RPGM Abandoned Malise And The Machine [v0.0511] [Eromancer]

3.70 star(s) 9 Votes

bigpenniser

Aug 7, 2016
why cant we bring this issue to notify patreon as this is really a scam?
Cause I believe that Patreon's stance is that if you are getting scammed just stop donating.

They have lost in just these 2 weeks 2k bucks if I remember correctly the money they were getting when I checked on the 21st of sept, so we getting there I guess.

bloodmane

Dec 6, 2017
Cause I believe that Patreon's stance is that if you are getting scammed just stop donating.

They have lost in just these 2 weeks 2k bucks if I remember correctly the money they were getting when I checked on the 21st of sept, so we getting there I guess.
well i kind of dont like patreon's stance about it. how about those people who are getting scammed that doesnt know they are being scammed..

But thats a good news i guess. them losing backers

Reactions: Raven Hex

156_163_146_167

Engaged Member
Jun 5, 2017
why cant we bring this issue to notify patreon as this is really a scam?
The thing about Patreon is that there is no guarantee that whoever is backing someone actually gets anything out of it. That is not what they wanted to do with their platform. They see it more as a way to support creators you like, and creators can give something back in return. So while I think it's not okay to not deliver anything after such a long time (and they're not likely to deliver for a long time to come), I don't think Patreon can do anything about it. They are using their platform for what it was intended to be used for. If you do not like what Eromancer is doing, then don't give them any money is what it comes down to.

Reactions: bloodmane

bloodmane

Dec 6, 2017
The thing about Patreon is that there is no guarantee that whoever is backing someone actually gets anything out of it. That is not what they wanted to do with their platform. They see it more as a way to support creators you like, and creators can give something back in return. So while I think it's not okay to not deliver anything after such a long time (and they're not likely to deliver for a long time to come), I don't think Patreon can do anything about it. They are using their platform for what it was intended to be used for. If you do not like what Eromancer is doing, then don't give them any money is what it comes down to.
oh yeah, right right. its just that this is really scammy and their platform is being exploited but i guess the backers should know when to stop pledging...

Dixiepig

Jun 27, 2017
Yeah, the info is that they claim it took them 2+ years to port 3 models from Daz to Maya, but apparently it has taken them about a month to make a new one in that new style for the new sca... game they are going to make.
I'm more interested in the technical specifics. The scope of work for rigging can vary a great deal. For example, rigging a main character in an animated film can take an *enormous* amount of work that can tie up a professional for the better part of a year. My understanding is that DAZ human models have a very comprehensive amount of control over minute details of the face, and many cool features such as corrective shape keys (makes knees etc bend realistically) which are a huge pain in the ass to make for a realistic human figure.

If the MatM team are porting these human models into Maya (if I read that correctly), *and* trying to re-create the rig's feature set, then that would be a big time sink even for a professional.

To me though it seems like a strange thing to do because their project doesn't demand nearly that level of control. Their main characters aren't animated (which I think is great: huge scope reduction), so they don't need (e.g) correctly interpolating corrective shape keys, or detailed facial rig controls. They could get by with a very simple rig and a small set of facial expressions, and correct artifacts in the still renders on a case-by-case basis, instead of building a fully general rigged character that can handle problems they never need to throw at it.

The animated enemies are great because they are very simple from a rigging perspective. Rigid-jointed characters like robots and insects are dead easy to weight-paint, which sucks and takes ages for soft organic things like humans or clothing. These SWAT team guys would be harder but their faces are covered and their clothing is tight so it could be a lot worse.

I am definitely speculating here on almost no information, which is why I would like to hear more details. Also I am far from an expert in DAZ, MAYA, RPGMaker... pretty much all the tools they are using, so take everything I say with two big scoops of skepticism.

156_163_146_167

Engaged Member
Jun 5, 2017
To me though it seems like a strange thing to do because their project doesn't demand nearly that level of control.
That seems to be the main flaw of the MatM team. Doing things that the game does not need in the slightest. The last playable version they released was not bad at all, but in the meantime they decided to revamp just about everything. If they continued what they were doing back then until they had a completed game, they wouldn't have a horde of angry people going after them.

C17H19NO3

Oct 8, 2018
The last playable version they released was not bad at all, but in the meantime they decided to revamp just about everything.
The most disappointing thing IMO is that with the "revamp" of graphics the art style in general happened to suffer. Previous character renders with simple but contrast light and outlines had quite an artistic consistency with overall design (interface, backgrounds etc) while kept the general feeling of "motion comic". Now the new renders are oh so gleamy and technological, however give quite a feel of uncanny valley: not (even quasi-)photorealistic yet (lacking dynamic illumination due to pre-render), while not being stylized "comic-wise" already.

kasdiddd

Sep 15, 2018
the team has no flaws...they were smart. they made just the right amount of great content and sat on the monthly donations for a while with limited intention to finish

people saying 'they were too young' or 'the project is too big for them' are just getting punked. they could do it but it's way smarter for them for time and money to just leave the project where it is and string people along. the only losers are those that keep giving money. patreon and the matm dev team are just fine

156_163_146_167

Engaged Member
Jun 5, 2017
the team has no flaws...they were smart. they made just the right amount of great content and sat on the monthly donations for a while with limited intention to finish

people saying 'they were too young' or 'the project is too big for them' are just getting punked. they could do it but it's way smarter for them for time and money to just leave the project where it is and string people along. the only losers are those that keep giving money. patreon and the matm dev team are just fine
The truth hurts.

stardecay

Jul 28, 2018
This makes me want to make my own side scrolling unity game 'cause it's just not hard with the appropriate skills to release monthly updates...

