Tutorial Others Playing On Linux - Tutorials, Tools And Help

5.00 star(s) 3 Votes

johnelros

Apr 10, 2018
Can you pls post your save. I created a linux version and was able to launch a new game without a problem.

EDIT: Downloaded a save from the thread and it works fine without a error message etc.
Well, it looks like something in my renpy-sdk settings is messed up. I'll start to figure it out when I get home.

Reactions: cold_arctus

Mitchwtn

Aug 24, 2018
Odd, first attempt with a renpy game, usually there's just already a linux version, so I'm doing something wrong trying to make a linux version of babysitters, since you guys are talking about it, i'll ask ....followed the instructions on the OP....is there a special step i need to do for this game? I didn't even rename anything to keep things simple...

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Odd, first attempt with a renpy game, usually there's just already a linux version, so I'm doing something wrong trying to make a linux version of babysitters, since you guys are talking about it, i'll ask ....followed the instructions on the OP....is there a special step i need to do for this game? I didn't even rename anything to keep things simple...
I used this guide to build my Linux version of babysitter (are there two games with the same name? :unsure:). Instead of Ren'Py SDK 7.2.1 I used 7.2.2 the same version babysitter was made with.

This method works for most Ren'Py games with a missing or non-working Mac or Linux port. You can download a PC/Win version and play through the Ren'Py launcher.
  1. Download and install/unzip the .
    • This game was built with version , so I recommend downloading that versison.
  2. Create a Projects folder where you want your games to be saved.
  3. Launch the Ren'Py Launcher.
  4. Click Preferences in the bottom right corner.
  5. Set Projects Directory to your newly created folder, then click Return.
  6. Download and extract the game in your newly created folder.
    • Delete the lib, renpy and .app folders + the .exe, .py and .sh files to save some space.
    • This game has been repacked once, so you need to move the DarkNeighbourhood-1.0-pc folder to your Projects folder, then delete the empty DN-1.0-Gamer folder
  7. In the Ren'Py Launcher, click refresh (to the right of PROJECTS:)
  8. Left click the game under PROJECTS:
  9. Click Launch Project and enjoy the game.

Reactions: Mitchwtn

johnelros

Apr 10, 2018
Well, it looks like something in my renpy-sdk settings is messed up. I'll start to figure it out when I get home.
OK, the problem was outdated renpy-sdk pkgbuild. Still can't understand why in this case the game worked being launched from SDK:unsure:.

Last edited:

tjormas

Aug 26, 2016
Hey,
so i'm playing the Linux Version of "The Spellbook" and having problems playing the videos files.

Instead of videos i get this:

I recently made the move to linux(gaming) and haven't found a solution yet :(

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Hey,
so i'm playing the Linux Version of "The Spellbook" and having problems playing the videos files.

Instead of videos i get this:

I recently made the move to linux(gaming) and haven't found a solution yet :(
Make sure you have winetricks. Via winetricks install:
- ffdshow or install mega codec pack
- devenum
- quartz

In winecfg library select devenum + quartz and mark as native. Search for winegstreamer and deactivate it.

This should to it.

teabaiseach

Nov 12, 2017
Not sure if its been mentioned but if you are looking for a native QSP player you can compile this

Reactions: Capacitor

Capacitor

Dec 8, 2017
Yup it works fine its been made with Girl Life in mind so it supports video as well
Good, then I'll add the link in the OP. And mention you found it, of course. Thanks a lot!

Edit: I can't find instructions on how to compile it. What commands did you use?

Last edited:

teabaiseach

Nov 12, 2017
Good, then I'll add the link in the OP. And mention you found it, of course. Thanks a lot!

Edit: I can't find instructions on how to compile it. What commands did you use?
The PKGBUILD file is a script that can be used to make a package for Arch if you check it you can see what is needed and convert the process for whatever distro you are using. There is project file there as well I assume you can use Qt Creator to use that but have never tried it

thisthrowawaygohard

Jun 8, 2017
thank you so much for your tips in linux. very, very helpful and concise information.

if anyone else is faced with the task of changing all of the file names to lower case letters save yourself a lot of time and open the parent directory in terminal and input this:

find -depth -exec rename 's/(.*)\/([^\/]*)/$1\/\L$2/' {} \;

sorry if someone else has posted something similar but if they did i missed it.

Capacitor

Dec 8, 2017
thank you so much for your tips in linux. very, very helpful and concise information.

if anyone else is faced with the task of changing all of the file names to lower case letters save yourself a lot of time and open the parent directory in terminal and input this:

find -depth -exec rename 's/(.*)\/([^\/]*)/$1\/\L$2/' {} \;

sorry if someone else has posted something similar but if they did i missed it.
Nobody posted anything similar, thanks a lot!
Is there a way to make the script create a copy with lower-case name instead of renaming the files?

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
i would just copy folders before i started and keep a backup. maybe i am misunderstanding what youre asking to do.
he asks for a script file which would do it automatically.

My question now is: Why would you change all letters to lower-case in the first place? :unsure:

Last edited:

thisthrowawaygohard

Jun 8, 2017
in his post he explains that html on windows and linux is almost exactly the same except that in linux it is case sensitive when it comes to file paths. if someone uses uppercase letters naming their file paths, like "C:," it will make no difference in windows while it will error in linux. going through and changing a bunch of these one at a time sucks.

Reactions: cold_arctus

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
Implying that, in the game code, all filenames and paths are lowercase.
Unfortunately this is not true for many games. For instance Roundscape Adorevia and Farmer's Dreams are quite messed up: when they try to load an image, you don't know in advance if its filename must be lowercase, UPPERCASE or even CamelCase. Making all the filenames lowercase, without editing the code, would make the game crash.

To run a game natively, there are other solutions:
- ciopfs (for one or more directories, no matter what the underlying file-system is)
- lowntfs-3g drivers (for a whole NFTS partition, mounted as case insensitive)
- a flash drive (being most likely formatted as FAT32, Linux mounts it as case insensitive)
If the game is originally for Windows, Wine solves the naming problem for you.

5.00 star(s) 3 Votes