• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

HTML Abandoned The eWardrobe [v0.6.4] [brickdoorway]

4.90 star(s) 9 Votes

coretex

Jun 15, 2017
Having peeked inside the old versions of this before - It was made in Twine2 .. with Sugarcube 2.28.2 at its last update i have - and it wasnt too badly organized.. so if someone is determined to take it up and can handle twine/html code.. shouldnt be too hard to get into the groove.

Reactions: RedRaven69

BeccaBoo

Apr 21, 2018
How can I go about “taking over” this game? I hate to see it sitting abandoned for so long with such a great fan base
Brick is still active on the TFGS site, I shad a message from them in June this year. You could send them a message there, it also mentions a Discord which is partially active.

Reactions: Vimbur

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Incorrect. Everyhing is copyrighted as soon as it's created.
Kinda wish people would look at the context of things before claiming something is or isn't correct. The key here is the project is officially abandoned. :rolleyes:

First and foremost, the project lost its copyrighted (dev never gave it up outright, but there's enough out there to make the argument) status as soon as the developer declared it abandoned/unfinished and that he was no longer working on it. This falls under "Copyright Abandonment" or Abandonment of Copyright. While more of a court solution in and of itself, this would be a valid defense as the dev said he's basically leaving it.

Secondly, while your claim would be correct in a lost of senses and a new dev infringed on the copyright of said written work, they would have to register the work and the file. A whole lot of work for an abandoned project, and a case that's more or less thrown out the window if the new dev gives credit or makes a show of good-faith. Meaning the whole 'copyright' argument would assume outright theft by a new developer claiming the work was his - doubtful, seeing as many know the dev at least on an internet level.

Then there's the whole prove it argument. If the dev wanted to go after someone for something he hasn't touched in a year, then not only would he have to register copyright of the product, prove the work is his as he wrote it under a alias/pseudonym (revealing his identity in the process), and then take it to a federal court. For a Twine project. Which opens another can of legal worms:

Twine itself is licensed under GPL v3. This license prevents commercial distribution of the software (eg; trying to sell Twine) via 'copyleft', but the nature of Twine HTML files makes commercial use rather complicated and it's unclear if the output has parts of Twine built-in (eg; the bits that are used to play the game other than the code itself).

AWolfe

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 21, 2018
A dev declaring that his game is abandoned is NOT the same thing legally as stating that he has abandoned any, much less all, copyright on his work. In fact, a dev could say that he welcomes others to pick up where he left off and he STILL could retain copyright of his original work. In order for a dev to lose copyright they MUST declare that their work is open source. Unless they do so it is assumed to still belong to the original author.

A case could be made for abandonment if and only if others copied his work without permission and the dev declined to enforce his copyright. An ongoing example of this would be the fan work on trying to resurrect the defunct HTML game SQ Cruise Ship, where the original dev has been incommunicado with anyone for 7+ months. In the case of eWardrobe, the dev is still in touch (more or less).

AlliebuttDK

Jun 8, 2021
I honestly hope someone picks it up. I haven't played it due to how people say it stopped very abruptly, but I've heard seemingly nothing but good things about it. Obviously the new content would be made by a different person, and as a result might not have the same feeling to it, but I'd be willing to give playing it a shot even if it wasn't quite the same as the original work.

Taryana

Oct 22, 2017
A dev declaring that his game is abandoned is NOT the same thing legally as stating that he has abandoned any, much less all, copyright on his work. In fact, a dev could say that he welcomes others to pick up where he left off and he STILL could retain copyright of his original work. In order for a dev to lose copyright they MUST declare that their work is open source. Unless they do so it is assumed to still belong to the original author.

A case could be made for abandonment if and only if others copied his work without permission and the dev declined to enforce his copyright. An ongoing example of this would be the fan work on trying to resurrect the defunct HTML game SQ Cruise Ship, where the original dev has been incommunicado with anyone for 7+ months. In the case of eWardrobe, the dev is still in touch (more or less).
You work in gaming, don't you? :)

This would be true under most contexts, but IF a dev states they are abandoning a project and not taking an extended hiatus this would constitute legal abandonment. Brick said he was abandoning it, he was never returning to it. Now, this might have changed in discussions on his Discord, but as it stands this is an abandoned project used under a GPL licensed tool. Is it a clear-cut case? No, but if someone were to take the project up, as stated above in the thread, and title it "Fan Remake/Continuance" they would have standing to even profit from it.

Brick would then have to take the case to court, dox themselves, and show how he was damaged in his copyright claim and how his statements of abandoning the project were not true. He would have to show this, just saying he didn't like how the project was taken or how he now wants his monies would not be good enough.

In my opinion, I don't think he would care since it is clear that a long enough time period has passed without him communicating any interest in the reuptake of this project.

edit: Also, if he did want to return t it, I don't think anyone working on it would mind since he is the original author and most of us would love to see how the story turns out.

GravGrav

Sep 25, 2017
If someone does pick it up, I hope they are open to including impregnation, since Brick said that they weren't personally interested in it as a kink (nor were they interested in blatant non-consensual forced stuff, just semi-non-consensual blackmail stuff).

But I've long thought that a way to go with the storyline is to have the MC be someone that actually has the condition where they have XX chromosomes and their androgen SRY gene from their Y chromosome of their dad had instead been moved to one of their X chromosomes (an example of XX male syndrome). And taking those breast enhancing pills and because of the eWardrobe medical modification resulted in suppressing the SRY portion and making them become more female in actuality. Which is why the breast pills worked on the MC, rather than the horrific results when other men took them.

And then, over time, the vagina modification actually does change their reproductive system (maybe through them feeling pain and burning inside their lower abdomen every once in a while) and then it turns out with one of the medical checkups with the doctor that you can't be changed back because you actually have become female in truth. Maybe have that checkup happen after one particularly painful episode, which is why you rushed to have the checkup, and it's from that point on that you're fully female and at risk of pregnancy.

Obvious scientific nonsense, but there's a magic sci-fi wardrobe in the story, so I don't really think realism matters. :p

katiej1989

Jul 31, 2020
Having peeked inside the old versions of this before - It was made in Twine2 .. with Sugarcube 2.28.2 at its last update i have - and it wasnt too badly organized.. so if someone is determined to take it up and can handle twine/html code.. shouldnt be too hard to get into the groove.
I can handle Twine/HTML so honestly if I were able to get the files to this, I would be happy to push forward with the storyline through the end of summer and give a couple endings to this story. Once something it set up it isn't too tough to navigate and add to it (provided there are variables and a good clear path that makes it apparent what variables are triggering what scenes/storylines in the game.)

Reactions: Erbosch and þussy

coretex

Jun 15, 2017
Its not too hard to reverse engineer a twine game, and having looked previously.. there was some unused scenes and possible future/planning stuff buried in the file. Between using tweego and twine2, its possible to get the full file info, and then from there do what you want using either editor method.

AWolfe

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 21, 2018
Femboy (remake) was reverse-engineered this way, then greatly expanded prior to the new dev having to stop work on it for RL reasons. SQ Cruise Ship has also been reversed-engineered, although no new content has been added to the rebuild. There are probably other examples, but those two are the most recent that I know of.

gungnir343

Dec 1, 2017
Since there seem to be people still interested in this, here's a message from a TFgames.site user, in May:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

This is quite evident in the darker elements large parts of the game had, especially the protagonist's thoughts in the last scenes of the last update. It was clearly the work of a depressed person, and in a way it's for the best that he abandoned it.

And here is a follow-up from the person who is (supposedly) working on the "technical update" that was mentioned long ago.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Personally I don't see the "technical update" ever being released, but the important bit is that if anyone wants to work on a game based on the same concept, they can (which was obvious, you can't copyright concepts :ROFLMAO:) as long they don't give any publicity to this game. Apparently the dev is quite happy with it being forgotten.

As far as reworking the current game as some of the previous comments were saying, I'd say it would need to be such a massive "rework" that it would mean basically a new game: you could use the technical foundations of this game to make your own inspired by it, and that would be ok, if I interpreted the dev's words correctly.

yiyoiyi

Nov 24, 2017
Oh man, I liked going through the darker paths bcuz I like torturing/humilliating the MC but now knowing they were actual thoughts of the maker makes me feel kinda bad for them. Hope they are in a better mental place right now

Reactions: BeccaBoo

katiej1989

Jul 31, 2020
Since there seem to be people still interested in this, here's a message from a TFgames.site user, in May
As far as reworking the current game as some of the previous comments were saying, I'd say it would need to be such a massive "rework" that it would mean basically a new game: you could use the technical foundations of this game to make your own inspired by it, and that would be ok, if I interpreted the dev's words correctly.
Despite the original creator's request that the game die, I am tempted to do something with it. I opened it up in twine and it is a well-organized story, and it wouldn't be too tough to rewrite the "darker" elements and bring some light into what was a very dark path towards the end of the game (you can really see the dark side coming in with the last few updates, a very likely influence on why the original creator ditched the project) and instead pushing it into some options for a lighter, better ending. The game was in a position that the "summer work" was almost over for the original character so there wouldn't be much more than a week of additional content to add to the game before some endings could start getting hammered out. And replacing the "dark path" with a much lighter one would, I would hope, help Brick feel better about the path the game took - but that's a big risk to take on and I'd hate to do that only to have Brick protest the retooling of the game even with a "happy" edit.

gungnir343

Dec 1, 2017
Despite the original creator's request that the game die, I am tempted to do something with it. I opened it up in twine and it is a well-organized story, and it wouldn't be too tough to rewrite the "darker" elements and bring some light into what was a very dark path towards the end of the game (you can really see the dark side coming in with the last few updates, a very likely influence on why the original creator ditched the project) and instead pushing it into some options for a lighter, better ending. The game was in a position that the "summer work" was almost over for the original character so there wouldn't be much more than a week of additional content to add to the game before some endings could start getting hammered out. And replacing the "dark path" with a much lighter one would, I would hope, help Brick feel better about the path the game took - but that's a big risk to take on and I'd hate to do that only to have Brick protest the retooling of the game even with a "happy" edit.
I was also tempted to do something, I do rather miss this game, and I do think that using the technical foundation to build something new would be fine.
Personally, I was thinking that the two paths could be merged into one where the most positive aspects about each could be kept, while the most negative characters could be omitted completely (like Kurt's family and the gang). Of course at that point it would be practically a new game, and maybe it would be for the best. What were you thinking of changing specifically?
If you do decide to do something, let me know, I'd be very interested to see the results

katiej1989

Jul 31, 2020
I was also tempted to do something, I do rather miss this game, and I do think that using the technical foundation to build something new would be fine.
Personally, I was thinking that the two paths could be merged into one where the most positive aspects about each could be kept, while the most negative characters could be omitted completely (like Kurt's family and the gang). Of course at that point it would be practically a new game, and maybe it would be for the best. What were you thinking of changing specifically?
If you do decide to do something, let me know, I'd be very interested to see the results
I would like to see it changed where in the final week of the game a lot of stuff comes together - relationships are resolved, healed, restored, etc - people like Arthur, Kurt, even the gang accept and are at peace with Dani (or at the very least Dani finds a way to cut them out and be done with them, and Dani starts to feel at peace with her/himself and what changes have happened. Basically it'd be a way to find happy endings for most of the storylines that have been developed, even those where there were bad outcomes (people that got upset with Dani, Dani's lonliness, etc). I'm better at the storyline/writing side and the tech side is where I struggle, so a collab would be 100% up my alley. Seems like it would be possible to have about 8-10 different endings of various types (remain transformed, semi-transformed, go back to being 100% Danny, etc) available depending on how far Dani transformed and what the final choices are.

4.90 star(s) 9 Votes