TrustyOldPatches

Game Developer
Sep 12, 2020
Woah, that is great news. Though a GB sequel would be great but, considering your present focus on A Dance With Rogues, a remake as a side project does indeed sound as the better choice. You already have the basic foundation down for the Goblin Brides, so all you'll have to really focus most on would be the changes you have in mind. That way you wouldn't feel burdened developing two big projects at the same time.

Personally, I've seen too many devs stretch themselves thin working on multiple projects, but if you feel like you'd be able to finish both with quality and in time, power to you! :D

PS: If you don't mind sharing, what exactly did you feel was missing in the original game? Curious as to what you felt could have been done different.

Mostly those things:

-I feel that the game was too short for 4 girls. I should have done the game with 2/3 girls max to be able to developer their personalities and relationships with Nax properly.

-Some renders can be greatly improved.

-Not completely happy with the ending.

riadhloch

Jul 1, 2018
There are two schools of thought when it comes to multiple concurrent projects:

1. Multiple projects splits focus, energy, attention, mindset, competence, and 'flow state' (designers and programmers will understand). It's the project management equivalent of "walking and chewing gum." Even if a dev team is quite skilled, focusing on both at the same time may mean that neither project is executed as well as desired, if they're completed at all.

2. Simultaneous projects allows for a dev team to practice different technical skills, different artistic mediums, differing themes and concepts. This is especially true when progress might otherwise stagnate if waiting on prerequisite work to complete, or if creative inspiration (whether coding or artistic) has faltered. If balanced properly, this can allow for extra work to get done and ultimately be more efficient. It might even provide new input into concurrent projects (innovations discovered in tech, new art skills or ideas) that improves the aggregate value.

At the end of the day it depends on the dev team, the particular criteria of the projects they're working on, how they work on those on those specific projects, how good their project management is, and how disciplined they are at holding or adapting their project plans. Too many dev teams try to be heroes, work miracles, and they crash and burn instead when a rational approach would have served them better.

TLDR;

Let's not get too eager about simultaneous projects unless the dev is very, very comfortable and reasonable with the notion and the plan.

Reactions: Forinil

RemoraDFC

Dec 7, 2017
Agreed. But I can also see the Devs point of view. If they are thinking of a sequel. Some of the story elements of a sequel may need a small ret-con or fleshing out of content in the original. So a patch, update, or Redux. Might help setup a more coherent sequel. Depending on what the Story elements and ideas are. So I am optimistically supportive of the Devs ambitions. And hope they dont tap all their creativity in the Redux, before the sequel gets past the starting gates. But I am rooting for him. (y)

Reactions: TrustyOldPatches

TrustyOldPatches

Game Developer
Sep 12, 2020
There are two schools of thought when it comes to multiple concurrent projects:

1. Multiple projects splits focus, energy, attention, mindset, competence, and 'flow state' (designers and programmers will understand). It's the project management equivalent of "walking and chewing gum." Even if a dev team is quite skilled, focusing on both at the same time may mean that neither project is executed as well as desired, if they're completed at all.

2. Simultaneous projects allows for a dev team to practice different technical skills, different artistic mediums, differing themes and concepts. This is especially true when progress might otherwise stagnate if waiting on prerequisite work to complete, or if creative inspiration (whether coding or artistic) has faltered. If balanced properly, this can allow for extra work to get done and ultimately be more efficient. It might even provide new input into concurrent projects (innovations discovered in tech, new art skills or ideas) that improves the aggregate value.

At the end of the day it depends on the dev team, the particular criteria of the projects they're working on, how they work on those on those specific projects, how good their project management is, and how disciplined they are at holding or adapting their project plans. Too many dev teams try to be heroes, work miracles, and they crash and burn instead when a rational approach would have served them better.

TLDR;

Let's not get too eager about simultaneous projects unless the dev is very, very comfortable and reasonable with the notion and the plan.
Truth is, I have always been on more than one project. During the development of The Goblin Brides I was working on a big mod for a game. I felt that both project complimented each other, as if I felt stuck creativily in one of the projects I started work on the other, and working on one project gave me ideas for the other.

Now with just one project I feel it is way harder for me to get out of a creativity mental blocking.

oohhh

Mar 29, 2022
Truth is, I have always been on more than one project. During the development of The Goblin Brides I was working on a big mod for a game. I felt that both project complimented each other, as if I felt stuck creativily in one of the projects I started work on the other, and working on one project gave me ideas for the other.

Now with just one project I feel it is way harder for me to get out of a creativity mental blocking.
what are the games on which u r working now or worked ?

RemoraDFC

Dec 7, 2017
I am reminded of J. Michael Straczinski. When he created Babylon 5, he already had a 4 year story ark at the beginning.
What he did was decide each year would be a season of shows. So there would be a logical cronology to it and a real passage of time. Then he wrote down some major events on the timeline. Only the big items. Wars between nations, assassination attempts, that sort of thing. Nothing with characters. Only the big items. So he had that plotted out along his 4 year timeline. Then he started puting characters in between. Since he already knew the future, it was easy for him to write story for the characters, as events were pre-determined in the universe timeline he created. So it was only a matter of filling in the gaps with the characters.

Maybe a similar approach would help you with creativity blocks while on only one project. If you begin with a timeline of the story. Forget characters, just the events. Protagonists father is arrested. Sister is kidnapped. Mother is blackmailed. Maybe aliens invade the city. Or robots enslave their school. Whatever the main story events are. Put it on the timeline. Then work on how those elements will flow into each other. Again, characters are irrelevent. We are establishing the complete games story progression from start to finish. After you have the timeline done, then you inject characters. The Mayor who sold out the town to the Alien invaders. The corrupt school official involved with Mafia to enslave, drug and convert students into sex slaves. Whatever. You have the main story done. Your just filling in the gaps now with random NPCs. After that, your 80% done. Put MC in there, and since everything is already layed out, should be easy to add choice, multiple paths, grind for stats or cash or whatever mechanics your using. That is all slapped on. You have a full story done already. The rest is the cherry that keeps player involved and makes the game more than just a VN.

KINGHIPPO

Apr 25, 2020

Yharnam is my favorite, any possibility of remake/adding animations to the scenes? It was a great game

Reactions: Jorund

TrustyOldPatches

Game Developer
Sep 12, 2020
Is this for some kind of remake purposes, or an older version of her for GB2? If the former, please don't alter perfection! If the latter, I like it.
Omg it looks so cool, whether its second game's version of remake of GB, anyway!!
It's for a remake. I talked about it in this page. I'm just not happy with some things about The Goblin's Brides, things that I want to fix before a sequel, so I'm planning a remake.

Jorund

Jun 10, 2018
It's for a remake. I talked about it in this page. I'm just not happy with some things about The Goblin's Brides, things that I want to fix before a sequel, so I'm planning a remake.
Can't help it but something about the newer versions face is just ... not. That's not my Yharnam .. chin, yawline, overall 'wider' (which i welcome in general but it just changes the face too much .. or appears to me at least).

LonerPrime

Apr 9, 2018
Old and new:
Nice. I like how she has a pinkish skin color now. Also I noticed you gave her physical characteristics more prominence. For example her collar bone is more prevalent now. And her thigh and calf muscles have a bit more thickness. Same for her arms as they now feel less bony. Overall the remake feels that she has gone from a more petite late teen to a healthy mid 20s, which is a positive in my book. And this is coming from someone who actually had no issues with the original version.

That being said, I do have some opinions that aren't all supportive, so I'd refrain from penning them. I get the sense you simply showed off your vision and I do not want to taint a dev's approach with unasked feedback.

All in all, good direction (y) and here is to hoping Yharanam's mom and sister find a place in your sequel when it does materialize :p

Apr 28, 2018
Plot/Scenes too. I'll be changing a lot of it.
Just a few days i thought: would be cool to loose memory and play this g
Mostly those things:

-I feel that the game was too short for 4 girls. I should have done the game with 2/3 girls max to be able to developer their personalities and relationships with Nax properly.

-Some renders can be greatly improved.

-Not completely happy with the ending.
Yeah, I agree. When I was playing, I remember thinking: "the elf and tiefling girls seem too much, they kinda distract the focus of the story from Yharnam and the ginger."

4.50 star(s) 51 Votes