redle

Apr 12, 2017
What Paz said. If you go in and manually edit the qsp, all your work will be lost and buried the next time an update is made. You, or someone else, will then need to go through the entire file and copy and paste line item by line item or block copy and likely break the game, then need to debug the whole thing just to carry all your work forward one update at a time.

Reactions: M$hot

M$hot

May 28, 2017
Obviously I don't want to do the work for nothing. But I can't find this dictionary I am supposed to edit instead? @redle @Paz

I'd rather have it be futureproof, because otherwise all the work is piss in the wind in like 2 months. But I'm curious if doing the dictionary will achieve much? I don't speak Russian, I just have a degree in English and good memory I was planning to do this with. Please tell me if dictionary is still an option if I don't speak Russian?

If not, I guess it will be up to me to make sure translation will securely make it from .20 to .21.

Anyway, let me know!

jovoshin

Sep 30, 2017
Instructions:
1- Extract to desired location.
3- Replace the qsp that's in the assets/standalone_contents folder with one of the files that are in the post if your are wanting to play in english
4- Run "Son of Bitch.exe" to play game
So i dont understand wich of 7 files in OP to download to translate game to Englesh?
Is the "start.gsp" one i need?

4nan

Aug 20, 2016
It's probably okay to translate machine if you palyed the game enough. actually you can write your own scenario since machine-translate is shit.

4nan

Aug 20, 2016
yeah.
  • Sob_19_en_Quacker.qsp - It is the English vanilla file. The stats for any of the characters have not been touched and no cheat menu exist in this version, only a few bug fixes and a naming input made available.
  • SuperCheatMod_19_Eng_Quack V3.qsp - Combines Kinnerman and Skatanafao mods in one to fit any and every cheater needs, as well as adds the naming input
  • start.qsp - Russian vanilla file for all you people that loves the game in it's native form.
  • SuperCheatMod_19_Eng_sknf_Quack V10.qsp, is all the previous versions just some more bug fixes from Skatanfao, and kinnerman, and Quacker, moved the naming input to make into a better location.
  • start_ru_mod_sknf.qsp - explained here

Reactions: jovoshin

Paz

Aug 9, 2016
Obviously I don't want to do the work for nothing. But I can't find this dictionary I am supposed to edit instead?

I'd rather have it be futureproof, because otherwise all the work is piss in the wind in like 2 months. But I'm curious if doing the dictionary will achieve much? I don't speak Russian, I just have a degree in English and good memory I was planning to do this with. Please tell me if dictionary is still an option if I don't speak Russian?

If not, I guess it will be up to me to make sure translation will securely make it from .20 to .21.

Anyway, let me know!
Here's my most recent dictionary.
It's just an XML with pairs of Russian-English strings that gets produced by the translation tool. It contains the exact same text as the QSP, just in a slightly different way. So just cleaning up the English text in there and then using that to translate 0.21 or whatever ensures that your changes will carry on.

4nan

Aug 20, 2016
Here is the link for .20 i just compared with 0.19 then download the diffrent files you can wait for a proper version if you want

Reactions: trau de and Ixiah

M$hot

May 28, 2017
Here's my most recent dictionary.
It's just an XML with pairs of Russian-English strings that gets produced by the translation tool. It contains the exact same text as the QSP, just in a slightly different way. So just cleaning up the English text in there and then using that to translate 0.21 or whatever ensures that your changes will carry on.
Ah, I see. But it also includes texts not from SoaB. You figured if I'm into fixing 1 QSP game, I'd be up for fixing them all? :p
I might, don't get me wrong, but I had to ask!
Could you suggest a program I use to edit it in? Because in Notepad and Wordpad it looks quite shit, for obvious reasons.

redle

Apr 12, 2017
Ah, I see. But it also includes texts not from SoaB. You figured if I'm into fixing 1 QSP game, I'd be up for fixing them all? :p
Could you suggest a program I use to edit it in? Because in Notepad and Wordpad it looks quite shit, for obvious reasons.
Just go to google and type in "free xml editor". Editors are too much of a personal preference war that spirals out of control. Try a couple and choose one you like.

For that matter, notepad does have an xml version.

M$hot

May 28, 2017
Just go to google and type in "free xml editor". Editors are too much of a personal preference war that spirals out of control. Try a couple and choose one you like.

For that matter, notepad does have an xml version.
Okay, I picked one. My question is, if the entire dictionary is updated, do you or @Paz know how I can use it to 'retranslate' the Russian .20? Because I would need that program to check if the translations are going right. Thanks on forehand for thinking along!

Paz

Aug 9, 2016
It does? That's my SoB-only dictionary, though there may be some redundant strings from previous versions that got changed. Other than that, it should be SoB-only.

As for an editor, Notepad++ should be fine.

Okay, I picked one. My question is, if the entire dictionary is updated, do you or @Paz know how I can use it to 'retranslate' the Russian .20? Because I would need that program to check if the translations are going right. Thanks on forehand for thinking along!
You'd wanna use ttant's QSPTools, it's linked somewhere in this forum. There's also a mini How-To I've written that should get you through the process for the most part.

That said, there should't be any problems when you just replace text, except for one thing listed below to save you serious trouble.
Note: When abbreviating or quoting text in the strings, do not use single or double quotes (' or "), because they are reserved characters in the QSP engine and will 150% break code enclosure and the game as an effect. Instead use ` (The one in the tilde button) which is similar and safe.

Last edited:

M$hot

May 28, 2017
Okay, the dictionary is out. I can make the text work (for example, the prologue) but then I would butcher the meaning of that entry if it shows up again. The Prologue is like 20 entries, which means to make it make sense I have to butcher 20 entries which will cause a whole lot of grammatical fuck ups later stages in the game.

Convinced situational translation is the only way to go now, but that means it's versionbound. So I have some thinking to do if it's worth it to fix the .20 and leave it there or figure out some protocol that would enable carrying over the changes to .21 and beyond. Sadly the updates aren't all contained in a singular node, so it's not like you can just add the '.21 location' and translate that.

Anyway, thanks guys for thinking along! I suspect I will try my hand at trying for a situational translation on the .20. Got to sleep on it, will circle back to it tomorrow.

M$hot

May 28, 2017
none of the above are HACKED.
Here is Paz's 0.20 Eng QSP file, with both the FAQ cheat menu and SK's super-menu cheats copied over from 0.19. I have not tested the FAQ cheat menu, but I used the super-menu yesterday for hours and the only issue that it has is the affection-modifier doesn't work. To compensate for that, I maxed out affection in the qsp itself for all characters except Sasha, for obvious reasons. For those jonesing for a SoB fix asap, here ya go until a more prim and proper cheat QSP gets posted. Oh and I had to upload to a site cause this site's file upload kept giving me errors, for some reason.

I don't know, a 0.20 QSP with many cheats implemented as Shiddily mentioned, sounds to me like what you may call 'hacked'. If this isn't what you mean with hacked, then I'm not sure what exactly you're looking for.

ardyman_2000

May 10, 2017
Here is Paz's 0.20 Eng QSP file, with both the FAQ cheat menu and SK's super-menu cheats copied over from 0.19. I have not tested the FAQ cheat menu, but I used the super-menu yesterday for hours and the only issue that it has is the affection-modifier doesn't work. To compensate for that, I maxed out affection in the qsp itself for all characters except Sasha, for obvious reasons. For those jonesing for a SoB fix asap, here ya go until a more prim and proper cheat QSP gets posted. Oh and I had to upload to a site cause this site's file upload kept giving me errors, for some reason.

The Affection-modifier didn't work because in 0.19 mod, the code is written in english... the tag is "affection_to_gg" .. and in 0.20 qsp it is still in russian.. so if you can use qgen5.70 and use 'find and replace' option for whole file to interchange these tags from russian to english... the Modfor 0.19 will work just fine for 0.20 too except just for the new characters..for them you have to type in the chaactercheatmodifier..

oh, and also, you might need to change the tag "skill_massage" of the main character in 0.20 qsp in its info location...thats in russian too..

hope this will help the ones who are into code changes, etc... not exactly my cup of tea though..

shiddily

Aug 5, 2016
The Affection-modifier didn't work because in 0.19 mod, the code is written in english... the tag is "affection_to_gg" .. and in 0.20 qsp it is still in russian.. so if you can use qgen5.70 and use 'find and replace' option for whole file to interchange these tags from russian to english... the Modfor 0.19 will work just fine for 0.20 too except just for the new characters..for them you have to type in the chaactercheatmodifier..

oh, and also, you might need to change the tag "skill_massage" of the main character in 0.20 qsp in its info location...thats in russian too..

hope this will help the ones who are into code changes, etc... not exactly my cup of tea though..
Oh yea, I forgot the massage skill cheat was not working, but I checked the qsp I uploaded, and I had already edited the starting variable for massage to be maxed, so people shouldn't have to worry about that.

And yea, I understood why the cheats weren't working, I was just too lazy to go about properly correcting them =P

Dropdude

Donor
Aug 5, 2016
You know, if you guys cleaned up his game for him, Avenger would probably use the version going forward. Contact him via email, he may like the idea since hes not the one doin all that work lol.

redle

Apr 12, 2017
You know, if you guys cleaned up his game for him, Avenger would probably use the version going forward. Contact him via email, he may like the idea since hes not the one doin all that work lol.
You do realize that the "clean up" these guys are doing are things that break from the hacks and translations that they add themselves. The original Russian version isn't broken. And if Avenger wanted to be coding in English then he'd already be doing so.

4.10 star(s) 26 Votes