VN Ren'Py Dual Family [v1.22.1ce] [Gumdrop Games]

2.10 star(s) 188 Votes

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
You gotta keep this thread running, lol.
The historian in me needs to document what happens next.
But the Captain in me needs to make witty commentary.

Any chance we could add a new tag? My suggestions:
'Comedy'
'Social Experiment'

Feel free to add others, this is a gold mine for this community.
When you said captain, I came to think of "My Captain, My Captian, by Walt Withman. :p

Reactions: lostraven

satoshi36

Dec 7, 2017
We really should move on past the abandoned/milking conversation. First, let me define "abandoned". If he stops the progress meter and quits responding for a few months then that's when we apply the "abandoned" tag. No activity and no release is what is needed for the tag.

What is stopping us from having a convincing case that this is abandoned is a supposed meter he has documenting progress on the update which has been showing progress. So we don't actually have a strong case to say it's abandoned because of that progress meter and the fact that his comments on Patreon generally line up with that progress meter. I'm aware some of you say he's lying and others say he isn't. As to the lying/abandonment issue, only time will tell.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that he's lying because of the delays and his excuses for those. So I made the comment in October to prod gumdrop and his Patreons into discussing this and doing something. Personally, I don't consider the "Last Christmas" release to be meaningful since it apparently caused him to blow past... yet another deadline! Here are my points.
1- A picture or a pinup is not a sign of progress to me.
2- Blowing past deadlines with different excuses builds distrust. This is one of the reasons the "on hold" tag was applied.
3- "Last Christmas"??? Really, dude? That could have waited until AFTER the game was done. It could have been longer and more polished by that time. This is where I can tell gumdrop's priorities are messed up. If he's talking about a game, stick to it!
3- Routine "test builds" as he builds up the chapter would be evidence that it's not abandoned or on hold. That's been brought up to him and it's not been done.

There's at least a handful of things gumdrop could have done or his patrons could have clamored for. More accountability, stick with the right priorities, give them test builds. You know why test builds are important? Let's say gumdrop is telling the truth. Let's suppose that he's got all these 2400+ images and when all that's done, he's gotta write and then code the dialogues. He's doing this one of two ways.. scene by scene or the whole thing at once. If he's doing this scene by scene, he could do test builds to shake out the bugs as he goes along. But I've not seen that happen. The takeaway is this- if he's really doing this and is still going solo, he's really in over his head and it might literally break the entire game. That's why I have serious doubts.
Ok let's move over the ABANDONED tag conversation and talk what?!?! We don't have a update for almost a year to talk about, only smoke and mirrors so that's what we're talking about, logically right?! That progress meter is a fuckin' bad joke, for me i'm 100% that this game is history and we'll not see a new update ever again, now he's just trying to see how much more money can squeeze before comes over again under a different alias and a new game...
In fact i would suggest to remove the "onhold" tag too cuz why not... he's active...

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
Ok let's move over the ABANDONED tag conversation and talk what?!?! We don't have a update for almost a year to talk about, only smoke and mirrors so that's what we're talking about, logically right?! That progress meter is a fuckin' bad joke, for me i'm 100% that this game is history and we'll not see a new update ever again, now he's just trying to see how much more money can squeeze before comes over again under a different alias and a new game...
In fact i would suggest to remove the "onhold" tag too cuz why not... he's active...
Isn't the most logical then to just walk? Find something else to invest time and effort into. Not like there is a shortage of other games out there. Maybe we see something, maybe we wont. Only time and history will tell. As muttdoggy did touch on. He might be way in over his head. Dug a hole for himself he have a hard time crawl out of. Wouldn't be the first or the last in that regard.

