VN Ren'Py New Year's Day(e) [Ch. 4 v0.4.1] [Jonesy]

3.30 star(s) 14 Votes

AshramAscendant

Apr 28, 2020
Most games you can open the script.rpy with any text editor. (Always make a backup ofc).

Then you can just search for certain lines or dialogue, e.g. "stepmom" and can replace all with "mom".

But, with Notepad ++, Visual Code, etc, text editor you can open it up look around, it's really not that difficult, I had zero experience starting doing it.

Once you open the script you will see all the lines you see spoken/text you would see in game, so you can edit whatever you want (dev's won't like it sometimes) to fit the story in your head. This isn't easy in some games, but other games it is that simple just going in and changing the dialgue.
Yeah, it seems like a bunch of the Spanish language games have a script.rpy file and then a TL folder that just references the script to do translations. Those are the most annoying to edit as it is pretty easy to break the game.

Havik79

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2019
Is there any way to fix this text from being so shit, half of the stuff is hard to read because it goes down to the quick menu, and that screen file with the i/age patch doesn't help.

m0us3r

Nov 28, 2020
Is there any way to fix this text from being so shit, half of the stuff is hard to read because it goes down to the quick menu, and that screen file with the i/age patch doesn't help.
If you use say.rpy, here is a corrected version. Or just add yoffset -32 to the bottom of your say.rpy, like this:
Code:
style say_dialogue:
    outlines [(8, "#666C"), (6, "#333"), (4, "#000")]
    size 46
    align (0.5, 1.0)
    yoffset -32
That would lift the dialog text up 32 px (or you can use any other number).
Alternatively, you can turn off quick menu by opening console: ` and typing
Code:
quick_menu=False
Or use the file "no_quick_menu.rpy".

darkplayground

Nov 23, 2020
I added the age choice to the "no-step" patch posted by TomHook. (The age choice script above didn't have the "no-step" corrections).

So THIS IS THE ULTIMATE incest and age patch for v.0.1.

It also has improved outlines for better readability when the textbox is transparent. Save it as "script.rpy" and replace the original "script.rpy" in "games" folder. (First make a backup of the original file just in case).

Also here is a tiny little mod for better dialogue style (a bit larger text, a wider and transparent textbox). It works well for screens like 16:9 or 16:10. It works for most other Ren'Py games as well. Just save it as "say.rpy" and drop it into "games" folder. To remove it: remove "say.rpy" and "say.rpyc" from "games" folder.
Thanks for the improved patch!

Elduriel

Engaged Member
Donor
Mar 28, 2021
I really enjoyed both the prequel and this one as well. Good characters and writing, renders are ok. Animations could use some work however. Good amount of content too for an initial release. Good luck dev, your game deserves more recognition.

Last edited:
Reactions: *Jonesy*

*Jonesy*

Obscenely Wholesome
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2022
I really enjoyed both the sequel and this one as well. Good characters and writing, renders are ok. Animations could use some work however. Good amount of content too for an initial release. Good luck dev, your game deserves more recognition.
Thanks so much. I'm really glad you're digging everything so far. You're absolutely right about some of renders and animations being questionable. I didn't really know what the hell I was doing during the first 3 chapters of Christmas Eve. I only started getting a clue as to how to use Ren'Py, Daz, and everything else during the last chapter. I definitely want to go back and redo CE. Keep the story, characters, and character models the same, but change/improve a bunch of other stuff.

Elduriel

Engaged Member
Donor
Mar 28, 2021
Thanks so much. I'm really glad you're digging everything so far. You're absolutely right about some of renders and animations being questionable. I didn't really know what the hell I was doing during the first 3 chapters of Christmas Eve. I only started getting a clue as to how to use Ren'Py, Daz, and everything else during the last chapter. I definitely want to go back and redo CE. Keep the story, characters, and character models the same, but change/improve a bunch of other stuff.
yeah well everyone have to start somewhere, no worries, they are both decent games

Reactions: *Jonesy*

*Jonesy*

Obscenely Wholesome
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2022
Refresh my memory, about how long between updates usually? Not rushing, just curious
With Christmas Eve I kinda rushed through them. With this one, I'm kinda taking a little more time to have a better, more detailed story. I'm trying to have chapter 2 out by the beginning of September. I'm guessing it will be about 3 months between each update, give or take.

cooties69

Jul 3, 2022
So final playing chapter 1, and LOVE that the emotinal cliff hanger from the end of the last game was resolved quickly at the strt of this one, and not drawn out lol. Also can't wait to see how ALL these new characters factor in. I'm sure not all will be as important, but still want to see lol.

SonsOfLiberty

Board Buff
Game Compressor
Sep 3, 2022
Anybody know when this will be updated?
You can check progress reports on Itch.io

Progress Report 7/29/23
» Devlog
Like9
11 days ago by ( )
Share this post:

Hey Everyone!

Well, it's official. This story is now completely off the rails from where I thought it was going. I blame Daye. It's all her fault really. I knew going into this project that her character was a bold, willful soul with a soft heart and a manipulative streak, but dammit, she hijacked my story line I had planned out and for now, it seems, she's manipulating me!

I've said before that a lot of times my characters seem to dictate what they do, and try as I might, the story starts to tell itself to me as I'm writing it. This time is no different, and honestly, I prefer it this way. This way when the dust settles the end result is just as much of a surprise to me as it is to you.

I think I'm about 2/3 done with chapter two as a whole. I'll check with management (Dayton) to verify. As I've said before, this chapter has a lot going on, but it's gonna be a fun one. I'm done with the first two of the three "acts". The only one left is the evening/nighttime act. The date with Becky. What will happen? Will things go well? Will something else stand between these two? I don't know anymore! Ask Daye!

In all seriousness, I hope I'm still on track to get chapter 2 to you all by the beginning of September. I think I am, but it's coming fast and I've got a lot of work to do.

Looks like Daye has been working hard, too. Check her out on the balance beam!

Looking good, Daye. Looking really, really good.

See y'all soon. Take care and stay cool.

~ Jonesy

SonsOfLiberty

Board Buff
Game Compressor
Sep 3, 2022

Hey Everyone!

In just over an hour (12:00am 8/19/23), I will be posting the link to New Year's Day(e) - Chapter 2 to my page, so if you want to get it before the rest do, head on over their and subscribe. If not, no worries, I will be posting it here sometime next week. Either way, thanks so much for everyone's interest and support for my stories. I really appreciate it!

Thanks!

~ Jonesy

fifo5310

Feb 25, 2018
New Year's Day(e) Chapter 2 - Release
» Devlog
2023-08-22 by ( )
Share this post:

VlvWRN.png

Here we go!

Chapter 2 of New Year's Day(e) is officially released to the public! Fly, my little bird, fly!

It seems like chapter 1 came out so long ago, but I just checked and it was only about 3 months. Crazy.

This is another big chapter, about the same length as chapter 1. Lots of things happen in this chapter, and not all of them are good. Kaylee is forced to deal with issues at home, Eve and Daye go on an adventure, and the MC goes to his job interview. The MC also goes on a date that takes a slightly unexpected (but not entirely unpleasant) turn, and the girls all have fun during a night at home. We learn a little more about our characters' pasts as the story opens itself up to tons of future possibilities. And, of course, this chapter comes to a somewhat shocking end...

Please check out chapters 1 and 2 and let me know what you think. I'm really loving the way this story is shaping up. I'm already working on the outline for chapter3. Things are about to get very interesting.

As a side note, I realize the file size is pretty big. I tried converting all the images to a .webp format, but they ended up looking like garbage, especially anything that was in a darker environment. If anyone can offer me any help or advice, I'd love to get either.

Seriously, leave me comments and let me know how I'm doing. As always, feel free to hit me up on and we can discuss things in depth.

Thanks to everyone for your continued interest and support of my stories. I love all y'all!

~ Jonesy

3.30 star(s) 14 Votes