Ren'Py The Journey - Developers blog

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
To be fair if he hasn't seen Chris when she's scrubbed up she does look a tad manly. Then again she is a bit butch...

But my God, her thighs. They could crack walnuts I swear.

Reactions: Tataro

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Speaking of Chris - and just to prove she does have all the right bits and bobs - a scene from part one of the game. So, click on the spoiler at your own risk.

Also! If you get -this- scene? Save, in the name of all that is holy, before continuing. Because if you see this, you have the tiger by the tail and, trust me, if you don't handle Chris right you will get more than you expected..well unless you've taken certain precautions beforehand (then again, not taking precautions can be fun too depending on what you're in to...;))

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

But those thighs tho..

Reactions: Mikedazz1

Tataro

Mar 27, 2018
Could we get body hair option? Some like their women dwarven :D

Also, any plans to integrate pregnancy into the game?

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
If you mean "down below" then, yes, some of the gals are bushier than others. :)

And pregnancy.....*grins*. Yep. Absolutely. Although I don't want to say any more on it at this point for plot reasons. I worry I give too much away about the game as it is!

Edit: To clarify, this ain't mandatory. Just ...something that could happen

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Movement....urgh. Chapter length...more urgh.

Trying to get some decent poses that reflect movement in a scene and.....urgh. Static? Static I can do (well, certainly in regards to composition - the rendering is a different matter!) but trying to get that movement angle across is a pain.

Tried floofing the hair, swinging the boobs, shifting props....but it still looks flat. (and yep, background-less at the moment. Pointless me chugging away full renders until I'm happy with the character posing). I might have to consider effects but I worry they'll make it look a bit "comic-booky" looking. As I say.....urgh.

And on top of that, although leading to it, I have to wonder if I'm being a bit too ambitious and whether I should just KISS it a bit. Trouble is I -know- what I want in the game and seemingly I can't quite let go of that vision which leads me to the "big problem"

It all boils down to the more story/options I want, the more code I need (well duh!) and more renders (well double duh!) - and both of those take time (triple duh anyone?) so do I accept that the proper first chapter (the tutorial and the prologue are really the warm up) will take much longer to do (and risk people forgetting about the game by the time I kick it out) or do I make the chapters smaller releases (and risk not having as much game play as I wanted in each release) or *shudders* simplify them.

Urgh again as none of those seem very acceptable answers if I'm honest.

Gomly1980

Forum Fanatic
Jul 4, 2017
It doesn't matter how long it takes you to get the first part out. Even if people forget, they will be reminded once it drops.

It isn't a case of how long it takes you it's all a matter of first impressions.

Do you want a short first impression or do you want to take a bit longer and give the first impression you deserve?

As a wise disembodied voice in a shit film starring Kevin Costner once said .... "if you build it, they will come". Also, if you cut corners, they will know.

Reactions: Nottravis

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Aye you're right Gomly. I hate the idea of compromising on this one too.

It's just I worked out I'm going to need somewhere between 600 and 700 renders for part one. Even if we assume I forget about animations and throw in some cheats ( say by for half of them render the background separate and then overlay characters thus speeding up the overall rendering time required) it's still going to take a bloody age to render out that lot - and that's assuming they all work out fine first shot. Even if I hit say 10 renders a day that's close to three months if I throw in a rework rate of say 30% which is about right based on what I've done so far.

I knew 2GB wouldn't be enough on the bloody card :frown:

Still that's a future problem I suppose. Prologue is only around 250 so is more manageable so I should worry about the problem in front of me for now I think! Onwards!

Reactions: Gomly1980

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Milf alert...

Still some characters to show on this thread (two female, two male) but since I just finished a prop for one of them thought I may as well show it. See I do, do some work on it now and again. It's not all just me moaning all the time! :)

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
*laughs* Don't forget about Chris - that makes three! ;)

Thought it would be stretching realism somewhat to have the shuttle crew, the station crew -and- the science team all female!

Gomly1980

Forum Fanatic
Jul 4, 2017
Picture this though....

A harem .... IN SPACE.

It's like a normal harem .... but in space, see?

Can't be having men in muh hareema, i'm not that progressive.

Edit - do dogs live in space?

I think my haaremly would like a dog.

Or maybe a space cat.

No, not a cat ... has to be a dog.

Or fish.

Edit 2 - I have it....

SPACE FERRETS.

The best pet.

Well, pets, lets have 4.

No, 3 ... 4 is a bit much.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
*dies!* Then again ME had a space hamster so.....*grins*

Also! One more

and that's all the girls shown - well bar the aliens, the mothership crew and sidebar characters.....

Oh, the point of the ID cards is not only that I need one for a plot point but also using them as a menu access point so the MC can get details of the NPC's as he progresses through the game too via his "gadget" interface. Sort of a file access portal.

So what do we have girl wise?

Ginger. Tick!
Black. Tick!
Asian. Tick!
Small boobed. Tick!
Big boobed. Tick!
Blondes. Tick, tick!
Athletic. Tick!
Older women. Tick, tick!

Think I have it all covered. Think so at any rate!

Gomly1980

Forum Fanatic
Jul 4, 2017
I see no midget nymphomaniacs.

The hobbits of the world demand representation.

Wait ... do they find hobbit offensive?

Micro person?

Little peep?

I would say tiddly peep but i'm pretty sure that was a kids show I remember one of my daughters watching.

Reactions: Nottravis

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
It worked!

One new ID card *grins and whistles innocently* Let' see if anyone can see what is different :)

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Another mixed day...

For a start Chris couldn't play cards to save her life - let alone her virtue. Not that she has much of that but even so.

The poker AI was....well, not very intelligent tbh. OK, so I confess I did take it from an open source but even so, I expected the bloody thing to be able to give me a game. Instead it just seemed to act randomly rather than with any, even limited, insight. So poker is out and blackjack is in. At least that seems to work more realistically. Not as much fun but it is only an optional side game anyway and there are limits on how best to spend my time on this if I want to get the tutorial and prologue out by the end of August.

Had some success firming up the GUI though so that was OK. Some rejigs on changing the weapon icon to make it clearer and sorting out the text boxes for characters speaking together with side icons. So..it's a bit prettier I suppose which is something. Also, the poker disaster did make me think about mini-game display. One advantage of using blackjack was I could shove it all to one side and keep Chris in frame. I'll see if I can get the simple combat system running smoothly over the next few days and see what that looks like on screen.

Although I am starting to worry the screen might get a bit busy for events where extra display is needed (like mini-games, combat etc) but I -think- I can live with it.

Probably.

Although I do need to re-render sharper when I'm finally happy with the layout. Anyway, as always thoughts are welcome.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
*smiles*

Oh the other good news was I've come up with more ideas on locking away easter eggs and rewards that can't be prised apart by poking in the Renpy code. I know Renpy is as unbreakable as an egg so I can't rely on that to keep secrets so having to be cunning instead.

So a bit like the ID card rework, there's things hidden for those with the wit to find them :). Seems only fair to reward hard work, no?