Ren'Py Abandoned Lovely Sails [v0.4.1B] [SnowShoes]

4.00 star(s) 2 Votes

Snow-Shoes

Game Developer
Dec 4, 2016
So its intended that i mostly miss while hunint? Or should i 'shoot' in a specific moment?
It takes a bit of getting used to, but you have to shoot at a specific moment. The fast moving ones are a bit harder to hit.

bargian

May 7, 2017
oki i figured it out, thx for tips

If any1 wonder how hunting works:
- 1st of all there are 3 rows, each with own hitting zones
- shoot at row where the animals are
- shoot when they are crossing hitting zone.

Snow-Shoes

Game Developer
Dec 4, 2016
oki i figured it out, thx for tips

If any1 wonder how hunting works:
- 1st of all there are 3 rows, each with own hitting zones
- shoot at row where the animals are
- shoot when they are crossing hitting zone.
No problem. Sorry if the ingame tutorials aren't very clear. Unfortunately there's a line between improving QoL and Additional Content and it's impossible to satisfy both camps T.T (I'm a solo dev afterall). If you have any other questions, I'll try to answer as soon as I can.

Reactions: Jackbite

comecome

May 27, 2017
No problem. Sorry if the ingame tutorials aren't very clear. Unfortunately there's a line between improving QoL and Additional Content and it's impossible to satisfy both camps T.T (I'm a solo dev afterall). If you have any other questions, I'll try to answer as soon as I can.
Don't appologize, you make good work :)

GadorDev

Jul 20, 2017
my last question is about the stats points, you have to have more points to distribute between conversation, construction and etc or for now and a fixed number

bargian

May 7, 2017
Hej i like some challange ;]
i like your game so far thx, good work

Snow-Shoes

Game Developer
Dec 4, 2016
my last question is about the stats points, you have to have more points to distribute between conversation, construction and etc or for now and a fixed number
Hmm, not quite sure what you're asking Junx. It's "fixed" in the sense that it's 6 skills x 10 per each skill. Unless you mean how to get more stat points...I believe on the initial screen when you start there's a disclaimer saying "additional stat points are gained from leveling up relationships" :oops:. I could maybe put in another tooltip.

Don't appologize, you make good work :)
Hej i like some challange ;]
i like your game so far thx, good work
Thank you for trying/enjoying what's in place so far!

I think, if can actually put what I want to do in-game, it could be really good...but unfortunately it circles back to the time issue. It'd be one thing if I can use my spare time just on development, but I'm a first time dev with only a handful of patrons, building up a following from scratch takes hundreds of hours in itself. The Patreon view count on none release posts are in the 10-20 range :'( (I'm able to reach 1000 when I post on Reddit)...

Anyhow, enough of a soapbox. I just hope you have patience to see the game's growth. If you're satisfied with me, any support (be it feedback, word of mouth, or monetary) is of course appreciated.

GadorDev

Jul 20, 2017
I finally got to unlock the events thanks snow.

I said that it would be the last question but only wanted to know when it released the events it appeared the tents to spend the night with Karen and Senna but it shows nothing only a gray background since you said that there is a scene that can be repeated and anyway .

PS: sorry for bad english I'm Brazilian I'm still studying English so there are some flaws.

Snow-Shoes

Game Developer
Dec 4, 2016
I said that it would be the last question but only wanted to know when it released the events it appeared the tents to spend the night with Karen and Senna but it shows nothing only a gray background since you said that there is a scene that can be repeated and anyway .
Oh sorry, the tent events are planned future content (I'm tying it with Libido). Hoping to finish up other mechanics in 0.4.0 before starting a trainer with repeatable content in 0.5.0+ (think Oni's ). Nothing as elaborate, but I want to do stuff such as outfits, simple animations (fondling), and unique reactions from heroines. Barring disaster, I don't think it'll take me the whole 2 years :coldsweat:.

Zippity

Respected User
Nov 16, 2017
This game just feels like your basic survival micro-management game with a highly repeating and linear character social interaction mechanic... It takes a very long time of repeating this and that to get anywhere, and with all the randomness, the annoying mini-games for the highly needed food and resources, I just eventually got completely bored after a couple hours... I went ahead and posted my review...

