VN Others Abandoned The Caretaker [v0.29] [The Circle]

1.30 star(s) 3 Votes

JohnJG

Engaged Member
May 17, 2018
I'm not sure about this one. It looks exactly like Ways of Life and Big Brother.

Amahl Farouk

May 13, 2018
This is a buggy bugger of a game, looks nice but the interface is heartbreakingly broken.
_wanders out of the thread not to return_

markus T

Engaged Member
Jun 11, 2017
played this for 10 minutes but "suddenly...." I closed the game and deleted it.

Amahl Farouk

May 13, 2018
Because with Ren'py, saves are not compatible through new versions.
I don't buy that, lots of developers write in ren'py and can manage to make save games compatible, it just takes a bit of planning before hand. This game is broken right out of the box, which is a pity because the renders look rather nice. I am not a big fan of these sandbox grind fests, all it does it make a little bit of content stretch out for hours and hours and hours. Waiting for a tiny new bit of content constantly repeating actions, bugger that for a game of soldiers, but at least the gui usually works, rather than this "5 click and maybe it works" mess

Kravenar Games

Game Developer
Mar 28, 2017
why ???? other renpy games work fine with old saves for as long as the dev don't fuck up something
Prepare for a simple technical explanation.
With Ren'py you have to declare from the first version ALL the possible variables that could be needed in the game.
If you have a clear Idea (aka don't care about what patrons tell you), you go straight writing your limited number of variables, and use them.
If you want to create something expandable (like SummerTimeSaga - perfect example), everytime you add new content and insert a new variable Ren'py crashes and it requires a fresh start to "read" the new variables. heh.
Other monkeys uses random things like: var_1, var_2, etc. until var_9999 but that's not professional and leads the development into chaos.
However, this particular engine (on the contrary of Ren'py), is windows\android\SteamOS\MAC\Linux\browser ready, which means that game is 100% compatible with these platforms natively. :)
Of course, we are talking about point-click games, not "straight forward" visual novels like "skip skip skip - fuck - choice - skip skip skip - etc". :)
Oh, I was forgetting, that with Python(shit), if you make a single writing typos (even like a single more space): EVERYTHING could lead to a crash.

ssrrxxbr

Oct 20, 2017
I think dev could use ERIC (no need to cry children) as the protagonist ... this would remain a clone but it would be an original clone and show a point of view that nobody explored ...

Reactions: hotmike

Kravenar Games

Game Developer
Mar 28, 2017
Well. I don't see Kira neither in the gameplay...but she's in the mainscreen. So maybe something will show up sooner or later.

Deleted member 27575

Game Developer
May 7, 2017
I don't mind people imitating BB as a game and re-using some models, because there isn't an infinite number of models to use, but this is the most blatant rip-off I have ever seen. All of the characters are the same, the house is the same....

Yeah I think I will pass on this one.

hotmike

Jan 28, 2018
However, this particular engine (on the contrary of Ren'py), is windows\android\SteamOS\MAC\Linux\browser ready, which means that game is 100% compatible with these platforms natively. :)
So where can we read about this magical engine (and see the code?) [Others] won't get as any further.

Amahl Farouk

May 13, 2018
With Ren'py you have to declare from the first version ALL the possible variables that could be needed in the game.
If you have a clear Idea (aka don't care about what patrons tell you), you go straight writing your limited number of variables, and use them.
If you want to create something expandable (like SummerTimeSaga - perfect example), everytime you add new content and insert a new variable Ren'py crashes and it requires a fresh start to "read" the new variables. heh.
Other monkeys uses random things like: var_1, var_2, etc. until var_9999 but that's not professional and leads the development into chaos.
Of course, we are talking about point-click games, not "straight forward" visual novels like "skip skip skip - fuck - choice - skip skip skip - etc". :)
Oh, I was forgetting, that with Python(shit), if you make a single writing typos (even like a single more space): EVERYTHING could lead to a crash.
Yes instead of "skip skip skip - fuck - choice - skip skip skip - etc" we have click click click, nothing happens "click" ah something happened, then ignoring this major fault, we have grind grind grind, nothing happens, grind grind grind, still nothing happens, grind grind, 2 images, 3 lines of dialogue, and then repeat for an hour

As for "windows\android\SteamOS\MAC\Linux\browser ready" this means that it doesn't work in 6 different forms. Truly impressive...

All it takes to write a good game in ren'py is a good bit of planning. These sand box things look good, but once you have read the label on the tin and open it up, there is usually bugger all in it. "This option is unavailable at the moment, please support me on Patreon if you want it to work" 3 months later, game abandonded. RInse and repeat.

No thanks, I will stick with my "skip skip skip - fuck - choice - skip skip skip - etc" at least if the story is well written and the renders are done well I dont have to suffer through 40 minutes of clicking to get one decent scene. As for Python shit, I challenge any C head to write a game as good as GGGB

Each to their own though.

Reactions: delta67
1.30 star(s) 3 Votes