Tutorial Ren'Py How To Create A 'Mac' Version Of Any Ren'Py Game

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

if95

May 3, 2017
How to create a Mac version:
  1. Download the Ren'Py SDK from here: (click on "Download SDK zip")
  2. Unzip the downloaded zip file
  3. Inside the unzipped folder, create a folder with the game name eg:"DMD" (could be anything else)
  4. Open the newly created "DMD" folder and copy the "game" folder from 'Windows version of the game'
  5. Go back to the root of the Ren'Py SDK folder and double click on renpy.app. If you get a warning, click OK. On the left, under "Projects", select "DMD".
From here, you can just play from within the SDK, just hit "Launch Project" on the bottom right and enjoy!

Alternatively, you can continue and create a standalone version:
  1. Under "Navigate Script", click "Force Recompile" (not sure if this step is necessary, but just to be sure)
  2. When done, under "Navigate Script", click on "Build Distributions". When it loaded, select "Macintosh x86" on the right. Have only that option selected. Then click on "Build" on the bottom right. This will take a while.
  3. Navigate into the "DMD_0.10-dists" folder that got created in the root of the Ren'Py SDK. There, unzip the "DMD_0.10-mac" zip file.
  4. Go into the newly unzipped folder and move "DMD.app" to your /Applications folder. Double click "DMD.app" in the /Applications folder to play. You don't need the Ren'Py SDK anymore, so it is safe to exit and delete it.

Modified
- Thanks to Andel for the tutorial

Note: I do not have a MAC,so please let me know in comments if it worked for you and any corrections if needed

-------------------------------

Alternatives:

Run Windows-based Programs on a Mac

WineBottler packages Windows-based programs snugly into OS X app-bundles. No need to install emulators or operating systems

Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac - The fastest, easiest, and most powerful solution for running Windows applications on a Mac—without rebooting.

Hoboy

Jul 24, 2017
One point to add (as I just made this work on my Mac) is to copy the folder that appears in the unpacked app to someplace (I created a folder for it in my Ren'Py games folder called Ren'Py Files) and then run everything from there. Create folders as described, rename and create mac builds, etc.

Thanks all!

hackmaster

Jun 13, 2017
I'm having a bit of a problem. If I download the zip file and activate the renpy app, it opens for a split second then closes. However, if I download the dmg file I can open the renpy app no problem, but I can't copy the game file into the needed area to play it.

fwamp

Jul 29, 2017
I'm having a bit of a problem. If I download the zip file and activate the renpy app, it opens for a split second then closes. However, if I download the dmg file I can open the renpy app no problem, but I can't copy the game file into the needed area to play it.
I have found it depends on the game. I am assuming you are using Wine? I have gotten some to work while other won't work no matter what I do.

Reactions: Phoeniix

fwamp

Jul 29, 2017
Mac native renpy or .exe through wine? Either way my mac book is from like 2011 so I probly have different issues than you do with apps lol

Reactions: Troy9000

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Good Job OP. Nothing sucks more than Apple users pissing and moaning on every game thread. "Is there a Potato version, if not your game sucks, because I bought a Potato and I'm entitled. I'm using the Mashed OS 9.3 which is not compatible with any other version like the popular Frenchfry OS 10.0, so make the game for my OS." Also port it for HashBrowns 6.0 in case I want to use it on the pad. (that time of the month)

BearBears

Black helicopter
Donor
May 3, 2017
I remember I posted a pretty much simple "How to RenPy on macOS with SDK" guide for DoD.

Let's update it for any RenPy game:
1) Download win-based RenPy game.
2) Then download the SDK: (macOS Ren'Py SDK).
3) Run Ren'Py DMG, extract the files.
4) Unzip your game and then put it in Ren'Py folder.
5) Run Renpy.app, refresh your projects list, choose "GAME NAME" and then press "Launch Project".

And that's it. You don't even need to manually create macOS versions. Just use SDK as your "RenPy library".

Enjoy ;)

Limitedoffer

Sep 19, 2017
It does not work for me. I download game. Drag complete game folder into DMD folder.

A TEXTEDIT box appears with
"I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 275, in script
python:
ScriptError: could not find label 'start'.

sonofJDD

Sep 29, 2017
I'm having an issue where the game is badly off-centered to the bottom right when using Wine. Anyone know how to fix it?

esas

Nov 27, 2017
Same problem..

While running game code:
File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 275, in script
python:
ScriptError: could not find label 'start'.

MonteChristo

Nov 20, 2017
All - on a made-for-Mac Renpy game, where are the game's files (e.g., 'common', etc, where the console access toggle is)? Thanks!

Edit: I was able to find it by doing a right-click on the app and selecting "show package content".

Last edited:

nat0902

Aug 6, 2017
Hey. Can anyone post a for idoits guide. I followed all the steps listed but I think there are little steps that most people know that I do not. Like where does wine come into play?

Garnet X

Jun 7, 2017
For some Ren'Py games, you have go back to step one if the latest sdk doesn't work for you. Try downloading the one closest to the game's release date. It takes a bit of hunting to find a working sdk that'll play nicely with your game, and that will fix any UI issues.

For example Demon Master Chris works with renpy 6.15.7 sdk and not the latest, since it breaks somethings(the UI is off centered) and wine-ing it makes the game play kinda chunky, and may have sound issues at least for other Ren'Py games I've tried.

Wine only come in play if using the Ren'Py sdk fail and vise versa, but it's more like a preference thing?

nat0902

Aug 6, 2017
Garnet X thanks for responding. But I still don't quite get it. I try following each step but after I think I have created a project it takes me to a basic intro screen and tells me I haven't written anything. I really am an idiot when it comes to this. I am hoping to find a video or a picture step by step because I don't feel like I am doing it right.

Garnet X

Jun 7, 2017
Ohh.. I think you're trying to make a game in renpy? Maybe play the tutorial game, other wise I can't help you since I haven't try to making my own game in renpy. Tutorial game is suppose to teach you how to use Renpy.

But if you're trying to play a game, then you don't need to create a new project. Extract the renpy game you want to play into the same folder as the Renpy sdk, and it'll show up on the launcher after opening the launcher. If you already have it open, click refresh, select the game and launch project.

RenpyOnMac.png

nat0902

Aug 6, 2017
Yeah, thanks. For whatever reason, it wasn't working on the one I had originally tried. But I tried a different one. It only seems to work on Zip files. Is there anything special to get 7z and rar files to work? (Note or at least I can't get them to work.)

Garnet X

Jun 7, 2017
I've just extract to the folder(see my picture above your post), I haven't try loading from a zip/rar/7z.

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes