• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

darkolo

Mar 7, 2017
Having read that patreon post, it'll be interesting to see as to how far they actually managed to replace/rework Debbie's art. DC did quite a few of her sprites on stream and to me that suggests that her old art should be gone for good (apart from her scenes, maybe?).

A few months ago I'd have said they'll implement some of the old stuff (Debbie, Mia, Erik, the teachers, etc.) again, until they actually release their reworks, but now I'm really not so sure anymore.
Yes , with this new release idea, putting any old stuff would be actually stupid waste of time, its all new now

Reactions: itsyeboii

thedoomerjo

Apr 25, 2017
Having read that patreon post, it'll be interesting to see as to how far they actually managed to replace/rework Debbie's art. DC did quite a few of her sprites on stream and to me that suggests that her old art should be gone for good (apart from her scenes, maybe?).

A few months ago I'd have said they'll implement some of the old stuff (Debbie, Mia, Erik, the teachers, etc.) again, until they actually release their reworks, but now I'm really not so sure anymore.
With DC talking about a new, "general direction", I think this update really has become a total overhaul. I mean, they would have to touch up the old art/scenes anyway to fit the new aspect ratio; while they're at it, why not just redo it so it's consistent with everything else?

Shadesishere

Modder
Dec 5, 2020
DC really wants to avoid the abandoned tag, which goes to show that he understands business and sociology. (also of note is that his account was on the site today)

once one location declares something, others follow, and suddenly it's everywhere, just take a look at any movement in last 15 years particularly (the internet is a wonder for spreading anything), snowball effect in action, and the bottom line? it will hurt DC's bottom line.

not a surprise that suddenly DC is "about" to release an update. he probably knows the danger of SS being declared abandoned.

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
With DC talking about a new, "general direction", I think this update really has become a total overhaul. I mean, they would have to touch up the old art/scenes anyway to fit the new aspect ratio; while they're at it, why not just redo it so it's consistent with everything else?
As far as I recall, DC suggested in the beginning, that these very old animations/scenes scenes would stay in 4:3, as they didn't want to invest time into content which ultimately would have been changed again, anyway.
By now I'd agree that all of the sprites should be new - everything else would be strange. Next to that one would hope that DC did use some of his time in these last 18 months to actually rework old scenes and stuff.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: another___account

Username7

May 1, 2017
Interesting well this puts a few things into prospective. Namely this decision had to have been made internally around the start of the year give or take a few weeks, that's about when the coding task stalled out when throughout the fall, and early winter they had been getting done at a relatively steady rate, there were points in October and November where Stray was clearing two to three coding task a week mind you. It was also around that time when Stray started seemingly working on random things as opposed to the in progress coding task which in hindsight was setting up for this new update and release model.

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
not a surprise that suddenly DC is "about" to release an update. he probably knows the danger of SS being declared abandoned.
Does that really make sense? People are talking about it over here for months and he simply could have released a small easter update with a few scenes (including the Android 14+ implementation as a hook) to avoid the tag and to avoid looking this bad.

It's kinda baffling that some people think of DC as some money laundering master scammer who manages to deceive tens of thousands of patrons for years and who is colluding with F95, yet at the same time he is supposed to be too stupid to count till 18? At least in my mind that's such a strange way of thinking.

Shadesishere

Modder
Dec 5, 2020
Does that really make sense? People are talking about it over here for months and he simply could have released a small easter update with a few scenes (including the Android 64/14 implementation as a hook) to avoid the tag and to avoid looking this bad.

It's kinda baffling that some people think of DC as some money laundering master scammer who manages to deceive tens of thouthands of patrons for years and who is colluding with F95, yet at the same time he is supposed to be too stupid to count till 18? At least in my mind that's such a strange way of thinking.
I do not think DC is a "money laundering master scammer", I do however believe that he (and/or his team) got lazy and complacent due to not having any real consequences of not working properly on the game, while still making a substantial amount of money. And that having that threatened has brought about a "oh shit, we need to do something!" moment, thus leading to what appears to be an update that is going to be barebones of what they have worked on in the last 3 years while they actually get back up to a good pace.

dunno where the "colluding with F95" bit came from, but it wasn't me.

darkolo

Mar 7, 2017
lets think for a moment, DCs business model is patreon. Would people start canceling their patreons for Summertime Saga at masses just because F95 put abandoned tag? When they can see he works on the game every day on his streams, and put news on his discord etc. I really dont think so.

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
I do not think DC is a "money laundering master scammer", I do however believe that he (and/or his team) got lazy and complacent due to not having any real consequences of not working properly on the game, while still making a substantial amount of money. And that having that threatened has brought about a "oh shit, we need to do something!" moment, thus leading to what appears to be an update that is going to be barebones of what they have worked on in the last 3 years while they actually get back up to a good pace.

dunno where the "colluding with F95" bit came from, but it wasn't me.
I just summarzied a few positions over here. Sorry if it sounded like I'd be saying that about you.

Then again, I'm not sure I'd share your opinion to this degree. The tag on F95 is just so easily avoidable, that it's not really a threat to anyone who actually cares about it. All he had to do was to release another scene pre-tech-update within the last months and he'd have another year to go without worries.

• Angry
Reactions: Lithy

mestrexota

Mar 6, 2021
lets think for a moment
This is asking too much, bro.

As I said before, people just want to externalize their frustration. The most we can do as community – which isn't much – is to make people aware that the development of this game is almost stalled and doesn't deserve the amount of funding. The tag is a crucial part to push this muffled message forward.

Xupuzulla

Aug 1, 2022
lets think for a moment, DCs business model is patreon. Would people start canceling their patreons for Summertime Saga at masses just because F95 put abandoned tag? When they can see he works on the game every day on his streams, and put news on his discord etc. I really dont think so.
The defenders actually admit now that the patreons are angry,are fuming about the lack of progress.
The gravy train is crumbling and this is DC hail mary.

DaedusWolfe

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting well this puts a few things into prospective. Namely this decision had to have been made internally around the start of the year give or take a few weeks, that's about when the coding task stalled out when throughout the fall, and early winter they had been getting done at a relatively steady rate, there were points in October and November where Stray was clearing two to three coding task a week mind you. It was also around that time when Stray started seemingly working on random things as opposed to the in progress coding task which in hindsight was setting up for this new update and release model.
The decision may have been made at the beginning of the year but that wasn't when coding stalled. Coding stalled back in September of last year. Coding has been stuck at 69% since at least last october (there is a pic of the progress, from then, somewhere back in the morass that is this thread). My question is, why has the coding stalled? Because only patreon subs can see the progress reports we do not have a clear idea of what has been going on. Being a coder myself I do not see a reason why the coding stopped. If they made a decision to roll out the updates in small bits you'd think they would have started that back when the coding came to a halt in order to start debugging.

Reactions: GaRbS

exirock

Game Developer
May 4, 2018
For what i understand first update will be tiny, he will be releasing the game by the same size update every 2-3 months, i mean people waiting years for it to be released like this and the excuse its for testing for bugs.

Last edited:

McSlut

Aug 12, 2018
holy shit so the first partial update is really only going to be jenny and debbie. dude he's going to drag this out for a year, maybe multiple years. it's getting to a point where developing the tech update will take as long as it took developing the entire game before the tech update.

also as others have mentioned this comes at the most suspicious time you can imagine. if his patreons and his discord fans are really okay with this i'll bow my had to him. that's some next level milking.

DaedusWolfe

Oct 26, 2017
This is asking too much, bro.

As I said before, people just want to externalize their frustration. The most we can do as community – which isn't much – is to make people aware that the development of this game is almost stalled and doesn't deserve the amount of funding. The tag is a crucial part to push this muffled message forward.
Not likely to happen. The moderators are apparently rejecting reports saying the thread needs an Abandoned tag

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
if his patreons and his discord fans are really okay with this i'll bow my had to him.
Honestly, I'd be surprised if it would be otherwiese. Those fans who gave money because they want to see focussed releases have stopped paying years ago - that's one reason why you'll see so many ex-patrons over here.

Quite on the contrary, the fact that there'll be updates again - let alone possibly regular ones - will probably lead to an noticable uptick in earnings.

4.20 star(s) 343 Votes