James1980

Feb 17, 2018
The saga continues lol

"patreon is our only source of income"

two years since playable content and he admits they have nothing else to do but work on the game... what is this guy smoking? Then says they need another year at least even tho the game has been in development for three years... 2k in support drop and all of a sudden... hey look i know matm has had no progress but LOOK! We are ripping off grimhelm's style to make a brand new side scroller game (despite the fact we've had 0 progress on our main game in two years) we can totally handle making this one, hand drawing it, and releasing updates while we "pretend" to still work on matm...

Instead of losing money being the kick in the ass they needed to do something, it was nothing more than a kick in the ass to create a new con... This shit pisses me off every time and it isn't just because of the money I lost to them. You see how talented they actually are every time they decide to actually put a little work in to keep their free ride going. If they had half the motivation as they do talent, they could had been an actual studio by now... they could have hired people to do the work and still sit on their asses doing nothing all the time. With steam becoming open to M content now there is a giant hole to fill in the west with the lack of a major developer like the Japan's lilith soft or illusion. In the end tho as I always say, fuck these guys. It was seriously put up or shut up time a year ago.

Excelsior Man

Jun 8, 2018
Sorry to go off-topic but does anyone know what exact genre of music is used in Malise and the Machine? I tried searching up Industrial music but had no luck finding anything that remotely sounds like the tracks from the game. Also can you guys recommend some bands/songs that sound like the ones from the game?

156_163_146_167

Engaged Member
Jun 5, 2017
We are ripping off grimhelm's style
Not trying to jump to Eromancer's defence here, but aside from it being 2d, how is the new game ripping off Grimhelm's style? The game still has a MatM style if you ask me. Grimhelm has a quite specific style that I haven't seen anywhere else yet. Just because it uses spines for 2d animation does not mean it's ripping off.

James1980

Feb 17, 2018
Not trying to jump to Eromancer's defence here, but aside from it being 2d, how is the new game ripping off Grimhelm's style? The game still has a MatM style if you ask me. Grimhelm has a quite specific style that I haven't seen anywhere else yet. Just because it uses spines for 2d animation does not mean it's ripping off.
to me his style sets him (grim) apart from other 2d side scrollers. the lighting and shading specifically. As soon as I saw the teaser images I immediately thought of him. If this side project ever saw the light of day I would have thought it was grim rather than ero. Most people who do side scrolling h games tend to look more animeish, most H artists are Japanese after all. Grim being american and not Japanese is a big reason i'm sure for his art style. It isn't fair to say what I did, It was only my immediate reaction to the images and had no real backing.

Ero is still a shitbag tho lol

fizz

Dec 27, 2017
Sorry to go off-topic but does anyone know what exact genre of music is used in Malise and the Machine? I tried searching up Industrial music but had no luck finding anything that remotely sounds like the tracks from the game. Also can you guys recommend some bands/songs that sound like the ones from the game?
"Music genre" is a rather inaccurate and unhelpful information in my humble opinion.
Check out , , , , & and go from there.

Good luck finding what you seek. :)

Excelsior Man

Jun 8, 2018
"Music genre" is a rather inaccurate and unhelpful information in my humble opinion.
Check out
Please Log in / Register to view this link​
&
and go from there.

Good luck finding what you seek. :)
Thanks a whole bunch! I really like KMFDM and Faderhead, will check out more them and hopefully find other songs like MATM. I was already familiar with Celldweller, but never really considered his style similar to MATM. I also found the band that did the trailer for this game. They're called Common Man Down. Don't really have a lot of tracks i can find tho. I'll keep looking and thanks again!

Reactions: fizz

Esgaldin

Jun 4, 2018
I remember some time ago asked eromancer where can I listen music band from his game ost - he say that this is his and his friends side project, and eventually his music will be posted like patreon reward, but still I didnt hear nothing else on this topic.
Point is that in this game music files is compile in some .edf format and I have no idea how to decompile it, and everything I have is files name "Seed - Machine Gun Mary (MATM Edit).edf", "Battle_Music_Revamp.edf", "NOTHING TO HIDE.edf", "Knee Deep (MATM).edf", "Mr Black Has Entered The Building (MATM).edf", "SEED BATTLE 1.edf" - apparently they band called "Seed", so maybe someones here know how to decompile those format or can find more about this band music.

3.70 star(s) 9 Votes