Tutorial Ren'Py How To Create A 'Mac' Version Of Any Ren'Py Game

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

Troy9000

Jun 4, 2020
Good Job OP. Nothing sucks more than Apple users pissing and moaning on every game thread. "Is there a Potato version, if not your game sucks, because I bought a Potato and I'm entitled. I'm using the Mashed OS 9.3 which is not compatible with any other version like the popular Frenchfry OS 10.0, so make the game for my OS." Also port it for HashBrowns 6.0 in case I want to use it on the pad. (that time of the month)
There are users here that appreciate the info, stop bieng an asshole and insulting others , and it's ironic that you call others whiny and bitchy because that sounds like you , be nice to people you'll live a longer life.

Sneak Monkey

Apr 2, 2018
Good Job OP. Nothing sucks more than Apple users pissing and moaning on every game thread. "Is there a Potato version, if not your game sucks, because I bought a Potato and I'm entitled. I'm using the Mashed OS 9.3 which is not compatible with any other version like the popular Frenchfry OS 10.0, so make the game for my OS." Also port it for HashBrowns 6.0 in case I want to use it on the pad. (that time of the month)
You're thinking of Linux, otherwise that'd be quite funny. Apple does predatory animals or just oscure random stuff. Linux does food.

n0xx

Mar 18, 2020
Leaving this here to remind me to check back for a fix

(Win versions of Ren'Py converted to Mac by the old method crash on opening.)

bonchan5893

Feb 15, 2020
I feel like im doing something wrong so downloaded the zip file and then i create a file within the renpy folder and dragged the game folder from the win version into the DMD folder i created but when i click the renpy icon it opens and closes for a second, anyone know if there is a fix or a alternate way

Pistolmax

Dec 25, 2017
I feel like im doing something wrong so downloaded the zip file and then i create a file within the renpy folder and dragged the game folder from the win version into the DMD folder i created but when i click the renpy icon it opens and closes for a second, anyone know if there is a fix or a alternate way
Same issue here

Troy9000

Jun 4, 2020
You're thinking of Linux, otherwise that'd be quite funny. Apple does predatory animals or just oscure random stuff. Linux does food.
A Fortune 500 company with $2 Trillion in the bank and trading at 290 will never be considered "predatory" , Btw , you spelled Obsure wrong.

Troy9000

Jun 4, 2020
I have found it depends on the game. I am assuming you are using Wine? I have gotten some to work while other won't work no matter what I do.
Wine will work unless the .exe is 32 bit , then it wont open no matter what , i have opened many exe files using Wine.

buff

May 29, 2017

Run Windows-based Programs on a Mac

WineBottler packages Windows-based programs snugly into OS X app-bundles. No need to install emulators or operating systems
Might want to add the disclaimer here that these are basically dead from Catalina on, as they rely on Win32 support. :-(

Reactions: Troy9000

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
I think I may need to re-do my packaging for Ren'Py games on MacOS, would someone be willing to set aside 30-60 minutes to test?

Nov 9, 2017
I found a very simple way to run non-Mac Ren'py programs on a Mac.

1) download the
2) Expanded it and put it in the Applications folder (I prefer the one at the user rather than system level)
3) Put any Ren'py program into the folder named "Renpy Games"
4) Launch renpy and update to latest version.
5) The renpy should be in the Projects list on the left hand side
6) Select the program and "Launch Project"
7)Save files are in your personal Library (not system Library) folder.

Reactions: Troy9000 and RPDL

Klinkhamer

Dec 21, 2018
I found a very simple way to run non-Mac Ren'py programs on a Mac.

1) download the
2) Expanded it and put it in the Applications folder (I prefer the one at the user rather than system level)
3) Put any Ren'py program into the folder named "Renpy Games"
4) Launch renpy and update to latest version.
5) The renpy should be in the Projects list on the left hand side
6) Select the program and "Launch Project"
7)Save files are in your personal Library (not system Library) folder.
Regarding Step 3, where is this map? Or where should I put it?

Nov 9, 2017
Regarding Step 3, where is this map? Or where should I put it?
Forget I changed the default directory to make managing the conversion easier.
1) Open the renpy-7.4.8-sdk folder that the dmg created
2)Create folder called Renpy Games (it must be at same level as the renpy program - it is a little cranky about going anywhere else, see picture below if this isn't clear)
3)Launch renpy
5)Click Preferences
6)Click path under Project Directory
7)use the resulting window to select Renpy Games (moving through the directory as needed)
8)Click Return
9) Under Projects click refresh.
10) You are now ready to launch non-mac games (just drag the game into the Renpy Games folder and hit refresh again)
Untitled.png

Last edited:
Reactions: iojjoi

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
Hello all,

I'm looking for a tester to try a few things to help me fix releases on MacOS, would anyone be available and have some time to test a few possible fixes?

Thanks in advance :)

Comandante

Feb 10, 2018
How to create a Mac version:
  1. Download the Ren'Py SDK from here: (click on "Download SDK zip")
  2. Unzip the downloaded zip file
  3. Inside the unzipped folder, create a folder with the game name eg:"DMD" (could be anything else)
  4. Open the newly created "DMD" folder and copy the "game" folder from 'Windows version of the game'
  5. Go back to the root of the Ren'Py SDK folder and double click on renpy.app. If you get a warning, click OK. On the left, under "Projects", select "DMD".
From here, you can just play from within the SDK, just hit "Launch Project" on the bottom right and enjoy!

Alternatively, you can continue and create a standalone version:
  1. Under "Navigate Script", click "Force Recompile" (not sure if this step is necessary, but just to be sure)
  2. When done, under "Navigate Script", click on "Build Distributions". When it loaded, select "Macintosh x86" on the right. Have only that option selected. Then click on "Build" on the bottom right. This will take a while.
  3. Navigate into the "DMD_0.10-dists" folder that got created in the root of the Ren'Py SDK. There, unzip the "DMD_0.10-mac" zip file.
  4. Go into the newly unzipped folder and move "DMD.app" to your /Applications folder. Double click "DMD.app" in the /Applications folder to play. You don't need the Ren'Py SDK anymore, so it is safe to exit and delete it.

Modified - Thanks to Andel for the tutorial

Note: I do not have a MAC,so please let me know in comments if it worked for you and any corrections if needed

-------------------------------
Thanks if95, both ways work like a charm, at least for me. :)

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes