Ren'Py In a Scent [Domiek] Discussion Thread

johnelros

Apr 10, 2018
1641012745667.png

I hope everyone's enjoying the holidays and are having/had a great new years eve!
I may have been a bit too optimistic with setting the personal deadline of finishing all renders by end of the year, especially with all the holiday related family events and last minute appointments this month. On the other hand, setting an aggressive deadline did set a fire under my ass to get things done. This has resulted in missing this deadline by just a hair. I only have one scene left to setup and render and then in-game content will be completed for episode 1. This should be wrapped up within the next few days.

I'll still have a stockpile of animations to render as well as do post-production for each render, but this is relatively quick compared to setting and posing each individual render.

Ran into some more character issues that will need to be fixed/reworked after episode one. That's the downside of doing things in Blender. Everything was streamlined for ease of use in Daz but in Blender you're on your own and often times find better ways of doing things as you gain more experience. I don't expect this to take up too much time and it will result in better/easier control for manually posing facial expressions. I'll also be adjusting the skin shader for episode 2. What I've done has given great results but I've discovered room for improvement as I rendered in different scenes with different lighting conditions. The shader is still in its infancy but will eventually grow to have custom created controls for things such as tears, WAP, blushing, etc.
Although I expect episode one to be released way before then, I'm putting out a deadline of getting it done by Q1 2022. I'm much more comfortable with under promising and over delivering.

Hope 2022 is a lot better than 2021 for all of you, although that's not really a high bar.
Dom

(RIP Betty White)

johnelros

Apr 10, 2018
1641746779106.png

Renders are done, woo!
Now comes the "fun" part of putting it all together for episode one. Still have the coding, sounds, UI and post-processing left.
My list of shit to fix and redo also continues to grow. Although I spent months learning Blender and preparing the workflow before starting this game, some stuff still goes unnoticed until certain circumstances are met. No worries, it just means that episode 2 will look even better than 1.
This will also be the last render preview I show before release.

Thanks for your patience,
Dom

Terminator_26F

Apr 1, 2019
View attachment 1588404

Renders are done, woo!
Now comes the "fun" part of putting it all together for episode one. Still have the coding, sounds, UI and post-processing left.
My list of shit to fix and redo also continues to grow. Although I spent months learning Blender and preparing the workflow before starting this game, some stuff still goes unnoticed until certain circumstances are met. No worries, it just means that episode 2 will look even better than 1.
This will also be the last render preview I show before release.

Thanks for your patience,
Dom
Keep cool, Domiek, we know your talent! The proverb says "Everything comes at the right time to who knows how to wait". Quality comes at a price, whether in cash or in time. And to see the published renderings, the quality is there !!!

Krynh

Engaged Member
Jan 20, 2020
This time around I'm doing a heavy focus on telling a single story rather than a bunch of different routes with multiple separate women. The ending was written and then I worked my way backwards from there. There will be only one ending but with player input on how the events play out.
So we'll have a proper ending this time rather than whatever happened with Personal Trainer.

DarhkBlu

Apr 19, 2020
To be honest she is good looking but not so much that she needs to be the main love intrest in all the games Domiek makes.

Terminator_26F

Apr 1, 2019
I like girls who have biceps, chocolate bars, and weightlifting thighs, able to kick the ass of every douche who breaks their balls (even if they don't have). Jenna of "Personal Trainer" and Astrid of "Exiles" are perfect examples.

Reactions: JeremyCole300

johnelros

Apr 10, 2018

Getting closer to release. Made a skeleton build to see how the episode feels/flows. This resulted in some changes and a few re-renders and now we're approaching the finish line.

I've decided against adding sound effects for now. I thought I'd fall back on my abilities from a past life of a bedroom music producer to accomplish this, but quickly realized that this knowledge from over a decade ago needs to be relearned. For now, I'm putting together some music to be played instead. I may revisit this topic sometime in the future.

I still need to work on the UI and polish the transitions but the for the most part the episode is playable in a barebone state.

I'll announce a release date once I wrap up the test build.

Dom

johnelros

Apr 10, 2018

An alpha build is almost ready to be sent out to the private testers. Just need to add music and it's ready to go. After the testers give it a go to weed out any critical bugs I may have missed, I'll have the beta ready for the $10 tier.

Episode One release is almost certainly coming by end of month!
Dom

Terminator_26F

Apr 1, 2019

An alpha build is almost ready to be sent out to the private testers. Just need to add music and it's ready to go. After the testers give it a go to weed out any critical bugs I may have missed, I'll have the beta ready for the $10 tier.

Episode One release is almost certainly coming by end of month!
Dom
This is a good news that is enough to make my day ... thanks Dom!