Reactions: DrackDrap

Siddington

Sep 11, 2017
Ok let's move over the ABANDONED tag conversation and talk what?!?! We don't have a update for almost a year to talk about, only smoke and mirrors so that's what we're talking about, logically right?!
I think this is one of the biggest issues around Dual Family at the minute. There is barely a positive word said about this game anymore. We've had months to speculate about the possible events in Part X and with the seemingly never ending delays to the updates release, this thread and Gumdrops Discord has devolved into arguments/heated discussions regarding Gumdrops integrity and not a lot else. It's beyond me how he hasn't felt the need to address this issue thoroughly with his patrons. Doing so may foster a bit of goodwill and pacify angry, concerned or disgruntled patrons.

Any current patrons seen any Dev updates with regards to the renders being finished? Last time I spoke to him, he was reasonably certain that at least the renders would be finished by the 25th.

lostraven

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Apr 27, 2017
Isn't the most logical then to just walk? Find something else to invest time and effort into. Not like there is a shortage of other games out there. Maybe we see something, maybe we wont. Only time and history will tell. As muttdoggy did touch on. He might be way in over his head. Dug a hole for himself he have a hard time crawl out of. Wouldn't be the first or the last in that regard.
I imagine right now he's probably assessing the damage. I would be absolutely shitting myself for not being able to make this release personally. Probably debating between
A.) staying silent and 'possibly' just releasing when ready without saying anything,
or B.) making a statement to address what happened.

He's definitely aware at least how bad this looks. My money is on we'll see a massive torch lighting of 'comments that don't contribute to the discussion' on the discord and a long-winded statement with a new deadline Around Late Feb to March.

Or he could just go full narcissist, dismiss all criticism because his 'magnum opus' is beyond our understanding of the brilliance to come. (Boy oh boy, I really hope we get some exciting twists in this story).

thenono

Oct 16, 2017
As muttdoggy did touch on. He might be way in over his head. Dug a hole for himself he have a hard time crawl out of. Wouldn't be the first or the last in that regard.
if that was to be the case then why not be honest about it? we already know he's started to lack motivation as he has said that himself, well he alluded to it anyway.

This toxicity was avoidable by being transparent, being honest about the dev cycle and actually planning out what he wanted to do and sticking with it. Its not like he's had to take on board the results of votes or write and produce something he didnt want to as he always stated it was his vision.

We've had months to speculate about the possible events in Part X and with the seemingly never ending delays to the updates release, this thread and Gumdrops Discord has devolved into arguments/heated discussions regarding Gumdrops integrity and not a lot else. It's beyond me how he hasn't felt the need to address this issue thoroughly with his patrons. Doing so may foster a bit of goodwill and pacify angry, concerned or disgruntled patrons.
Exactly, be open be honest don't sneak a its delayed again notice into the end of a pointless christmas update, that just makes things appear even more dubious.

He's definitely aware at least how bad this looks. My money is on we'll see a massive torch lighting of 'comments that don't contribute to the discussion' on the discord and a long-winded statement with a new deadline Around Late Feb to March.
1 year anniversary is still my bet, and he'll make a big thing of it being the anniversary something along the lines of "it just seemed right to delay it until this point" whether he misses another deadline again well thats anyones guess

LazyName

Aug 17, 2017
This whole "mark as abandoned" seems pretty masturbatory, then again it is kinda ridiculous how long we've had to wait for an update, but ultimately I can't imagine it being marked doing that much harm to his bottom line.

At the end of the day I just can't get as mad as everyone, but admittedly I've never paid any money, and honestly there have been some other pretty amazing games to take up my time. If it ever gets updated it would be a nice treat, but at this point there are other games to obsess over.
All of these tag discussions are absolutely masturbatory but given the nature of this webesite i think masturbation is pretty much always the goal.

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
Let's talk about something different then, what do you expect from the update if it ever actually happens?
Personally, I believe there will be a lot of renders shot from strange positions, no sex, but hours upon hours of clunkily written soul searching, making "The Sorrows of Young Werther" seem like a funny book and then of course a long, long appearance of everyone's favourite skeleton.

allintine

Mar 6, 2017
Let's talk about something different then, what do you expect from the update if it ever actually happens.
Personally, I believe there will be a lot of renders shot from strange positions, no sex, but hours upon hours of clunkily written soul searching, making "The Sorrows of Young Werther" seem like a funny book and then of course a long, long appearance of everyone's favourite skeleton.
Yeah but that skeleton is the best girl in the game imho

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
Let's talk about something different then, what do you expect from the update if it ever actually happens.
You know, that idea is not that far fetched or actually unwelcome somewhat. There is enough of games that have you bone your entire family within the first chapter. For some the slow burn, and build up is the appeal. You have some of the same with like "Wife and a mother" and "Deeper". If he does deliver hours upon hours of soul searching content, it's still content, just not what everyone like or want. But good chance is, then those are no the target audience. But should be enough adult games and other adult stuff around to cater for everyone's desire and fetish.

CelticGuardian

Oct 15, 2018
You know, that idea is not that far fetched or actually unwelcome somewhat. There is enough of games that have you bone your entire family within the first chapter. For some the slow burn, and build up is the appeal. You have some of the same with like "Wife and a mother" and "Deeper". If he does deliver hours upon hours of soul searching content, it's still content, just not what everyone like or want. But good chance is, then those are no the target audience. But should be enough adult games and other adult stuff around to cater for everyone's desire and fetish.
While I will agree that a slow build up is nice, having to wait for a year just to get an update the whole need for a build up is thrown out the door

botc76

Donor
Oct 23, 2016

I'm so tired of reading this shit. I love slow-burn games. All my favourite games here are slowly building up story and romance. Dual Family does nothing of the sort, it's just a podium for gumdrops delusions of grandeur that he somehow is a talented writer and not just an emo-hack.

You want slowburn, try Live with Mary, Our Fate, Babysitter, Sweet Neighbors, Alexandra, and so many, many more. Great games with regular updates, stories and characters.

satoshi36

Dec 7, 2017
Let me tell you what's over his head and got to his head, the money pouring in from patrons without doing shit, that's what it is... i mean at least be nice and give us some lessons and tips on how you do it cuz it's surpasses my comprehension on how someone can make thousands of $$$ without giving back shit...

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
I'm so tired of reading this shit. I love slow-burn games. All my favourite games here are slowly building up story and romance. Dual Family does nothing of the sort, it's just a podium for gumdrops delusions of grandeur that he somehow is a talented writer and not just an emo-hack.
Doesn't that more reflect you not like the story? Just as you wouldn't like a book or a movie for whatever same reasons? DF is a build up to something, if that something turns out to be a skeleton hold your dick, well bummer on that.

botc76

Donor
Oct 23, 2016
Doesn't that more reflect you not like the story? Just as you wouldn't like a book or a movie for whatever same reasons? DF is a build to to something, if that something turns out to be a skeleton hold your dick, well bummer on that.
No, it doesn't reflect me not liking the story, I liked the story just fine in the beginning. It's the god-awful writing, the pretentious bullshit that I don't like.
I can only imagine that all the people defending gumdrops writing are 15 year old kids, because at that age the "angst" is strong with them and every little bullshit just seems so tragic and important, just like gumdrop's writing and his characters.

The problem is that DF is NOT a build up to anything, it's just an endless limbo of a story not moving forward, because a dev is so in love with himself that he thinks his farts smell like roses.

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
No, it doesn't reflect me not liking the story, I liked the story just fine in the beginning. It's the god-awful writing, the pretentious bullshit that I don't like.
I can only imagine that all the people defending gumdrops writing are 15 year old kids, because at that age the "angst" is strong with them and every little bullshit just seems so tragic and important, just like gumdrop's writing and his characters.
Maybe as a consumer whether its in form of books/literature, movies or other. How you relate might also depend on own experience in life, idk. You can have a dozen people read the same book and they won't necessary be left with the same impression or feelings after read it. And neither would be at fault or wrong, because its highly subjective.

Btw, if the dev so in love with himself, you would think it was in his best interest to keep the releases coming to grow that love :p

2.10 star(s) 188 Votes