• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Anteron

Jun 17, 2023
Fahrenheit makes more sense than Celsius though. When do you ever take the temperature of water to see if it's boiling or freezing? You fucking LOOK. If it's solid, it's freezing if it's bubbling and steaming it's boiling. Not to mention it changes based on elevation. Fahrenheit - o is about as cold as it normally gets in a temperate area, 100 about as hot. Water is an amazingly bizarre thing to base a system of temperature on.

HentaiKami

Engaged Member
Jan 27, 2019
Fahrenheit makes more sense than Celsius though. When do you ever take the temperature of water to see if it's boiling or freezing? You fucking LOOK. If it's solid, it's freezing if it's bubbling and steaming it's boiling. Not to mention it changes based on elevation. Fahrenheit - o is about as cold as it normally gets in a temperate area, 100 about as hot. Water is an amazingly bizarre thing to base a system of temperature on.
And if you don't like Celsius, then the second best alternative would be Kelvin. Fahrenheit is just really bad for scientific use and you don't want to have different units of measurement for scientific and everyday use for temperatures. Plus Celsius units don't use boiling and freezing point of water anymore as definition for the scale, it's based on more scientific definitions now days.

FatGiant

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2022
What it really is, is a Standard. Not a regional idiosyncrasy. People from all over the world can talk to each other and say it's 25º outside today, it's a nice day. Instead of saying 75º, and having to specify it is in weird units.

But, OK, Boomers.

laughing.gif

Peace :D

FatGiant

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2022
According to Jonathan Swift, this is how wars between nations start... and flame wars on F95. :ROFLMAO:

By the way, as an American, I proudly defend my countries right to be illogical in units of measure... and the rest of the world can suck it! :ROFLMAO:
OK Boomers. :D

This truly feels like trying to make my father buy a Smart Phone. LOL.

P.S.: I am a bona-fide Boomer, btw.

Zoey Raven

Game Developer/Walkthrough/Guide Maker
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2019
Yeah, but at least they have the excuse that they invented it, and the measures are at least based on their rulers. What's your excuse America? LOOOOOOOL

Please never mention that the Brits invented something, because we all know they think they invented everything! Yet another running joke Cenc and I have. :p

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: FatGiant

Zoey Raven

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2019
What it really is, is a Standard. Not a regional idiosyncrasy. People from all over the world can talk to each other and say it's 25º outside today, it's a nice day. Instead of saying 75º, and having to specify it is in weird units.

But, OK, Boomers.

View attachment 3619178

I just convert if for ya'll so there's no mix ups, in conversation anyway. In the game, well that takes place in the U.S., so it would be really dumb for the characters to say it's 37.7778 out when it's 100 degrees F! LOL

Zoey Raven

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2019
OK Boomers. :D

This truly feels like trying to make my father buy a Smart Phone. LOL.

P.S.: I am a bona-fide Boomer, btw.
Gen X and proud of it! Not that boomers don't have things to be proud of. Woodstock and what not. :p

divingmedic

Aug 15, 2023
Gen X and proud of it! Not that boomers don't have things to be proud of. Woodstock and what not. :p
Even the timeline for Gen X is muddled. Some say it is from 1961 to 1981 other says it's 1965 to 1981. So I can either be a boomer or proto Gen X.

Zoey Raven

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2019
Even the timeline for Gen X is muddled. Some say it is from 1961 to 1981 other says it's 1965 to 1981. So I can either be a boomer or proto Gen X.
Well, I fall into the very tail end of that, so I'm safe.

Anteron

Jun 17, 2023
Gen X here, too. My parents are boomers. Whenever British people give the temperature, it sounds like it's cold as a motherfucker, even if it's hot. 99% of the time when talking about temperature, if you're not a scientist, you're talking about room or outside temperature - where Fahrenheit makes more sense - or cooking temperature where it doesn't make much difference as long as you're consistent. Still, the date thing just sounds really, really weird giving the day first and then the month.

• Haha
Reactions: FatGiant

HentaiKami

Engaged Member
Jan 27, 2019
Gen X here, too. My parents are boomers. Whenever British people give the temperature, it sounds like it's cold as a motherfucker, even if it's hot. 99% of the time when talking about temperature, if you're not a scientist, you're talking about room or outside temperature - where Fahrenheit makes more sense - or cooking temperature where it doesn't make much difference as long as you're consistent. Still, the date thing just sounds really, really weird giving the day first and then the month.
Nah, Celsius is quite logical and easy to understand in common situations of everyday life. Fahrenheit is the weird one to understand since it doesn't follow as logical scale as Celsius does. Everyone here understands what kind of temperatures to expect when you tell them that it's 25º and be ready for them when you go out, for example.

HentaiKami

Engaged Member
Jan 27, 2019
I just convert if for ya'll so there's no mix ups, in conversation anyway. In the game, well that takes place in the U.S., so it would be really dumb for the characters to say it's 37.7778 out when it's 100 degrees F! LOL
I mean, of course it's your right to use illogical measurements if you want just as it is our right as non-US citizens to chuckle at your expense. :p

Also in that specific example most people would just round it to be 38º in Celsius, since it's close enough that you won't notice difference between 37.7778 and 38. :D

FatGiant

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2022
What do you feel if I say, July 4th?

It's the same that I feel when you May 4th and I see, 04/05/2024, now you don't know if I mean April 5th or May 4th, and neither do I... What makes more sense, 350 million people changing, or 7,5 billion?

4.50 star(s) 129 Votes