Tool Ren'Py Extended Variable Viewer 3.00.04 - For walkthrough authors, game authors and modders

5.00 star(s) 6 Votes

yuuy22

Oct 9, 2018
I'll have to fix something anyway.
At worse the tool should die silently and log the last error. But here not only it complained, but the complain is precisely that it can't log.

But, what you said imply that I'll need more information, so:
yuuy22 do you use a mod or something like that in addition to the viewer ?
And is there a file named "AONlogFile.txt" in the same directory than the game executable ? If yes, can you link it ?
If not, can you drop the attached file in the "[path to the game]/LostinParadise-0.15-pc/game/" folder, and start the game again ? It should force the creation of the log file and give me more information regarding what happen.
I realized I was using an old version of the tool, and it worked after using the latest version, sorry about that!

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I realized I was using an old version of the tool, and it worked after using the latest version, sorry about that!
Don't worry, I prefer a report due to an error, to no report when there's effectively an error.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
What's the key bind?
Er... Seriously ? Please, take a little more care of what is in front of you.

The answer is, in bold, on the third line of the thread opening:
Just press ALT + U (default) in game to open the extended variable viewer screen.
And in case you changed it, because it's configurable and you can choose whatever key combination you want, and this change can be made persistent for all the future games, there's an in game reminder.
The presentation screen, shown when you start the game, or load a save for the first time, remind the many ways to open the configuration menu ; it's on top of the said screen. Then, from there, you'll also see the key binding, on the first configuration entry for the variable viewer.

• Wow
Reactions: MyGirlsNowYoink

Koensmith14

Oct 1, 2019
can i edit the values. great application lets me see everything clearly. just put the content of the game folder inside: of the current game you want edit. by going to yourgame/game and place it there.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
can i edit the values.
Not directly from the viewer, and it's not a planed feature.
Editing a value is never totally without consequences, and I really don't want to have to deal with people doing wrong edit, then complaining that the viewer don't works. This especially since it let you see variables directly related to the engine, and therefore a wrong edit can blow everything.

yuuy22

Oct 9, 2018
I got some actual weird behavior this time, but only for one game. https://f95zone.to/threads/let-the-nightshine-in-v0-1-7-ch-1-sieglinnde.94815/ when I installed it in this game starting the game throws an error about not being able to find a font, then gives the error every time I try to use the extended variables viewer. I've seen someone have a similar error so I think it is just something weird with the game but is there a way to make the tool work with this game?

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I've seen someone have a similar error so I think it is just something weird with the game but is there a way to make the tool work with this game?
I'll take a look at it, but I'm afraid that there nothing I can do on my side. The font is probably used by Ren'Py in a place that is silently triggered (by Ren'Py itself) when you open the menu (the variable viewer act as a menu), or when you return to the game.

The only way to fix this is by providing the expected font to Ren'Py. Something that you can do on your side.
There's the default font used by Ren'Py in "[path to the game]/renpy/common" ; it's named "DejaVuSans.ttf". Copy it to "[path to the game]/game" and then here rename it "Highschool.ttf".
Normally it should be enough to fix the error.

STJay

Jan 12, 2020
I'm having trouble getting it to work for Trouble in Paradise. None of the keybinds to open it were working for me and your icon wasn't appearing at the top left as it has been for all the other games I've played recently.

Version 2.05.01 was working fine.

Reactions: anne O'nymous

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
None of the keybinds to open it were working for me and your icon wasn't appearing at the top left as it has been for all the other games I've played recently.
Yeah, it's because of that (from the tool log file): "Feb 18 02:56:29 [ERROR ] AON06._can - missing 'start'-like label."
The whole mod can't works because the game seem to use a too heavily tweaked version of Ren'Py.

I'll look at the game, but I have no real hope that I can fix this.

Version 2.05.01 was working fine.
I knew it was a good idea to keep it available ;)

Reactions: STJay

MiciChan

Jan 21, 2019
Sorry to bother you, but how can I indirectly modify a variable?

Not directly from the viewer, and it's not a planed feature.
Editing a value is never totally without consequences, and I really don't want to have to deal with people doing wrong edit, then complaining that the viewer don't works. This especially since it let you see variables directly related to the engine, and therefore a wrong edit can blow everything.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Sorry to bother you, but how can I indirectly modify a variable?
Well, by using the Ren'Py console (SHIFT + o) then assigning a new value to the variable (variableName = newValue and press RETURN).