Reactions: Snow-Shoes

Snow-Shoes

Game Developer
Dec 4, 2016
This game just feels like your basic survival micro-management game with a highly repeating and linear character social interaction mechanic... It takes a very long time of repeating this and that to get anywhere, and with all the randomness, the annoying mini-games for the highly needed food and resources, I just eventually got completely bored after a couple hours... I went ahead and posted my review...
Fair enough review. You're right in that it's barebones (still there's an exp potion in the recipe that lets you cheat the exp gains) right now, since most of the dev is on making the micro-management part playable. I've been trying to throw the frameworks for a bunch of mechanics in first and the V/N style dialogue->scene for later. That said, you probably won't be locked to grind forever as I do have a development plan for roughly a 40-50 turn playthrough.

This will include:
  • interaction events that'll reward players with various resources (as a alternative to mini-games or spamming searches). Still will be random, but the idea is over the course of a 40-50 turn playthrough you'll encounter ~20 unique events.
  • a trainer system for interactable/repeatable sex events.
  • expanded character dialogue tree to bring the story together.
In theory, the final build should allow for players get by with maybe a dozen forage/hunting. Still, if you absolutely dislike the micromanagement and the art style then I probably can't sway you to revisit. Thank you, regardless.

Reactions: UncleVT

Zippity

Respected User
Nov 16, 2017
Fair enough review. You're right in that it's barebones (still there's an exp potion in the recipe that lets you cheat the exp gains) right now, since most of the dev is on making the micro-management part playable. I've been trying to throw the frameworks for a bunch of mechanics in first and the V/N style dialogue->scene for later. That said, you probably won't be locked to grind forever as I do have a development plan for roughly a 40-50 turn playthrough.

This will include:
  • interaction events that'll reward players with various resources (as a alternative to mini-games or spamming searches). Still will be random, but the idea is over the course of a 40-50 turn playthrough you'll encounter ~20 unique events.
  • a trainer system for interactable/repeatable sex events.
  • expanded character dialogue tree to bring the story together.
In theory, the final build should allow for players get by with maybe a dozen forage/hunting. Still, if you absolutely dislike the micromanagement and the art style then I probably can't sway you to revisit. Thank you, regardless.
I have no qualms with the visuals at all... It just felt like I was spending far too much time doing all the micro-management, and working through the repeating character dialogue, without feeling that rewarded for the time investment... As you just mentioned, it's all a work in progress... The basic game play mechanics seem to work just fine so far, just didn't see the content moving forward very quickly, if at all...

These things are tough to make, and I can tell this one has a laundry list of systems you all plan to put into place... Which I'm sure can feel daunting and will take some time to accomplish... I recommend just keep on trucking, and make it how you want to make it... Maybe, perhaps some time in the future, I might check back on it... Just have to wait and see...

Snow-Shoes

Game Developer
Dec 4, 2016
These things are tough to make, and I can tell this one has a laundry list of systems you all plan to put into place... Which I'm sure can feel daunting and will take some time to accomplish... I recommend just keep on trucking, and make it how you want to make it... Maybe, perhaps some time in the future, I might check back on it... Just have to wait and see...
No worries on the tough critique :). On the bright side, most of what you want will basically be the focus (hopefully) from 0.5.0 on. Just the Crafting branch left to fully implement and the rest will undergo rebalancing and QoL adjustments.

The plan has always been to try and make something a little different in this niche. The micromanagement/gameplay mechanics I hope will attract people searching for that. Sex scenes and dialogue will be reward in the second half of developement.

Reactions: UncleVT and Zippity

Zippity

Respected User
Nov 16, 2017
No worries on the tough critique :). On the bright side, most of what you want will basically be the focus (hopefully) from 0.5.0 on. Just the Crafting branch left to fully implement and the rest will undergo rebalancing and QoL adjustments.

The plan has always been to try and make something a little different in this niche. The micromanagement/gameplay mechanics I hope will attract people searching for that. Sex scenes and dialogue will be reward in the second half of developement.
I edited my review slightly, mostly to show that I thought the character visuals were decent looking, and my plans to possibly revisit the game at a later date, once it's deeper into development...

grapedog

Feb 24, 2018
So, i've played the game until death twice. So I'm just going to post my thoughts.

First, and most importantly, i really enjoyed the game.

Things I ddn't like...
The buildings I don't really understand. So you can only have 3 buildings on each piece of land? I'm not sure why that makes sense. Seems to me you could just have em all built at your camp(wasting action points trying to remember what is built where(if nothing else, maybe there should be a counter somewhere on the buildings menu that says how many of each building you have already created)). There isn't a lot of info about buildings either, about why or when you should build them. I never got a quest to build a desk(that i was aware of at least), I just happened to build an engineering building, i think it was, that then gave me the desk a few turns later, to get Karen to level 4. I think the medical tent is the only one where they were like hey, build me this. I did get another quest from Alicia to build something, but then I died of island fever for my second playthrough... so i don't know what would have happened.

Island Fever, the life points... is there no way to increase them once you catch the island fever, or to get rid of the fever? That is really annoying...especially for a game that is lacking some info, leaving people to figure out the hard way a lot of different mechanics. Perhaps while still being developed, when you LP reach zero, instead of actually ending the game, a pop-up message appears saying "hey, you would have died... but keep playing since we're still working on the game(and then it resets your LP or something)". In general, i personally hate turn caps in games, it's annoying if you want to try different things and decreases for me personally the chances I will play game again.

Direction, there isn't a lot. I did see the messages up by the weather, that do help a little, but perhaps a little more info than just a lot of times seeing "continue normal daily activities" or whatever it says. Then I randomly have to walk around the island, trying to magically catch different characters at different times in different locations. Even something simple like "hey, this character really enjoys the hills".... so it's more likely significant discussions or interactions would happen with that character in the hills. Otherwise it's just a lot of grind trying to work different relationships up, hoping something magical happens. I had Theresa and Charlotte both relationship locked at heart lvl1 for like 50 turns. I couldn't figure out what was required to get them to level up, and then i died of island fever, so i'll never know.

I'm not sure if the recipes thing is finished yet, but i went that route with skill points, and it didn't show me what anyones favorite foods were when i try free cooking. I tried like 9 different times with random combinations and also got nothing. If it isn't working right now, perhaps update the text next to "free cooking" to say not implemented yet so it's more apparent.

I'm also not sure if any special things were included already for searching. i searched a lot and never found a single thing other than normal materials when searching. Perhaps a bit more information could be added to show how the different searching, hunting, foraging and whatnot will affect your different abilities, like condition, escape, and so on.

It would also be nice to have an easier way to know who is wear, or where no one is. It's a pain to check the phone every time. Maybe if the map was a little bigger, and there were character letters/initials/face portraits on the map. Something like that would make the grind less frustrating.

Perhaps for direction, you could add more dialogue to the old lady. Any time you get a character say, above 60 relation, you could go to the old lady and she would give a hint or something like that. For example, Charlotte is at 80 relation, you got to the old lady and she is like..."hey charlotte really like these flowers, that grow by the cliffs, go collect a bunch of them for her", or "charlotte lost her glasses on the coast, try searching the coastal areas like the beach and coast during the day to find her glasses".... that might work along with the weather, to make the game less aimless.

I think on my second play-through, i ended up with Sienna and Karen at relation 4, Theresa and Charlotte locked at 1, couldn't figure out how to progress, Meryl, June and Margaret at 2, Alicia at 1(but was about to unlock but i died(she was having me build something)), Jack at 2, Adam and Naan at 1. (what is the max level available for each character?)

So, all in all, i did really like it, but there are, for me, a bunch of little frustrating things. Thanks for your hard work.

sinrtb

Nov 4, 2017
Patch c fixed my draining health but now i noticed my LP is going down with no way to raise, anyone know the console code to raise it?

Snow-Shoes

Game Developer
Dec 4, 2016
How do I get the next events I have 100 lock hearts and 50+ tension what should I do.
Which events are you working on Jhim?

So, all in all, i did really like it, but there are, for me, a bunch of little frustrating things. Thanks for your hard work.
Thank you for the feedback grape! I posted a about it just today, but I really want to stress that mechanics in the early-implementation stage so things like rebalancing/pacing/alternatives to grind are in future plans. It's not to toot my own horn, but because game isn't a VN and I'm doing the art, there's a lot of added work I have to do that'll take time to iron out.

Patch c fixed my draining health but now i noticed my LP is going down with no way to raise, anyone know the console code to raise it?
Current implementation of LP is just in a placeholder state. I set it to 99 as a countdown variable for everyone to test mechanics, but the tentative goal is to maybe have it tie into the tent events/sex trainer element yet to be implemented.

UncleVT

Låt den rätta komma in
Jul 2, 2017

Last pass on this visual before cranking out work for 0.4.0. I have the week off so hopefully I can get most of my art assets in and see where I have to go from there.
=====

Anyhow, onto visual:

=====

So this is how Karen's neutral posture will be presented (I'm going to have another base for legs spread out and one from behind). So essentially 3 postures x 4 girls in the final build + whatever outfits get added.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

4.00 star(s) 2 Votes