VN Unity Onhold PMC: Private Military Cuties [v0.1 Teaser] [Oper4tor]

3.50 star(s) 2 Votes

Should I port it to Ren'Py or still develop it in Unity?

• Porting it to Ren'Py is a good idea, game doesn't have enough features to justify Unity

Votes: 334 62.2%
  • No, don't port it, master your skills in c# and create features yourself.

Votes: 115 21.4%
  • IDGAF

Votes: 88 16.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rosen King

Engaged Member
May 29, 2019
For now there are few moments of "soft" mind control in story, no full mind control yet.
But what is it? And how prominent of a role in the story does it play? I don't know what you consider "soft" or "hard" mind control, so this doesn't really give me a sense of what to expect.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Oper4tor

Oper4tor

Average FN FAL Enjoyer
Game Developer
Mar 13, 2022
But what is it? And how prominent of a role in the story does it play? I don't know what you consider "soft" or "hard" mind control, so this doesn't really give me a sense of what to expect.
I would say, play and find out but that would be a dick move.
Right now mind control is more of a inserting a suggestion or removing limiters like worrying about incest, some of it is gated behind MCs skills.
Full mind control is more of a full obedience mode and may be present at a later build

hidden_agenda

Dec 8, 2018
Thanks for the helpful tips!
I'm not a fan of rollback, but I will implement rewinding text.
Save and load are 90% complete, next build should have them.
Hiding textbox is working, press the middle mouse button to hide.
Not much for gallery right now but for sure it will be available later on.
Depending on your familiarity with C#, you could make an engine that has exactly what you need for the moment and expand as you delve deeper into the game and require more features. I'm not to familiar with much, programming wise, but it sounds better than working with an engine that may limit exposure to possible persons whose computers may not be able to handle Unity.

As for the mention of rollback, it is quite helpful, at least in RenPy when errors occur.
Whether you delve into learning python or learn more about C# and the Unity engine or create your own is obviously your choice.
I'll try the game later tonight to see how I like it, but either way, good luck on your game and I wish you great success Oper4tor.

• Red Heart

Oper4tor

Average FN FAL Enjoyer
Game Developer
Mar 13, 2022
Depending on your familiarity with C#, you could make an engine that has exactly what you need for the moment and expand as you delve deeper into the game and require more features. I'm not to familiar with much, programming wise, but it sounds better than working with an engine that may limit exposure to possible persons whose computers may not be able to handle Unity.

As for the mention of rollback, it is quite helpful, at least in RenPy when errors occur.
Whether you delve into learning python or learn more about C# and the Unity engine or create your own is obviously your choice.
I'll try the game later tonight to see how I like it, but either way, good luck on your game and I wish you great success Oper4tor.
For now I don't have time or skill to create my own engine but I will work either on optimizing the shit out of unity or changing to renpy.
Also I try to do extensive testing for any bugs so no rollback needed for that reason

Thanks for checking out my game and I hope you will like it!

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
1) Why Unity? Unity is disgusting, especially for a VN's. There's nothing in the VN's that Renpy can't do.
Unity is not disgusting at all, it is a great game engine and very well documented, which makes it very accessible... Which is a double edged sword. You can screw up with Unity very hard if you have no idea of what you are doing, hence why everyone believes Unity is heavy on requirements, when it's actually not (If you know what you are doing).

Now, does Unity make sense for a VN? Actually, yes.
Ren'Py is a PITA to make GUI on, whereas in Unity you can make some pretty screen with ease as it features a scene editor in which you can drag and drop things as you please.
Unity can also compress the assets without touching the source, which makes the whole compression workflow much less time consuming if you were to do the same thing on Ren'Py manually.

I could go on and on with such reasons, but I'll save you up the time as I would still pick Ren'Py regardless of all those reasons if I were to make a VN, since I've actually used both.
The final and true reason for someone to pick Unity over Ren'Py for a Visual Novel (as I did), is the requirement of Real Time 3D.
My Visual Novel game features all the things you'd expect from a Ren'Py game and therefore could easily exist in it, except for the Dungeon Crawling part which requires Real Time 3D.

