Semeicardia

The Real Slim Semei
Modder
Donor
Mar 11, 2017
New issue, It appears the body mods for reducing height are not working
Damn it :confounded:
I'll try to do a hot-fix tomorrow after my classes. :coldsweat:
I am getting so burned out on RAGS because No Haven is coded so unnecessarily complex, making modding hard. I can not even comprehend having to create content with the setup he has done :confounded:
As I said, I am fairly sure I could make a faster-loading, more easily modifiable and expandable game with roughly the same content in the same engine. :confounded:
I might just have to make my own No Haven-like :perservingface:

Dregrin

Nov 20, 2017
I've been beta testing games for so long now i tend to actively hunt for bugs in new features without even thinking about it. I wish i had the coding skills to make heads or tails of no haven, I've tried several times to make my own games in multiple platforms and failed every time.

Reactions: Semeicardia

Semeicardia

The Real Slim Semei
Modder
Donor
Mar 11, 2017
I've been beta testing games for so long now i tend to actively hunt for bugs in new features without even thinking about it. I wish i had the coding skills to make heads or tails of no haven, I've tried several times to make my own games in multiple platforms and failed every time.
Do not get me wrong, I do appreciate you testing my mod and reporting the bugs, thank you kindly for that. :D
What I do not like is more work :perservingface:

Zargod

Sep 8, 2017
Oddball glitch: when you try to add traits to a slaver/slave who is not the last character generated (whether they have turned up yet, or are merely the product of a recently-launched mission), they have their visible details (though not their actual details, which are still used to calculate assignment successes) overwritten by that last character. I currently have a Veteran Succubus Mistress (Mistress of Torments) masquerading as an "Inexperienced Slave" of a different name and traits (about to turn up in a day or two from a raid on a Goblin village).

Also a minor glitch, adding a trait to a slave changes their classification from "Slave" to "NewSlave" -- but this seems to eventually reset.

But at least this update removes an enormously ridiculous feature of the base game -- how ridiculously difficult it was to find slaves with Crafter skills (particularly obvious with C:Cu, but also how difficult should it be to find the Village Blacksmith or Town Seamstress/Brewer of the locality you're raiding or infiltrating?). The easiest way I found previously to get them was to obsessively spam Town/Tavern visits whenever I could in the hope that a mercenary (who I could thereafter make-permanent & then enslave) would have a crafter trait. This makes this update a big win for me. Thank you kindly. :D

DownTheDrain

Donor
Aug 25, 2017
I wish i had the coding skills to make heads or tails of no haven, I've tried several times to make my own games in multiple platforms and failed every time.
Do yourself (and everyone else) a favor and don't use RAGS for your first game. You'd probably get more stable results coding on an Etch-A-Sketch.

Reactions: DrLopunny

Dregrin

Nov 20, 2017
But at least this update removes an enormously ridiculous feature of the base game -- how ridiculously difficult it was to find slaves with Crafter skills (particularly obvious with C:Cu, but also how difficult should it be to find the Village Blacksmith or Town Seamstress/Brewer of the locality you're raiding or infiltrating?).
According to the wiki a person assigned to the Blacksmith/Seamstress roll will eventually pick up the C:Me/C:Ap trait, no such mention for cook or brewer.

Further testing of body mods show reduction also does not work for breasts but does work for cock size

Aug 26, 2017
I've been a supporter of No Haven for a good while, and the amount of bugs and just rags being rags has led me to want to make my own rendition of it, or at least hope for something better. It's a great concept, but the dev doesn't have nearly enough people to help with fixing the game, let alone coding new content. But he isn't pulling 'that' much from supporters, so it's understandable. Would happily give my money to someone else doing a No Haven remake type project though.

Semeicardia

The Real Slim Semei
Modder
Donor
Mar 11, 2017
Oddball glitch: when you try to add traits to a slaver/slave who is not the last character generated (whether they have turned up yet, or are merely the product of a recently-launched mission), they have their visible details (though not their actual details, which are still used to calculate assignment successes) overwritten by that last character. I currently have a Veteran Succubus Mistress (Mistress of Torments) masquerading as an "Inexperienced Slave" of a different name and traits (about to turn up in a day or two from a raid on a Goblin village).

Also a minor glitch, adding a trait to a slave changes their classification from "Slave" to "NewSlave" -- but this seems to eventually reset.

But at least this update removes an enormously ridiculous feature of the base game -- how ridiculously difficult it was to find slaves with Crafter skills (particularly obvious with C:Cu, but also how difficult should it be to find the Village Blacksmith or Town Seamstress/Brewer of the locality you're raiding or infiltrating?). The easiest way I found previously to get them was to obsessively spam Town/Tavern visits whenever I could in the hope that a mercenary (who I could thereafter make-permanent & then enslave) would have a crafter trait. This makes this update a big win for me. Thank you kindly. :D
Thank you for your kind words.
I just got home and as promised, I am about to work on a hotfix for the naming issues and other bugs reported, but not work on any features for v4.
I am glad you like my mod, despite how messy the release of this version was, how many bugs it had and unfinished features.

Do yourself (and everyone else) a favor and don't use RAGS for your first game. You'd probably get more stable results coding on an Etch-A-Sketch.
RAGS can be a decent engine if the coder knows what they are doing. As I have said a couple of times already, I am fairly sure I can recreate No Haven as a RAGS game with less lag, better optimization for modding and easier expandable content.
While I am fairly experienced in using RAGS, I am probably going to make my game - if I do make one that is - as something that looks like and behaves like RAGS but is entirely only and is actually not RAGS, if that makes any sense. I would not chose to do web over RAGS due to RAGS lag issues, but rather because it would allow more people to play it - that would be my sole reason.

According to the wiki a person assigned to the Blacksmith/Seamstress roll will eventually pick up the C:Me/C:Ap trait, no such mention for cook or brewer.

Further testing of body mods show reduction also does not work for breasts but does work for cock size
As I mentioned above, I am going to try to hotfix this today.

Semeicardia

The Real Slim Semei
Modder
Donor
Mar 11, 2017
I've been a supporter of No Haven for a good while, and the amount of bugs and just rags being rags has led me to want to make my own rendition of it, or at least hope for something better. It's a great concept, but the dev doesn't have nearly enough people to help with fixing the game, let alone coding new content. But he isn't pulling 'that' much from supporters, so it's understandable. Would happily give my money to someone else doing a No Haven remake type project though.
Well, I am glad I would have some financial support if I do decide to make a remake. For now, I just want to finish my mod, making it feature complete, then I might take the next step and remake No Haven first in RAGS, then for the web.
Some may question why I would remake it in RAGS first before porting to the web. It's quite easy, if I remake it for RAGS first, I would have a much easier time porting to the web since my remake would be better code-wise. Secondly, it would give people something to play while I would port to the web.

But seriously though, just knowing I would have any kind of support for remaking the game is and will be a great motivator. The reason I even took my mod way beyond what it originally was, was to let people play the game the way they want. If remaking the game means it will be even easier for people to play the way they like, that makes the decision to remake the game that much easier.

Reactions: shinonen
Aug 26, 2017
Well, I am glad I would have some financial support if I do decide to make a remake. For now, I just want to finish my mod, making it feature complete, then I might take the next step and remake No Haven first in RAGS, then for the web.
Some may question why I would remake it in RAGS first before porting to the web. It's quite easy, if I remake it for RAGS first, I would have a much easier time porting to the web since my remake would be better code-wise. Secondly, it would give people something to play while I would port to the web.

But seriously though, just knowing I would have any kind of support for remaking the game is and will be a great motivator. The reason I even took my mod way beyond what it originally was, was to let people play the game the way they want. If remaking the game means it will be even easier for people to play the way they like, that makes the decision to remake the game that much easier.
I personally can't speak highly enough about your mod. The base game is so ruined by false RNG rolls, bugs, slavers disappearing, typos, and just general wtf logic. Some of the hardest assignments to actually crit on in effect screw one of your slavers, or just grant some menial amount of xp, which would be acceptable if the leveling options weren't so seemingly arbitrary. I think I speak for a lot of people when I mentioned supporting you if you decided to take a crack at making your own NH type game, regardless of platform. Based on my knowledge, and what has been said by you and others about NH, you could simply do it up in your own way and cut out the bloat and kick the pants off the current game.

Imo it comes down to getting the word out there too with your project when that time comes. As I touched on earlier, the dev probably would have a much better game if he had more subs.

Semeicardia

The Real Slim Semei
Modder
Donor
Mar 11, 2017
I personally can't speak highly enough about your mod. The base game is so ruined by false RNG rolls, bugs, slavers disappearing, typos, and just general wtf logic. Some of the hardest assignments to actually crit on in effect screw one of your slavers, or just grant some menial amount of xp, which would be acceptable if the leveling options weren't so seemingly arbitrary. I think I speak for a lot of people when I mentioned supporting you if you decided to take a crack at making your own NH type game, regardless of platform. Based on my knowledge, and what has been said by you and others about NH, you could simply do it up in your own way and cut out the bloat and kick the pants off the current game.

Imo it comes down to getting the word out there too with your project when that time comes. As I touched on earlier, the dev probably would have a much better game if he had more subs.
As a writer, poet, modder, game developer and gamer. Personally when I make a game it is because I can use it as a medium to tell a story I would otherwise not be able to tell, a story I want to tell - to share an experience that can only be experienced by direct audience input. This makes the games I make passion projects. Developing a game with a financial aspect as your main objective will result in a colder, shallower story.

So if I do remake No Haven, it is because I intend to use it to share an experience, to tell a story. If I happen to get financial support - awesome, if not that is fine as well, since I do it because I want to tell a story. It is not so much about fetishes, kinks or smut, its about a well-written story, that is what will engage people. You can get smut anywhere, but only in games can you influence the direction the story takes - a good writer will make best use of the medium.

Aug 26, 2017
Being able to enjoy telling that story is what those somewhat few top tier games made by a small group or just one person shine. Lack of passion for ones art or the wrong approach is evident in so very many games, of all genres and budgets.

Semeicardia

The Real Slim Semei
Modder
Donor
Mar 11, 2017
Being able to enjoy telling that story is what those somewhat few top tier games made by a small group or just one person shine. Lack of passion for ones art or the wrong approach is evident in so very many games, of all genres and budgets.
Indeed.
On another note, I am currently working on the hotfix. I managed to fix the name glitch with the traits, but updating each trait is painfully slow, sadly. I have currently done A through D, hopefully I can finish E through Z within the next 2 hours and release the hotfix.
I think I have fixed the body manipulation not shrinking stuff, not entirely sure, I have not tested that fix.

Semeicardia

The Real Slim Semei
Modder
Donor
Mar 11, 2017
Cheat Mod v3.5 has just been released!
It fixes the naming glitch when adding traits, should fix body modification shrinking to actually shrink now and added ability to rename yourself, your slavers and slaves (though slaves is only partially implemented)

Reactions: lbt and brynhildr

Zargod

Sep 8, 2017
I think the the key word there is "eventually". The process seems to be rather slow and uncertain. And it always seemed silly to me to throw a random slave into the position in the hope that they might prove to have an aptitude, rather than simply enslaving a village blacksmith or a town seamstress. If you have to break immersion anyway, you might as well do it in a swift and certain manner (hence my preference for this cheat mod for doing so) -- at least IMHO. :)

Zargod

Sep 8, 2017
I am glad you like my mod, despite how messy the release of this version was, how many bugs it had and unfinished features.
Short of a complete rewrite from scratch, any modification of No Haven will be messy, buggy and (due to the amount of extra work that dealing with the mess and the bugs) tend to get bogged down and complete fewer features than you might like.

This does not take anything away from how much the mod does to alleviate the feeling of being only a passive passenger in a game whose true 'player' is the RNG. Again, thank you. :D

I would have to agree with many of the comments here. If Semeicardia, or someone else, is going to rework this idea, here a few of the more glaring issues with the original from my perspective that could use improvement:

• Give the player more of a feeling of control, so they don't feel like they're simply riding the RNG roller-coaster.
  • Provide better control of the information torrent (perhaps a short bullet-point daily summary, that the player can click-through for descriptive details).
  • More, and particularly more ongoing differentiation between the different starting PCs (whose trajectories seem to fairly quickly converge in NH), would provide improved repeat playability.
  • Interactions between PC and NPCs (slaver, slave & outsider) that are more immersive, rather than baldly transactional (put on this armor, take this camp role, etc).
  • (Allowing the player to edit the descriptive fluff would also be nice, In a recent game I bought the unique-slaver Ogre Succubus a set of scanty masterwork armor, but was turned off by the submissive slogan emblazoned on it. Likewise it would be nice to have the ability to change the slaver-images to suit individual taste.)

Semeicardia

The Real Slim Semei
Modder
Donor
Mar 11, 2017
I think the the key word there is "eventually". The process seems to be rather slow and uncertain. And it always seemed silly to me to throw a random slave into the position in the hope that they might prove to have an aptitude, rather than simply enslaving a village blacksmith or a town seamstress. If you have to break immersion anyway, you might as well do it in a swift and certain manner (hence my preference for this cheat mod for doing so) -- at least IMHO. :)
I agree. I create my mods because certain aspects annoy me and if they annoy me, they probably annoy a lot of people. If I am making a mod for myself to remove the annoying aspect of a game, I might as well share it and remove other people's annoyance as well :)

Short of a complete rewrite from scratch, any modification of No Haven will be messy, buggy and (due to the amount of extra work that dealing with the mess and the bugs) tend to get bogged down and complete fewer features than you might like.
I have to agree, but that does not mean I should not try to do better than the creator of the original mess. I think a lot of my negativity is aimed more at myself for failing to deliver what I wanted to deliver at the time I wanted to deliver it. If anything it means I have to do so very much better than what is expected.

This does not take anything away from how much the mod does to alleviate the feeling of being only a passive passenger in a game whose true 'player' is the RNG. Again, thank you. :D
I am glad you think so and you are most certainly most welcome :D

I would have to agree with many of the comments here. If Semeicardia, or someone else, is going to rework this idea, here a few of the more glaring issues with the original from my perspective that could use improvement:

• Give the player more of a feeling of control, so they don't feel like they're simply riding the RNG roller-coaster.
  • Provide better control of the information torrent (perhaps a short bullet-point daily summary, that the player can click-through for descriptive details).
  • More, and particularly more ongoing differentiation between the different starting PCs (whose trajectories seem to fairly quickly converge in NH), would provide improved repeat playability.
  • Interactions between PC and NPCs (slaver, slave & outsider) that are more immersive, rather than baldly transactional (put on this armor, take this camp role, etc).
  • (Allowing the player to edit the descriptive fluff would also be nice, In a recent game I bought the unique-slaver Ogre Succubus a set of scanty masterwork armor, but was turned off by the submissive slogan emblazoned on it. Likewise it would be nice to have the ability to change the slaver-images to suit individual taste.)
If I do make a No Haven remake or a No Haven-like, I will most certainly take those things into consideration. I would create a game I would want to play that has a story I would want to experience in a way I would like to experience it. That is probably the best way I could ever create a game. Player agency and player engagement is two of the biggest factors in any game, two factors I value very highly myself.

Reactions: shinonen
Aug 26, 2017
I think based on what has been discussed recently about your take on an NH type game, you'd do well. Especially given how well your mod performs it's desired effect. If/when you decide to do it; whether you need a bug finder, or help with grammar/typos, or just suggestions in general about content and the way it's experienced, you've got a couple people you can rely on at the least. Personally I hate not being about to help fix something when I know full well some things need to be. Given that, my time is yours whenever I'm free if this project should come to pass.

Semeicardia

The Real Slim Semei
Modder
Donor
Mar 11, 2017
I think based on what has been discussed recently about your take on an NH type game, you'd do well. Especially given how well your mod performs it's desired effect. If/when you decide to do it; whether you need a bug finder, or help with grammar/typos, or just suggestions in general about content and the way it's experienced, you've got a couple people you can rely on at the least. Personally I hate not being about to help fix something when I know full well some things need to be. Given that, my time is yours whenever I'm free if this project should come to pass.
I sincerely appreciate it.
Having people who support you and who also cares as much for the project as you is very valuable especially during early stages of any game's development. I am fairly certain I have proven I can keep to a schedule and provide information during development, so hopefully that will earn me some confidence when I need support for the remake, should I take on the task.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote