RPGM WIP [English Translation Patch] Succubus Merchant Wants To Prolong The War [v.1.2.4] [Corrupt]

4.00 star(s) 1 Vote

CSanders

May 13, 2018
Store:
Censored: Yes
Version: 1.2.4
Language: English translation patch for Japanese game

Instruction: As the thread title says it's just patch NOT the entire game, so you will have to buy the game from DLsite. Then just copy file named "www" in this translation patch into the game main file which also contains "www" file so that the patch overwrites everything there. I checked this on 3 different devices and it worked without any issues so I hope it will work for others as well. If not then please say what's the problem or post a screen.

I don't really know this website much so I'm sorry if I messed something up in this post info or if I posted it in wrong category. If that's the case then please tell me.
This patch is something I've started working on almost 2 years ago when the game was released but then I had to focus on other stuff and totally left it in limbo. 2 months ago I saw on author's twitter that he is working on sequel to Succubus Sugoroku and got fired up and started going at it again. Thought I would finish it before march but seems like I may need a few weeks more to complete it... But the game is playable so I thought I will post it on a few websites to see if it works for others as I hope it will.
I have translated all the files in game , except for the two big ones:
* commonevents - this file contains prostitution dialogues and various other events text, I translated 20% of it manually and rest is translated with machinetranslation. I am moving forward bit by bit, will probably need 2 weeks to finish? Maybe. Probably. Anyway no matter how much I translate I will try to update patch with it on next sunday. Spent entire weekend translating and it's way past midnight and I'm dying now. Need like 24hours of recuperation before I get back to it.
* 004_kyakuGenerals - this file contains replies of generals and monarchs to products you offer them. its big and not that important so I left it as is for now. Will translate it last.

Changes in this patch other than translation are small fixes of some bugs I found on the way. For example some pictures would be wrongly referenced and that could cause some weird errors to pop up on screen.
In translation I opted to leave out name suffixes (-chan -kun -sama -dono) and other than that stick to original meaning as close as possible even if it may sound weird in English. Also onomatopoeias and various erotic sounds are hard. Wasted literally hours thinking how to write strange noises.

I had delusions of making Austrian (totally-not-german) patch after this but now I'm not sure if I will have the energy...

Download Link:

Last edited:

Milano_sheep

Feb 28, 2022
I was waiting for this! patch works great for me. thank you for translating. will you also translate sequel to suguroku?

CSanders

May 13, 2018
I was waiting for this! patch works great for me. thank you for translating. will you also translate sequel to suguroku?
Sorry, I'm not sure what I will be doing 2 weeks from now much less a few months. Maybe I will try but no idea how much time it might take...

CSanders

May 13, 2018
You can buy the game on dmm as well. I think its only those two sites. Here link:)

CSanders

May 13, 2018
Updated the link with new version of patch containing what I've done over the past week. Did less than I expected but I kinda expected that so I guess it wasn't really unexpected o_O

CSanders

May 13, 2018
Was a bit busy this week so Im afraid i won't be able to update patch. I should finish current batch of translations and update it in 3 days or so.

CSanders

May 13, 2018
It took me more time than I expected to update but out of the 2 files mentioned earlier I gotta do now 1/6 and that 2nd file.
Link for the updated but still WIP english translation patch:

Jooop

Jun 28, 2019
Hey there, I’ve been translating this game too. Just wondering what your progress on the Common Events file was at.

CSanders

May 13, 2018
Hey, well, as I've said earlier I have only 2 files left. And it's getting persistently more time-consuming than I have hoped. I constantly get bogged down in silly stuff like: "How to translate into english japanese erotic onomatopoeia" "Should I translate japanese expressions into english as is or just use english expressions with a similar meaning" "Should I carry over japanese suffixes into translation or not (should I translate onee-chan as is or change it into big sis or sister)" "How to translate names of characters/countries/items (was so bothered about this one I even asked game's author for suggestions)"
On top of that unifying references across game files is a bit of a WIP. sometimes while translating common I decide that other name sounds better and then I have to adjust it in other files (.json included)
And there was that one time when I lost a few weeks of work cuz computer crashedo_O
Common events is about 60% through. Should update it in a few days as soon as I smooth over some lines I keep being unsatisfied with.
I plan (and hope) to finish it within next month.

Jooop

Jun 28, 2019
Hey, well, as I've said earlier I have only 2 files left. And it's getting persistently more time-consuming than I have hoped. I constantly get bogged down in silly stuff like: "How to translate into english japanese erotic onomatopoeia" "Should I translate japanese expressions into english as is or just use english expressions with a similar meaning" "Should I carry over japanese suffixes into translation or not (should I translate onee-chan as is or change it into big sis or sister)" "How to translate names of characters/countries/items (was so bothered about this one I even asked game's author for suggestions)"
On top of that unifying references across game files is a bit of a WIP. sometimes while translating common I decide that other name sounds better and then I have to adjust it in other files (.json included)
And there was that one time when I lost a few weeks of work cuz computer crashedo_O
Common events is about 60% through. Should update it in a few days as soon as I smooth over some lines I keep being unsatisfied with.
I plan (and hope) to finish it within next month.
Gotcha, simply for the sake of space I usually don’t use Japanese honorifics or suffixes. Although I have, from time to time, used phrases like “My Lord” in fantasy settings like this. I’m also not a fan of editing the author’s work, so, if it’s still understandable to an English audience, I usually try to keep as much of the original dialogue as possible. Onomatopoeia I usually translate literally. I also feel that so hard on losing progress. Seems like you got this under control. If I can help in any way, let me know. I’m in the same boat as you right now. Apart from some bugs I translated everything except the Common Events.

CSanders

May 13, 2018
Gotcha, simply for the sake of space I usually don’t use Japanese honorifics or suffixes. Although I have, from time to time, used phrases like “My Lord” in fantasy settings like this. I’m also not a fan of editing the author’s work, so, if it’s still understandable to an English audience, I usually try to keep as much of the original dialogue as possible. Onomatopoeia I usually translate literally. I also feel that so hard on losing progress. Seems like you got this under control. If I can help in any way, let me know. I’m in the same boat as you right now. Apart from some bugs I translated everything except the Common Events.
Hahaha, yeah. It bugged me so much I even did my research and checked a few translations of anime in historical setting to see how professionals translate suffixes of various feudal lords:LOL: It does seem like using title of "Lord" is most common translation of -sama suffix. In the end I decided to leave -sama for Yamano Country since it's based on feudal Japan and use titles like king, general, lord for MedievalEurope-based Forest Kingdom. Still can't make up my mind on how Kukuru should address Kukuri though.

I feel exactly the same as you, sticking as close to original japanese meaning is what I am most inclined to do. But then afterwards sometimes I get troubled about whether the sentence structure isn't too weird in english and waste lots of time on how to adjust it.

Other than suffixes one more problematic point are pronouns. It's really awesome how in japanese works where transformation or TSF are a theme you can really express a lot by having character switch pronoun during transformation. In this particular work I really love Fuyo who changes his speech style and pronoun swaps to "". It really accentuates that feeling of him changing from inexperienced human shota to a confident demonic lolibaba. Sadly there is no way to transcribe this into english. In the past I commissioned translation of "Succubus Sugoroku" and translator there decided on changing colour of "I" to blue and pink in some scenes to describe that male pronoun changes to female one, but I have no idea how to do it. Do you maybe know how?
Also if anyone notices any bugs in my translation patch I would be thankful if you could mention it here. Right now I still have figured out all the references and links among various .json and data files. Once I finish this and leave it for some time it will be hard for me to figure out what was where and how was it related to other files. It's really easy to bug or break those files then. you literally try to fix 1 bug but end up creating 3 more.
With this patch I'm also trying to fix minor bugs in original game. For example some pictures had wrong references and that could cause this pop-up(in the pic attached) when encountering certain pictures of soldiers, the message would then keep popping up every few seconds till it crashed or you turned off game. So If you know any bugs I would be grateful if you could mention it.

Kay that's all going back to translating, spent 5 hours today, gotta use what's left of the day:)

Jooop

Jun 28, 2019
Hahaha, yeah. It bugged me so much I even did my research and checked a few translations of anime in historical setting to see how professionals translate suffixes of various feudal lords:LOL: It does seem like using title of "Lord" is most common translation of -sama suffix. In the end I decided to leave -sama for Yamano Country since it's based on feudal Japan and use titles like king, general, lord for MedievalEurope-based Forest Kingdom. Still can't make up my mind on how Kukuru should address Kukuri though.

I feel exactly the same as you, sticking as close to original japanese meaning is what I am most inclined to do. But then afterwards sometimes I get troubled about whether the sentence structure isn't too weird in english and waste lots of time on how to adjust it.