It's also better to switch to Renpy. Unity as an engine is very good, but definitely not for a VN's. I haven't seen a single VN's on Unity that makes sense with it.
My game might not be your cup of tea as it is very niche, but technically, it shows a good example of why Unity makes sense for it.
Almost.
If you were particularly skilled with Ren'Py, you could still make a Dungeon Crawler with "fake 3D", much like old ones, unfortunately I lack such skills so Unity was an easier choice for me, plus Real Time 3D allows for a complete and full rotation and seamless movement.

1. I chose Unity because I had some experience in it and basic knowledge of how c# works, to make it/port it to renpy I would have to learn a new programming and a new language but I'm thinking about it.
Then, as an Unity User myself, I heavily suggest you to reconsider.
Ren'Py is stupid easy to learn, especially if your game is a pure VN... Since Ren'Py is a Visual Novel Engine.
If you are not making use of Unity, just give Ren'Py a shot and port your game over there... Your userbase will be much happier.

I hate unity. Its so random on my pc and some times load without problem and some times crash again and again.
Hate the developers that misuse the engine, and your lack of money to buy a decent computer (in case you are trying to run such games with a potato).

changing to renpy.
+1.

-edit-
Thought I'd also mention a couple of more reasons on why you should just learn Ren'Py:
1- If you built the MAC version with Windows, and hope that it will work just fine, think again. It will not on machines such as Big Sur without taking extra steps for the app permission.

2- If you think the Canvas handles everything for you as I did back when I switched from Ren'Py to Unity, think again.
Canvas made it much easier to support different aspect ratios, but you still need to code your own solution if you don't want things to be hidden in different resolutions... If you do not have that in your game right now, that'll be a +1 headache in the future.

3- Unity bugs on some platforms: I found it the hard way (someone reported it) that the scrollbar's sensitivity on Linux is screwed up, at least in the most stable version of 2019. I had to normalize the value on linux specifically to fix the issue.
If you have used Unity for some time, I am sure you might have experienced similar issues in the past, or even bugs that happen specifically in the build but not from the editor.

So once again, save yourself all those headaches, watch a couple of tutorials and port your game over to Ren'Py =).
It's easy, if you have learnt to use Unity, you will learn Ren'Py in a couple of days, and be comfortable with it in 6 months maximum.

Last edited:
  • Red Heart

Dementor_ene

Dec 6, 2020
Unity is not disgusting at all, it is a great game engine and very well documented, which makes it very accessible... Which is a double edged sword. You can screw up with Unity very hard if you have no idea of what you are doing, hence why everyone believes Unity is heavy on requirements, when it's actually not (If you know what you are doing).

Now, does Unity make sense for a VN? Actually, yes.
Ren'Py is a PITA to make GUI on, whereas in Unity you can make some pretty screen with ease as it features a scene editor in which you can drag and drop things as you please.
Unity can also compress the assets without touching the source, which makes the whole compression workflow much less time consuming if you were to do the same thing on Ren'Py manually.

I could go on and on with such reasons, but I'll save you up the time as I would still pick Ren'Py regardless of all those reasons if I were to make a VN, since I've actually used both.
The final and true reason for someone to pick Unity over Ren'Py for a Visual Novel (as I did), is the requirement of Real Time 3D.
My Visual Novel game features all the things you'd expect from a Ren'Py game and therefore could easily exist in it, except for the Dungeon Crawling part which requires Real Time 3D.

My game might not be your cup of tea as it is very niche, but technically, it shows a good example of why Unity makes sense for it.
Almost.
If you were particularly skilled with Ren'Py, you could still make a Dungeon Crawler with "fake 3D", much like old ones, unfortunately I lack such skills so Unity was an easier choice for me, plus Real Time 3D allows for a complete and full rotation and seamless movement.

