Tutorial Ren'Py How To Create A 'Mac' Version Of Any Ren'Py Game

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

bing6541

Jul 24, 2018
I have a similar problem. Using Renpy-7.3.5-sdk in Big Sur (Mac OS 11.1). Double-clicking gets the renpy icon to appear on my dock for a brief moment, then it disappears. Right-clicking it open does nothing.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
I have a similar problem. Using Renpy-7.3.5-sdk in Big Sur (Mac OS 11.1). Double-clicking gets the renpy icon to appear on my dock for a brief moment, then it disappears. Right-clicking it open does nothing.
What kind of output information do get when you try to run it through Terminal.app?

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
I haven't tried that/was not aware of it. I'll have to play around a bit. Things worked just fine until I upgraded to the latest OS.
possible that it is a permission problem as user buff says in his post above yours. The output message from the terminal might help to narrow it down.

bing6541

Jul 24, 2018
Tried the permission fixer in Terminal following the instructions in that thread. Copied and pasted the result below. Don't know what to do.

Please drag + drop the game you want to fix into the terminal

or copy/paste or type in the path to the app.

chmod -R a+x/Volumes/Lexar/renpy-7.3.5-sdk/renpy.app

Can't find chmod -R a+x/Volumes/Lexar/renpy-7.3.5-sdk/renpy.app! Exiting now

logout

bing6541

Jul 24, 2018
Did that. This happened:

chmod -R a+x /Volumes/Lexar/renpy-7.3.5-sdk/renpy.app

Can't find chmod -R a+x /Volumes/Lexar/renpy-7.3.5-sdk/renpy.app! Exiting now

logout

I may just be stuck with RenPy games formatted for Mac.

buff

May 29, 2017
Can't find chmod -R a+x /Volumes/Lexar/renpy-7.3.5-sdk/renpy.app! Exiting now
That error means that it's attempting to execute the entire thing as a command instead of executing 'chmod' with a list of arguments, so you're doing something strange.

Just open the terminal you'll get to a shell. Paste or type that command verbatim in there. Don't try to do anything clever like use the "run a command" button, or any "terminal helper" thingies.

Nov 9, 2017
If by "Right-clicking it open does nothing" you mean the menu doesn't show up then this may be due to how the Mouse is configured in the control panel. Open up the mouse and make sure the right button is set to "Secondary Button" (the default at least when I got my Mac was it was set to "Primary Button" for both left and right buttons)

bing6541

Jul 24, 2018
If by "Right-clicking it open does nothing" you mean the menu doesn't show up then this may be due to how the Mouse is configured in the control panel. Open up the mouse and make sure the right button is set to "Secondary Button" (the default at least when I got my Mac was it was set to "Primary Button" for both left and right buttons)
No. It means using the right click route to open the app does not open the app.

jetama

Oct 28, 2020
I just make a renpy folder containing all the games that I launch directly through the renpy app. Because you can't run the .exe on a mac on its own I just run it through renpy and it works fine.

bing6541

Jul 24, 2018
I just make a renpy folder containing all the games that I launch directly through the renpy app. Because you can't run the .exe on a mac on its own I just run it through renpy and it works fine.
Yes, I have done that. My issue is that the app won't open from that folder. The app opens fine when it's a Mac download. The app does not open from the folder I've created for PC download conversions to Mac.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Yes, I have done that. My issue is that the app won't open from that folder. The app opens fine when it's a Mac download. The app does not open from the folder I've created for PC download conversions to Mac.
is the "PC download" folder located on an external HDD? Because if you can open RenPy from your Mac download folder, but not from a different folder, then it is a permission issue.

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes