ifohancroft

Oct 9, 2023
I'm just kidding around. I'm not a huge fan of RPG game engine visual novels. There is one I REALLY liked which used it well though, and that was "The Treasure of Nadia" and the prequel to it "Lust Epidemic". The Treasure of Nadia was much more than just a visual novel and just a lot of fun I thought. He made great use of the RPG Engine. That has been a series of games, all related to each other with quite regular updates. Both of those are complete, and there is now "The Genesis Order", again, based off the first two in story.
Oh, I know you were kidding. It just got me thinking that it's not so much about the engine, but how it's used. Although, of course, if you use Ren'Py, then you don't have to implement features that are already in it, in order to make it feel the same.

Also, thanks! Those games sound intriguing, I might give them a try.

Reactions: Night Hacker

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
Oh, I know you were kidding. It just got me thinking that it's not so much about the engine, but how it's used. Although, of course, if you use Ren'Py, then you don't have to implement features that are already in it, in order to make it feel the same.

Also, thanks! Those games sound intriguing, I might give them a try.
You're 100% right. It's not the engine, it's how you use it. If you want to use RPG game engine, than give it RPG elements that are fun, like the games I mentioned did... The Treasure of Nadia had lots of exploring, interesting locations, coins and hidden treasure which you could find and use to spend and improve some of what you did (like in an RPG). I honestly miss playing The Treasure of Nadia and really need to start playing the Genesis Order again.

For just straight Visual Novels, use RenPy. It's super easy to program as well, based on Python, probably THE best scripting language out there. I've been messing around creating my own visual novel, though I don't know if I will ever release it. Just for fun. Going to add in a Gallery to it next just to learn how to do it. Programming and rendering is easy, I just suck at story telling! hehehe... basing my VN on aspects of my own life. If I could get my sister to write more it would be amazing as that girl has had quite the life with lots of partners and events. She seemed interested. LMAO...

3.60 star(s) 63 Votes