• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Tutorial Others Playing On Linux - Tutorials, Tools And Help

5.00 star(s) 3 Votes

Capacitor

Dec 8, 2017
Why would you change all letters to lower-case in the first place?
Capitalization is always a mess with games produced on Windows, particularly HTML games (maybe also Ren'Py games, when images are not compiled into a single file). As scrumbles says, there can be a lot of different possibilities with the capitalization, but usually laziness dictates that all paths are lower-case.
I may have a good regex to replace all paths with lower-case paths into an HTML file, but I'd have to test it.
Code:
\bsrc="([^"]+)"
src="\L\1"
I could integrate this and thisthrowawaygohard's command into a script... As long as the images are not inserted via JavaScript, it could work.

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
I think I know what you mean: this happens to me with Ren'py games, when I want to switch to fullscreen mode.
Don't use the button in the top right corner. Click F instead. Or right-click on the game window and change the display preferences.

deathmog91

Aug 12, 2017
I think I know what you mean: this happens to me with Ren'py games, when I want to switch to fullscreen mode.
Don't use the button in the top right corner. Click F instead. Or right-click on the game window and change the display preferences.
i completely for got to say it was renpy

deathmog91

Aug 12, 2017
so i found out what the problem was it was wine trying to resige the image every frame so if this happens to you run renpy in fullscreen or dont run the window max out

Capacitor

Dec 8, 2017
You guys use Wine to play Ren'Py games o_O Why???? Every Ren'Py game has automatically a native Linux version. No Wine needed! You only use Wine for Unity games! ;)
Exactly, it's the [game_name].sh file. Just double-click it, and the game will launch. If you instead open a notepad, give that file executable permissions, and if you don't find a .sh file, you can port the game easily. For more details just look into the Ren'Py section of the OP, there should be everything you need and much more.

I have to say I used to use Wine for Ren'Py too in the beginning. It's not been long since the developers started compiling games for Linux, and I didn't know it was even possible to have the game run natively.

Reactions: cold_arctus

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
You guys use Wine to play Ren'Py games o_O Why????
Lazyness. Not all the VNs are shipped with the Linux libraries: I don't want to download the exact SDK and rebuild the game every time. The .exe is always there, instead. As for the performances, they are VNs, natively or not there is little to no difference.

Also, when I report bugs, I don't want to hear retarded shit like "Ah, but you are using Linux! Look, the code is OK, try to run the game on Windows".

Capacitor

Dec 8, 2017
Lazyness. Not all the VNs are shipped with the Linux libraries: I don't want to download the exact SDK and rebuild the game every time. The .exe is always there, instead. As for the performances, they are VNs, natively or not there is little to no difference.

Also, when I report bugs, I don't want to hear retarded shit like "Ah, but you are using Linux! Look, the code is OK, try to run the game on Windows".
Unless you are converting a really old game, there shouldn't be any difference if you just use the latest version of Ren'Py instead of looking for the one used by the author. The only reason to look for a specific old version is because a game uses a specific feature of bug that was removed later, I think.

Reactions: cold_arctus

Pigfarmer

May 25, 2019
Is there a way to disable logging on a UE4 based game? I'm trying to run Sorceress Tale via Proton / Wine, but the game keeps doing logging calls constantly, resulting in very annoying stutter. I already tried redirecting stdout and strerr with the &>/dev/null operator.

EDIT: Okay I got it figured out. You have to add the following lines to the end of the Engine.ini file. This will result in the game only logging game crash related errors. Stutter begone! :p

[Core.Log]
Global=fatal

Last edited:
Reactions: Capacitor

Venomosity

Aug 2, 2018
I need help when I run a Unity game, it plays, but when it comes to animation it says "AVPRO". How do I fix this?

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
I need help when I run a Unity game, it plays, but when it comes to animation it says "AVPRO". How do I fix this?
More information are needed...
Which Game do you try to play?
Which Wine version do you use?
Which Winetricks version do you have?

Venomosity

Aug 2, 2018
More information are needed...
Which Game do you try to play?
Which Wine version do you use?
Which Winetricks version do you have?
Hello! I didn't use wine for this, because it has a Linux version. The game is called "The Spellbook".

5.00 star(s) 3 Votes