aifman7

Oct 25, 2017
Don't let the haters dissuade you, dazed. I used to be pretty fervently against the really awful, low quality MTLs we got before these new AI tools hit the scene and I avoided those crappy translations because of their lack of effort.

I could always tell when a "translator" didn't put any actual effort or care into their work when you fire the game up and immediately notice a lack of word wrap, or menus not being translated. Just seemed like they extracted all the text from the game files, ran it through a translator, fired the game up to make sure it launched and then sent it straight to Latest Updates. That stuff was garbage.

Now I'm not going to even try to assume I understand the work involved with translating or doing localization work, even for that aforementioned garbage... but it seems to me that you actually care about the quality of the end result far more than those folks I mention above.

Would I prefer a handcrafted, fan translated version instead of ChatGPT 3.5 Turbo? Absolutely, and I think just about everyone would (probably yourself included, I imagine). But like so many others have said, the chances of that happening for most of these games is so slim that we'll be waiting until the heat death of the universe before some of these titles get the English treatment. So until then, I hope you'll continue doing whatever magic you do to give us playable versions of these hidden gems.

Anyways, this comment's already getting long so I'll cut it here.

-~-

tl;dr - I hated old MTLs because the only MTLs we got were dumpster fires (usually without something as basic as word wrap). Your translations are in a completely different ballpark from that crap! Keep on keepin' on, you do great work dude. Thanks again

• Red Heart
Reactions: dazedanon

Sayathing

Nov 27, 2020
Yay another thread where half the posts are people whining about MTL for a game they're pirating.
Normally I'd agree with them but considering these shits are complaining even with the quality Daze works; it's honestly just petty attitude.

I understand the context and God knows as a customer service worldwide I've talked to actual Americans or Europeans speak worse English than Daze's MTL lmao.

Astriedax

May 15, 2017
Amazing... "I don't like MTL, so NOBODY should play it or be allowed to see it."

Where the fuck those creeps come from? Hell?

kidlat020

Jul 5, 2017
now I have to ask because a lot of what Lira is saying doesn't make sense.

it's after you beat the last boss fight in the east cave. i chose to "support Lira and leave it to her.". it's after that choice. there's a lot of things that confuses me. who's she talking to, the pronoun she's using, or even if who she's referring to is correct in the first place etc.

sorry but this dialogue alone cannot be fixed by chatgpt. so if anyone could post the summary that will help a lot.

and this should give the mtl haters a real bullet to argue. not just some flimsy blanket statement that doesn't provide example.

dazedanon

Engaged Member
Modder
Uploader
Donor
Jul 24, 2017
now I have to ask because a lot of what Lira is saying doesn't make sense.

it's after you beat the last boss fight in the east cave. i chose to "support Lira and leave it to her.". it's after that choice. there's a lot of things that confuses me. who's she talking to, the pronoun she's using, or even if who she's referring to is correct in the first place etc.

sorry but this dialogue alone cannot be fixed by chatgpt. so if anyone could post the summary that will help a lot.

and this should give the mtl haters a real bullet to argue. not just some flimsy blanket statement that doesn't provide example.
Are you talking about the important conversation between Erito and Lira when she asks you to follow her? The pronouns make it confusing but she's talking about Aina (dragonkin person). The MTL fails here because the AI thinks shes talking about Erito. Actually I think this is a good pain point to see if I can improve its capabilities a bit so thanks for pointing it out.

Otherwise I think the conversation is fairly easy to understand. She saw Aina fight a bunch of monsters in the village, admired her strength even though Aina is fairly small stature wise. Then she goes on about how its better for talented people to be rewarded for their efforts and that the village is too small for great people like them.

dazedanon

Engaged Member
Modder
Uploader
Donor
Jul 24, 2017
So yeah after messing with some things it turned out a bit better.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Overall though I think its pretty good MTL. Makes perfect sense to me and isn't too hard to read. I bet GPT4 would do a better job, but alas I'm not made of money.

gantos

Feb 24, 2018
Overall though I think its pretty good MTL. Makes perfect sense to me and isn't too hard to read. I bet GPT4 would do a better job, but alas I'm not made of money.
Yeah have done some samples with gpt4, could also try to use an autogpt director to categorize text prior to translation, and send the tough stuff to GPT4 and everything else to gpt3.5 turbo. Could mitigate cost.
Or autogpt could get stuck in a loop and burn through a couple grand in utilization just trying to categorize everything.
We need better local japanese llm's damnit. we've got good ones for german and spanish now, but they alllll suck at japanese.

Reactions: dazedanon

Rudra

Jan 12, 2018
Half of the thread is talking about MTL, lol..

Still, seeing Dark Hero Party again even if it's a side story and my favorite girl among the girls of the original (excluding the dark girl who was introduced so much later) getting so destroyed is still a pain. Man, the dragon and god of this world were truly asshats for letting this happen. I just want to play the original again for the epilogue after this for leaving such a bitter taste in my mouth..

PassAlong

Jan 9, 2020
The original destroyed me. Does this game have a happy ending? I'm keen to play if it does...
spoiler alert..................

I swear, this is just like that anime [Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest], where even the god of that world was a huge prick in playing with lives of humans. Played the Dark Hero Party for ending 6 again because that felt like justice for myself as Aina was indirectly saved from the fate of this spin-off.

• Sad
Reactions: bleachedturtle
3.70 star(s) 3 Votes