Tool Ren'Py Extended Variable Viewer 3.00.04 - For walkthrough authors, game authors and modders

5.00 star(s) 6 Votes

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Sunshine Love CH2 0.01 (with ipatch) - Game still crashes during startup. AONlogFile.txt, log and traceback attached (AONvve_SL_mi_20220305.zip). Game starts correctly once AONvve is uninstalled.
Hmm :/ I'll look at that again. I focused the initial problem and apparently forgot something that happened after this.

(*) In games which start, the initial AONvve config background image has the wrong dimensions, only filling part of the window (examples attached). If I close config, then open the variable list via Alt+U, the background image correctly fills the whole window.
Fascinating, and I mean really fascinating. In both case it's the exact same Frame object that is displayed as background, therefore it shouldn't react differently.
If you want, it's like your car being unable to go faster than 100 km/h the first time you use it. Then any other time you use it the same day, it go up to 200 km/h without a single problem. And the following day it will again not be able to go further than 100 km/h, but again only the first time you use it.

I'll look at this, thanks.

Reactions: Meushi

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Sunshine Love CH2 0.01 (with ipatch) - Game still crashes during startup. [...]

(*) In games which start, the initial AONvve config background image has the wrong dimensions [...]
Can you confirm that, by dropping what's in the attached file, it effectively fix both issues ?

I'll not update the unofficial release yet, I expect to have finished to add what is missing to the viewer itself before Monday, so I'll wait this moment and if no other errors are triggered since then it will be the official release.

I will still have to add few things in the configuration menu, but it will not affect the viewer itself.

Edit: With the attached file, it works better :D

Reactions: WhyNot

Meushi

Aug 4, 2017
Can you confirm that, by dropping what's in the attached file, it effectively fix both issues ?
Yes, with that patch:
- Sunshine Love CH2 0.01 (with ipatch) now loads without crashing & AONvve works.
- The AONvve config background image now fills the window in Sunshine Love & Stay True, Stay You.

Thanks for the fix.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
[...] I expect to have finished to add what is missing to the viewer itself before Monday, [...]
What I didn't expected is to break my neck :( Well, obviously not literally, else I wouldn't be writing this, but I have to wear a cervical collar for one week, and those things are just horrible...

Between the pain still present, the total lack of comfort, and of course the time lost in the hospital, I'll need a little more time than expected to finish what I had to finish. Especially since it's not easy to concentrate when you've to move your whole upper body where you usually just move the head.
So I'll take some extra time to validate every addition twice, just to be sure.

UncleVT

Låt den rätta komma in
Jul 2, 2017
Take all your time you need, I really hope you recover soon.

In the meantime here's something for you to think, a little issue I got, the settings and the favorites aren't saved when the game is closed, when start again shows all variables (not changed like it was) and the favorites disappear.

Take care

Reactions: anne O'nymous

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
In the meantime here's something for you to think, a little issue I got, the settings and the favorites aren't saved when the game is closed, when start again shows all variables (not changed like it was) and the favorites disappear.
Yeah, discovered this yesterday morning, and I just finished to fix it.
But since I was in the middle of something when I found the issue, I'll not release a fix. It would solve this issue, but also add something that is still totally broken.

Take care
Thanks.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
It happened, really, it's time for me to remove the "on hold" prefix and officially release the version 3.00.

It's been a long journey and before everything I want to thanks you all for your help and support all this time, as well as for your patience.

In addition of a support for the future 8.x branch of Ren'py, and the support for the 7.4.x branch and following, this version come with a lot of novelties.

Firstly there's the reworked configuration menu. Behind is better look come a big innovation, you can now save your configuration as default for all games. And in the future (I still struggle to have a good looking drop list in Ren'Py) you'll also have the possibility to partly change the visual look of the tool.

Secondly there's the extended capabilities of the viewer. It now don't limit to the sole savable variables, and don't even limit to the sole stores. As usual, all this being fully configurable.
Alas, this have a little cost in terms of performances. It's not really something unbearable, but if the game use a really big amount of variables, Ren'Py can take up to one second before opening the viewer. It's alas something I can't change. On my side the viewer need around 0.07 seconds to proceed 5 000 variables, the rest is the time needed by Ren'Py to deal with the information the viewer gave it. But, the filtering list (especially the "Favorite" and "Changed" ones) permit to limit the amount of information to proceed, and so make everything works faster.

Thirdly, I totally changed the way the information are displayed. This permit to make the viewer be faster (yeah, despite what I just said above), and almost removed the problems due to the "hover to see the previous value" functionality.

Take the time to look at the screenshots in OP, they also act as help for the tool, and don't forget to take a look at the in-game help.

There's still few things to do, like the management of the custom filter that can really be improved. But globally they are more cosmetic improvement than anything else. So, except sudden bug that I would have missed, the next update shouldn't come before summer ; and it will mostly be to implement what is still missing in the configuration menu.

Also note that, since the compatibility with older version of Ren'Py have been reduced with this version, I'll keep the 2.05.01 available for people who want to use the viewer with an effectively old game.

Features of this version 3.0:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Sancho1969

Devoted Member
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
anne O'nymous My mentor, not sure if you've noticed but (while in-game) opening the AON menu via the upper-left hotspot then selecting "Return" advances the VN one screen even if it's a choice menu. Regards to you and yours, full respect.

Reactions: anne O'nymous

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Well... This should boost me for the rest of the month ;)

not sure if you've noticed but (while in-game) opening the AON menu via the upper-left hotspot then selecting "Return" advances the VN one screen even if it's a choice menu.
I noticed that it made advance the dialog, but didn't cared this much since you generally have read it before opening the menu. But if it make also advance through the menu, it's something totally different that I can't just discard :(
I'll look at this, thanks.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Since the issue pointed by Sancho1969 was, relatively speaking, not really penalizing (the icon being only one way to open the configuration menu), therefore I waited few days more, in order to have a more consistent update. And here it come, the version 3.00.01...

The most interesting feature is probably the possibility to choose almost whatever key combination you want to open the viewer. And this way more easily that I initially intended to do it.
Coupled to the persistent save that permit you to save the current configuration as your default one, then retrieve it automatically in all the other the games you'll add the viewer after this, this is probably the best idea I had in years.

Change log:
  • fixed - Opening the configuration menu through the icon shouldn't anymore make the game advance ;
  • fixed - An issue with the exportation feature ;
  • fixed - Long integers are now correctly seen as native Python type ;
  • fixed - A future issue due to a lack of forward compatibility with multiPersistent between Ren'Py 6.99.x/7.x and Ren'Py 8.x ;
  • Updated - Management for the custom filter is now easier ;
  • Updated - Support for the future 8.x branch ;
  • added - You can now define the base name for the exportation file ;
  • added - You can now define almost whatever key combination you want to open the viewer ;
  • added - pygame module is now available among Ren'Py core modules ;
  • added - Support for 'collections' classes.

Jul 19, 2018
I found the variables but it has been put inside a group like this (here i try to edit expactual:2 and puntostotal:17 ) but i can't find a way in console, i have tried code :
poderlustmc["puntostotal"] = 20
or
poderlustmc[5] = 20
but both did not work
please help, thanks.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Oh fucking fuck... I was sick recently, flying on painkiller for more or less a week, and it made me totally forgot about the issues here :( I'm relatively busy right now, but I'll try to solve this before the end of the week, sorry.

I found the variables but it has been put inside a group like this (here i try to edit expactual:2 and puntostotal:17 ) but i can't find a way in console, i have tried code :
poderlustmc["puntostotal"] = 20
It's objects, so it should be wrote poderlustmc.puntostotal = 20.

I know it's a bit difficult for peoples who don't have codding knowledge. I had to limit the size while keeping it more or less understandable, and it wasn't easy.

Reactions: WhyNot
Jul 19, 2018
Oh fucking fuck... I was sick recently, flying on painkiller for more or less a week, and it made me totally forgot about the issues here :( I'm relatively busy right now, but I'll try to solve this before the end of the week, sorry.

It's objects, so it should be wrote poderlustmc.puntostotal = 20.

I know it's a bit difficult for peoples who don't have codding knowledge. I had to limit the size while keeping it more or less understandable, and it wasn't easy.
i'm very appreciated your work for all of us, and thank you for the response, the code worked.
I hope you get well faster.

5.00 star(s) 6 Votes