• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

[Ren'Py] SU Re-Imagined, an UNOFFICIAL Proof of Concept Ren'Py Demo - Community Development Thread

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Thanks! Also, no girls have bordello scenes yet, right?
Not yet. I need to set up the Eroplay scenes first, then introduce a code check for Bordello content for the girls when I tackle those sprites, as some girls don't have pics for various scenes.

Well, of course, you better join forces, make a cool port and try to negotiate with Sunset to sell your port and services.
I have my own opinion on this, but suffice it to say that my main goal here is to help foster a 'new and improved' version of this game, that is more modder friendly.

A lot of people like SR7's art, and using a cleaner code framework might eventually free up some of SR7's time so that he can focus more on art an less on debugging the Fungus 2015 Unity framework.

And if SR7 chooses to continue to be 'stubborn' about sticking with Unity, well F95Zone modder/fanart community here has been wanting a moddable SU game for years now, hence why I'm doing my best to kickstart the whole 'community development' thing. Ren'Py is rather mod friendly...

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Updated demo download (OP has been edited):

Just a couple of minor changes (fixed Catwoman's pic name, adjusted a few alignments and increased the profile screen descriptor box so that the profile text would fit inside of the box. As I mentioned before, I decided to give Renpy 8 a try to see how it performs.

Cult of Ape

Oct 11, 2017
Cult of Ape

OK, quick note here...

You don't need to install the Ren'Py sdk to work with the Ren'Py files. All you need is Notepad2, Notepad++, or a decent editor. I use Notepad 2 'cuz I'm stubborn that way...

Whichever you are most comfortable with.

Your best bet for 'understanding' how scenes are put together are to look at intro.rpy, or glamourslam.rpy, or talashop.rpy

Those aren't perfect yet, but those are the ones that have people talking to each other.

But where you will actually be working is in the girl.rpy files, so look inside of the girls folder, pick a girl, and open her .rpy file. Don't use 'regular' Notepad for this though, it's not set up to work with .rpy files.

mercy.rpy has an animated scene, which is a bit more complicated than simple conversations. loislane.rpy has a more complex scene (easter egg for now), but that's mainly there to help others see what I did to get the animation sequence working, for later...

Anyways, you'll see a bunch of variables at the top or the girl's .rpy file, which define each girl. Again, when you are ready to see what stuff does, PM me and I'll help you set up a simple scene to get started.
ok, I see the files. I´ll have a look at asssembling a couple of pictures first. It´s tedious, but straightforward I suppose. I have Krita and Gimp installed, and notepad++ is my workshorse already :) I can´t guarantee quick progress, because my fiancee is almost 8 months pregnant and needs attention alot, so don´t count on me for anything right now, we´ll see how it goes ;P Downloading the asset packs now, big files...

zarqupang

Forum Fanatic
Nov 2, 2017
looks like it works good but do we really need to class them. i mean there all hot sexy ass lady's with very stong muscle's and magic ar powers lol.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Quick note for those of you that like to play around with the Ren'Py console.

in game, go talk to Roulette in her office. Get past the menu if there's a menu in the way...

Then, open Ren'Py console by typing shift+o (capital O).

Then, if Roulette isn't naked yet, type:
roulette_naked = True

If Roulette's hair is still in a bun, type...
roulette_hair_down = True

Then hit the esc key to see Roulette in her full glory!

If you want to change her pose, open the console again type one of the following:
show roulette dress1
show roulette dress2
show roulette dress3
show roulette dress4

# dress 4 shows her backside

If you want to see Roulette in a suit, type:
roulette_naked = False (if she's naked)
roulette_suit = True

the dress 1-4 poses will now show Roulette in a suit!

Lex doesn't have any fun switches (yet...), but you can change up his poses and expressions as well in the console.
show lex angry1
show lex happy1
show lex laugh1
Lex has 8 states, depending on his arm poses, so theres angry1-8, happy1-8, and laugh1-8 if you want to play around with Lex's reaction to Roulette's sexy body...

Anyways, this is not something that you'd normally do ingame, but just figured that a couple of you might enjoy amusing yourselves with this briefly...

RouletteAmusesLex.jpg

Last edited:

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
As I mentioned before, the 'next night' routine is mainly creating checkpoints for events to happen, and also to give the sense of time passing. That being said, it's always nice to find ways to speed up the process...

SU_ReImagined_NextNightScre.png

Credit to Krull for the computer screen wallpaper background!

Essentially, this is eliminating the 'dismiss to go to city map to go to places' in a few instances, while preserving the illusion of starting out in Lex's quarters, if that makes sense...

So you can access the Profile and Management screens directly, rather than having to go to the city map first is the main change here, plus you can choose to remain in Lexcorp (which is where you would be at this point in the day) or go to the City map (which is what you were clicking to do before this change when you clicked 'no don't take the day off'.

