4.30 star(s) 3 Votes

whimfu1

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2023
Yeah, figured it out a little bit BEFORE you answered, heh. You should either take this "what in "", or something like that. As it is now, it is a little hard to understand what even is the question.

Now I'm a bit stuck with the song...
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
it should be? Or I just have not discovered enough?

EDIT 01.14 9:55PM : OK, I got my mistake now... I just shoudln't have add
, LOL.
All good, I can see how "!" might seem like part of the song.

harem.king

Aug 16, 2023
All good, I can see how "!" might seem like part of the song.
You should run the input through two functions:
1. strip all symbols. keeping only letters.
2. all to lower caps function.

This will make it vastly easier to parse. If someone writes
"Play it Loud"
"Play it Loud!"
"PLAY IT LOUD"
"play it loud"
and so on they will all work once they have been run through this.

Symbol stripping is also a good idea for preventing bugs.
For example. If someone types their name as Biggus' Dikus
without proper code sanitation the ' symbol can fuck up other things.

whimfu1

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2023
You should run the input through two functions:
1. strip all symbols. keeping only letters.
2. all to lower caps function.

This will make it vastly easier to parse. If someone writes
"Play it Loud"
"Play it Loud!"
"PLAY IT LOUD"
"play it loud"
and so on they will all work once they have been run through this.

Symbol stripping is also a good idea for preventing bugs.
For example. If someone types their name as Biggus' Dikus
without proper code sanitation the ' symbol can fuck up other things.
I have it running through two already. One to remove spaces and another to turn it lowercase. I don't know the command in Ren'py to remove symbols though.

harem.king

Aug 16, 2023
I have it running through two already. One to remove spaces and another to turn it lowercase. I don't know the command in Ren'py to remove symbols though.
Could always write one.
pseudocode said:
string strip_symbols(string input)
{
string retval;
For each character c in input
{
if c contains [a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l,m,n,o,p,q,r,s,t,u,v,w,x,y,z] retval += c;
}
return retval;
}
pseudocode because I am not familiar with python.

JuanokuG4

Dec 26, 2018
very unique style, the music adds nice ambience, and the choice to keep it small with three characters is a nice idea instead of going the other route and shoe horning everyone else because you kinda have to.
so far the only thing i think this needs is a button to tp to the bedroom, a way to tp to the girls, and more uses of the abilities. Oh, and making getting lust less grindy. having flair options that give you 15 is pretty nice, but the 10 affection cost means that it's still quicker to get kisses for the 5 lust for just 3 affection. Maybe that's just the minmaxer in me, tho.
i'll keep an eye out, this looks pretty good

whimfu1

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2023
very unique style, the music adds nice ambience, and the choice to keep it small with three characters is a nice idea instead of going the other route and shoe horning everyone else because you kinda have to.
so far the only thing i think this needs is a button to tp to the bedroom, a way to tp to the girls, and more uses of the abilities. Oh, and making getting lust less grindy. having flair options that give you 15 is pretty nice, but the 10 affection cost means that it's still quicker to get kisses for the 5 lust for just 3 affection. Maybe that's just the minmaxer in me, tho.
i'll keep an eye out, this looks pretty good
Thanks for all the feed back. Keeping the game small and stylized is helping a lot on the solo dev side for sure. I do worry not having all the characters deters a lot of players from trying it out but I'm glad people have been willing to give it a shot.

If I may ask some clarifying questions in regards to your critique. If you don't have the time to respond, I understand and once again thank you for the previous feedback.
  1. I did have plans for a TP to the bedroom button to appear when a world map was opened, so I'll consider adding it to the next update with a WIP map to help with ease of travel. As for the teleport to the heroines, do you think it would be okay to lock this behind the FANTASY lvl 1 power? This would give the power more uses as well as making it feel more earned. I figure Fantasy is pretty easy to unlock and will allow the players to explore the map a little first before being able to jump around quicker. What do you thing?
  2. More uses for the abilities will come in the future but I'm still trying to figure out what power to use for what. Here are some of the plans: Voyeur's invisibility to spy on the heroines sleeping, secretly masturbating, and peeking on housewives in the departments store. Fantasy's general ability to unlock scenes with Lola in the Mirror and to enter people's dreams. And one of the future abilities to be corruption base to expose character's fetishes but it's still early on in the planning. If you have any ideas let me know.
  3. As for the grind of Lust and Affection... I'm very worried about this. There is an intended aspect where Lola will need to drain Lust as a source of food, so I can only see this becoming worse in the future. I'm considering adding other levels of flair that would multiply lust back or introduce a potion seller that could sell temporary potions that could multiply lust back. There's definitely some balance issues, I'm just wondering if these are good solutions in you mind?

