VN Ren'Py Overfoxed (or Not Another Overwatch Parody): Development Thread

Overfoxed

Dec 23, 2021
In the interest of trying to future-proof the game as much as possible, I made the decision to give every character in the game the same set of core variables to make life easier when I want to add additional character content later down the line. Even if these variables never get used (and many won't) it's easier to have them at the start than find myself wanting to add them later in a way that breaks savegame compatibility.

This is all well and good, until you see one line of code that makes you question Life, the Universe and Everything:

whatislife.JPG

Overfoxed

Dec 23, 2021
any idea when the 1st update will be released ?
I don't want to tie myself down too much with a firm ETA before the first chapter, but I'm hoping it will be no more than a few weeks.

A general breakdown of progress is:

- Almost all the "basic" art assets are 100% complete. These are things like character sprites, variants for facial expressions, etc.
- The "complex" art assets are about 50% complete. These are the sex scenes, and some of the more complicated story cutscenes.
- The first draft for the writing is 100% complete, in the sense that I've written the beginning, middle and end of the chapter. However re-writing is a constant process for me (see next point).
- Final coding and editing. In progress. This is where I take the story/dialogue I've written and translate it into Renpy language. I do a lot of tweaking as I go at this stage, and sometimes even have to go back and make new art assets (like a new facial expression, for example) as a result of changes I make here.
- Final audio pass. 0% complete. I don't start this until the final coding and editing is done. Although I add music and some audio FX to the game during the coding/editing stage, the final audio pass is for me to add all the small, seemingly innocuous audio cues that help bring the game to life a little more. This should be a relatively quick stage though (the main timesink is finding the right sounds effects online).
- Final playtest. 0% complete. The very last stage of development, where I blindly try to run through the game as many times as possible, picking different paths/routes/combos and just generally trying to break the game and identify bugs. Once this stage is done, it's ready to publish!

Overfoxed

Dec 23, 2021
Another random straw poll - how many hours of content do people generally expect for a first chapter release of a brand new game?

Bearing in mind this is a game that doesn't have any sandbox or grinding to artificially pad the playtime. That's a deliberate design choice because, let's be real, that's not the kind of grinding most people want to do in their lewd games.

Just trying to shape my expectations and those of the potential audience.

Aurelius

Feb 4, 2017
Another random straw poll - how many hours of content do people generally expect for a first chapter release of a brand new game?

Bearing in mind this is a game that doesn't have any sandbox or grinding to artificially pad the playtime. That's a deliberate design choice because, let's be real, that's not the kind of grinding most people want to do in their lewd games.

Just trying to shape my expectations and those of the potential audience.
If we're talking a full chapter release instead of a prologue or demo, then I'd say between 1 - 3 hours is what I usually see here; leaning more towards about 1.5 hours, also that's with me taking my time to read everything through carefully instead of speed reading or skipping anything. Then again I'm still a pretty fast reader so my times may be a little skewed. Without grinding or a sandbox though even 1 hour can go a long way depending on the amount of exposition that is given.

Overfoxed

Dec 23, 2021
If we're talking a full chapter release instead of a prologue or demo, then I'd say between 1 - 3 hours is what I usually see here; leaning more towards about 1.5 hours, also that's with me taking my time to read everything through carefully instead of speed reading or skipping anything. Then again I'm still a pretty fast reader so my times may be a little skewed. Without grinding or a sandbox though even 1 hour can go a long way depending on the amount of exposition that is given.
Interesting, thanks for your thoughts. And to clarify, yes the first release will be a full "Chapter One" not a prologue or a demo. I want to start strong.

Curious that you settled on around 1.5 hours - that's where my estimates are at the moment for the content I have written for chapter 1; between 1.5 and 2 hours, depending on which choices players make (some scenes can go for substantially longer/shorter if certain choices are made). So I'm glad to hear that we're in the same ballpark there.

I'm not finished with the chapter yet though, so it may expand beyond that, but I would say 1.5 to 2 hours is where I'm at for now if I stay on track with the current outline.

MrDefault

Dec 19, 2017
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Joke, but it would be very welcome addition. Also please no complex minigames. If you really want those I would advice something between Dandyboy adventure (God! Please end my suffering! I just wanted to see some nice tits) and Mist (Unwanted one button spam).

Last edited:

Overfoxed

Dec 23, 2021
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Joke, but it would be very welcome addition. Also please no complex minigames. If you really want those I would advice something between Dandyboy adventure (God! Please end my suffering! I just wanted to see some nice tits) and Mist (Unwanted one button spam).
Not ruling out the pregnancy tag entirely, but there's no content for it in the initial roadmap (but that kind of makes sense anyway - IMO that tag makes most sense later in the narrative ).

As for minigames, again no plans for anything overly-complex like that in the initial releases. I'm open to throwing in less orthodox VN gameplay elements further down the road, but even then "simpler is better" in my book.

Overfoxed

Dec 23, 2021
Hey all, if there's anyone who has this thread on watch who hasn't checked out another Overwatch parody game, Academy34, please go check it out and show the developers some love: https://f95zone.to/threads/academy34-v0-11-1-6-young-naughty.8295/

The developers, Young_Naughty are based in Ukraine and I think we're all familiar with the tragic events currently taking place over there. At last report, the developers are currently fleeing the country so if you have any spare money you could throw at their Patreon this month, it could really make a difference.

Remember guys, the world could always use more heroes.

Overfoxed

Dec 23, 2021
Male characters in overwatch have such a potential in this game. So if you will finish the game, adding gay routes would be awsome.
I have plans to include gay/bi content for at least three characters over the course of the game's life; Lucio, Soldier: 76 and an OC.

That is just the bare minimum though. Like with the female characters, I will also plan development for extra gay/bi routes/content/characters further down the line, but the specifics will be determined by things like Patreon polls, etc. That's for the future though.