Tutorial Others Playing On Linux - Tutorials, Tools And Help

5.00 star(s) 3 Votes

kaye1992

Dec 30, 2017
i'm trying to run Milfy City through the terminal but every time i try to start it, it says acces denied. Does anyone know what causses this and how to slove it?

Mitchwtn

Aug 24, 2018
I may as well ask here too. Trying to get glamour to work using linux, Lutris launches it just fine, I get thru a few clicks and it just stops responding. Any thoughts on what I can do? Besides Win on VB lol

Xorgroth

Modder
Oct 12, 2017
i'm trying to run Milfy City through the terminal but every time i try to start it, it says acces denied. Does anyone know what causses this and how to slove it?
Not set to an executable file, or if it's on an external drive that has a noexec option on it.
Oh that was back in Feb, whoops.

Capacitor

Dec 8, 2017
I may as well ask here too. Trying to get glamour to work using linux, Lutris launches it just fine, I get thru a few clicks and it just stops responding. Any thoughts on what I can do? Besides Win on VB lol
Try to run it through the terminal and copy the output here. Maybe there is some hint on what is missing.
Alternatively, if you have any means to contact the developer, ask him if he could compile the game for Linux too.

Reactions: Mitchwtn

Mitchwtn

Aug 24, 2018
Try to run it through the terminal and copy the output here. Maybe there is some hint on what is missing.
Alternatively, if you have any means to contact the developer, ask him if he could compile the game for Linux too.
Okay, here is a log and a screenshot if I do this right showing what I mean, it doesn't freeze, but after a few clicks nothing becomes functional, it's not frozen I just can't advance, hopefully that makes sense.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Okay, here is a log and a screenshot if I do this right showing what I mean, it doesn't freeze, but after a few clicks nothing becomes functional, it's not frozen I just can't advance, hopefully that makes sense.

You are using an old version of wine-staging. The latest one is 4.11 now.

Did you deactivate window decoration in winecfg? If not, do it,
because this cause window freezing. Try also to use a "virtual desktop" in your preferred screen size like 1920x1080 or 1360x768 as windowed-mode (all settings are done in winecfg)

For some games you need to install dll's via winetricks as well (quartz, devnum, codecs, etc) to make the game fully operative.

Mitchwtn

Aug 24, 2018
Normally it won't run straight using wine because of the fake connection it's making, so it just gets stuck loading but it works using Lutris, that is where the above log, I just decided to try using wine straight from the terminal because once in a while it actually does load and it may have provided more useful information, I'm going to search the web to see if I can find something but for now here's the log, when it becomes "unresponsive" that final line just endlessly repeats itself, so I would assume that's the source of the problem.

Capacitor

Dec 8, 2017
I see a lot of messages from wined3d and similar. That probably means something is wrong with DirectX and/or 3D acceleration.
Do you have DirectX 11 installed on Wine? I would normally also consider a problem with the GPU driver, but since you can already launch the game through Lutris, the GPU is probably OK.

Mitchwtn

Aug 24, 2018
I see a lot of messages from wined3d and similar. That probably means something is wrong with DirectX and/or 3D acceleration.
Do you have DirectX 11 installed on Wine? I would normally also consider a problem with the GPU driver, but since you can already launch the game through Lutris, the GPU is probably OK.
Well, dxvk and I have installed it manually in wine, plus it coming with Lutris. So I don't know, unless there's something else I should be installing

Capacitor

Dec 8, 2017
Well, dxvk and I have installed it manually in wine, plus it coming with Lutris. So I don't know, unless there's something else I should be installing
I can't find a "dxvk" in Winetricks. Can you check if you have "d3dx9", "d3dx10" or anything similar to these names from Winetricks?

dspeed

Oct 15, 2016
Those are listed there,
this is dxvk
Try forcing. Run the game in Terminal with -force-glcore passed to it. If you're extremely lucky then you can try -force-d3d9 but it probably won't work

Mitchwtn

Aug 24, 2018
Try forcing. Run the game in Terminal with -force-glcore passed to it. If you're extremely lucky then you can try -force-d3d9 but it probably won't work
Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately neither of those changed the result, I haven't actually read every line of the output myself but I'm just going to post it while I read it myself. I'm sure there's a way because it just runs so silky smooth until it stops, it's just a question of figuring out how which may be above my head

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately neither of those changed the result, I haven't actually read every line of the output myself but I'm just going to post it while I read it myself. I'm sure there's a way because it just runs so silky smooth until it stops, it's just a question of figuring out how which may be above my head

Tried Glamour myself and can verfiy that it will freeze suddenly after a few minutes into the game. Which means, that Glamour use some kind of "feature" which isn't supported by Wine yet.

Mitchwtn

Aug 24, 2018
Tried Glamour myself and can verfiy that it will freeze suddenly after a few minutes into the game. Which means, that Glamour use some kind of "feature" which isn't supported by Wine yet.
Disappointing, but good to know I guess, I can give up trying to figure it out lol. I wonder what it is. It's too slow for me on VBox. Too bad linux support never came even though it was said to be a long time again. Thanks for the input.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Disappointing, but good to know I guess, I can give up trying to figure it out lol. I wonder what it is. It's too slow for me on VBox. Too bad linux support never came even though it was said to be a long time again. Thanks for the input.
It's pretty easy to port a game made in Unity to Linux since both use Mono. This is not the problem. The problems starts with the code and features (libraries) which are not supported on Linux natively or shipped by Unity.

5.00 star(s) 3 Votes