Then, as an Unity User myself, I heavily suggest you to reconsider.
Ren'Py is stupid easy to learn, especially if your game is a pure VN... Since Ren'Py is a Visual Novel Engine.
If you are not making use of Unity, just give Ren'Py a shot and port your game over there... Your userbase will be much happier.

Hate the developers that misuse the engine, and your lack of money to buy a decent computer (in case you are trying to run such games with a potato).

+1.

-edit-
Thought I'd also mention a couple of more reasons on why you should just learn Ren'Py:
1- If you built the MAC version with Windows, and hope that it will work just fine, think again. It will not on machines such as Big Sur without taking extra steps for the app permission.

2- If you think the Canvas handles everything for you as I did back when I switched from Ren'Py to Unity, think again.
Canvas made it much easier to support different aspect ratios, but you still need to code your own solution if you don't want things to be hidden in different resolutions... If you do not have that in your game right now, that'll be a +1 headache in the future.

3- Unity bugs on some platforms: I found it the hard way (someone reported it) that the scrollbar's sensitivity on Linux is screwed up, at least in the most stable version of 2019. I had to normalize the value on linux specifically to fix the issue.
If you have used Unity for some time, I am sure you might have experienced similar issues in the past, or even bugs that happen specifically in the build but not from the editor.

So once again, save yourself all those headaches, watch a couple of tutorials and port your game over to Ren'Py =).
It's easy, if you have learnt to use Unity, you will learn Ren'Py in a couple of days, and be comfortable with it in 6 months maximum.
I'm not disputing that Unity is a good engine, but not for VN's.
Unity is certainly suitable for 3D, or with Live2D graphics, interactive animation, on Renpy it's all much more complicated and time consuming. However, for the usual static VN's with animation packed in a video clip, it is redundant =)

• Red Heart

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
I'm not disputing that Unity is a good engine, but not for VN's.
It is, though.
My game made in Unity has everything Ren'Py does, yet it cannot be fully replicated on Ren'Py because it lacks Real Time 3D capabilities.

In fact, Unity can be good at anything since it is a multi purpose engine, it's simply not worth it for a simple VN.

Oper4tor

Average FN FAL Enjoyer
Game Developer
Mar 13, 2022
...because it lacks Real Time 3D capabilities.
Yeah...
To be completely honest this game is only a part of a project I intended to make, where 3D stuff would be equally important as VN aspect but again, no time, no skill.

I know python's allegedly pretty easy to understand but first I need to decide if im sure that there won't be need for real time 3d stuff.

Thank you for your input :)

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Yeah...
To be completely honest this game is only a part of a project I intended to make, where 3D stuff would be equally important as VN aspect but again, no time, no skill.

I know python's allegedly pretty easy to understand but first I need to decide if im sure that there won't be need for real time 3d stuff.

Thank you for your input :)
Honestly, there's no python required, either.

Most of the game's code is like this:

Speaker "text"
Speaker2 "More text..."

And that's pretty much it.
For those few things where you'd need some python knowledge, there are tons of code examples and tutorials, so even with a basic understanding of C#, you'll understand what is going on.

• Red Heart

Marioticom

Aug 25, 2017
So I read the Plot of the game and I must say that it attracted my curiosity, I will wait for at least 2/3 Updates before trying it seriously to get an idea of how the game is.
But having said that I wanted to ask how often is an update released? so come here and keep an eye on him

• Red Heart

Oper4tor

Average FN FAL Enjoyer
Game Developer
Mar 13, 2022
So I read the Plot of the game and I must say that it attracted my curiosity, I will wait for at least 2/3 Updates before trying it seriously to get an idea of how the game is.
But having said that I wanted to ask how often is an update released? so come here and keep an eye on him
Hi!
Thanks for checking out my game!
Unfortunately right now I can only work on the game in my spare time so no regular updates yet.
I will try to release at least one update every month, sometimes it may be two week, sometimes more than a month, depending on the workload at my job and how complex the update will be.
I'm sure you won't be disappointed!
Cheers!

Reactions: Marioticom

Rosen King

Engaged Member
May 29, 2019
So one major issue I've had after trying the game is the font. Not only is the "military stencil" font currently used distracting for reading "normal" text (having spaces in the middle of the letters throws me off), but it's also bothersome when the size of the font changes depending on how much text is there. And it's even harder to read when it's showing the choices on screen. I would recommend a more normal font for the standard text (along with a consistent size), while keeping the "military stencil" style for the character names above the text box and stuff like that. And maybe certain other UI elements, depending on what kind of UI you end up adding. It's the kind of font that works for words that are used like pictures, but not words that you're supposed to read, if you understand what I'm saying.

• Red Heart

Oper4tor

Average FN FAL Enjoyer
Game Developer
Mar 13, 2022
So one major issue I've had after trying the game is the font. Not only is the "military stencil" font currently used distracting for reading "normal" text (having spaces in the middle of the letters throws me off), but it's also bothersome when the size of the font changes depending on how much text is there. And it's even harder to read when it's showing the choices on screen. I would recommend a more normal font for the standard text (along with a consistent size), while keeping the "military stencil" style for the character names above the text box and stuff like that. And maybe certain other UI elements, depending on what kind of UI you end up adding. It's the kind of font that works for words that are used like pictures, but not words that you're supposed to read, if you understand what I'm saying.
Thanks for checking out my game and giving feedback!
I'm still working on the UI right now, nothing is set in stone, I will look for a more readable font wit a military feel to it, or change it to something else entirely.
Changing font size is a temporary solution, it should be addressed in next build.
Cheers!

Xanthor72

Jul 31, 2017
other than echoing what others have said, my advice (if it's something that can be done through Unity, most of my experience is playing Ren'py games) would be add a slider to adjust the speed that dialogue appears. It can go a surprisingly long way with making the game feel less like a series of pictures or a slideshow with text on the bottom. for example I generally tend to set speed at around the halfway mark on a slider, it shows up faster than I can read but not instantly, so there's SOMETHING moving.
EDIT: also refreshing to see a game that isn't absolutely full of grammatical errors, only small thing I noticed was in character creation "strength" is spelled incorrectly, but just looks like a case of typing too fast and not checking.

• Red Heart

Oper4tor

Average FN FAL Enjoyer
Game Developer
Mar 13, 2022
other than echoing what others have said, my advice (if it's something that can be done through Unity, most of my experience is playing Ren'py games) would be add a slider to adjust the speed that dialogue appears. It can go a surprisingly long way with making the game feel less like a series of pictures or a slideshow with text on the bottom. for example I generally tend to set speed at around the halfway mark on a slider, it shows up faster than I can read but not instantly, so there's SOMETHING moving.
EDIT: also refreshing to see a game that isn't absolutely full of grammatical errors, only small thing I noticed was in character creation "strength" is spelled incorrectly, but just looks like a case of typing too fast and not checking.
Thank you for the idea, I will look into it!
And yes, there was a mistake, it is corrected now, unfortunately my IDE doesn't show grammatical errors or misspellings.
It's really important for us to have a clear and readable text with no errors, after all it is a Visual Novel.

Last edited:

Tatsuya25

Feb 26, 2022
yEs is better to try for you first games renpy and do 1 to 4 routes if you wish or can cope with the work ,

WHAT most people want is

GOOD plot , no so high complex but at least decent ,

huge amount iof content with the FC s , the moxt y can

do something , tangible , first , one or 2 games , then Unity

should be the best decition , so you no get frustate later with the unity,
learn by the side no on a game you want to realease. having the option to do in rempy

best wishes , and good look

i came croos this by the loli so give us some lolis , and preg sex on the future if can <3

• Red Heart
3.50 star(s) 2 Votes