JuanokuG4

Dec 26, 2018
Thanks for all the feed back. Keeping the game small and stylized is helping a lot on the solo dev side for sure. I do worry not having all the characters deters a lot of players from trying it out but I'm glad people have been willing to give it a shot.

If I may ask some clarifying questions in regards to your critique. If you don't have the time to respond, I understand and once again thank you for the previous feedback.
  1. I did have plans for a TP to the bedroom button to appear when a world map was opened, so I'll consider adding it to the next update with a WIP map to help with ease of travel. As for the teleport to the heroines, do you think it would be okay to lock this behind the FANTASY lvl 1 power? This would give the power more uses as well as making it feel more earned. I figure Fantasy is pretty easy to unlock and will allow the players to explore the map a little first before being able to jump around quicker. What do you thing?
  2. More uses for the abilities will come in the future but I'm still trying to figure out what power to use for what. Here are some of the plans: Voyeur's invisibility to spy on the heroines sleeping, secretly masturbating, and peeking on housewives in the departments store. Fantasy's general ability to unlock scenes with Lola in the Mirror and to enter people's dreams. And one of the future abilities to be corruption base to expose character's fetishes but it's still early on in the planning. If you have any ideas let me know.
  3. As for the grind of Lust and Affection... I'm very worried about this. There is an intended aspect where Lola will need to drain Lust as a source of food, so I can only see this becoming worse in the future. I'm considering adding other levels of flair that would multiply lust back or introduce a potion seller that could sell temporary potions that could multiply lust back. There's definitely some balance issues, I'm just wondering if these are good solutions in you mind?
alright let's go one step at a time.
the TP coming is nice, and honestly, Fantasy is kinda vague in what it does to help the player, so making it the TP would give it an obvious use and make it probably the handiest one by far. So, yeah, good use of it.
something that i actually like about this is that the girls are a little more forward with the player, but not to the point where it's just talk twice and sex, but if you keep all the abilities as things to use to spy instead of getting them involved it can get a little dull, since it's a lot of buildup with very little pay off. Not saying to add sex NOW, far from it, making it take a while is what makes it rewarding, but make sure that the abilities actually aid with it when it comes to it instead of having all these skills to do all these things except aiding in having sex. It makes it seem shoved in for the sake of having it or not matter to the characters at all.
A way to add the passive lust drain without making it overbearing would be to, I dunno... I guess "feed" Lola directly to stave off the drain? lose some now instead of more later, i mean. Maybe get ways to make it drain less quick? or a passive gain, that'd be nice too. But adding a drain while making getting lust and affection the main thing would give this game an actual gameplay loop, which would be welcome. Just gotta make sure getting affection and lust isn't just grinding for the sake of progressing, because if that's what it turns into then the drain would just be a tedious thing to deal with. Maybe lower the requirements to progress but add some sort of reward or optional thing to spend lust in so you still feel incentivized to get it without NEEDING to grind your ass off to both keep yourself going and also progress.

Happy to see you so receptive to criticism, honestly love the unique style and tone this game has, gives it a very unique personality in contrast to "oh em gee gais, incest, isn't that so unique? we didn't bother adding anything in terms of writing btw". The characters really have a distinct relationship with Lincoln that makes the three options and Lola's dialogue very different and worth actually reading, since their chemistry is just enjoyable. You'd be surprised at how many of them forsake dialogue for having generic horny exchanges with no flavor to them.
Hope this continues getting the good reception it deserves, i was surprised at the quality and detail of it. Good luck with development

• Red Heart
Reactions: whimfu1

whimfu1

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2023
alright let's go one step at a time.
the TP coming is nice, and honestly, Fantasy is kinda vague in what it does to help the player, so making it the TP would give it an obvious use and make it probably the handiest one by far. So, yeah, good use of it.
something that i actually like about this is that the girls are a little more forward with the player, but not to the point where it's just talk twice and sex, but if you keep all the abilities as things to use to spy instead of getting them involved it can get a little dull, since it's a lot of buildup with very little pay off. Not saying to add sex NOW, far from it, making it take a while is what makes it rewarding, but make sure that the abilities actually aid with it when it comes to it instead of having all these skills to do all these things except aiding in having sex. It makes it seem shoved in for the sake of having it or not matter to the characters at all.
A way to add the passive lust drain without making it overbearing would be to, I dunno... I guess "feed" Lola directly to stave off the drain? lose some now instead of more later, i mean. Maybe get ways to make it drain less quick? or a passive gain, that'd be nice too. But adding a drain while making getting lust and affection the main thing would give this game an actual gameplay loop, which would be welcome. Just gotta make sure getting affection and lust isn't just grinding for the sake of progressing, because if that's what it turns into then the drain would just be a tedious thing to deal with. Maybe lower the requirements to progress but add some sort of reward or optional thing to spend lust in so you still feel incentivized to get it without NEEDING to grind your ass off to both keep yourself going and also progress.

Happy to see you so receptive to criticism, honestly love the unique style and tone this game has, gives it a very unique personality in contrast to "oh em gee gais, incest, isn't that so unique? we didn't bother adding anything in terms of writing btw". The characters really have a distinct relationship with Lincoln that makes the three options and Lola's dialogue very different and worth actually reading, since their chemistry is just enjoyable. You'd be surprised at how many of them forsake dialogue for having generic horny exchanges with no flavor to them.
Hope this continues getting the good reception it deserves, i was surprised at the quality and detail of it. Good luck with development
Thank you for the in-depth response. I'm glad you find the story appealing, I've tried to focus on making the girls more memorable since there are less of them. As for your points, I can see how the powers don't seem to have definite effects except unlocking flags. I'll try finding some practical gameplay uses for them. I like the idea of feeding Lola separately, off the cuff, maybe figuring out what kind of sex she likes you can in effect give her "more filling food". A quest system of scenes to achieve during the day for example. However, I still plan to push the drain idea back to not deter new players too soon.

Reactions: JuanokuG4

bolt_risco

Aug 26, 2022
can someone tell me the luna shower code because whenever i try to do the shower puzzle it wont tell me the code ( i finished the game last update and came back to download 0.03)

whimfu1

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2023
can someone tell me the luna shower code because whenever i try to do the shower puzzle it wont tell me the code ( i finished the game last update and came back to download 0.03)
I'm assuming you mean the code you get after peaking at her the first time. I'm trying to add something in to help with checking back for v0.04a.
The song she's singing is

whimfu1

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2023
how do i get lolas power? have passed the mirror bit.
From my understanding, you've passed Leni's first H-scene and can now talk to Lola in the mirror. If that's so, I believe the thing you're missing is translating the book. The spells for sale in Lola's shop can be purchased after solving a corresponding puzzle from the book on the desk in Lincoln's room. Each puzzle needs 3 translation points to solve then you can purchase powers from Lola for 15 Lust points each.

OhhNoo

Apr 12, 2023
First I'd like to congratulate you on a fantastic game. Its short but very enjoyable. The music is amazing. (side note, I'd love to know the source) I also love the graphics and the design. I have some constructive criticism I hope you'll accept. I'm TA for a few college computer science classes so apologies if my my delivery is rather blunt. I'll be writing my feedback in a way similar to that of a graded project.

In the field of computer science usability we have a term "clicks per action" in which we want to reduce the number of clicks a user or player has to make for any given action (aside from mini games and the like). Generally this makes software and games easier to use and less frustrating for the user. In this vein:

There should be a way to skip time from the UI (preferably close to the map) rather from only the room (it doesn't need to give traslation points). As it it now, to find a characer in a specfic location you need to skip time, check the map, then repeat till you find the character in the location you're looking for. For example finding Luna in the garage can be an arduous process taking MANY clicks and could frustrate the user.

It'd improve usability to allow travel by clicking on a room on the map rather than walking, as it significantly reduces the number of clicks per action to get to a specific room. For example, the process of going from your room to the basement is five clicks, which is rather a lot. Generally in the study of usability we aim for a maximum of three clicks per action. In this case those clicks could be "Click on MC for map", "Click left on map to get to basement map", "Click on basement". You could further reduce this by adding a mini map or showing the entirety of the map rather than having to flip through the floors.