But if you didn't know that already, it's probably better to not do it. It's already easy to break a game by assigning a wrong value, but if in top you assign a wrong type of value it's worse than everything.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
UncleVT

I'll need a bit of time to fix your issue.

I just found a totally breaking error when playing a game that past from a version 6.99.x of Ren'Py to the 8.x branch, and I have to fix it in priority since it's something that risk to happen really often in the future. What also mean that I'll have to do a new series of test, because... Well, I ensured that the tool works fine with the 6.99.x, 7.x and 8.x branches, but totally forgot to looks what happen when you pass from a 6.99.x/7.x to a 8.x :(

UncleVT

Låt den rätta komma in
Jul 2, 2017
UncleVT

I'll need a bit of time to fix your issue.

I just found a totally breaking error when playing a game that past from a version 6.99.x of Ren'Py to the 8.x branch, and I have to fix it in priority since it's something that risk to happen really often in the future. What also mean that I'll have to do a new series of test, because... Well, I ensured that the tool works fine with the 6.99.x, 7.x and 8.x branches, but totally forgot to looks what happen when you pass from a 6.99.x/7.x to a 8.x :(
No problem, take all the time you need because is a very useful tool and wish it works properly.

And thank you very much.

Reactions: anne O'nymous

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Wow... I'll look at this, thanks.
Ok, this one will be tricky.

I got the reason of the error, the Python interpreter, and so Ren'Py... ran out of memory :eek:

This mean that the game use 4GB of memory and still needs more. And looking at the game I understand why, they save everything, from the description of a quest, to a list of 2000 random numbers previously generated (what is totally useless). The problem being that, due to the rollback feature, Ren'Py keep generally between 30 and 50 copy of all the variables, while my tool need to also copy them in order to works.
It's to the point that a save file already weight 742 KB when you finally starts the game ; for reference most Ren'Py games will have save files below 1 MB (1.024 KB) if you save at the end of the game.

Big2019 can you look in "[path to the game]/Straitened Times/game/saves" what is the size of the files ? Don't try to attach one, I'm pretty sure that it's way too big, but it's for me to have a better idea of it.

All this imply that I'm not sure to be able to fix this issue, and most likely my tool will not be usable with this game ; at least not on a long run.

I'll still try to fix it, but so far I don't really know how. I can't reduce the memory used by the game, what represent around 70% of the said use. And blindly reducing the memory used by my tool would remove its interest (you wouldn't be able to know when a value changed).

Big2019

Mar 13, 2019
Ok, this one will be tricky.

I got the reason of the error, the Python interpreter, and so Ren'Py... ran out of memory :eek:

This mean that the game use 4GB of memory and still needs more. And looking at the game I understand why, they save everything, from the description of a quest, to a list of 2000 random numbers previously generated (what is totally useless). The problem being that, due to the rollback feature, Ren'Py keep generally between 30 and 50 copy of all the variables, while my tool need to also copy them in order to works.
It's to the point that a save file already weight 742 KB when you finally starts the game ; for reference most Ren'Py games will have save files below 1 MB (1.024 KB) if you save at the end of the game.

Big2019 can you look in "[path to the game]/Straitened Times/game/saves" what is the size of the files ? Don't try to attach one, I'm pretty sure that it's way too big, but it's for me to have a better idea of it.

All this imply that I'm not sure to be able to fix this issue, and most likely my tool will not be usable with this game ; at least not on a long run.

I'll still try to fix it, but so far I don't really know how. I can't reduce the memory used by the game, what represent around 70% of the said use. And blindly reducing the memory used by my tool would remove its interest (you wouldn't be able to know when a value changed).
My first save around 294 KB and last save 1.43 MB,

Hope you can fix it cause its second game. Lust Harem also showing almost same issue or can say it hang for some time and then start working.

well but that help me in other game so ok if not work in 1 or 2 game, I can use save editor or something

thanks and its a very useful tool if have time keep working on it.

Question - what if I increase virtual memory will it help?

Last edited:
5.00 star(s) 6 Votes