Other than suffixes one more problematic point are pronouns. It's really awesome how in japanese works where transformation or TSF are a theme you can really express a lot by having character switch pronoun during transformation. In this particular work I really love Fuyo who changes his speech style and pronoun swaps to "". It really accentuates that feeling of him changing from inexperienced human shota to a confident demonic lolibaba. Sadly there is no way to transcribe this into english. In the past I commissioned translation of "Succubus Sugoroku" and translator there decided on changing colour of "I" to blue and pink in some scenes to describe that male pronoun changes to female one, but I have no idea how to do it. Do you maybe know how?
Also if anyone notices any bugs in my translation patch I would be thankful if you could mention it here. Right now I still have figured out all the references and links among various .json and data files. Once I finish this and leave it for some time it will be hard for me to figure out what was where and how was it related to other files. It's really easy to bug or break those files then. you literally try to fix 1 bug but end up creating 3 more.
With this patch I'm also trying to fix minor bugs in original game. For example some pictures had wrong references and that could cause this pop-up(in the pic attached) when encountering certain pictures of soldiers, the message would then keep popping up every few seconds till it crashed or you turned off game. So If you know any bugs I would be grateful if you could mention it.

Kay that's all going back to translating, spent 5 hours today, gotta use what's left of the day:)
Ooooh, so the Randanything commission was you? Yeah, that color switch was a good idea for the pronouns, but I unfortunately don’t know how to do that. EVILIZE did have text change color to label mission vital items, but it’s on a different RPG Maker engine. Still, it’s a worth a look and I’ll see if that works on Succubus Merchant. Oh, let me know how you named everything! I’m curious how similar our translations were.

Here’s some examples of mine:

Forest Kingdom for the European kingdom.

Yamamo, for the Japanese kingdom

Devil Virus, for the “disease” turning everyone into succubi.

Jooop

Jun 28, 2019
Also, I wanted to translate Succubus Sugoroku 2 as well! Let me know if you want to coordinate on that!

CSanders

May 13, 2018
I believe what you want are the color codes. Something like this: `\C[18] red text \C[9] blue text \C[0] white(default) text`

View attachment 1880347
Oh many thanks! Actually come to think of it I saw those commands in the game files itself (they are used for example when Kukuru climaxes while walking to notify you about your HP and libido decreasing) , but I had no idea I could use them since I worried they may be referencing something else in .json files. If it's normal game code then I will use it without worries. Thanks again!

I went with similar method to the one you describe here Jooop. Names of the western kingdom I translated into proper english and the eastern kingdom I left with original meaning. To begin with eastern names were more unusual so translating them into english sounding ones would be hard. For example "General Yamabuki" would have to become "General Camellia Sinensis" or "General Tea Plant". western ones could be left as is. Also names after demonization had no common theme so left it just like sounds:
Kukuru, Kukuri, Metallica, Airi, Irina - Simple since those are all names already translated in the past works.
King Cedar -> Queen Theta Monarch Fuyo
General Cypress -> General Cypher General Yamabuki -> General Ibuki
General Persimmon -> General Parshe General Rindou -> General Rin (worried here whether use "Rindou" or "Rindo")
General Maple General Tsutsuji
Names of countries I translated very similar to you, western sounding is in english "Forest Kingdom" but eastern one I translated as "Yamano Country". Was worried whether to use "Country of Mountains" or "Mountain Country" for more contrast with the western one but decided to go with same naming sense as with character names. Just welded together "Yama" and "no" together since it sounded better to me in english and translated "Kuni" as Country. Some countries IRL have words like "Kingdom" "Country" or "State" as part of their official names.
I also wondered how to name phenomenon caused by Kukuru and thought about "virus" but since nobody knows the cause and I'm not sure if they know about viruses in fantasy setting I went with general-sounding "Demonization Disease" or sickness (at first I wanted to refer to it as plague since it felt more medieval (black death, typhoid fever) but whenever I hear "Plague" in fantasy setting I remember "Plague of Undeath" from Warcraft and get strange associations:sneaky:)
Currency in the game is "Taran" and I thought that maybe name comes from medieval german currency "Thaler", wondered if I should translate it that way but then I asked Jkank and he said that he derived the name from the unit of "Talent" (was used as both currency and measurement unit all across ancient Mediterranean). Wanted to go with that but then I realised that in english Talent may be associated with character development in RPG setting so decided to go with "Talan".
Also I am still a bit worried about other things like some items sold by Kukuru or laugh of certain characters. I don't think there are sounds in english for depicting snicker like "Kususu" or Yamabuki's laugh "Kakakaka"

Man, writing all this down made me realize how much time I spent overthinking the smallest of things. Doubt anyone who plays game will care that much about translation choices as long as the meaning comes across.