Nobody seemed to care about the 'easter egg' though. It's mainly just an example for fellow coders to look at r.e. re-creating animations from the Sprites, without having to define every single frame in an image declaration...

I'm working on the Legion Hideout at the moment. I'm re-thinking how those screens were approached in SU Unity, and plan to eliminate a step or two while making it more visually compelling, similar to what I did with profiles and scheduling.

Back to work!
:cool:

Cult of Ape

Oct 11, 2017
To ease up OhWee´s work, I´m helping out (at a slow pace:p) with some rooms. Honestly, it´s pretty straight forward, even though I haven´t gotten into anything advanced so far. I´ve transcribed Batgirls´s first couple of days of dialogue, and currently converting that to renpy script. One tip would be to setup your editor to use 4 spaces instead of tabs, that stumped me first with notepad++ :)

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
OK, question for the collective here... I had a thought this morning...

Soooo, I currently have SU Re-Imagined set up at 1920 x 1080 (16:9) as the default size.

A lot of the SU Unity backgrounds are sourced from 1024 x 512 (2:1) backgrounds, upscaled to 2160 x 1080.

Ren'Py rescales the window 'on the fly' in windowed mode, so other than download sizes the size of the background image isn't all that critical, although if you end up with 'excess pixels' in one dimension as the other dimension fills the window size, you'll end up with black bars either at the top or bottom, or along the sides.

The one downside of a 16:9 resolution in this instance is that it crops off the edges of the various backgrounds used if they are cropped to 16:9, but then you can't appreciate the work put into the entire background.

Adjusting the 'ingame' stuff that's made so far to take advantage of a 2:1 ratio would take me a little time, and flipping the Ren'Py 'defualt' size over to 2160 x 1080 is easy peasy (took me about 30 seconds), although I need to re-save a few backgrounds and such without the 'crop' and extend a few things, which also wouldn't take that long...

Here's a couple of quick comparisons of the backgrounds shown at 1920 vs 2160 width...

GigantaHire1920.jpg

GigantaHire2160.jpg

mercylexchat1920.jpg

mercylexchat2160.jpg

FYI, the 2:1 is actually a thing that you see used in some movies, it has a name (Univisium, Univision was already copyrighted by some network hence the slightly weirder name, I've never heard this term before btw.)

But the main thing here is that a number of the SU Unity backgrounds are set up at 2:1. The wider examples above do have a bit more of a 'movie' feel I suppose...

An extra 240 pixels for the management and profile screens would be nice, but if I were to make that change, yeah it's not easy to change back... well I suppose I could 'cut and paste' the current code and screen backgrounds from the current install in the future, but if I add anything new...

Note that if you have a 16:9 ratio on your monitor, and like to play your Ren'Py games at full screen (I play in Windowed mode pretty much all the time when I can so that I can multitask), you'll end up with thin black bars at the top and bottom if I set the 'default' width to 2160. Not a big deal, but it'll be a thing...

Back to my question though. What are y'all's thoughts r.e. using 16:9 vs 2:1?
:unsure:

Last edited:

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Working on ideas for the Villain(ess) Interface Screen ATM. Here's a mockup, also experimenting with 2160 on the width:

SU_ReImagined_VillainInterface.jpg

Normally, Tier II and III Viillains wouldn't show at this time (Legion Hideout is Level 1), but it's a mockup sooo...

Jimwalrus

Sep 15, 2021
Working on ideas for the Villain(ess) Interface Screen ATM. Here's a mockup, also experimenting with 2160 on the width:

View attachment 2340071

Normally, Tier II and III Viillains wouldn't show at this time (Legion Hideout is Level 1), but it's a mockup sooo...
Looks great. I also like the idea of a weekly retainer, more realistic than hire them once and they stay put until required.

I'd personally vote for 16:9 - I appreciate it's a crap aspect ratio for a PC, coming as it does from TVs where it makes much more sense, but I still prefer to use all of my monitor.

Reactions: axz2 and OhWee

herobrine69

Jun 7, 2020
This version of SU looks great! Hopefully some spicy scenes for my favorite girl Jinx will be added in soon. Otherwise pretty good start of a reimagined SU game.
iPB1AUU.gif

Reactions: OhWee

Cult of Ape

Oct 11, 2017
So, what I would like to tackle as a mod, once the basic functionality (mainly management bit) is done, is make the leash scenes a little more exciting. To me, they´re a bit pointless in the current state... second, I would like a surveillance system at Lexcorp, and maybe Lex expanding into the "cosplay" webcam business :)

Anyone else have any good ideas?

Reactions: betazu and OhWee
5.00 star(s) 1 Vote