VN Ren'Py Abandoned Faction Paradox [v0.4] [AlistairV]

3.00 star(s) 2 Votes

DigitalFire

Aug 20, 2017
I don't really like the games without animations but I liked the artwork and slave-training is a huge turn-on for me. I'm gonna let the content build up as I do with every new project or demo before trying it out.
P.S.: As long as you come up with cute slaves, most people won't give a F about the original companions.

Qwasar

Apr 20, 2017
This is what happened:
Title caught me and opened the page.
I read the description and am intrigued.
I looked at the changelog.
First thought: too much shit to be just a patched version of a 1.0
Second thought: read the comments -> comments say it's like a tech demo
Goodbye (see ya when the time lords will say it's a good time)

AlistairV

Game Developer
Jan 21, 2018
Why do we have to sit through the audio every time we need to travel? It locks the screen too, so we can't simply skip this process which will constitute a good chunk of a every player's time. The third time I had to switch locations, I got fed up with the waiting. Please take it out.
This is just an early release. I can't stress this enough, I've simply released 2 builds since I began this project. Don't expect things that are there now to be there within a month, I will change all the mechanics as time goes on.

This project has real potential but the flight controls is a complete mess, the developer fell in the same trap that so many others do of wanting add "game mechanics" when in fact there is absolutely not a single interesting thing about these "mechanics", it's just trite and annoying. There is no good reason to not just go straight to a location by selecting it directly, no one is interested in whovian technobabble if it's going to be this much of a bother.

If that is streamlined though I could see this going far. I'd love to see it develop into a harem collector.
Fair enough, as I said above I'll change the styles in the next update to make things optional. This is just an early release so take things slowly with a grain of salt.

Alright, I have nothing against sound in game, but I really hate when it want to force me to listen to its music instead of mine, especially in the middle of dark side of the moon. And that's what your game do, so please correct this in the next version. There's two possibilities :

Thanks in advance.
Haha cheers mate, I appreciate the tip. I know how to structure my channels though, I just felt it appropriate for the situation.
That said, why would you listen to such music inside the Tardis??!

This is what happened:
Title caught me and opened the page.
I read the description and am intrigued.
I looked at the changelog.
First thought: too much shit to be just a patched version of a 1.0
Second thought: read the comments -> comments say it's like a tech demo
Goodbye (see ya when the time lords will say it's a good time)
Renpy defaults version numbers to 1.0, rather than setting it to 0.0.1a like a ton of games do, I decided to do it a different way. This is a hobby project I make in my free time so I don't plan to keep this going too long hence the version title.

Nov 9, 2017
Renpy defaults version numbers to 1.0, rather than setting it to 0.0.1a like a ton of games do, I decided to do it a different way. This is a hobby project I make in my free time so I don't plan to keep this going too long hence the version title.
Given how many Renpy have version 0.whatever (Superpowers and Summertime Saga having several updates and not hitting 1.0 yet) it can't be that hard to change that default.

Oct 28, 2017
This project has real potential but the flight controls is a complete mess, the developer fell in the same trap that so many others do of wanting add "game mechanics" when in fact there is absolutely not a single interesting thing about these "mechanics", it's just trite and annoying. There is no good reason to not just go straight to a location by selecting it directly, no one is interested in whovian technobabble if it's going to be this much of a bother.

If that is streamlined though I could see this going far. I'd love to see it develop into a harem collector.
Take a look at the genre for me silly billy :p

zabuza1

Jan 4, 2018
Never watched doctor who, however even if the story is 5 minutes long I did enjoy it, the content is lacking however, the stat raising was pointless as it involved just doing same thing over and over again, it requires some kind of filling in, not necessarily pictures, maybe just some story, for example giving serious lesson was wasting time so you will probably add something there, but giving relaxed lesson could give some story (take a list of maybe a 30 different things that could happen and make the game display a random part every time, later on you could make it so that certain items from the list activate a quest or an option or smth but just having that random bit of text would make it less repetitive, something like "a girl in the back slapped someone and ran away crying" or "a dude at the front is painting penises on his desk" just for the lulz) anyways loved the ship controls however you need to add basic explanation what everything does something like press that to move between local ares or press that and then that to go to another planet and so on. The Parlour could have random images displayed too, but knowing how hard it is to keep theme you could just make 1 and add some events there too. You probably already have smth in mind for it, just saying what I wanted to see there and there and maybe you might add at some point.

AlistairV

Game Developer
Jan 21, 2018
This is an absolutely awesome reply man! You've given me a ton of new ideas and yes I did have something in mind for the lessons haha, stay posted!

klang

Aug 15, 2016
just please keep working on it until there's a full arc. I want to like it, there's just not enough there yet.

Toottoot

Aug 20, 2017
Right, so a bit of criticism first. I hope that this game attempts some degree of immersion, yeah? A lot of parody games are overly humorous. Humor is fine in the right degree, but when 90% of it is trying to be witty and meta it sort of kills any interest. So right now, my pain piece of criticism as far as the narrative goes is the Area 51 scene. Recruits or not, I sort of doubt they'd just give up an alien to some random broad that appeared out of nowhere. Hope that gets expanded in the future, make it maybe some sort of small "choice dungeon".

Anyhow, second piece of criticism (not just for you but any indie h game maker) is that I don't see any source of musical pieces and any art that might not be original. If it's all original, great. But when it's not, it'd be nice for there to be some source of what they are/where you got them. It really sucks for the people that invested time into it. Now, assuming all of the art so far is original and the music is all part of the open domain, it'd still be nice to be told the names of the tracks so people could find them.

AlistairV

Game Developer
Jan 21, 2018
Right, so a bit of criticism first. I hope that this game attempts some degree of immersion, yeah? A lot of parody games are overly humorous. Humor is fine in the right degree, but when 90% of it is trying to be witty and meta it sort of kills any interest. So right now, my pain piece of criticism as far as the narrative goes is the Area 51 scene. Recruits or not, I sort of doubt they'd just give up an alien to some random broad that appeared out of nowhere. Hope that gets expanded in the future, make it maybe some sort of small "choice dungeon".

Anyhow, second piece of criticism (not just for you but any indie h game maker) is that I don't see any source of musical pieces and any art that might not be original. If it's all original, great. But when it's not, it'd be nice for there to be some source of what they are/where you got them. It really sucks for the people that invested time into it. Now, assuming all of the art so far is original and the music is all part of the open domain, it'd still be nice to be told the names of the tracks so people could find them.
Haha I completely understand your point about the humor. I actually sat and thought about that scene quite a bit but I'm trying to make the game an enjoyable smooth and easy project to just flow through. I see many games taking the role of being far too serious when at the end of the day that isn't the selling point for the game. I do see your point though and I'll take that into consideration for the next builds!

Your music comment is something I have always been curious about, and I'm glad that you have finally given me my answer haha. I'm a large fan of immersive music and sound in games so I like to implement it in any way I can. I often wondered how people would feel if I released the song titles and such!

Toottoot

Aug 20, 2017
Haha I completely understand your point about the humor. I actually sat and thought about that scene quite a bit but I'm trying to make the game an enjoyable smooth and easy project to just flow through. I see many games taking the role of being far too serious when at the end of the day that isn't the selling point for the game. I do see your point though and I'll take that into consideration for the next builds!

Your music comment is something I have always been curious about, and I'm glad that you have finally given me my answer haha. I'm a large fan of immersive music and sound in games so I like to implement it in any way I can. I often wondered how people would feel if I released the song titles and such!
Doctor Who has humor and for example the whole comedic alien shtick I have no problem with. It's comedic, yes, but it's something that I could see in the Who-verse. Immersion is important and for immersion you do need to try and take the story seriously even if there are comedic elements. One example on how to have extremely poor writing in a parody, I feel, would be the Four Elements Trainer game. Where it's constantly trying so hard to be meta and funny that it just makes me shiver.

And yes, giving people the titles of the music would not only make everything a lot better in that area and probably make people respect your more as a creator. Here's an example, assuming your game and patreon is a success and your game starts getting a wider audience - then suddenly you have the issue of stolen assets. Things that you didn't create, but are using none the less. Now, this isn't to say that in such a scenario you at that point wouldn't be trying to make everything 100% original, but until then, at least, sources would remedy that issue by a wide margin.

l0ckey

Dec 25, 2017
Interesting game but I think the sleep function should only be in the room and merge the sleep instruction from the control room and the bedroom together so that it flows a bit easier.

AlistairV

Game Developer
Jan 21, 2018
Doctor Who, I'm in! As long as there isn't a female protagonist because that would ruin it for me... (just like the BBC did)
Haha finally someone I agree with.

It was a terrible decision, one that may even kill the show but we'll see how it goes!

Reactions: docclox

Nikira

Bad Member
Donor
Jan 6, 2018
This game is a Joke.:mad:
Flying control confuse player, game delete disk + registry cleaned bye bye .:angry:
back in Brothel King.:D

AlistairV

Game Developer
Jan 21, 2018
This game is a Joke.:mad:
Flying control confuse player, game delete disk + registry cleaned bye bye .:angry:
Haha it really isn't that bad.

Fast Piloting:
- Select location
- Take off
- Locking Down Mechanism (Once)
- Atomic Accelerator to land

That's all.

You only need to select the locking down mechanism once then it always stays set. So really there's only two steps once you've selected your location.

- Take off
- Atomic Accelerator

Reactions: Paranoid_android
3.00 star(s) 2 Votes