Lastly in the UI department is navigation. Generally it's pretty good with only two trouble spots. The first is Rita's room. The navigation between the bathroom and her bed room seems reversed. This is due to a change in perspective via the camera, but it's not obvious to the player. Thus when in the hall, the bathroom is on the left while the bedroom is on the right, but in the bedroom, the bathroom is on the right, opposite of where the user would expect it. It's a contiunity difference. I understand that it's difficult graphically due to the fact that's it's difficult to put a door in a transparent wall; which leads to the change in perspective. Perhaps a shadow of a door could be added? It's a tricky problem but as it is now I'm constantly confusing the two. Generally the foot of a bed is facing the door leading into the bedroom which might also add confusion. It might not be geometrically correct, but I believe it'd be more intuitive for door to the bathroom to be on the left and the door to the hall to be on the right.

The second and last navigational difficulty is the front and backyards. I'm never sure which leads to the front, back, or garage. The change in perspective can be very confusing, but something as simple as adding a path from the front to the right side of the house might help, since there's a matching path on the back side this would help communicate to the user that the garage is there and better communicate the change in perspective. It might help to add shadow of a drive way on the right side of the house as well.

Finally some other smaller usability issues.

When the quest for Luna's music starts the user should be reminded to not only unlock the spell but to also go down to the mirror to buy the spell. I know it was mentioned early in the game but users can easily forget such things. It might also be confusing that the player first needs to unlock the spell, then buy it in a completely different location. This isn't a bad thing, but there should be more guidance. Remember, users/players are idiots and it our job as software/game developers to make things as idiots proof as posable. Adding a reminder after every spell unlocked that the user needs to go to the mirror to buy the spell might also help, or adding detailed hints to unlocking the first spell Voyeur might help this during Luna's music quest.

The shower voyeur scene needs a better randomization algorithm, currently the girl can flicker at unnatural speeds. Suggestion: Rather than having the girl look at random intervals, pick a random number between 0-3 after the player starts looking. I think this will appear more natural. If you'd preer to keep the current setup there should be some sort of limit to how fast the girl can look.

I'm not sure what the fantasy spell is or if it's even implemented. Some hints as to it's use would be great. (or maybe I just skipped over that part?)

And that's it. I think this game as a lot of potential which is why I was so harsh on it. If you need any help lmk.

whimfu1

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2023
First I'd like to congratulate you on a fantastic game. Its short but very enjoyable. The music is amazing. (side note, I'd love to know the source) I also love the graphics and the design. I have some constructive criticism I hope you'll accept. I'm TA for a few college computer science classes so apologies if my my delivery is rather blunt. I'll be writing my feedback in a way similar to that of a graded project.

In the field of computer science usability we have a term "clicks per action" in which we want to reduce the number of clicks a user or player has to make for any given action (aside from mini games and the like). Generally this makes software and games easier to use and less frustrating for the user. In this vein:

There should be a way to skip time from the UI (preferably close to the map) rather from only the room (it doesn't need to give traslation points). As it it now, to find a characer in a specfic location you need to skip time, check the map, then repeat till you find the character in the location you're looking for. For example finding Luna in the garage can be an arduous process taking MANY clicks and could frustrate the user.

It'd improve usability to allow travel by clicking on a room on the map rather than walking, as it significantly reduces the number of clicks per action to get to a specific room. For example, the process of going from your room to the basement is five clicks, which is rather a lot. Generally in the study of usability we aim for a maximum of three clicks per action. In this case those clicks could be "Click on MC for map", "Click left on map to get to basement map", "Click on basement". You could further reduce this by adding a mini map or showing the entirety of the map rather than having to flip through the floors.

Lastly in the UI department is navigation. Generally it's pretty good with only two trouble spots. The first is Rita's room. The navigation between the bathroom and her bed room seems reversed. This is due to a change in perspective via the camera, but it's not obvious to the player. Thus when in the hall, the bathroom is on the left while the bedroom is on the right, but in the bedroom, the bathroom is on the right, opposite of where the user would expect it. It's a contiunity difference. I understand that it's difficult graphically due to the fact that's it's difficult to put a door in a transparent wall; which leads to the change in perspective. Perhaps a shadow of a door could be added? It's a tricky problem but as it is now I'm constantly confusing the two. Generally the foot of a bed is facing the door leading into the bedroom which might also add confusion. It might not be geometrically correct, but I believe it'd be more intuitive for door to the bathroom to be on the left and the door to the hall to be on the right.

The second and last navigational difficulty is the front and backyards. I'm never sure which leads to the front, back, or garage. The change in perspective can be very confusing, but something as simple as adding a path from the front to the right side of the house might help, since there's a matching path on the back side this would help communicate to the user that the garage is there and better communicate the change in perspective. It might help to add shadow of a drive way on the right side of the house as well.

Finally some other smaller usability issues.

When the quest for Luna's music starts the user should be reminded to not only unlock the spell but to also go down to the mirror to buy the spell. I know it was mentioned early in the game but users can easily forget such things. It might also be confusing that the player first needs to unlock the spell, then buy it in a completely different location. This isn't a bad thing, but there should be more guidance. Remember, users/players are idiots and it our job as software/game developers to make things as idiots proof as posable. Adding a reminder after every spell unlocked that the user needs to go to the mirror to buy the spell might also help, or adding detailed hints to unlocking the first spell Voyeur might help this during Luna's music quest.

The shower voyeur scene needs a better randomization algorithm, currently the girl can flicker at unnatural speeds. Suggestion: Rather than having the girl look at random intervals, pick a random number between 0-3 after the player starts looking. I think this will appear more natural. If you'd preer to keep the current setup there should be some sort of limit to how fast the girl can look.

I'm not sure what the fantasy spell is or if it's even implemented. Some hints as to it's use would be great. (or maybe I just skipped over that part?)

And that's it. I think this game as a lot of potential which is why I was so harsh on it. If you need any help lmk.
Thank you for your critique. I'm a little short on time as I'm publishing a lot of posts in regards to the game on my Patreon and DA. However, let me address some of the points you bring up as best I can in the time I have. I'll number them if you wish to respond back but it may be some time till I can get back to you.

1. I believe I know where a lot of the navigation points you bring up are coming from. I am aware of the concept of clicks per action and have tried to implement it where I can. However there is another aspect that does hinder this in regards to the navigation. The clickable map was originally an exact replica of the parody source. When I first started this game I wanted to make it as close to the "house" as possible. This meant Lincoln's room was always at the end of the hall, the basement was only accessible from the kitchen, and Rita's bedroom was facing in a direction that made sense. There are actually several additions I've added to make it more navigable such as: the garage being accessible from the house and removing a dining room too close to the stairs and porch maps. I believe the perspective of Rita's room is fair and I'll look into it. Part of the reason it's angled is so the mini-characters won't overlap with too many objects. As for getting lost, I believe I can add signs on the doors and small icons to the nav arrows to help with that.

2. There is a teleportation currently in the works. After talking to other people it seems a teleport to the girls would be a great help once you understand the house enough. As such, I plan to have the first teleport locked behind the fantasy power which is being represented by the "Wings" of an Incubus. A button to teleport to Lincoln's room will always be available on the world map and I believe adding Lola as a teleport-able character will allow people to jump to the basement without issue. I'm considering locking world travel behind level 1 of fantasy as well making the power solely about travel, maybe changing the power to be called "Flight" would be more apt. What do you think?

3. There are quite a few places I wanted to add tutorial images but it's really just a time thing. I'm doing all the art on my own and sometimes I'm not sure if that will be the final state of things. For instance, I want to move the use of all powers to the app so the player has to walk into a room and cast it from their phone. Letting them test out certain situations: peeping on Luna in the shower, sneaking on Rita while she gardens, ect. However, I haven't made it yet.

4. The shower turn unnatural speed is really just an experience level thing. I originally tried to have a grace period where the character would close their eyes in warning then turn but Ren'py wasn't having it. I want it to be random but from what I could find the "timer" function in Ren'py wasn't handling it well. I haven't figured it out so if you have an idea let me know.

I'm really running out of time right now but feel free to comment back if anything is unclear. And again, thank you for the feedback. It is very helpful and I'm sorry I don't have the time to give it the attention that it deserves.

OhhNoo

Apr 12, 2023
No worries. All the issues I brought up are low priority and not part of the minimum viable product. I definitely don't expect everything to be fixed instantly in the next release. I just figured someone should say it so it's documented somewhere, so that at some point down the line some of them might be addressed. It's a great game and I can imagine it becoming a very popular. Good luck with development!

• Red Heart
Reactions: whimfu1

bolt_risco

Aug 26, 2022
I'm assuming you mean the code you get after peaking at her the first time. I'm trying to add something in to help with checking back for v0.04a.
The song she's singing is
thank you so much i keep doing the mini game but it wouldnt bring up the name after saying it the first time
which was on the later version's and the later versions didnt have use of the code so i never kept it in my head

4.30 star(s) 3 Votes