• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

VN Ren'Py Abandoned Kindread: The Redburns [Ch. 5] [Inkalicious]

4.60 star(s) 88 Votes

inkalicious

Game Developer
May 29, 2017
My first shot at a Zombie themed game and I'm liking where it's going.
I've read this complete tread and so far I haven't seen any reference to how dark everything is.
I know it's an Apocalypse but I'm continually wondering when someone is going to turn the lights on. So dark in some places it's almost unwatchable.
Not sure why and I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem.
Appreciate any feedback.
At first I thought you were talking about the story, and I was like "Oh no. If they think this chapter is dark..." But, yeah, sorry that you had difficulty seeing the images.
I have tested this on different machines, including a vey old monitor, so I'd be interested if anyone else found this.

I do think the first hj scene is the darkest it'll ever get. So further night scenes will be lighter, and there will be more candle-illuminated interior scenes.

peemf95

Mar 27, 2018
At first I thought you were talking about the story, and I was like "Oh no. If they think this chapter is dark..."
That sound ominous :(

But, yeah, sorry that you had difficulty seeing the images.
I have tested this on different machines, including a vey old monitor, so I'd be interested if anyone else found this.

I do think the first hj scene is the darkest it'll ever get. So further night scenes will be lighter, and there will be more candle-illuminated interior scenes.
I'm cool with dark since I got this app that can change gamma ;)

Reactions: botc76

Bogan53

Sep 23, 2017
At first I thought you were talking about the story, and I was like "Oh no. If they think this chapter is dark..." But, yeah, sorry that you had difficulty seeing the images.

Thanks for your response. Given what you say, I'll keep an eye on this as it develops because I like where it's going. Hopefully the 'viewability' will improve with time. Cheers :)

Kyril87

Mar 29, 2018
Not keen on zombies but, in spite of myself, I like this game. Nice to see decent graphics, but there is obviously some thought going into the plot. It looks like it shouldn't take long to improve the MC from his starting point of being a shallow, self-obsessed wanker. Take your time and keep up the good work!

inkalicious

Game Developer
May 29, 2017
Not keen on zombies but, in spite of myself, I like this game. Nice to see decent graphics, but there is obviously some thought going into the plot. It looks like it shouldn't take long to improve the MC from his starting point of being a shallow, self-obsessed wanker. Take your time and keep up the good work!
Thanks and glad you gave it a try.
The zombies will be more in the background, once the threat of this world is a bit more established.

And let's hope you're right about the MC.

sakki123

Jan 12, 2018
How much content had already? I'm interested, but if not have so much content, i would like to save and play in the future! XD

inkalicious

Game Developer
May 29, 2017
Any news on the update?
Yeah, it's around a third done ( thanks @sedin ), but I've still a way to go.

Meanwhile, you can see progress updates, and other content, on the development thread.
Here's a link to a recent post (and scroll back if you'd like to see other news, including upcoming characters.)

Reactions: yoyomistro

Deleted member 1044747

Formerly 'decent'
Donor
Nov 27, 2018
This is pretty darn good.
Intriguing, witty, funny - and sexy.

Maybe not the most impressive renders, but I'd consider even that an advantage - a cleaner look would only take away from the apocalyptic atmosphere.
Speaking of which, (restrained use of) music and sound effects would significantly add to the overall atmosphere.

(Im)patiently waiting for more...

inkalicious

Game Developer
May 29, 2017
This is pretty darn good.
Intriguing, witty, funny - and sexy.

Maybe not the most impressive renders, but I'd consider even that an advantage - a cleaner look would only take away from the apocalyptic atmosphere.
Speaking of which, (restrained use of) music and sound effects would significantly add to the overall atmosphere.

(Im)patiently waiting for more...
Thanks for the kind words.

Yeah. I'm still finding my way around HS, but glad the style and colour palette adds to the theme.

With the lack of music/sound effects, it's a mix of personal choice and time.
I personally play these type of games and VNs in silence. Especially when audio can't keep up with my reading speed or I find it too jarring (and a pox on those who stall your progress just so you can hear the full sound effect).

Sourcing and adding sound would also be too time consuming for me. Though I always did like the idea of an ever present zombie droning.

Deleted member 1044747

Formerly 'decent'
Donor
Nov 27, 2018
Well, once you have played a game with fitting music and sound effects, it feels strange to go back to silence, but I get your point that it adds some extra work.

By the way:
Is there any chance for future game versions to support widescreen instead of current 4:3 (?) resolution?
(Edit: Just saw that already being answered in the production thread.)

Reactions: jakek

inkalicious

Game Developer
May 29, 2017
Well, once you have played a game with fitting music and sound effects, it feels strange to go back to silence, but I get your point that it adds some extra work.

By the way:
Is there any chance for future game versions to support widescreen instead of current 4:3 (?) resolution?
(Edit: Just saw that already being answered in the production thread.)
Cool. But worth repeating here.
I'll move a standard Ren'Py format after this volume. So other Kindread volumes will be able to play fullscreen (which I didn't account for in choosing the current format).

Reactions: yoyomistro

inkalicious

Game Developer
May 29, 2017
The beginning of this story is so off-putting with the main character just being a pervert
I'm afraid that's the jumping off point of this story.
Your MC hasn't suddenly discover his feelings for the others, then half-heartedly struggled with those feelings until he accidentally spies them soaped-up in the shower (which is why the obligatory shower scene is dealt with immediately).
You join him when he's horny, frustrated and wants to see some skin, and his judgement has been... questionable. Which could lead him to a lonely and grizzly end. And that's up to you.

Interesting though. He's accused of doing the same stuff that's fairly common in most VNs of this type (spying, creeping, toothbrush molestation etc). Do you feel he's slightly unplayable now, even though you may have made the same choices that led him there?

Let's hope you stick around to see him grow and change.

...No promises he will though.

inkalicious

Game Developer
May 29, 2017
Despite of the MC's questionable actions I think the opening scene is really well made - almost cinematic.
I especially like that the dev actually put some thought into it.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Thanks. And, yeah, on your spoiler comment...

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

4.60 star(s) 88 Votes