Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
So, in one update, I got to witness an Elf orgy of sorts with some of the hottest Elves i've seen in a sex game .... please dev, let us buy that Drow, she must be mine.

Then my euphoria was shot by the inclusion of mega religious girl that managed to annoy nearly everyone in the hotel and me with my hatred of judgmental religious dickheads.

Then my euphoria was completely neutered by Maria not wanting to be together anymore and she's my second fave behind Kali.

Moral of the story, save the Elf orgies for last in future so I can end on a high note.

Soooo, that Drow, she'd totally make it up to me.

random.person

Aug 11, 2017
So, in one update, I got to witness an Elf orgy of sorts with some of the hottest Elves i've seen in a sex game .... please dev, let us buy that Drow, she must be mine.

Then my euphoria was shot by the inclusion of mega religious girl that managed to annoy nearly everyone in the hotel and me with my hatred of judgmental religious dickheads.

Then my euphoria was completely neutered by Maria not wanting to be together anymore and she's my second fave behind Kali.

Moral of the story, save the Elf orgies for last in future so I can end on a high note.

I'm sure it'll all turn out ok on those other fronts too.

Luckily, I still have to play the elf orgy scene =P

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
yep, ppl could say that they dislike or even hate her as much as they want but i doubt they could resist when she's look directly to ur screen like this
I think you are both correct, she both naive and deluding herself. She is naive about some things, like sex for example, and she is willfully ignorant (ignoring reality) when it comes to the elves. In both cases, she is in dire need of an education (whether my conjecture on her origin is correct or not).
Due to this, and my odd background, I don't mind her as much, also I can see both of these problems will get corrected as her path progresses. Also, I am just really curious in her story and what more it can tell us about this world and it's past. Not only have I spent a large part of my life studying (and arguing against) world religions, but I am a lore geek. :geek:
But now let's drop the real bomb:
WHO BEST GURL?
For me? Probably Kali, with Maria and Lin a close second. Of course this depends on if we are talking the main girls, or if we include side characters. Juliet, the drow (I am assuming part of her story will be getting her real name as she learns the language and to trust us), Sui, Lucy, and Ashley's mom all interest me too.
I'm sure it'll all turn out ok on those other fronts too.
Luckily, I still have to play the elf orgy scene =P
'Orgy' is a bit of an overstatement, but it's certainly interesting. ;)

Reactions: passerbyR34

rogue886

Aug 21, 2017

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
First i played 0.5.2 normal version and it was ok then i downloaded 0.5.3 compressed and i have some black backgrounds on it.
Seems like that settles it then. The compressed version is too compressed, and ruins the images.

Since you don't know much about programming I'll correct all of your incorrect statements.

• Decompiling Ren'Py games is really easy with UnRen. I do it all the time.
Harem Hotel uses the latest version of Ren'Py which is currently 7.1.3. UnRen doesn't support this version of Ren'Py so there are many lines of code that it cannot decompile. You should know this, LOL. I had to manually decompile lines of code throughout the various rpyc files. This is beyond the skills of 99% of players on this site. You cannot recompile Harem Hotel from what Unren gives you, it will not recompile due to too many errors (lines of code it can't decompile).
I've used unren to decompile all of Harem Hotel's scripts. I've had friends do it so they could look into my code. Modders do it to mod the code. I just tested it out right now. It works, and it took me 5 seconds.

• Python is a legitimate high-level scripting language. Ren'Py is built on top of Python, which gives you the ability to do ANYTHING. I say this as a c++ and Python programmer, who knows just a little about Ren'Py.
Yes python is a legitimate high-level scripting language. Just because Ren'Py is built on top of python doesn't mean it was done well or fully featured. Python doesn't allow you to do anything. It is a scripting language, not a programming language. There is a big difference. Name a AAA gaming company who releases PC titles written primarily using python, LOL!

Ren'Py is a terrible platform to code in. Unless you want a pure visual novel style game, authors have to "go around" Ren'Pys many limitations in order to add RPG style elements to their games (primarily using python). It is also very difficult to do structured programming in Ren'Py because it was never designed to be much more than a scene player.

Most AAA title games are written in one of the C languages - C, C++, Visual C++, C sharp, etc. with added language and engine support. There are some gaming engines out there that are developed enough to do a lot of the programming inside of the gaming engine. Good luck creating a good 3D shooter in python, LOL! Name a single AAA title $50 - $60 game and I'll believe you (using python as the main programming language), lol!
I would say Python is indeed a high level scripting language, at least, it can be. But why would you use it? If you're going to teach a programming language, teach C++. It's the best one you could possibly go for and allows you to do the most out of every language.

