[Ren'Py] SU Re-Imagined, an UNOFFICIAL Proof of Concept Ren'Py Demo - Community Development Thread

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
This is a community effort to re-imagine the game
Something Unlimited
using the Ren'Py framework

SU_ReImagined_MainScreen027.jpg

This is currently a work in progress, not a full game. This community development thread is intended to flesh out this concept further, and perhaps encourage community SU mods using this framework as a starting point, for the F95Zone community.
This builds upon the efforts of xMendoza to create a Ren'Py port of SU Unity, an effort that is in a lot of ways parallel to this one. Discussion of xMendoza's efforts are welcome in this thread, and if he so wishes, he is welcome to use this thread to discuss his efforts.

This thread is intended as a starting point to generate interest by modder and fanart types as a community effort. I'm just trying to keep the ball rolling here...

The coding framework that I've come up for this, I will also use (in a modified form that 'divorces' itself from SU Unity) in future game projects of my own, but in the meantime I'm sharing this 'built from the ground up' framework as a starting point for community mods, etc, which takes advantage of Ren'Py's moddability options.

SU Re-Imagined uses the SU Unity game as a 'basis' for the Ren'Py version, with a number of new gameplay framework ideas being showcased as well. Whether this ends up going anywhere will of course depend on the amount of interest.

You should, of course, consider supporting the original Something Unlimited game. Info about that game is here:

https://f95zone.to/threads/something-unlimited-v2-3-95-gunsmoke-games.326/post-9484566

Sunset Riders 7 makes some really cool art, that draws upon the 'Bruce Timm' animation style with his own twists, so PLEASE do consider supporting him as an artist. This effort is in some ways a homage to his cool art!

---

The current version of this Proof of Concept Demo (version 0.27.5) can be found here:

PC:
MEGA:

Mac:
MEGA:

Make sure to install this patch!

to install the 0.27.5b patch, just drag the /game folder in the linked .7z file above inside of your SU ReImagined 0.27.5 folder, which should merge /game with /game, it will ask if you want to overwrite four files, yes you do.

Changelog info and such for version 0.27.5 can be found HERE:
There are a few changes since 0.27, see the changelog!

Windows/Linux and Mac versions only for now. Android would require reaching out to someone who does Android ports... maybe when more content has been added.

Special thanks to Krull for allowing me to showcase some of his wallpapers in this demo!

SU Rebuilt 2 info:

Also, thanks to xMendoza for continuing to hammer away at SU Rebuilt 2.
the changelog and download links for the latest version of SU Rebuilt is detailed in this post.

SU REBUILT(2)
Most recent version:

https://f95zone.to/threads/renpy-su...unity-development-thread.144779/post-12594477

Note that SU Rebuilt 2 is an attempt to more faithfully recreate the original SU Unity gameplay in Ren'Py, whereas SU ReImagined is building upon the original gameplay ideas as well incorporating new ideas and content, while also 'Re-Imagining' the look and feel of the gameplay as well!

Also, thanks to Perniciousducks , joepe , Cult of Ape, petardo8,Sinner87, Oxynomad and Senchest for helping out with the latest SU ReImagined builds!

OhWee
:cool:

Note to Moderators: This isn't a game yet, it's just a proof of concept, so PLEASE DO NOT move this into the games section.

The linked demo is intended to kickstart a development discussion using these concepts and to build upon them, to help foster a community effort to build upon these concepts.

Last edited:

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Here's a few relevant screenshots showing a few of the current and planned features that are showcased in this Proof of Concept demo:

SU_Reimagined_QuartersScreen.jpg

SU_ReImagined_TalashopScreenWIP4.jpg

SU_ReImagined_ConsortsScreen.jpg

SUReImaginedVillainInterfaceHire.jpg SU_ReImagined_LegionSecurity.jpg

SU_ReImagined_CityMap.jpg SU_ReImagined_LexQuarters.jpg

SU_ReImagined_AssignmentScreen2.jpg

SU_Re-ImaginedGSStageUpgrad.jpg

SU_Re-Imagined_HelpScreen.jpg
SU_ReImagined_AboutScreen.jpg

Special thanks to Krull for allowing me to showcase a few of his really cool SU themed wallpapers!

BTW, I should post up my 'to do list'.

1) Fully implement the Living Quarters, so that gals that have their Lexcon devices upgraded to Level 7 (Unlocked) are moved into the Quarters, to allow associated scenes to be added.

- Girls can now be assigned to cells, IF they have any associated scenes coded. Otherwise, Lexcon Devices are blocked from upgrading above Level 6 with a T/F check.
- Batgirl has a couple of 'intro' scenes. Supergirl has more intro dialouge. Both need to have dancing, etc. scenes coded.
- Girl icons that show up on top of cells will change based on the costume chosen, IF associated costumes are in place. See Supergirl and Batgirl.

2) Implement the costume picker viewports, those are just placeholders for now.
- Partially done

3) Do something with the Yacht that I added to the harbor...

4) Find a workaround for the issue I was seeing that was causing variable errors on the Management screen when moving girls directly between slots, which promted me to implement the 'Must Unassign first' thing.

5) Add 'clear schedule' buttons to the Glamour Slam and Meta Bordello schedulers.
- DONE!

6) Implement the 'hire and employ Villains' framework.

- Hiring ready to go, need to code Captures, Heists and Security Assignments

Done!

7) Fully implement the 'Capture Heroines' framework. Using Mercy only is just a 'placeholder' for now.

8) Add Dancer, etc. routines to the Glamour Slam, and also enable viewing said scenes remotely during the 'end of evening' routine.

- Glamour Slam routines added, still need to test. MB hasn't been tackled yet.

9) Add tiers or some such to the wallpapers that show up on Lex's computer screen each evening, so that racier content can be added once the game has progressed to certain points, and maybe postpone showcasing some characters until they appear later in the associated story.

10) Fully implement my 'girl packs' idea. The framework is ready to go, but I disabled that functionality for now as it's not needed yet. The idea is that modders can create their own girlpacks, using whatever pics that they may have on hand for such things...

11) Implement various optional rules that have been suggested by myself and others, whenever the whim might strike.

- 3 day cooldown between Lexcon device upgrades implemented, need to add an optional rule switch.
- Lexcon Device Partial downgrades optional rule switch implemented.

12) Add 'cheats' to the Lexcon Mobile Interface dropdown.
Done!
13) Don't go insane o_O

14) Help others that might want to add artwork for various gals, and maybe new gals, to the existing game, and offer assistance as needed r.e. what they need to do to add scenes...

15) Widen the 'highlighted text' box on the Quick Capture screen so that Wonder Woman's name will fit inside...
- Done!

16) Change the Profile Screen picker so that it'll display up to six gals across before scrolling, i.e. copy a few picker settings over from Management Screen to the Profile screen.
- Done! Also implemented on Villain Interface Screen.

17) Ponder what the Villains and 'Special Guests' version of the Profile screen should look like...

18) Need more gals to work in the GS/MB, so maybe Villainesses? Special Guests? Optional rule of course!
- Power Girl added, content for her is being created.

19) Add a note on the Main Menu screen crediting Krull ans Sinner87 for their awesome wallpapers!
- Done!

20) Add disclaimer to OP of this thread noting that this is an UNOFFICIAL effort, that we are doing entirely on our own, and also ingame.

- Pretty Much done

21) Set up Layered Image code for a few characters as examples for others to draw upon.

- Supergirl conversation poses are now set up using the separate character sprites for head, arms & body, and hair. Zatanna, Stargirl, Harley and Joker will be in the next update. Still need to set up a few more examples.

22) Add coding examples for others to reference r.e. porting over animations using the existing SU sprites.

= Quick example with Lois Lane has been coded, just for fun in the Diner

23) Create 'tutorial' scripts at various points that show how things work.

- Currently on the backburner. OhWee may create something similar to what he did at the start of FmF for the more complex screens...

And a bunch of other stuff, just wanted to get this list started...

Last edited:

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
OK, this post is for those that want to help out with this effort.

QUESTION: What can I do to help?

Right now, the most important thing that is needed is transcription of various scenes from the original SU game so that they can be added to the Unofficial Community Ren'Py port.

Cell scenes are the primary thing that is needed right now. You can look at supergirl.rpy (in the /game/girls/Supergirl folder) for an idea of how scenes need to be set up to work within the framework that has been set up in SU ReImagined.

Setting up the Layered Image code to take advantage of the existing sprites from SU is probably the biggest challenge when setting up the various scenes. As I noted, there's an example of this in supergirl.rpy.. I can help you get this set up, so that adding images for the dialogue is much easier for you to do.

Other (non-monetary) contributions to this effort are also welcome of course.

QUESTION: I have little or no Ren'Py coding experience, but I'd still like to help.

Coding the various cell scenes Ren'Py is actually fairly easy to do. If you need some guidance, and perhaps have never tried to code in Ren'Py before, I can show you the ropes. It's actually pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Moving sprites around (enter, leave, etc.) is a bit more challenging, but right now the main thing is to get the dialogue and associated images in place, animation can be added later, and I'm happy to help you with this once you've created a few scenes and have the basics down.

Note that you'll be editing existing .rpy files, so you'll need Notepad2, Notepad++ or if you want to get fancy, various Ren'Py code applications. I use Notepad2 because I'm stubborn, but that doesn't mean you have to. The variables that you'll need to use are already coded in the various girl.rpy files, so you won't need to worry about setting those up, just using the ones you need for conversations and such.

QUESTION: Is new character fanart, etc. content welcome?

I'd personally like to see new characters added to ReImagined. KiteLass is all fine and good for example purposes, but she's a Daz Studio rendered character, not hand drawn, so I'd like to 'give her the boot' and replace her with some other character that more closely fits SR7's hand drawn style.

'Creating' a new character will probably mostly involve modifying existing sprites with new hairdos, etc., but of course you'll need to set up a few different poses and such for that character.

In addition, we'd love to see some threesome, etc. content added with Lex and two or more gals. I've created a small handful of pieces myself, but this is one area that is sorely neglected in SU currently. So once the 'basic content' has been added, I'd love to add threesome scenes for the Private Rooms in the Meta Bordello. When that time comes, I'll need to set up the code checks for that first of course.

QUESTION: Is there a Patreon or other subscription service set up for this? How about a Discord or Github?

This is a 'FOR FREE' community project, that we are doing just for fun.

No one is making any money off of this effort, and there are no plans for such things. As for Discord or Github, for now all conversations about this Proof of Concept demo will be conducted here, in this thread. And perhaps also via PM if you have coding questions and such, but yeah we want to keep this effort centralized, in this thread.

QUESTION: Would you like to see an 'official' Ren'Py port of SU based on this effort?

Of course! But we aren't holding our breath. Mainly, we just want to build up a framework for other people to create their own mods and such.

Note that our PM inboxes are open should someone want to reach out to myself ( OhWee ) or xMendoza about this effort. It might be nice to be compensated for our time if these efforts were used in an 'Official' capacity, but again we aren't holding our breath, and will just keep doing this UNOFFICIALLY, FOR FREE in the meantime. We have no desire to 'monetize' this effort ourselves.

Our 'overarching' goal is to create a Ren'Py port that is easily moddable, has multiple save slots (just three is just silly), and has more streamlined gameplay. More streamlined gameplay is a pet peeve of mine, and I've addressed such things previously in a couple of other games (most notably my interface contributions to Brothel King back in the 0.14 days, many of which were 'officially' incorporated into that community project).

Plus, if we can make SU look prettier with minor touches here and there, that's not a bad thing.

That's all I can think of for now. If you'd like to help, we could definitely use the help!

Last edited:

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Updated on 2/28/2023

OK, so this post is to detail a few things r.e. what's been set up so far in ReImagined as far as stats go.

Corruption

Corruption needs to be explained I think. This is mainly an excuse to have a stat bar, but it does serve an important function, i.e. tracking which 'lewd events' that Lex currently has available with a given gal. Note that for males, the interface relabels this stat as discontent level on the Villain's screen. I'll probably change this to contentment level as you want a higher value, to 'mirror' what corruption does.

Note that the corruption bar has a range of 30 currently, so each 'box' represents 3 corruption points, and boxes may display as 'partially full'...

Anyways, here are the Corruption Thresholds that I had in mind when adding this stat:.

Corruption LevelNotes
0Default/Lex hasn't had conversations with this gal yet
1-6Initial conversations
7-9Dancing
10-12Spanking (if spanking), could be other activity
13-15Stripping
16-18Handjob/Titjob?
19-21Blowjob
22-24Sex
25-27Anal
28'Sluttified' conversation, 'Slutty' costume added, nicknames mentioned
29Nicknames enabled
30+Fully Sluttified
31+Special situations - for tracking new content progression after full sluttification

Note that this progression will need to be tailored a bit for each gal, say if her progression is longer than other gals, or if some activities are 'skipped', but the general idea here is that once the Corruption bar has 5 full boxes, it's time for handjobs. 6 or more boxes means that Blowjobs are available, etc.

Or, to shorthand this, as a general guide for each box level:

1-2 = nothing fun yet, just chatting
3 = Dancing
4 = Spanking (or similar...)
5 = Stripping
6 = Handjobs/Titjobs
7 = Blowjobs
8 = Sex
9 = Anal
10 = Full sluttification

As to how this relates to the 'Rule of 3', some gals will progress much faster than others. Example, since gals assigned to Lex's quarters are usually pretty willing to have sex, corruption will progress much faster with said Villainess. On the flip side, Wonder Woman is a bit of a tough nut to crack, so her progression will go MUCH more slowly...

Usually each time you have a conversation at the start of the corruption progression, and for each activity, the Gal's corruption increases by 1, but say for stripping, which you usually only need to do once before the next step, the stat may increase by 3. If more steps are needed for a specific progression, fractional points can be awarded to 'compensate' in keeping with the corruption levels as detailed here. My point here is that the point rewards will need to be tailored a bit for each situation, depending on how 'willing' a gal is and which activity target level you are currently at.

That's how I envision corruption working anyways.

---

Chat Level

Another important stat that is being tracked is Chat Level. In the code this appears as:
Supergirl_chat (or whatever gal you are currently talking to).

Chat is used mainly to track conversation progressions, and controls which 'talk' label the game jumps to when talking to that gal. It's also used to reference when the quarters menu should appear (i.e. choose to talk or some other activity), or when the menu should be 'pre-empted' in favor of some conversational event, say the gal wants to show off her new costume...

Chat won't cover ALL conversational situations, mainly just the ones that tie in with Corruption progression.

This stat isn't currently displayed, but perhaps it should be...

---

Sexworker

One other stat that is used is sexworker. Example:

Supergirl_sexworker = False

Almost all Heroines and Villainesses have this set to False, except for Starfire, who's default is 'True'.

What this stat does is allow a girl to work in the Glamour Slam and Meta Bordello while also being available in the Lexcorp Quarters for converstions, etc., i.e. if True this gal will do 'double duty'.

The idea here is that other gals might willingly decide to become Sexworkers at some point, for a 'cut' of the proceeds. This should require full sluttification first, and perhaps other conditions, and isn't something that isn't a thing in SU Unity of course. It's an 'optional rule' that a number of people have suggested over the years, so we'll be able to explore this on a case by case basis here.

Some Superheroines may be quite resistant to this idea, while others will go for it more willingly, hence the 'case by case' basis thing. Again, this variable currently mainly exists because of Starfire being able to do 'double duty' but it opens up the door for future options and content with other gals, as of course associated art would need to be created/modified first...

---

Fatigue

Fatigue is the stat I came up with to emulate the 'income degrades over time as a gal is scheduled at the GS/MB, until you re-assign her' thing.

The Fatigue bar has a range of 15.

Each day that a gal performs at the Glamour Slam or Meta Bordello, fatigue is added to her Fatigue stat. The number currently being added is:

Dancing + 1
Stripping + 1.1
Eroplay + 1.2
Bordello Room + 1.3
Private Show + 1.4
Playpen + 1.5

The idea here being that some activities are more strenuous than others...

There's a colored fatigue bar that appears under each gal's slot pic in the Management screen, that shows her current fatigue level. Fatigue level is also displayed on the Profiles screen.

Fatigue is restored by Unassigning a gal, or letting her rest.
4.5 to 5 points are restored by resting.

Other activities (such as having sex with said gal in her quarters) will also affect fatigue.

Fatigue affects the amount of income a girl earns each night if scheduled at the GS/MB. The modifier is essntially:
Money * (100 - (fatigue level squared))
So if a gal's fatigue is 10 or higher, she won't earn you any money. A fatigue level of 5 will reduce income by 25%. You get the idea here.

There's a 'refuses to work' routine if a girl's fatigue is higher than a 'trigger' threshold, where she simply does not work. This is done automatically, and that gal goes home to rest (and restores a bit of fatigue at that point).

I'm still fine tuning the numbers here, but that's the basic rundown on how Fatigue works.

One other note. You will note that in the Glamour Slam and Meta bordello, there are 3 and 2 'on call' slots respectively. Gals assigned to this position will replace the first gal that has a fatigue level above a certain level, and the other gal is 'swapped' into the 'on call' at that point, and is unavailable for the rest of that night (i.e. she isn't 'swapped back in as she's sent home to rest).

There's a second 'fatigue bar' that appears underneath the 'on call' girl's fatigue bar. This bar defaults at 'Fatigue level 5', but can be adjusted to set at which point the 'on call' gal should replace the first gal that has a fatigue level above that value. Essentially, just click or drag this bar to set this threshold to a new level. Note that this level can be set individually for each activity, so you can tailor things a bit based on the gals that you have working currently.

---

Income Earned

The amount of income earned each night (as of the next update) is based on which position a gal is assigned to. Essentially:

Dancing 1500 + (1-750)
Stripping 1800 + (1-900)
Eroplay 2100 + (1 - 1050)
Bordello Chambers 2400 + (1-1200)
Private rooms 2700 + (1-1350)
Playpen 3000 + (1-1500)

---

OK, that's the 'under the hood' stuff that I can think of atm that hasn't been detailed extensively in this thread as of yet.

This number is reduced by the fatigue level adjustment (fatigue level squared), and on Fridays and Saturdays this amount is increased by 35%.
This number is also adjusted by the Glamour Slam/Meta Bordello income bonus, and will also be adjusted by an assigned henchman's modifier once I code that in.

I also have an idea where the 'leash scenes' at the Glamour Slam or in the Alley will generate a bit of income, but that hasn't been explored yet.

---

A quick note about choice menu positioning...

So, for those that are coding stuff for SU ReImagined, you probably have noted that the 'choice menu' is bouncing all over the place. This is being accomplished with the menu_pos variable, which has been created/assigned specifically to position the choice menu.

Essentially , just before the menu: tag, add say
$menu_pos = "fr"
and the choice menu will be centered vertically, while shifted a little bit to the right.

The position options that have currently been set up in screens.rpy are:

Code:
        if menu_pos == "fr":
            xalign 0.8
            yalign 0.5
        elif menu_pos == "ftr":
            xalign 0.8
            yalign 0.25
        elif menu_pos == "cr":
            xalign 0.95
            yalign 0.5
        elif menu_pos == "bcr"
            xalign 0.95
            yalign 0.7
        elif menu_pos == "br":
            xalign 0.95
            yalign 0.85
        elif menu_pos == "tr":
            xalign 0.95
            yalign 0.15
        elif menu_pos == "fl":
            xalign 0.3
            yalign 0.5
        elif menu_pos == "ftl":
            xalign 0.3
            yalign 0.25
        elif menu_pos == "cl":
            xalign 0.05
            yalign 0.5
        elif menu_pos == "bcl":
            xalign 0.05
            yalign 0.7
        elif menu_pos == "bl":
            xalign 0.05
            yalign 0.85
        elif menu_pos == "tl":
            xalign 0.05
            yalign 0.15

else: #any other value will center this menu
            xalign 0.5
            yalign 0.5
More can be added fairly easily if needed, but this gives you a bunch of choice menu positioning options already.

Last edited:

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
OhWee's Guide for making Girl Packs for SU ReImagined:

Added on 03/30/2023

So a few people have been curious about how best to set up girl packs, what pictures are needed, etc.

First off, I would recommend that people that are interested in such things open up the Zatanna folder, and open up Zatanna.rpy to follow along.

Note that the folder names have no spaces in between the first and last names if there is a last name (note WonderWoman.rpy), and that associated sprites also do not have a space (example: WonderWoman_profile0.png). Also note that the names are capitalized for consistency, i.e.
game/girls/Zatanna

For other girls, simply substitute Zatanna with the name of the girl in question (Supergirl, etc.).

So, SU ReImagined looks for a few pictures, that are linked to the current outfit that a girl is wearing. I'll talk more about these in a bit.

Outfit 0 is the 'default' Superheroine outfit, i.e. the outfit that she's wearing when she first shows up at the Glamour Slam.

Outfit 1 is the first outfit that we see when we first visit a girl in the Lexcorp Quarters area, IF it's not her default superheroine costume.

Outfit 2, etc. are subesquent outfits, usually in the order that they first appear in the Lexcorp Quarters scenes.

Outfit 69 is her "Birthday Suit", i.e. completely naked with no clothing items whatsoever. I picked 69 because the odds of a girl having 68 other outfits are extremely low, and 69 invokes visions of nekkid bodies...

So, outfits are tied to two variables:

Zatanna_outfits is the number of outfits (besides her 'default' Superheroine outfit, that she has in her outfit inventory. Not including the 'Birthday Suit' of course!

Zatanna_current_outfit is the current outfit that a Superheroine is wearing.

So if Zatanna is wearing her "Silver Age" outfit, that is indexed as outfit 2 in the Zatanna.rpy folder. Note that the associated body sprite is bodyoutfit2.png

Anyways, so back to what the rest of the framework is looking for.

1) Profile pics for each outfit.
- these are referred to as Zatanna_profile0.png, Zatanna_profile1.png etc.

- Profile pics should be 'different from' the conversational sprite if other sprites are available in that particular outfit, and I usually face those towards the left. Neither of these are requirements, this is simply to make the Profile and Management screens profile pics a little more interesting/not the same as the other pics used on those screens.

- Profile pics are 500 x 510 pixels, and are 'cropped' to conform with this background, with a bit of overlap:

Profilepic_crop_background.png

- Simply overlay the pic you want to use for the profile pic on top of this background image (which is sized at 500 x 510). As for cropping, I've been using the bottom angled corners as the 'crop guide'. while having the head and arms extend outside of the box, while having the body cropped just below the breasts. This is a 'use your best judgement' situation. sometimes I'll crop the left side so that it conforms with the box (i.e. the right shoulder is 'behind' the box edge if that makes sense) again, this just comes down to whatever works best for the pic you are working with, AS LONG AS the image isn't wider than 500 pixels when you are done. Remember to 'hide' the crop/background image before you save your pics.

- Again, you will need one profile pic for each outfit. Also a 'birthday suit' variant for 'outfit' 69.

- Note that Zatanna has a 69 and 69n variant. The 69 variant is 'nude with mask/hat' the idea being that a girl will still wear her mask in the Glamour Slam even if she's otherwise completely nude, while 69n is without the mask. As for other nude variations, eventually I had planned to add a switch for these, where a gal is 'mostly nude but still wearing costume accessories'. Batgirl's 'alternate' sprites for the Glamour Slam would be a good example for these, and Zatanna has some 'n' sprites. HOWEVER, I haven't set up the profile pics to check for 'n' variations yet as a bunch of associated sprites and profile pics would need to be created/added.

- Check out some of the other girls for a few references r.e. cropping ideas.

Profileoutfit pics:

- Profileoutfit pics are 460 tall, and about 270 or less pixels wide. The width can vary, the main thing is to center the image, leaving extra pixels to the right as needed to 'center' the image. This pic appears at the left of the Profile screen, and overlaps a bit to the left, as well as at the top. I usually use the 'conversational' sprites for these, which are usually cropped already just above the knees.
- Profile Outfit pics are labeled Zatanna_profileoutfit0.png, etc.

Quartersoutfit pics:
- Quartersoutfit pics are 230 pixels tall, and appear on top of the quarters icon that they are assigned to. I usually crop these just below the cameltoe.
- Quarters Outfit pics are labled Zatanna_slotoutfit0.png etc.

Slotoutfit pics:
- Slot Outfit pics are the sprites that appear when a girl is assigned to a slot at the GS/MB, are 210 pixels tall, and again are based on the conversational sprites for each outfit. The width here is important, so that it doesn't overlap with other slots. Probably no wider than 130ish pixels (note Hawkgirl's sprite).
- Slot Outfit pics are labeled Zatanna_slotouftit0.png, etc.

Mgmtprofile pics:
- Mgmt Profile pics are up to 360 pixels tall, no wider than 260 pixels wide, and usually appear on the Management screen as well as for Mercy's capture screens and the device upgrade screens. Again, I usually try to crop these just below the cameltoe...
- Mgmt Profile pics are labeled Zatanna_mgmtprofilepic0.png, etc.
- I usually try to face these to the left (similar to the profile pics), use your best judgement.
- Mgmt Provile Pics use this background as a 'window guide' for the angled crops at the bottom, and again I often crop out the right shoulder along the left side of the crop guide (again, use your best judgement here). The head, arms, etc. should take maximum advantage of the 360 x 260 image size, and again will extend above the top of the background box. Remember to 'hide' the crop guide before you save the pic.

mgmtprofilepics.png

Outfit Picker icons:
- These are the 'full body' icons used in the Profile and Management picker viewports. They may be slightly shorter than 210 pixels, and no wider than 90 pixels (again, see Hawkgirl). Width is usually a lot less than say 80 pixels... these use the same 'thumbnail' sprites as SU Unity (for now...)
- Outfit picker icons are labeled Zatanna_outfit0.png. Note that there is usually a 'n' variant, i.e. Zatanna_outfit0n.png.

Resizing sprites for SU ReImagined:

SU Unity is designed with a 1024 maximum screen height in mind for a number of the conversational sprites and such. SU ReImagined takes advantage of a 1920 x 1080 window size. This means that a number of the conversational sprites need to be upsized 5% (to 105%), but note that I often double check the 'target height' against the DCAU database and such. SR7 is usually pretty good about referencing these heights already, but double checking can't hurt...

I use the following chart to double check the character heights vs. Lex, who is listed as 6'2" in the DCAU database (remember to maximize the size of the image below before you save it, it should be 1750 pixels tall (see this post):

In any case, we've been resaving the .pngs anyways as this reduces their size by a lot (say at least 2/3rds) simply by resaving them in Photoshop, and upsizing them as needed while this is being done.

LayeredImage code examples and methodology.

SU Unity often divides the conversational sprites into several body parts, which emote different gestures and expressions as well as change up the outfits for a given pose. We've been able to re-create that functionality in Ren'Py using layered image.

This isn't 100% required, you could just combine the sprites yourself in Photsohop into a single 'full body' sprite and save each pose variations that way, but if you want to check out a few examples of how to work with the separated sprties, check out Zatanna.rpy, Supergirl.rpy, Stargirl.rpy, Mercy.rpy, Harley.rpy, Lex.rpy...

I've been putting all of the associated sprites onto a single canvas in Photoshop using layers, stacking them as appropriate.

I resize the Photoshop canvas to 'fit' all of the parts, say 1080 pixels high and however wide that I need.

I then focus on each body part in turn, lining them up using the associated HQ Assets pack pic as a guide.

Once all of the body part variations for that particular conversational sprite have been added, I rescale the image to 105% or whatever the height chart scale factor was when I double checked the height.

If there are any 'glitches' with the sprites, I'll correct them at this time. Say a stray pixel or whatever...

Then I save the Photoshop document (so that I can revert if needed), hiding all of the other body parts except for the one I'm doing (left arm, etc.) and 'show' all of the variations of that body part to establish my 'crop size'. Then I crop down the image to 'fit' the pose/expression variations for that part, and then show/hide each body part variation in turn, saving it using a suitable name (i.e. left_arm_back, left_arm_gesture, etc) as .pngs of course!

If there are costume variations, I usually use the 'index number' for that boty part (example: Zatanna_bodyouftit0.png), that way I can use the outfit index number later to reference that outfit variation for each body part as needed. Zatanna doesn't really have gesture variations, but see the other examples (say Mercy.rpy) for an example of this.

Once I've saved the variations for that body part separately, I 'uncrop' the image and then move on to the next body part (note that you can 'revert' to the last saved version as well) establish the new 'crop size' that will fit all variations of the new body part, and repeat the process.

Once this is done, since all of the 'body part variations' are the same size, you can more easily work out their positioning for Layered image, instead of having to work out the repositioning of each body part variation separately.

In any case, it just comes down to what works best for you here.

Dialogues, etc.

Thanks to joepe being able to extract the dialogues from SU Unity (see this post) adding the SU Unity dialogues to each girl's .rpy files is fairly easy. SR7 did get a bit carried away with styling the text, so if you want to simplify that a bit, that's perfectly fine and is what I've been doing (excessive styling lessens the impact of said styling...).

One text tag that you should be aware of is the bold type font, which I have set up as:
Code:
{bt}Zatanna{/bt}
Which is essentially bt inside of 'curly' brackets.

This will be less 'bold' than using the bold or b tag, and will also be italicized. I think it looks better than the bold tag, this comes down to personal preference.

In any case, you may still need to 'run through' the various scenes in SU Unity to figure out the poses/expressions/gestures for each part of the dialogue, but if you've set up the layered image correctly, this should be fairly easy to code:

Example:
show Lex back hip talk
(Lex's layered image code is in guys/Lex/Lex.rpy for reference should you want to see which tags to use).

---

Notes on default variables and such:

So, if you are adding a new girl to SU ReImagined, simply use Zatanna.rpy as your 'baseline', replacing Zatanna with the name of your girl (no spaces between first and last name if there is a last name) for all of the default variables. Then, go back through and edit the various information (costume descriptions, description text and such) to match up with the new girl.

There are a few variables of note as you are coding dialogue. These are usually applied at the end of a conversation.

Zatanna_chat
- This is used to determine which 'talk label' to jump to next when working through the various conversations.

Zatanna_talk_day
- This is used to indicate if you talked to Zatanna today, or in the case of 'recruitment' text, if you talked ABOUT Zatanna that day (before she is finally captured).

Zatanna_max_chat
- This is used to indicated if you've hit an 'end point' in conversations with Zatanna for now, to indicate when you should jump to the 'Nothing further to discuss right now' label. This can be increased at the point when other conditions are met, which would trigger new conversations.

Zatanna_interactions
- This tracks how many times you've interacted with Zatanna today, if more than one interaction is allowed. When this variable is 3 or higher, it 'locks out' further interactions for the reast of that day (if coded properly, look at Zatanna.rpy for examples), and 'turns out the lights' in her cell on the Quarters Screen for that night. This is to allow players to repeat certain interactions on a given day, once the initial conversations are out of the way (which add 3 to interactions instead of 1). Say if you wanted to have Zatanna dance, then strip, before giving you a blowjob...

Zatanna_corruption
- This tracks how far you've progressed with Zatanna (or whomever), which determines which 'sexy fun time' activities may be available, and how 'slutty' she has become overall.

Zatanna_corrruptionlevel
- This sets the 'baseline' for which activities might be available on a given night.
- Example, Zatanna_corruption at the start of a given day is 12, so Stripping has become available as an activity. If she earns more corruption points today, more 'interesting' activities will not become available until the next day (say Blowjobs, etc. as she's still at 'Stripping' level). You might be able to get her to dance for you in the nude though...

Zatanna_outfit0nude (as well as Zatanna_outfit1nude, etc.)
- This indicates if Zatanna has stripped in a specific outfit yet. This is mainly used for later, IF 'mostly naked' variations of an outfit are available, then the 'mostly nude' outfti variant may be chosen. Most girls don't have these, Batgirl for example has 'mostly nude' costumes that she can wear in the GS/MB (once that is set up...). Zatanna has conversational sprites with 'mostly nude' variants, but no other sprites.

There's a few others of course, feel free to ask about them if you don't understand what they are for...

Anyways, that should be a suitable primer for now. Feel free to ask if you have any questions!

Last edited:

Rubbishcoder

Feb 7, 2018
Seems to be coming along nicely. Bit odd how you can watch uncaptured girls dance but it's only a demo. The profile screens are good, will they display different outfits once selected in the big window or just the one on the left?

Reactions: JJsworld and OhWee

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Seems to be coming along nicely. Bit odd how you can watch uncaptured girls dance but it's only a demo. The profile screens are good, will they display different outfits once selected in the big window or just the one on the left?
The current dancers are just placeholders. The 'groundwork' to switch over the 'watch girls dance' thing using the Managment scheduler to determine who is dancing that night is already there, it's just one of many 'to do' list things...

Costume pickers, same deal. Picking my battles at the moment, and getting the management screen working as good as it is now has been a bit of a bear. It's still not working quite as well as I intended, so I had to 'disable' moving gals directly from one slot to another slot for now, until I can come back to that issue and see if I can work around the errors that were popping up.

I wanted to share what I have so far, to hopefully generate interest in these ideas. Which reminds me, I need to add a 'to do' list to one of my reserved posts!

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
So of course I found an issue or two after I uploaded, so there will be a patch incoming. Just need to fix a few things...

Some text moved on one of my buttons, so now it's off to the right overlapping some other text. Fortunately that text goes away after you upgrade the Glamour Slam, but yeah should just be in the right place.

Also, this was reported:

So far it feels really good, still in the beta stage of course. I will note I found this little bug
View attachment 2314916
Keep up the awesome work!
I'm not sure what happened here, but if anyone else sees this, if you could tell me what you were doing when this happened, I might be able to track down the 'cloning routine'. Yeah Cloning is a thing in SU, but not this fast... I playtested this a lot, and until now only saw this issue a couple of times and was able to 'fix' the appropriate code, so this is coming from somewhere else maybe...
:p

Python still isn't my jam, but I do my best!

Also, if you see blurry thumbnails on the autosave, go into Preferences and set Display to 'Window'. Apparently this is a 'known' Ren'Py issue with save thumbnails apparently that I haven't seen before...

Reserving this post for tutorial related stuff. It'll be a while before I get to adding an interactive tutorial ingame, so I'll post a guide of sorts to, to explain the more complicated screens (mainly the management screen) and other concepts.

Last edited:

Emperor

Aug 2, 2018
dude, seriously, this is impressive! I like it a lot and hope it will get very popular.
and if Sunset starts bitching, well you can easily switch it to Vandal Savage trying to enslave superheroines for his "ultimate army" or something like that. Keep up the good work!

Reactions: OhWee

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
I uploaded a quick 'hotfix' patch.

Changelog:

1) Adjusts the spacing of the girls on the Profile Screen - up to six girls across can fit in the viewport now, similar to the Management Screen)

2) Implements the 'show only girls scheduled to dance at the Glamour Slam when you go to watch them' thingie...

3) Possible fix for the duplicate Black Canary icons

4) Re-aligned the help text in the 'on call' Dancer slot so that it's inside of the box again (adding another element shifted it). The help text disappears once the Glamour Slam is upgraded to level 2, so it's a minor issue, but it needed to be fixed...

More feedback is welcome!

jimmynohands EmperorPrime

Thanks for the compliments guys!

Morkar

Aug 9, 2016
Very good version 2.0 but I would change one thing instead of the tab to see the girls dance I would change it to see the girls perform and then just choose who you want to see so you don't have to have a tab for each of the girls' performances (strip dance...)

• Thinking Face

Rubbishcoder

Feb 7, 2018
I uploaded a quick 'hotfix' patch.
Two things I noticed was Cassies name was too far left covering the aka but that might be something you've fixed and Hawkgirl coming out of the box and her wing covering the aka, but it's up to you if you crop her to fit inside the box or leave her popping out of it, as some sort of homage to when things pop out of comic book panels.

• Thinking Face

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
[/QUOTE]
Very good version 2.0 but I would change one thing instead of the tab to see the girls dance I would change it to see the girls perform and then just choose who you want to see so you don't have to have a tab for each of the girls' performances (strip dance...)
Good observation. I haven't made it that far yet, i.e. someone (probably me) would have to 'build' the strip performances, eroplay performances, etc.. I had to line up each girl in Photoshop and adjust her scaling so that it'd work as shown.

The main purpose of that was to show that I worked out the code/formula to build the dancer scenes 'in place', i.e. not having to fall back on each girl's .rpy file for the scene. Hawkgirl and her bodacious wings still needed an 'exception' though... It would have just been easier to combine the background with the girl in Photoshop, but that wasn't what I was trying to do. This should help slightly with download sizes though (i.e. not duplicating the background with the girl each time in each girl's .rpy folder).

There are reasons to still 'build' the scene individually for each girl (i.e. if you wanted to put together an extended scene for just that one girl, maybe an ex-boyfriend shows up or something), but that might be able to be handled with a 'check her .rpy label first for variations...'

Two things I noticed was Cassies name was too far left covering the aka but that might be something you've fixed and Hawkgirl coming out of the box and her wing covering the aka, but it's up to you if you crop her to fit inside the box or leave her popping out of it, as some sort of homage to when things pop out of comic book panels.
Hmmm, might need to left justify that text then, I probably centered it...

And yeah, the 'popping out of the boxes' thing is my effort to invoke a bit more of the 'comic book' style if that makes any sense. Plus more of the girls to admire...

View attachment 2315674
Still got the clone glitch, but love the new tweaks :)
Dinah just really wants to be here! Hmmm, the offending code must be elsewhere then... is it just happening with Black Canary?

I could put in a routine to kill off any extra instances of Dinah if they pop up, but that might be cruel of something... I'd rather just find the code that is duplicating her.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2020
Good observation. I haven't made it that far yet, i.e. someone (probably me) would have to 'build' the strip performances, eroplay performances, etc.. I had to line up each girl in Photoshop and adjust her scaling so that it'd work as shown.

The main purpose of that was to show that I worked out the code/formula to build the dancer scenes 'in place', i.e. not having to fall back on each girl's .rpy file for the scene. Hawkgirl and her bodacious wings still needed an 'exception' though... It would have just been easier to combine the background with the girl in Photoshop, but that wasn't what I was trying to do. This should help slightly with download sizes though (i.e. not duplicating the background with the girl each time in each girl's .rpy folder).

There are reasons to still 'build' the scene individually for each girl (i.e. if you wanted to put together an extended scene for just that one girl, maybe an ex-boyfriend shows up or something), but that might be able to be handled with a 'check her .rpy label first for variations...'

Hmmm, might need to left justify that text then, I probably centered it...

And yeah, the 'popping out of the boxes' thing is my effort to invoke a bit more of the 'comic book' style if that makes any sense. Plus more of the girls to admire...

Dinah just really wants to be here! Hmmm, the offending code must be elsewhere then... is it just happening with Black Canary?

I could put in a routine to kill off any extra instances of Dinah if they pop up, but that might be cruel of something... I'd rather just find the code that is duplicating her.
Yeah, pretty much only happens to Dinah

Last edited:
  • Haha

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Baby steps...

SU_Re-ImaginedProfileScreenTweaks.jpg

I (finally) added the day and day name underneath the account balance, and adjusted the interface slightly so that the 'Manage' button wasn't overlapping the rest of the screen background. I also added the Heroines, Guests, and Villains buttons for later, when I get around to building modified versions of this screen layout for those gals...

If anyone is interested in assisting with scene building, drop me a PM. Thinking cell scenes and such.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Quick note on height checks.

A few days ago I put together this height chart to double check sprite heights:

In the DCAU Wiki, Lex is listed as 6'2 (without his boot heels presumably), Batgirl is listed as 5'3", and Roulette is listed as 5'9". In SU Unity, in the intro conversation, Roulette and Tala have similar heights, and both are a bit shorter than Lex. I 'eyeballed' the gals when I was setting up their heights using reference points in the background, and in SU, their 'shown' heights in the intro seem to be quite comparable to their 'officially listed' heights.

For a lot of the gals I've shown in SU Re-Imagined, I've scaled them up to 105% (so increased by 5%) to take advantage of the 1080p 'default' screen height. SU Re-Imagined's 'Default' resolution is 1920 x 1080, although Ren'Py rescales this on the fly to whatever size you've made the window.

Anyways, I also made another version of this reference graphic for anyone that may wish to double check heights for 'conversational' poses. I'm using the DCAU Wiki for reference heights. A number of characters don't have 'official' heights listed, but a number do...

LexHeightChart.jpg

For dancer and stripper scenes, I decided to scale up the gals to take maximum advantage of the 1920 x 1080 screen size. So mostly just a bit shorter than 1080 pixels if in a mostly vertical pose, and aligning them with the stripper pole so that they still fit within the 1920 margins for the wider poses, while keeping the stripper pole in the same alignment.

I have the 'stripper' sprites done, I just need to write the display routines for those sprites. There are at least two different stripper sprites for each gal, a couple of them have more...

Things are definetly far enough along for others to tackle various cell scenes and such. I'm working on 'activating' the 'transfer to Lexcorp cell' routines atm when devices are upgraded to Level 7 (Unlocked), and will add some quick 'placeholder' text to the various .rpy files with a 'no scenes have been added yet.

There's a lot of ground to cover, and I'm more focused on interface design than scene building, so if someone (besides xMendoza) should be interested in such things...

Last edited:
5.00 star(s) 1 Vote