From what Jkank said so far it seems like Succubus Sugoroku2 should go out somewhere in september and that the game will have significantly more text than SS1 So I would love to work with someone on this together. Doing it alone as a hobby could take like 3 yearso_O

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: Jooop and Weirdo69

Jooop

Jun 28, 2019
Oh many thanks! Actually come to think of it I saw those commands in the game files itself (they are used for example when Kukuru climaxes while walking to notify you about your HP and libido decreasing) , but I had no idea I could use them since I worried they may be referencing something else in .json files. If it's normal game code then I will use it without worries. Thanks again!

I went with similar method to the one you describe here Jooop. Names of the western kingdom I translated into proper english and the eastern kingdom I left with original meaning. To begin with eastern names were more unusual so translating them into english sounding ones would be hard. For example "General Yamabuki" would have to become "General Camellia Sinensis" or "General Tea Plant". western ones could be left as is. Also names after demonization had no common theme so left it just like sounds:
Kukuru, Kukuri, Metallica, Airi, Irina - Simple since those are all names already translated in the past works.
King Cedar -> Queen Theta Monarch Fuyo
General Cypress -> General Cypher General Yamabuki -> General Ibuki
General Persimmon -> General Parshe General Rindou -> General Rin (worried here whether use "Rindou" or "Rindo")
General Maple General Tsutsuji
Names of countries I translated very similar to you, western sounding is in english "Forest Kingdom" but eastern one I translated as "Yamano Country". Was worried whether to use "Country of Mountains" or "Mountain Country" for more contrast with the western one but decided to go with same naming sense as with character names. Just welded together "Yama" and "no" together since it sounded better to me in english and translated "Kuni" as Country. Some countries IRL have words like "Kingdom" "Country" or "State" as part of their official names.
I also wondered how to name phenomenon caused by Kukuru and thought about "virus" but since nobody knows the cause and I'm not sure if they know about viruses in fantasy setting I went with general-sounding "Demonization Disease" or sickness (at first I wanted to refer to it as plague since it felt more medieval (black death, typhoid fever) but whenever I hear "Plague" in fantasy setting I remember "Plague of Undeath" from Warcraft and get strange associations:sneaky:)
Currency in the game is "Taran" and I thought that maybe name comes from medieval german currency "Thaler", wondered if I should translate it that way but then I asked Jkank and he said that he derived the name from the unit of "Talent" (was used as both currency and measurement unit all across ancient Mediterranean). Wanted to go with that but then I realised that in english Talent may be associated with character development in RPG setting so decided to go with "Talan".
Also I am still a bit worried about other things like some items sold by Kukuru or laugh of certain characters. I don't think there are sounds in english for depicting snicker like "Kususu" or Yamabuki's laugh "Kakakaka"

Man, writing all this down made me realize how much time I spent overthinking the smallest of things. Doubt anyone who plays game will care that much about translation choices as long as the meaning comes across.

From what Jkank said so far it seems like Succubus Sugoroku2 should go out somewhere in september and that the game will have significantly more text than SS1 So I would love to work with someone on this together. Doing it alone as a hobby could take like 3 yearso_O
Wow, we had a lot of the same thought processes. I think the only thing that’s different is that I gave Tsutsuji a different name. Can’t remember what it is though. I only called it the “Devil Virus” for the sake of brevity. “Demonization Disease” can take up a lot of space. My only regret in my own translation is that I didn’t stick with “artisan” as the term uses for the succubi under your employ. Not only is it shorter, but it also sounds better in my mind. I used “employees” as the term to describe them.

usualname

Aug 29, 2019
This is what i got by replacing all the MTL'd www folder files with your translated ones,
1655934848262.png
I tried to switch your translated data folder with the old MTL one and got this instead
1655935256654.png
1655935126634.png
I also tried to do that to a clean, non MTL, untranslated version and the results were pretty much exactly the same
The translation seems to work, but the game doesn't

Though this problem is most definitely on my end, any idea of whatever the hell prevents images from loading?

Reactions: ryscan
4.00 star(s) 1 Vote