But beginning with C++ is a really bad idea. It's far too complicated. Starting with C# would be the best idea, or even Python and Java.

Regardless of this Python talk, Renpy barely uses any sort of coding. It's 90% dialog. And even then, Renpy locks a lot of Python uses out, I believe.

A quick google search of "games coded in python" brought up two notable games. Battlefield 2, and Sims 4. I have no clue how much of those games are coded in python, so maybe that's useless knowledge.

random.person

Aug 11, 2017
Since you don't know much about programming I'll correct all of your incorrect statements.

• Decompiling Ren'Py games is really easy with UnRen. I do it all the time.
Harem Hotel uses the latest version of Ren'Py which is currently 7.1.3. UnRen doesn't support this version of Ren'Py so there are many lines of code that it cannot decompile. You should know this, LOL. I had to manually decompile lines of code throughout the various rpyc files. This is beyond the skills of 99% of players on this site. You cannot recompile Harem Hotel from what Unren gives you, it will not recompile due to too many errors (lines of code it can't decompile).

• Python is a legitimate high-level scripting language. Ren'Py is built on top of Python, which gives you the ability to do ANYTHING. I say this as a c++ and Python programmer, who knows just a little about Ren'Py.
Yes python is a legitimate high-level scripting language. Just because Ren'Py is built on top of python doesn't mean it was done well or fully featured. Python doesn't allow you to do anything. It is a scripting language, not a programming language. There is a big difference. Name a AAA gaming company who releases PC titles written primarily using python, LOL!

Ren'Py is a terrible platform to code in. Unless you want a pure visual novel style game, authors have to "go around" Ren'Pys many limitations in order to add RPG style elements to their games (primarily using python). It is also very difficult to do structured programming in Ren'Py because it was never designed to be much more than a scene player.

Most AAA title games are written in one of the C languages - C, C++, Visual C++, C sharp, etc. with added language and engine support. There are some gaming engines out there that are developed enough to do a lot of the programming inside of the gaming engine. Good luck creating a good 3D shooter in python, LOL! Name a single AAA title $50 - $60 game and I'll believe you (using python as the main programming language), lol!
Unren doesn't have trouble with that specific version of Ren'Py per se. The point is that unren uses rpatool and unrpyc and one of those, unrpyc if I am not mistaken, hasn't yet be updated (at least the last time I looked it up) for a specific feature of the latest Ren'Py versions. The only problem is thus the usage of a specific and optional feature, layered images. If the game doesn't uses it, then unrpyc will work just fine and unren a fortiori.
If and when unrpyc will be updated to support the new feature, it will simply be a matter of using the new version in unren.

Seems like that settles it then. The compressed version is too compressed, and ruins the images.

I've used unren to decompile all of Harem Hotel's scripts. I've had friends do it so they could look into my code. Modders do it to mod the code. I just tested it out right now. It works, and it took me 5 seconds.

I would say Python is indeed a high level scripting language, at least, it can be. But why would you use it? If you're going to teach a programming language, teach C++. It's the best one you could possibly go for and allows you to do the most out of every language.

But beginning with C++ is a really bad idea. It's far too complicated. Starting with C# would be the best idea, or even Python and Java.

Regardless of this Python talk, Renpy barely uses any sort of coding. It's 90% dialog. And even then, Renpy locks a lot of Python uses out, I believe.

A quick google search of "games coded in python" brought up two notable games. Battlefield 2, and Sims 4. I have no clue how much of those games are coded in python, so maybe that's useless knowledge.
I'd say that to learn programming the best way is to start with either assembly or C. But I'm biased because my programming education has been done in C and I just love assembly.
My rational argument is that to program you first need to know how the machine works and why certain layers of abstraction exist. C teaches you that. I think it's educational to go insane for a year or two with pointers to pointers to pointers (real life example of a matrix computation program of mine, lol), string shenanigans and bitwise operations. Then you get a clear picture of what the machine needs to do stuff that appears oh so simple in our GUIs and you learn some basic algorithms, like quicksort, that give you an insight as to what is actually hard to pull off in programming and what the trade offs are (CPU, RAM, hdd memory).
Then it's kind of easy to migrate to more recent programming languages and deal with object oriented stuff (if one must do so, I abhor that stuff, I prefer my pointers and structs). At that point one should know enough to realize how they want to get stuff done and which stuff.

Assembly in my opinion though is the only way to really understand what the fuck is going on on our machines. Not saying to code big stuff in pure assembly, but some experience with it would teach a thing or two about memory management to anyone.
Stack, heap, processor stuff cannot be understood at higher levels.
Learning about this stuff in my opinion also teaches you what can go wrong and all kinds of attacks on unsanitized input.

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
Unren doesn't have trouble with that specific version of Ren'Py per se. The point is that unren uses rpatool and unrpyc and one of those, unrpyc if I am not mistaken, hasn't yet be updated (at least the last time I looked it up) for a specific feature of the latest Ren'Py versions. The only problem is thus the usage of a specific and optional feature, layered images. If the game doesn't uses it, then unrpyc will work just fine and unren a fortiori.
If and when unrpyc will be updated to support the new feature, it will simply be a matter of using the new version in unren.

I'd say that to learn programming the best way is to start with either assembly or C. But I'm biased because my programming education has been done in C and I just love assembly.
My rational argument is that to program you first need to know how the machine works and why certain layers of abstraction exist. C teaches you that. I think it's educational to go insane for a year or two with pointers to pointers to pointers (real life example of a matrix computation program of mine, lol), string shenanigans and bitwise operations. Then you get a clear picture of what the machine needs to do stuff that appears oh so simple in our GUIs and you learn some basic algorithms, like quicksort, that give you an insight as to what is actually hard to pull off in programming and what the trade offs are (CPU, RAM, hdd memory).
Then it's kind of easy to migrate to more recent programming languages and deal with object oriented stuff (if one must do so, I abhor that stuff, I prefer my pointers and structs). At that point one should know enough to realize how they want to get stuff done and which stuff.

Assembly in my opinion though is the only way to really understand what the fuck is going on on our machines. Not saying to code big stuff in pure assembly, but some experience with it would teach a thing or two about memory management to anyone.
Stack, heap, processor stuff cannot be understood at higher levels.
Learning about this stuff in my opinion also teaches you what can go wrong and all kinds of attacks on unsanitized input.
I don't think I've ever heard of Assembly. Sounds interesting.

Reactions: TheDevian

random.person

Aug 11, 2017
I can't decide. They all have their positive sides and negative sides, and they all are different and unique and that's what makes them all the best girls.
Guys, we found the bard!

It's basically a little higher level than machine code. Its main problem is that every chip has its own set of assembly instructions.
The most common chip on PCs is the x86, on mobile I think it's ARM, so two different instruction sets for those for instance, which is one of the reasons programming has long moved away from it: it's not cross platform.
People who still do assembly usually run programs on very limited resources, embedded systems, IoT and stuff. It's also used alongside with C in kernel programming. Its most common use is probably to squeeze out efficience in critical parts of the code when resources matter.
Otherwise I suggest it only for learning purposes. Definitely not for game making (unless you're that absolute madman who wrote Roller Coaster Tycoon 99% in assembly).
Disclaimer: I am a total noob when it comes to assembly so take everything with a grain of salt!

aolli

Nov 15, 2018
But now let's drop the real bomb:
WHO BEST GURL?
Felicity, hands down.

C# is a pretty good language to start with, i agree. But once you get a handle on one language, it gets easier to pick up more. However once you get into C/C++ you have to deal with pointers which are just terrible and make me want to die

Assembly also makes me want to die.

random.person

Aug 11, 2017
Felicity, hands down.

C# is a pretty good language to start with, i agree. But once you get a handle on one language, it gets easier to pick up more. However once you get into C/C++ you have to deal with pointers which are just terrible and makesme want to die

Assembly also makes me want to die.
And that's why they're beautiful!

Also, it's easier to go from having to deal with pointers and memory management to not having to than vice versa. At least in my opinion.
Going from a lower level of abstraction to a higher one is usually simple learning-wise, you just need to learn some methods and you're good. Doing the opposite forces you to learn stuff that's been hidden away by abstraction, that's why I think it's educational to start there. See the cruel reality of how our machines work, then find the level at which you are most comfortable operating at.
You don't care about system resources and just want dank web applications? Go for Typescript (way better than the typeless mess of Javascript and after all it compiles to the latter anyway). Do you want to participate kernel development? C. Do you want to code games from the ground up? C++. Are you in love with Microsoft and their bloated framework? C#. And so on. But starting from the ground up, that is to say, from at least C-level, remains a valuable lesson.

Just don't do Java. It's heinous. With its filthy Java Virtual Machine and its ugly code.

But I guess I derailed the thread with programming enough, lol.

