Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Saving Chloe is basically a harem game, just in a very roundabout way.
How so?

The girls all have their own love lives, the only girls available in Saving Chloe are Chloe, the girl the MC works with and the blind girl if the mission fails and they all have solo endings.

There is 1 scene where Chloe gives the MC dream sex with the other girls but they are clones made by Elsa.

There is also a 4some with Xara, Miranda and Miranda's fella but she still goes back with him.

There is no way of taking the girls away from the guys they are with.

The game is made to fuck all these girls(except maybe the ones that have already been protagonists) it just lacks a harem route.
No it isn't.

If you start fucking around you are doing it wrong. It's supposed to be a date sim and i'm pretty sure trying to fuck the girls available fails the mission and her dad gets away.

• Angry
Reactions: Gavrilo Princip

moskyx

Engaged Member
Jun 17, 2019
How so?

The girls all have their own love lives, the only girls available in Saving Chloe are Chloe, the girl the MC works with and the blind girl if the mission fails and they all have solo endings.

There is 1 scene where Chloe gives the MC dream sex with the other girls but they are clones made by Elsa.

There is also a 4some with Xara, Miranda and Miranda's fella but she still goes back with him.

There is no way of taking the girls away from the guys they are with.

No it isn't.

If you start fucking around you are doing it wrong. It's supposed to be a date sim and i'm pretty sure trying to fuck the girls available fails the mission and her dad gets away.
No, fucking all available girls is simply impossible. Your choices lock you out of their paths one by one. That's why it can't be considered an harem game, since you just can't have a relationship with more than one girl in any given playthrough except for Chloe & Serena

Reactions: The Sailor Man

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
No, fucking all available girls is simply impossible. Your choices lock you out of their paths one by one. That's why it can't be considered an harem game, since you just can't have a relationship with more than one girl in any given playthrough except for Chloe & Serena
Right...

I've only ever done Chloe and Xara's routes but i'm pretty sure you can fuck Selena while on Chloe's and Xara's route doesn't start until later on and fails the mission.

Xara's route also has the foursome with Miranda and Chloe's has the dream clone orgy at the end.

I didn't mention anything about a harem, they have never made a harem game afaik.

The Star Wars game Mortze made has multiple I's but I don't think it's possible to get them all. It's one of the reasons I love their games, harems always look ridiculous.

• Angry
Reactions: Gavrilo Princip

phupdup

Oct 24, 2019
Not sure if I'm a fan of gating the juicy bits behind a convoluted score check.

Code:
    def FMCalcScore():
        score = 0

if fm_introvert and fm_regretful:
            score = fm_intro + fm_regret
        elif fm_introvert and not fm_regretful:
            score = fm_intro + fm_comfort
        elif not fm_introvert and fm_regretful:
            score = fm_extro + fm_regret
        else: # not fm_introvert and not fm_regretful 
            score = fm_extro + fm_comfort

return score + fm_mir
What if the MC was schizo, and the voices in his head are out to cock block him?

YojiSaito

Jan 31, 2021
Is there a reason Malewarebytes flag this as "Maleware.Ransom.Agent.Generic" for the Windows exe ?

Or is it just a stupid false positive ?

1st time ive had anything flagged from this site.

Tlaero

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2018
Not sure if I'm a fan of gating the juicy bits behind a convoluted score check.

What if the MC was schizo, and the voices in his head are out to cock block him?
We can discuss whether I should be making "games" or not. It would certainly be easier to tell stories without user choices, but those would unquestionably not be "games." And, I'll argue that if your choices don't have any effect, they're not actually choices.

Therefore, if I'm going to make a "game" then there has to be consequences for playing it "badly." In every other game I've done, that consequence was a "game over" scene before you got to the sex scene. But there were people who told me that, in some of the earlier games, especially Redemption for Jessika, they liked the story so much that they wanted to continue with it even if it didn't give them a sex scene.

So I tried something different in this game. Rather than make the consequence for playing badly be a game over, I made it be you missing the sex scene. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

It wasn't.

I got very little feedback that anyone liked this way of doing things, and plenty of feedback that people didn't. So I haven't used this mechanism again in any of the games that have followed this one.

Personally, I don't completely grok why a game over is better, but that's okay.

Tlaero

Reactions: Incognitoguy

Tlaero

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2018
Is there a reason Malewarebytes flag this as "Maleware.Ransom.Agent.Generic" for the Windows exe ?

Or is it just a stupid false positive ?

1st time ive had anything flagged from this site.
It's just a standard Renpy game. It's literally the same build as the Renpy versions of DwE and RfJ. If they didn't give you the same error, I don't know why this one would.

Tlaero

Tlaero

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2018
It's one of the reasons I love their games, harems always look ridiculous.
:love:

I'm sure there's no full consensus on the meaning of "harem." I'm sure some people think of it as, "You can have sex with many of the girls in the game." If that's the definition, it can apply to some of my games. Personally, though, what makes a game "harem" to me is that the story comes up with a reason that you can have sex with many of the girls in the game in one playthrough. That is hard to pull off, in my opinion, because it limits the ability for the relationships to be meaningful.

It's definitely possible to find a person who is willing to share you with someone else. It's probably doable to have you find two people like that. But if most of the women in the game are okay with it, it stretches credibility for me. There are games that do it passably well, but as you pointed out, those types of stories aren't the ones I want to tell.

