• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

The Daz Studio and Related Product Deals Thread (Daz3D, Renderosity, Renderotica, etc.)

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Is there a specific place where the tool is placed?
It's sold under a different license that limits what you can do with it.

View attachment 3395732

Lots of 3D asset sites have been doing this for a while, but Daz only started doing it recently. People have begged them for a filter to hide all of these so we won't buy unusable assets accidentally, but they haven't responded.
Thanks for the heads up!

I think that the main point here is that the suits used for these texture addons mostly match the 'style' of the IP specific ones, so if someone wanted to skirt a line they could approximate the colors at least, without using the brand specific logos...

Other games are getting away with re-interpreting IP stuff (Something Unlimited comes immediately to mind) but it's a crap shoot with such things, and if you don't want potential headaches, yeah just create your own IP...

Reactions: oaiki and amster22

amster22

Nov 13, 2019
At renderosity:
  • 70% off 160 items till Friday
  • Everybody gets prime advantages (but very few prime specific sales). Only today.

Reactions: oaiki and OhWee

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
So far, to me at least, Daz3D.com's March Madness once again feels more like March Meh-ness. I may be missing something, but lightning deals aren't very exciting, and the main sale discounts don't look that impressive to me. But then I'm a cheap bastard...

glassware

Oct 6, 2020
So far, to me at least, Daz3D.com's March Madness once again feels more like March Meh-ness. I may be missing something, but lightning deals aren't very exciting, and the main sale discounts don't look that impressive to me. But then I'm a cheap bastard...
FWIW... what I do a lot of the time is just check my wishlist and find things that are legit on sale. But this misses deals that have requirements. So today I spent $5 on the Daz Deals plugin "Pro" memembership so I could get the wishlist filter for a month. Found three wishlisted items and put them in a cart, with tokens they cost like $3,$4,$4, but just looking in my wishlist they were $7,$14,$14. I could have found them by groveling through the sales categories myself, but I didn't have the patience, and I wouldn't have. So in some sense I already made my $5 back.

Of course that's no help if you only care about items at ~$1 each, and I don't blame anybody who isn't willing to spend the $5, but for some people it may be worth considering.

Boogie

Aug 7, 2017
I haven't touched DAZ in over a year, but received the e-mail this morning about the free animations. Does anyone have a good grasp on what this entails? I see we need to register at this Heat site, and it's apparently good for 2 months. So can we scrape the site of all the animations during that time to use indefinitely, or does it require the subscription to continue to use them afterwards? Thanks

Reactions: amster22 and oaiki

oaiki

Mar 19, 2020
I haven't touched DAZ in over a year, but received the e-mail this morning about the free animations. Does anyone have a good grasp on what this entails? I see we need to register at this Heat site, and it's apparently good for 2 months. So can we scrape the site of all the animations during that time to use indefinitely, or does it require the subscription to continue to use them afterwards? Thanks
Looks like it requires an account for continued use of the 'actions', and a subscription will be required for more that 25 'moves' after the 2 month free offer expires.

On the plus side the free plug-in (you won't need to install it) seems to qualify for the unlimited $3.99 offer, if there is anything there that you fancy ... doesn't need the coupon either ...

Reactions: Boogie and amster22

Boogie

Aug 7, 2017
Looks like it requires an account for continued use of the 'actions', and a subscription will be required for more that 25 'moves' after the 2 month free offer expires.

On the plus side the free plug-in (you won't need to install it) seems to qualify for the unlimited $3.99 offer, if there is anything there that you fancy ... doesn't need the coupon either ...

You'd think that such a "Major" announcement by DAZ would generate more buzz on the official forum. But there isn't much being said, and it's mostly the same confusion as I have. Was looking for a reason to boot DAZ back up and thought that some decent animation just might do it. Think I'll just keep doing something else.

Reactions: oaiki

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
You'd think that such a "Major" announcement by DAZ would generate more buzz on the official forum. But there isn't much being said, and it's mostly the same confusion as I have. Was looking for a reason to boot DAZ back up and thought that some decent animation just might do it. Think I'll just keep doing something else.
$75/month after trial period? Yeah I'm out. I don't do animation anyways, but not a fan of subscription models...

Technically Daz+ is a subscription model too, that's one of my only exceptions to my 'no subscriptions' rule.

Reactions: amster22 and oaiki

oaiki

Mar 19, 2020
Was looking for a reason to boot DAZ back up and thought that some decent animation just might do it.
I had a browse through their animations catalogue, nothing exciting at all, and have seen better. Most of what I saw before falling asleep seemed to be FPS focused...

Technically Daz+ is a subscription model too, that's one of my only exceptions to my 'no subscriptions' rule.
Difference being that you get to keep the stuff you buy that your subscription gives you access to when you unsubscribe and you don't really need an account unless you are buying stuff. I was not entirely clear what happens on Heat when you cancel your account, I suspect you loose the right to any stuff you used ...

Reactions: amster22

jkjyuio

Jan 23, 2022
That's weird. the Sci-Fi pilot suit is ok, but the add on textures are Editorial License. I guess thats a cool way to use the outfit with infringing branding. Anyhow, thanks for pointing this out. I accidentally bought an Editorial car once. Didnt see the license.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Still leaning towards March Meh-ness IMHO...

Haven't noticed discount stacking on lightning deals lately (in the last few days) either.

There could be a mid-month 'correction', we've seen those before in MM sales, I'm not holding my breath though. I did notice that sort by wishlist and sort by % off started working for me on the main shop page again, knock on wood.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
OK, so if editorial licenses don't bother you, there's a BUNCH of Star Trek themed stuff in today's Daz3D.com sale. The 'base' products are 'usual license' items, but the fan add on bundle looks like it's all editorial only.

I'm not sure how copyright would apply in this case, but in my mind the ship itself is a unique design, so as long as you removed the Federation symbols, that'd be a 'unique' design. Also, unless you are using a specific likeness (of say Michael Dorn) as your base character model, again I question the prosthetic add ons thing.

But I'm not an expert on this. If you are doing a 'for free' project, and not making money off of it, not sure how much that helps - less likely to be noticed/called out by the legal types, but of course fair use comes down to who has the most money for lawyers when people get called out.

Lots of Star Trek fan films out there, just sayin', but the CBS fan film guidelines are pretty clear about not making money... and there are a number of Star Trek fan films that do not meet the current guidelines that CBS chooses to ignore. Unless your name is Alec Peters...

In any case, it's an interesting looking fan add on bundle if Star Trek type stuff interests you, so ymmv.

amster22

Nov 13, 2019
At renderosity:
  • 70% off 200 items till Friday (coupon friendly)
  • 70% off 220 "retiring" products by Anagord (G3G8 textures and characters) till Wednesday 03/13 (coupon friendly)
  • and several other less interesting sales

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
I'm seeing some discount stacking with lightning deals over at Daz3D.com today, just FYI.

Also, remember to sort the main sales page from low to high to see the latest batch of (bi)weekly freebies.

oaiki

Mar 19, 2020
Also, remember to sort the main sales page from low to high to see the latest batch of (bi)weekly freebies.
I have this bookmarked ... just shows the current set of

amster22

Nov 13, 2019
Why there have been some retiring products at renderosity lately? :unsure:
You are completely right, there is an unusually large number of such "retiring" sales recently at renderosity. I have no specific information, but here is my two cents on this topic.

There has been quite some changes in the 3D artist recently: some old daz PA creating their own site (3DShard by Sade and a few others), some daz artists publishing mostly now at rendo/renderhub (1stbastion, ClacyArch), some important renderosity artists that seem to publish now mainly at daz (Lilflame, Antje), not to mention the leak of renderotica artists to renderhub, and I probably forgot a few.

This can explain part of the retiring product at renderosity. For instance, Pamawo has closed his store at renderosity and the very same products are no on sale at daz3D (at a higher price!).

But, probably most of the retiring products are not by artists that intend to leave the renderosity store, but just a sale strategy. If a product does not sale well for whatever reason, tagging it as "retiring" will create a large boost in the sales, thanks to the discounted price of course, but also to the "fear of missing out" syndrome (that largely explains the success of sales events like the black Friday). If you consider that this sale boost is larger than the benefit that you could expect from the product in the next few years, then creating a "retiring" sale is a good strategy.

oaiki

Mar 19, 2020
You are completely right, there is an unusually large number of such "retiring" sales recently at renderosity. I have no specific information, but here is my two cents on this topic.

There has been quite some changes in the 3D artist recently: some old daz PA creating their own site (3DShard by Sade and a few others), some daz artists publishing mostly now at rendo/renderhub (1stbastion, ClacyArch), some important renderosity artists that seem to publish now mainly at daz (Lilflame, Antje), not to mention the leak of renderotica artists to renderhub, and I probably forgot a few.

This can explain part of the retiring product at renderosity. For instance, Pamawo has closed his store at renderosity and the very same products are no on sale at daz3D (at a higher price!).

But, probably most of the retiring products are not by artists that intend to leave the renderosity store, but just a sale strategy. If a product does not sale well for whatever reason, tagging it as "retiring" will create a large boost in the sales, thanks to the discounted price of course, but also to the "fear of missing out" syndrome (that largely explains the success of sales events like the black Friday). If you consider that this sale boost is larger than the benefit that you could expect from the product in the next few years, then creating a "retiring" sale is a good strategy.
I agree with your assessment, the only thing I would add is that, as I have seen recently, is that some add-ons are being retired because their target item is no longer available for the reasons amster22 mentions

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: OhWee and amster22

SvenVlad

Modder
Aug 11, 2017

Could be. :unsure:

OneSix, if I'm not mistaken, did two retiring sales in the last few months. I wonder if he/she will come back with these clothes in another store.

Too bad the discounts at RH are awful. :cautious:

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote