Ren'Py The Journey - Developers blog

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
At last! All renders for the tutorial are finished. Nearly a hundred of them for that alone. I suspect I got carried away....

Time to start slotting them into the coding. But why so many?

Well the narrator will take you through all the game mechanics before you even start playing - and there was fair bit to cover. But I also wanted to a) make the tutorial quite fun and b) use it to test out a lot of the GUI and gameplay mechanics too so I could be sure they were bug free before dropping them into the main game. So the damn thing ended up almost as a mini-game itself. Certainly it ended up with more content than I expected.

Never expected to need a nurse outfit that was for sure....

Reactions: Mikedazz1

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Putting aside the tutorial totally getting away from me - and just whatever is going on with the narrator and her sister - not too sure about the GUI for character selection. It works...but looks bland. Meh..

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Perhaps something smaller and boxed?

Also I'm not sure she should be doing...whatever she is doing!

Reactions: Mikedazz1

Gomly1980

Forum Fanatic
Jul 4, 2017
Also I'm not sure she should be doing...whatever she is doing!
Oh, she should.

In fact, science says she should never stop.

FOR SCIENCE.......

Also, smaller UI looked better.

Thing is with UI for games like this, there is no way to make them look great without cluttering the screen or the UI being distracting.

A bland UI that is simple and easy to work with while keeping eyes on the action is preferable, personally.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Oh, she should.

In fact, science says she should never stop.

FOR SCIENCE.......
Well who am I to stop the sisters in the name of the science....
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

But thanks for the opinion. Yep, I think you're right. I'll tidy them up and go small. Cheers.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
A wasted day :confused:

Had a day off work to try and wrap off the tutorial - and everything that could go wrong did almost.

Good bits
On the plus side I finally stopped myself adding extra bits to the tutorial; after all unlikely that anyone will play the tutorial anyway (which would be a mistake in my opinion but...*shrugs*) and it was getting bigger than some v.01's out there so at least that's locked down. Also a good lesson to not get carried away in chapter one of the game itself. -Far- too easy to tell yourself "oh, what if I also added...." and then get in a coding/rendering backlog. So discipline is key it seems! (Seriously, this is a big problem for me - despite having scripted things I keep getting new ideas for scenes that can happen. Alright, having ideas is fine, but why can't I have them all -before- I start coding!)

Also added (and finished!) a "TL;DR tutorial" as well. So the player can decide to either jump into the game; have a one page tutorial; or have a full tutorial. So all preferences covered there.

And that was it for good news.

Bad bits

The inventory system, after working fine for weeks - suddenly bugs out. Absolutely no idea why. I haven't changed anything so haven't a sodding clue why it should suddenly be happening. Also found out that randomly swearing at the PC screen doesn't actually solve bug problems.... I suspect I'll have to strip it out and re-add it.

To add to the woes, the simple combat system has also fallen on it's arse too :confounded:. If I'm honest it was perhaps overly complex and perhaps a bit of a stretch of my coding skills so I think it's time for that to come out and be replaced with something more simple - at least for now.

And then there was the rendering. God, Daz -is- a bitch at times. I swear it seems like the little god of rendering is out to get me. One day perfectly acceptable renders, the next..junk. I mean, I -know- I'm pushing it with only a 2GB card so I can't expect to be hitting BB or High Rise Climb quality but it's the bloody inconsistency of it that can drive you mad.

It began with me adding "one more thing" to the tutorial. A simple little bit expanding further on how if you're in a room and there are multiple characters to talk to, how that would work. Plus it was a nice little opportunity to add a small playful scene. So did a batch of poses, set the batch rendering going and wake up this morning to:

a) My planned three hour teaser render being an overlit piece of rubbish (when an almost identical pose had been bloody perfect bar one of the girls elbows being submerged in the bed, hence the re-do)
and

b) Squiggle hair! Now I haven't changed the model. I haven't changed the hair pose and yet suddenly after scores of bloody renders, the girls now have squiggle hair. Jesus....

Thank God these two aren't in the game itself. The other characters so far haven't given me this problem.

So I've twelve renders down the drain, unless I can somehow "fudge" correcting them in Paint....

And to cap it all Croatia won the football. Arse.

Gomly1980

Forum Fanatic
Jul 4, 2017
Some numpty from Leeds had "Footballs Coming Home" tattoo'd on himself before the Croatia match thinking we had it.

What a tit.

Reactions: Nottravis

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
I have slain the inventory bug! Ha! Take that Renpy code! Marvel in my mastery of....removing an erroneous full stop that had somehow slipped in. Bloody full stops. Why do they have to be so small?!

*coughs*

Anyway that was a relief. Shame it took me hours to find though :frown: (Largely due to me vocally telling Renpy it was an idiot and there was nothing wrong with that line of code, no matter how many times it told me there was...oops...)

Probably time to give it a break for a few days if I'm slipping up like that though. So! Top tip number 423. Don't fiddle with your code at 2am, it only ends in tears - and erroneous full stops.

Did a complete rework of the GUI though so time not totally wasted. I'll shove the TLDR tutorial single pager up later for opinions on how it looks as it will be what the player will largely see and have to deal with for game play.

Two things I'm wrestling with now though. Firstly, and most importantly, conversations and choices. How often should the player be able to respond in a single conversation? I want to give the player as much agency as possible, allowing them to feel as though it is them talking. I'm not a fan of games where I get one option then a whole run of conversations between MC and NPC, but equally having the player respond every single time someone says something seems a chore. Where is the balancing point? Decisions, decisions...

Also...Space Vampire! I keep getting sucked in (*wiggles eyesbrows at her pun*) in thinking about this plot for later. I mean vampires are sexy, right? Plus it could be fun trying to work out who it is? Then again I really should focus on what I already have but....Space Vampire! Damnit, I want my Space Vampire in the game! (confesses she might have already played around rendering her...)

Gah....I'm hopeless I know.

Reactions: Gomly1980

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
At last! *insert drum roll*

First dry run of the in-game interface.

So top right is the various equipment items available for the MC. So from left to right we have: weapon; inventory and menu interface.

Bottom right is for characters that the MC can interact with, and bottom left is for other locations the MC can go to from their current location.

As always I'd -really- appreciate thoughts on the look of this as I'd really like to get this locked down before I get too far in the actual coding of the game.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Hrm....having second thoughts about the look of the location icon....

Outline it the same as the characters perhaps?

Although I just had a corking idea for showing progress in the game though!

Gomly1980

Forum Fanatic
Jul 4, 2017
Looking good so far.

Those clothes don't look up to regulation though, best take them off just to be sure.

tek

Nov 12, 2016
Looking good Nottravis, I've been slyly keeping an eye on the thread...impatiently awaiting your game release.

Have to agree with gomly those clothes just look wrong ..... on that is ;)

keep going and hope to see chapter one in the near future.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Thanks guys. Appreciate the encouragement. As long as I stop changing my mind on content and design I could actually get it finished! The plan is still to get the tutorial and part one out for the end of August and then we'll see what people think of it. I mean, I like it....but then I suspect every dev likes their own game, no? :)

And thank you both also for the input on the uniform design. I ran your thoughts past Chris but she doesn't seem keen....;)

(also why does Imgur always make my pics look more rubbish than they actually are?)

Also! Since my narrator from the tutorial is seemingly insisting on continuing her involvement....she now pops up at the end of each chapter with the results of the game so far. Apparently running with a teacher motif this time. As long as I can keep her sister out of it, it'll probably work ok I think!

Thoughts on it as a mechanism?

Reactions: johnconnor and tek

Tataro

Mar 27, 2018
Well it's not an incest game so can we at least get a more mature looking MC that doesn't look like Ken?

Something along these lines rather than metrosexual you've got on top?

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Well it's not an incest game so can we at least get a more mature looking MC that doesn't look like Ken?
I'm actually running with POV so how the MC looks is up to the player thankfully!

Should tell Chris there's a poor little old kiwi boy very disappointed :(
Not as disappointed as the narrator's sister learning she won't be involved in the results section it seems....

Reactions: Tataro

Gomly1980

Forum Fanatic
Jul 4, 2017
Something along these lines rather than metrosexual you've got on top?
That "metrosexual" is a woman with short hair.......

I have no actual words that don't involve lines of mockery aimed in your general direction.

Also! Since my narrator from the tutorial is seemingly insisting on continuing her involvement....she now pops up at the end of each chapter with the results of the game so far. Apparently running with a teacher motif this time. As long as I can keep her sister out of it, it'll probably work ok I think!

Thoughts on it as a mechanism?
Works for me but i'm easily pleased ... something my wife exploits on a regular basis.

I get annoyed, she throws a cupcake at me, I get happy.

Doesn't help me stop her transferring characters on World of Warcraft though. I've never known people server hop like her and her guild.