To all who hates RPGM and RPGM Games...

nulnil

May 18, 2021
I think what most people don't realize about turn-based combat is that strategy is a very important element. The reason why we have things like elemental damage types is so you can't spam the highest damage move every turn, you'll actually have to find different ways to win different fights.

As for an example, Fear & Hunger treats combat like puzzles, finding the right solution leads to an almost guarenteed (and usually safe) victory.

Dec 3, 2020
RPGM like any other engine is just a tool. You can make anything worth while with any tool. The problem is that for one reason or another developers that tend to gravitate toward the RPGM engine also tend to be the most inexperienced developers in general. RPGs in general are some of the most difficult systems to develop period even for veterans, so effectively you are witnessing an entire section of the industry made up of first time swimmers jumping right into the deep end of the pool. While some can tread water, and some might even swim gracefully, the vast majority just sink to the bottom and drown horribly. Everytime I see a new game by a brand new dev using RPGM I wish I could just sit them down and tell them to just make a simple Kinetic VN in Renpy first. The game comes out, its predictably and fundementally broken, gets next to no feedback because why bother, gets maybe up to update 0.2 and then dies in obscurity. A sad fate.

Insomnimaniac Games

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 25, 2017
RPGM like any other engine is just a tool. You can make anything worth while with any tool. The problem is that for one reason or another developers that tend to gravitate toward the RPGM engine also tend to be the most inexperienced developers in general. RPGs in general are some of the most difficult systems to develop period even for veterans, so effectively you are witnessing an entire section of the industry made up of first time swimmers jumping right into the deep end of the pool. While some can tread water, and some might even swim gracefully, the vast majority just sink to the bottom and drown horribly. Everytime I see a new game by a brand new dev using RPGM I wish I could just sit them down and tell them to just make a simple Kinetic VN in Renpy first. The game comes out, its predictably and fundementally broken, gets next to no feedback because why bother, gets maybe up to update 0.2 and then dies in obscurity. A sad fate.
I think this happens because RPGM is seen as the "easy" option, which it is if you're making the most barebones game. However, once you start getting into certain plugins and custom scripting that "easy" goes right out the window. Renpy is far easier at that point. Personally, I like learning, so I took a "fuck it, we ball" approach and spent many hours learning how to use RPGM for more than it's most basic functions.

Reactions: Brine_Basilisk

hu lover

Forum Fanatic
Jul 27, 2022
I have played a few RPGM games and must say I have enjoyed most of them throughout. However, the only downside of these type of games is that they are pretty challenging and difficult, most of the time its better to cheat your way through the game, despite how fucking difficult the game is.