RPGM Completed Monster Girl Quest: Paradox [Part 3 Demo v3.00] [Torotoro Resistance]

4.70 star(s) 32 Votes

Heissar

Apr 16, 2018
That's sort of the point? I"m not familiar with any mods but the highest difficulty has ridicilous modifiers (since torotoro doesnt understand difficulty design)
You just need intiative and one shot them first, though i honeslty wouldn't recommend that, paradox isnt a complex nor a game worth playing on harder difficulties and it only serves to waste your time
Yeah, initiative and nuke-them-before-they-nuke-you is the way I was doing it... guess I'll try Hell difficulty then.

Sscdrake

Jun 24, 2018
That's sort of the point? I"m not familiar with any mods but the highest difficulty has ridicilous modifiers (since torotoro doesnt understand difficulty design)
You just need intiative and one shot them first, though i honeslty wouldn't recommend that, paradox isnt a complex nor a game worth playing on harder difficulties and it only serves to waste your time
What you meant is that he doesn't understand the difference between challenge and tedium like many devs.

coreywil13579

Dec 28, 2020
I noticed in 3.00 from 2.41 how easy it is to kill the slime girls on Illias Mountain in very hard mode, but also how easy they can kill you. Difficulty modifiers definitely have been changed.

JakeMSG

Jul 2, 2017
Yeah, initiative and nuke-them-before-they-nuke-you is the way I was doing it... guess I'll try Hell difficulty then.
What you meant is that he doesn't understand the difference between challenge and tedium like many devs.
The one thing I'd actually say is that Paradox difficulty (and arguably Hell Difficulty too) should be gated behind doing at least a playthrough of the game. They realistically aren't meant for a New Game, but a NG+ at the very least. A good example of that you get if you play the game on Paradox (like I did, on a NG+) up until the Collaboration Event, where your previous loadout is temporarily unavailable (and would have to face monsters on Paradox difficulty without any of your previous advantages). IMO, they should've had the Collab Event also auto-switch your difficulty to Normal for its duration.

Aside from that, if you view those as Post-game modifiers, they feel quite alright. Not only that, but they are left to your own choice (there isn't any difference between playing the game on Normal or Paradox), aside from Superbosses, where your difficulty is automatically set to Normal if it was lower than that.

My real complaint here is that they don't also bump up Exp&Money&Item drops (and maybe even recruitment chances) on higher difficulties, that would've felt like a fair tradeoff (and incentive for people to attempt higher difficulties), and many other RPGs use similar systems.

I noticed in 3.00 from 2.41 how easy it is to kill the slime girls on Illias Mountain in very hard mode, but also how easy they can kill you. Difficulty modifiers definitely have been changed.
Hmmm, interesting. Maybe they reworked the system a bit? I'd hope they added increased drops on higher difficulties while they were at it (although I can always mod it back in on the full v3.0 when it arrives).

Reactions: Succubus Hunter

Damnation0202

Jan 31, 2022
Sup everyone, just downloaded the 3.0 demo. I import my saves from the previous version but i discover that my combat replayer been erased. anyone know how to get it back? (without fighting the monster girl of course.)

Noctis_

May 12, 2020
Apologies if this has been asked already, but are the sex scenes in the demo translated or nah?

Ogrexin

Nov 25, 2020
What i said, increasing stats isnt good difficulty design
If you play on a higher difficulty you might expect more punishment, less resources, different attacks from enemies making you switch to different strategies
Ultimately if your game is mechanically deep or simply thought out enough where the player actually has to think to beat his enemies than to bum rush by grinding to the point of godhood, you dont even have to touch the stats of enemies
in horror games for example, higher difficulties limit if not erase your save function
This is an IMMENSE change for the player, and the tension of the game ramps up to a hundred, one loss might mean starting over, or starting over to an area they were at hours ago

As for why it's not deep, well...

Paradox has numerous classes with skills that have no real benefit others ones, nor does the game encourage you to use other weapon skills, and yes, the game has to do that, through enemies or otherwise, because it implies no enemy in the game requires you to change your strategy in the slightest, and most of them in the game dont (you have no reason to use axe or spear skills other than personal choice)
None of it is unique to play, nor does it provide any tangible benefit or demerit for using them, you could technically change luka into a spear user and have no issues difficulty wise, but you never had a reason to change it other than simple curiosity, and now you're too lazy to go back to a different class (which are equally the same)

