoned structure, so the black space will display a broken floor or something. Again, pretty similar to the combat backgrounds I currently use in Legacy of Hestia.

Finally, there is the actual stage where the combat takes place.
Units will be placed the same way as you'd place the pieces in a chessboard, and while the actual combat system will follow some of the rules of chess, being able to play chess is not required at all.
The combat is turn based like a classic RPG, but there are some elements of strategy in it, which will require you to learn about your units' strength and weaknesses.

I mentioned how Akeno's unique trait could be used to boost her power while saving up on her MP, but chess pieces also play an important part, and Issei as a pawn can promote in any of them, and use them accordingly.
As a pawn, he can move only 1 square; However, if he'd promote to knight, he can cover a lot more ground, it depends if you want to rush and attack your enemy right away, or take your time to boost yourself. You can even decide to attack from a long range (once you unlock the actions to do so), but magic attacks will always be more powerful when you are a Queen, and the promotion to that chess piece can occur only if you manage to reach the other side of the board.

The game will not feature any auto combat system, but an in-game way to auto-win them through the use of collectionable points, so as long as you are not too wasteful, the game can play as mostly a pure VN. There'll be cheats for Patrons as well ofc.
However, skipping combats won't always be a good idea after Issei gets the action to Dress Break, as that will unlock unique CGs (Aside from destroying female opponents' defence).
Man, the level of detail you're putting into this is truly amazing, great work!

Also, LOL, using Dress Break during chess sounds fucking hilarious yet something Issei would totally do. Also sounds like the way he would manage to win and 'accidentally' become Sona's fiance XD

Reactions: Winterfire

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Updated the main thread with the latest changes, since it was long overdue.

The first two releases (Public and the one I will be putting on Patreon) are done, at this point I am just extending some scenes and refining them up, there's not much else to do.
The only part that is missing from being able to actually release them is UI (Nothing too drastic, just minor stuff like replacing the dialogue box with a prettier one since I dislike the current one), and for this I am waiting for since it changes many things and I do not want to redo the same thing twice.

As far as I know, it should come by the end of this year, which (in the best scenario) is about the same time I will need to complete the last routes of my current project.
If that doesn't happen, I can always use the pre-release since it would be easier to upgrade from it than 1.18.2.

I will continue updating you guys here if I add anything else interesting, but I believe the next major post will be the actual announcement of the release, at the beginning of the next year or so.

billyjoebobmartin

Dec 8, 2020
hey winter, will girding stats and/or skills be an optional feature? if it will be, would it be limited to issei? will grinding extend to other character with a shared exp bar type thing? or would we grind each character specifically?

ideally (for me) grinding would be completely optional and would be character specific (or limited to those invited to train and/or spar). possibly with a new game+ feature as well. :KEK:

For instance, Akeno can use her normal attack to aim at any enemy in the board, and while the damage will be weaker than her action-spells, her sadism trait will boost her damage everytime she hits an enemy, sort like a very weak boosted gear.
random spitball alternative, if her sadism trait buff ends up too underpowered it could be an idea to have her normal attacks be double/triple hits. maybe depending on passive upgrades? like default only has a 50% chance to double hit, first passive bumps that 50% to 100%, second passive gives triple hit, etc.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Will Issei have a limited number of boost in the beginning, and with time or level up will be able to use more?
Yes, it will be limited by his body as per canon.
However, since battles are designed to last a certain number of rounds, unless you purposely drag it on, you'll probably never encounter said limit.
Boost doubles his abilities, which can be useful later on when he can reach a higher limit, but it is also useless at the beginning since the double of 1 would be 2, and the double of 2 would be 4... Even after 3 rounds boosting he wouldn't reach 10 which I use as the minimum stat.

hey winter, will girding stats and/or skills be an optional feature? if it will be, would it be limited to issei? will grinding extend to other character with a shared exp bar type thing? or would we grind each character specifically?

ideally (for me) grinding would be completely optional and would be character specific (or limited to those invited to train and/or spar). possibly with a new game+ feature as well. :KEK:
It'll be optional to patrons as they will get cheats.
However, even without cheating I am designing the game to be a plesant experience, so I wouldn't call it "grinding".
You will get experience in multiple ways (Delivery, push ups with Rias on your back, combats, and even some special actions such as Dress Break), you will even have the possibility to get experience by interacting with your harem once you unlock it.

All that experience can then be spent on your stats to raise them, whose limit is your "potential" (your cap) which increases everytime Rias unlocks it further, just like in the canon. I'll even add a button to reset it, so you can respend your experience differently if you want (I know I'd want one since I am always scared to screw up x) ).

You'll be able to raise only your protagonist, all the other characters will do so automatically.
I can't even imagine a new game + x) There are 25 volumes to cover...

random spitball alternative, if her sadism trait buff ends up too underpowered it could be an idea to have her normal attacks be double/triple hits. maybe depending on passive upgrades? like default only has a 50% chance to double hit, first passive bumps that 50% to 100%, second passive gives triple hit, etc.
It should be underpowered, it is an extra and it should never be comparable to the boosted gear. All characters will have passives, even the MC.

Reactions: billyjoebobmartin

billyjoebobmartin

Dec 8, 2020
hmm, interesting.
You'll be able to raise only your protagonist, all the other characters will do so automatically.
I can't even imagine a new game + x) There are 25 volumes to cover...
fair, and darn. i was just coming up with some wacky ideas for new game+ going non-canon. with the premise of issei being similar to vali in terms of initial comparability with his boosted gear. maybe even staying as a human/dragon but still allying with rias anyways due to circumstance. (asia kidnapped event) and the majority of other events happening anyways due to him being around, allied, and pursuing a relationship with/to rias. but with the events happening slightly differently or having slightly different results. and possibly some early bonus scenes with issei using his dressbreak and oppai/heart reading skills way before he gets them in canon.
It should be underpowered, it is an extra and it should never be comparable to the boosted gear. All characters will have passives, even the MC.
fair point.

billyjoebobmartin

Dec 8, 2020
Honestly, I do not know. That's way too far, I didn't plan so much ahead.
there's always the option of non-canon bonus scenes. if i remember right you plan to split this story into segments with carry over saves right? you could opt for 1 non-canon lewd scene each for planned lewdable characters, or just a series of smutty renders, for each game segment.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
there's always the option of non-canon bonus scenes. if i remember right you plan to split this story into segments with carry over saves right? you could opt for 1 non-canon lewd scene each for planned lewdable characters, or just a series of smutty renders, for each game segment.
No, that's only for Legacy of Hestia because it reached 5gb and most free hosts are limited (Pixeldrain used to be 10gb, now it's 5gb, same goes for MEGA).
DANMACHI also kind of changes in style after volume 8, so a Dungeon Crawler no longer fits the story imho, so splitting the game in two worked best in that case.

However, I much rather have a single game that covers the series much like I did with Overlord, I am also hoping to do the same with Vox Gremory.

There'll be non canon scenes, especially for patron-only rewards, honestly anything goes as long as there's no NTR.
I just haven't planned for Volume... idk, was it 20? something like that, that's way too far.