Tlaero

Reactions: AL.d

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
I'm sure there's no full consensus on the meaning of "harem." I'm sure some people think of it as, "You can have sex with many of the girls in the game." If that's the definition, it can apply to some of my games.
It's usually the ending of harem games I find really silly.

Having sex with multiple people isn't an issue, i'm sure many people do that on a regular basis. It's those that have 1 guy and a huge group of women that don't want anyone else and only ever want him and they live by a conveyer belt system when he tries to fit the women in when he can.

Those look utterly ridiculous to me.

I know people enjoy them but they aren't for me.

nininain

Oct 5, 2017
It's usually the ending of harem games I find really silly.

Having sex with multiple people isn't an issue, i'm sure many people do that on a regular basis. It's those that have 1 guy and a huge group of women that don't want anyone else and only ever want him and they live by a conveyer belt system when he tries to fit the women in when he can.

Those look utterly ridiculous to me.

I know people enjoy them but they aren't for me.
i share your opinion but i would like to point out an exception : the last sovereign

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
i share your opinion but i would like to point out an exception : the last sovereign
Can't really count that one because Simon is pretty much a literal sex god that needs his harem for power and release.

Can't really compare the Incubus Kings with your average Joe that has 30 lovers, one for every day of the month for .... reasons.

nininain

Oct 5, 2017
Can't really count that one because Simon is pretty much a literal sex god that needs his harem for power and release.

Can't really compare the Incubus Kings with your average Joe that has 30 lovers, one for every day of the month for .... reasons.
Exactly: and that's the proof that you can make a plausible harem game with imagination and writing skills, and that the games you describe are just one overused kind of harem game that demand none of thoses skills.
because let's face it: the majority of the games you'll find here are made by good developers, not good writers.

caxhub

Engaged Member
Aug 22, 2019
this is an unofficial android port Finding Miranda [Final] APK -

Tlaero

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2018
Exactly: and that's the proof that you can make a plausible harem game with imagination and writing skills, and that the games you describe are just one overused kind of harem game that demand none of thoses skills.
because let's face it: the majority of the games you'll find here are made by good developers, not good writers.
The question is, do people who want harem games really want good writing, or do they just want to play games where the MC has sex with a lot of women? As you two have pointed out, most harem games are ridiculous, but that doesn't stop people from asking for them on pretty much every game thread. And you rarely see people on harem game threads asking for a more believable story.

Tlaero

Tlaero

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2018
That said, I'll call out two that do it pretty well.

What a Legend is a game with a lot of humor that doesn't take itself too seriously. It's harem, but the main character is a sweetheart, and it's working so far. That said, there are a lot of women in the game, and we've only gotten serious with a few of them up to the current release. I have a lot of faith in the developers, but I suspect that, as we add romantic entanglements, the excuses for why it's okay will start to stretch credibility. The game is so high quality, though, that I'll most likely turn a blind eye to that and still enjoy it.

Mist is kind of a mixed bag with strong highs right beside deep lows. The writer thought through the harem aspect of it, and it works, but, as of the time I played it, it was only with 3 women.

So, I guess my takeaways are:
1) small "harems" can work
2) if there's enough quality in the rest of the game, developers can get away with more on the "harem" front

Tlaero

moskyx

Engaged Member
Jun 17, 2019
That said, I'll call out two that do it pretty well.

What a Legend is a game with a lot of humor that doesn't take itself too seriously. It's harem, but the main character is a sweetheart, and it's working so far. That said, there are a lot of women in the game, and we've only gotten serious with a few of them up to the current release. I have a lot of faith in the developers, but I suspect that, as we add romantic entanglements, the excuses for why it's okay will start to stretch credibility. The game is so high quality, though, that I'll most likely turn a blind eye to that and still enjoy it.

Mist is kind of a mixed bag with strong highs right beside deep lows. The writer thought through the harem aspect of it, and it works, but, as of the time I played it, it was only with 3 women.

So, I guess my takeaways are:
1) small "harems" can work
2) if there's enough quality in the rest of the game, developers can get away with more on the "harem" front

Tlaero
You should try Superheroes Suck. Small harem and a reasonable quality in story and writting

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
If that's the one with the cabin in the mountain surrounded by the monster filled mist, I tried it once and didn't get very far in.

The MC was just such a slimy creep it was awkward to read.

Tlaero

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2018
Yeah. Pretty much every aspect of the game has strong positives mixed in with strong negatives. In almost the first scene, the MC sees a woman being attacked by a monster, and he stops to lust after her (seriously?). But, then, there are multiple places where the writer goes out of his way to make the eventual romance consensual.

Similarly, the characters both deal with some heavy issues, but also act nonsensically. The backgrounds are great, but the characters are stylistically different than those backgrounds. Etc.

I got into it, though, and enjoyed it.

Tlaero

Reactions: Alfius

jrwizzard

Sep 4, 2020
if you want a fap fest, skip Tlaero's / mortze's games. If you want a brilliant story backed up with great graphics. Just start playing. But to be fair, if you never played any of the previous games, i would first start with those. Dreaming with Elza and Redemptionm for Jessika
What order do i play them, I cant find anywhere that tells me... is it:
Dreaming with Elza
Redemption for Jessia
Finding Miranda
?

4.00 star(s) 2 Votes