Altough one might think that there are various party comps that you can have in the game, most of the 400 are basically useful and so are their traits, with races failing to do the same thing classes dom and that's being bland and boring
You'd think that hearing that every companion has a unique trait and several racial combinations would lead to even greater variety in what you could do, and the enemies you encounter, but not really
Aside from a few gimick skills, and some minor differences, for completely different races some of them are eerily the similar
And not to mention how the meta is heavily out of balance, scyllas and slimes massively outscale anything that the other races could give you
LoC bosses are the only real place where you'll meet difficulty, and due to the fact the game hasnt really taught you much, or the fact that most loc bosses are immune to every element and status effect except that one specific thing that you'll need to read a guide to figure out
Speaking of LoC it's where the difficulty design shines the most (in a bad way)
After 60th floor of CloC, you'll meet generic enemies that will one shot you, you wil not survive, this isnt a question, it's a fact
The only way to win against them is to act first and one shot them first, which is using one of the 3 popular metas (buff the shit out of yourself, crush them with pleasurable gravity, or act 5 times per turn per companion and hit them 11 times per each of those 5 turns per companion, technically this isnt a one shot, a one turn shot is better)

3 metas, that's all it boils down to, at the very least on the lower levels, i saw some videos of people play through 100+ CLoC bosses and it is impressive, god knows when they learnt all of that since the game ceratintly doesnt encourage you to learn in the first place, but knowing there's people with 300 hours of playtime on this i guess it makes sense, hats off to them, after hundreds of hours they finally learnt how to play the game, it's like a child raising themselves despite their neglectful parent, very inspriing

Anyways, TLDR
- The game doesnt encourage experimentation, status effects are risks you can take but give no more benefits than not using them, atleast for most enemies, and in LoC most enemies are completely immune to most effects except the very few, by it's definition denounces the notion of there being multiple ways to beat an enemy
- The game doesnt teach you it's mechanics either, since it doesnt encourage experimentation, it has no reason to
- Despite the numerous classes, races, their evolutions, ability modifers, types of equipment, companions and their traits, most of it is basically the same shit in a different package
- "enemies are stronger now" is not good difficulty design

That's all, if you want to denounce my opinion, here's a reason, i hate turn based games, i always have, always will, and i am completely transparent that im being biased, but out of every game i've played, paradox wont escape mediocrity in my ranking

Heissar

Apr 16, 2018
Thread title says v3.00, game's title screen says v2.23.00. Which is it? And if it's the latter how do I upgrade to 3.00? While maintaining the translation.

Elhidino

Jun 30, 2017
how to recruit
After you get the castle all overworld enemies will have chance to join you when you defeat them(You can increase this chance sometimes by talking to them first and later in the game you can obtain informant class that has a skill that increases affection stat that increases the probability) there is also quite few characters that are locked behind quests(The same character that gives you the informant job will basically act as sidequest tracker and you can find them when you enter that castle from the front) and finally some characters are unlocked based on if you chose Illias or Alice as your partner(I would highly recommend doing both playthroughs if you are interested in the story, new game plus carriers over everything)

• Thinking Face

Sscdrake

Jun 24, 2018
Fellas, remember playing in first 2 parts in 2016-2017. Is story complete? If it is, I'll still wait for full version, 'cause I still like some scenes, like with Jaide and would like to wait for more chars.
Nah, parts 1 and 2 are done, 3 will be done in a year or so we hope, then who knows how long it'll take to translate since it's supposedly bigger than 1 and 2 combined and each one of those took forever.

All that's happening is a demo for part 3 is out. Honestly, not sure why everyone cares so much since it's barely any content and we still have no indication of anything meaningful, but I guess these folks are dying of so much thirst they'll lick sweat off balls if that's what it takes.

Sscdrake

Jun 24, 2018
That's all, if you want to denounce my opinion, here's a reason, i hate turn based games, i always have, always will, and i am completely transparent that im being biased, but out of every game i've played, paradox wont escape mediocrity in my ranking
You wrote an awful lot to just say "I agree with you." As someone who DOES like not only turn-based RPGs, but pretty much all RPGs, there is no a situation in which lazy stat inflation will ever be more than artificially mechanical and stiff 'difficulty.'

For what it's worth, this kind of difficulty modification is widely hated by most gamers anyway because it's so fake. Every game only has one real difficulty. That's the one it was designed for and playtested at, and it's never the highest ones I'll tell you that.

And difficulty isn't something you can throw on a bar. The difficulty of a puzzle without hints or a combination of complex platforming jumps has an inherent difficulty. Giving you less lives or you taking more damage might make it 'harder' by punishing mistakes and wasting your time, but it isn't going to make the puzzles or jump sequence any more or less challenging.

And so, most developers don't understand the difference between tedium and challenge. An HP sponge is not harder, it's just more tedious. Full avoidance to avoid fattened stats, veeeeery often by either complete shutdown via debuffs/stuns/etc or overwhelming force (like the superior strats you two described for Paradox) works just as well as it does on the lower difficulties, and may not simply be the only way to play at all. Whooo, I guess.

Games meant to be hard are designed that way from the start. Going to use a boring example but soulsborne games for instance, are built hard and let you only artificially scale downward. Overleveling, summoning help, using cheese builds, etc. But that first blind run is usually exciting because of the hidden challenges lurking and not tedious.

• Thinking Face
4.70 star(s) 32 Votes