Going back to best gurls, I have a hard time choosing.
I like Lin a lot, she's kind of my type and an absolute cutie. But I also can relate a lot to Ashley, so I end up feeling a lot of affection for her, even though not on a romantic level.

Worst grill: Felicity.
Stuck up self-important bitch.

Deleted member 216358

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 24, 2017
Yes, they can decompile it and look at the code but that doesn't mean that it will recompile without errors. You are missing the whole point. You need to look at the error log file with all the lines of code UnRen couldn't successfully decompile. You didn't do that either, you just decompiled Harem Hotel using UnRen and assumed everything was fine. Like I said earlier, it won't recompile with what UnRen gives you.

I don't know why you attempt to disagree with nearly everything I say. Just because I don't agree with 100% of the things you do (like your lap dogs Maim Lain and aolli) doesn't mean that I don't support you or the game. I did give it a 5 star rating.

Those two game you mentioned weren't written in python either. They use it for script support which is a far cry from it being used as the main programming language.

aolli

Nov 15, 2018
And that's why they're beautiful!

Also, it's easier to go from having to deal with pointers and memory management to not having to than vice versa. At least in my opinion.
Going from a lower level of abstraction to a higher one is usually simple learning-wise, you just need to learn some methods and you're good. Doing the opposite forces you to learn stuff that's been hidden away by abstraction, that's why I think it's educational to start there. See the cruel reality of how our machines work, then find the level at which you are most comfortable operating at.
You don't care about system resources and just want dank web applications? Go for Typescript (way better than the typeless mess of Javascript and after all it compiles to the latter anyway). Do you want to participate kernel development? C. Do you want to code games from the ground up? C++. Are you in love with Microsoft and their bloated framework? C#. And so on. But starting from the ground up, that is to say, from at least C-level, remains a valuable lesson.
You have good point about going from low level to high level being easier, I started in C# and went to C and I can't stand things like pointers, but if you never want to do registary level programming or anything like that then you might as well start high level.

Worst grill: Felicity.
Stuck up self-important bitch.
485984402434949130.png
Felicity best girl.

Runey

Harem Hotel
Game Developer
May 17, 2018
Yes, they can decompile it and look at the code but that doesn't mean that it will recompile without errors. You are missing the whole point. You need to look at the error log file with all the lines of code UnRen couldn't successfully decompile. You didn't do that either, you just decompiled Harem Hotel using UnRen and assumed everything was fine. Like I said earlier, it won't recompile with what UnRen gives you.

I don't know why you attempt to disagree with nearly everything I say. Just because I don't agree with 100% of the things you do (like your lap dogs Maim Lain and aolli) doesn't mean that I don't support you or the game. I did give it a 5 star rating.
You mentioned Unren didn't work. I decompiled it, and it worked. I didn't do anything other than that because I had always assumed decompiling worked until you said otherwise. When I tested it, and it worked, I responded saying it worked.

I don't know about recompiling, and I don't know what it doesn't decompile. But I do know Unren did in fact decompile the script. I didn't mention anything else because I didn't know about anything else. You claimed Unren didn't work because Renpy was 7.1.3 and Unren didn't support 7.1.3. But like I said, I've tested it, friends have tested it, modders have tested it, and decompiling the script had always worked. I'm sure you can understand my confusion when someone, a modder, claimed it didn't work.

I did assume everything was fine. I had no reason to not assume that because again, you claimed it didn't work, and when I tested it, it did.

I believe there's a communication gap between you and I. When you say things that aren't clear to me, I respond. I'm also seeing a trend of finding a middle ground once everything has been clarified, like with the event system (I think it was?) last time, and this time. Just because there's a disagreement doesn't mean there's hatred.

I have no reason to assume you're wrong on the recompiling/error thing UnRen has because you've done it more than I have. I simply said UnRen does decompile the script. I found it odd that you had mentioned it doesn't work when I use Unren all the time. Now I understand that you meant it doesn't recompile correctly, or something like that.

Disagreements aren't insulting unless you take it as insulting. In my response, my goal was to shed some light on Unren you may have been wrong about. In your response, you shed light on the things I didn't know. Now we both know more.

What is insulting though, is assuming everyone who doesn't agree with you without protest is on "another side" or the "other". I'm not on a team, but they are my friends.

To end my response, yes, I was missing the whole point. I didn't understand that you were saying it doesn't recompile, not that it doesn't decompile. Now that you've clarified, I understand. But you don't need to be defensive when someone disagrees with you. Correct me, and inform me. As I have attempted to do with you.

4.70 star(s) 443 Votes