DO YOU LIKE MTL GAMES IN THIS COMMUNITY?

DO WE NEED MTL GAMES IN THIS COMMUNITY?

• Yes, language is not important for me

• Yes, only if it is an edited translation

• No, but it'd be better to post them in the special translation thread before moving to the main one

• No, I generally hate MTL games

Results are only viewable after voting.

Silentce

Quiet Eldritch Horror
Modder
Uploader
Jan 2, 2018
I want people to stop making MTLs, not incentivize them to make more.
Nothing is going to change for people who sit on their hands and do nothing but wish the world was different. If you want to dictate quality, you have to give something in return. If it is free you get what you get. it's simple, either do something about the problem yourself (financially or with your own two hands,) or you accept the hand you've been dealt. If you get a shitty garbled translation and accept that as all there is, that is what you get. It doesn't matter if you hate MTL or want it gone, if you do nothing about it that is all you are going to get.

fidless

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2018
I agree with you. MTL games should have their own section. Most of them are random gibberish. Automatic translation from Japanese to English is terrible. Not that much different from using VNG (was it called that? A software which uses google translate etc to translate vn in real-time).
A few passionate MTL users can flood this site with games which would make little sense reading them.
It already happening with RPGM games, though I wouldn't remove them entirely. Some of them have to be adjusted to not cause crashes and some users would prefer playing for the sex scenes alone even if the MTL text makes little sense. At least it gives some kind of context.
I would say adding a MTL icon in the "latest game" header could solve the issue not mixing them up with proper games.
How my opinion changed. I use MTL myself and it is very playable. It's good.
Just don't use google translate, use DeepL. It actually translates into sentences, unlike google translate (which makes gibberish nonsense). My recommendation is "Sugoi Japanese Translator". Learn how to hook to deepL and it's good.

It's sad to see people still do MTL using google gibberish (such a waste of time) when DeepL does this.

駄作と呼ばれる詩を定義するなら、大して主張したいこともないのに、意図的に難しくしているものを指します。
では、金子みすゞの「私と小鳥と鈴と」は、どうでしょう。
簡単にわかるけれど、そこには人間にとって実に切実なテーマが表出されており、感動を禁じえません。

金子みすゞ(1903年(明治36年)4月11日 - 1930年(昭和5年)3月10日)は、大正時代末期から昭和時代初期にかけて活躍した日本の童謡詩人。

1923年(大正12年)9月に『童話』『婦人倶楽部』『婦人画報』『金の星』の4誌に一斉に詩が掲載され、西條八十からは「若き童謡詩人の中の巨星」と賞賛された。

多くの優れた近代詩人がそうであるように、金子みすゞも短命であった。わずか26年の生涯を服毒自殺で終えている。
If I were to define a poem as a bad piece of work, I would say it is one that has nothing much to say, but is deliberately made difficult.
How about "I, a Little Bird, a Bell," by Misuzu Kaneko?
It's easy to understand, but it expresses a theme that is very important to human beings, and I cannot help but be moved by it.

Misuzu Kaneko (April 11, 1903 - March 10, 1930) was a Japanese nursery rhyme poet who was active from the end of the Taisho era to the beginning of the Showa era.

In September 1923, his poems were simultaneously published in four magazines, "Doyo", "Fujin Club", "Fujin Gaho", and "Kin no Hoshi", and he was praised by Hachiju Saijo as "a giant star among young nursery rhyme poets".

Like many outstanding modern poets, Misuzu Kaneko was short-lived. Her life of only 26 years ended in suicide by poisoning.

Translated with (free version)
This kind of MTL is very usable. Tho, one issue is still there... Because of language differences, DeepL cannot pick genders well. She becomes He and vice versa, but it's a small issue.
And it doesn't work so well with a very "cultured" and "artsy" writing style if playing VN with some rich writing/or if it plays with words in a very specific way which only Japanese can understand, but I rarely had any issues like this so far.

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: Kyraga

Hagatagar

Oct 11, 2019
If I were to define a poem as a bad piece of work, I would say it is one that has nothing much to say, but is deliberately made difficult.
How about "I, a Little Bird, a Bell," by Misuzu Kaneko?
It's easy to understand, but it expresses a theme that is very important to human beings, and I cannot help but be moved by it.

Misuzu Kaneko (April 11, 1903 - March 10, 1930) was a Japanese nursery rhyme poet who was active from the end of the Taisho era to the beginning of the Showa era.

In September 1923, his poems were simultaneously published in four magazines, "Doyo", "Fujin Club", "Fujin Gaho", and "Kin no Hoshi", and he was praised by Hachiju Saijo as "a giant star among young nursery rhyme poets".

Like many outstanding modern poets, Misuzu Kaneko was short-lived. Her life of only 26 years ended in suicide by poisoning.

For comparison, here is the Google translation of the same text:
If you define a poem called a bad work, it's something that you don't really want to insist on, but that you intentionally make it difficult.
Then, what about Misuzu Kaneko's "Me, Birds, and Bells"?
It's easy to understand, but it expresses a very urgent theme for human beings, and I can't help but be impressed.

Misuzu Kaneko (April 11, 1903 (Meiji 36) -March 10, 1930 (Showa 5)) is a Japanese poet who was active from the end of the Taisho era to the beginning of the Showa era.

In September 1923 (Taisho 12), she published poems in four magazines, "Fairy Rhyme," "Women's Club," "Fujin Gaho," and "Kin no Hoshi," and she was her from Saijo Yaso. Was praised as "a giant star among young nursery rhyme poets."

Like many excellent modern poets, Misuzu Kaneko was short-lived. She ends her life of only 26 years with her poisoning suicide.
I have added the paragraphs for better readability. ;)

Oct 31, 2017
What does MTL stand for?
It's short for Montreal, a lovely city in Canada that quite frankly is taking a lot of unnecessary flak from people in this forum. Though I'm not a fan of all the games that come out of that city (I'm shaking my fist at you, Ubisoft & EA), there is the occasional good one that comes out. Alright, 'occasional' might be a bit generous, but it's still nowhere near as bad as people here are sa-

Hol' up, Machine Translation? You mean to tell me I've been defending Montreal all this time, and no one's corrected me so I'd stop looking like an idiot? I swear, the nerve of some people...

Okay, serious posty time: I've no issue with the concept as a whole, as I've been one who's played games with text-hooking and it has ranged from fairly understandable to unintentionally hilarious (I recall Koikatsu's auto translate plugin deciding one of the story character's name was Trash, and technically it wasn't proved wrong) so it's really a YMMV experience, but still an enjoyable one as a whole.

As for the low effort, non-edited/proofread games that are popping up as of late? Well, I've definitely read worse, and if it's a supremely bad translation I'll probably go find the original version and figure it out myself. Lord knows I've done that for stranger reasons.

fidless

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2018
For comparison, here is the Google translation of the same text:

I have added the paragraphs for better readability. ;)
DeepL just constructs sentences into a readable thing, while Google throws some out-of-context words. You need to actually extract words from VN's for proper comparison.
DeepL just feels better, while Google every 2 sentences makes you question your sanity.

The "Fate" route was first animated in the TV anime "Fate/stay night" in 2006, and the "Unlimited Blade Works" route was animated in the theatrical anime "Fate/stay night UNLIMITED BLADE WORKS" in 2010. The animated version of the "Heaven's Feel" route, "Fate/stay night: The Movie", was released in 2017. [This is the first time that an animated version of the "Heaven's Feel" route has been produced. In addition, a part of the episode "Réalta Nua (Last Episode)", which was added in the port of "Réalta Nua" from the PC version to other devices, was visualized at the TYPE-MOON exhibition held in December 2019[1][2].

The production and copyright management was handled by Geneon Universal Entertainment, which also produced "Shingetan Tsukihime", until the theatrical anime "Fate/stay night UNLIMITED BLADE WORKS" released in 2010. Aniplex, who also produced "The Garden of the Sinners" and "Fate/Zero", is in charge of the production and copyright management of "Project Fate/stay night". Studio Deen is in charge of animation production for the Geneon Universal Entertainment version, and ufotable is in charge of the Aniplex version.

In the game, each route has multiple endings depending on the player's choice, but the works that have been visualized so far basically follow the ending called "True End". However, in the TV anime "Fate/stay night [Unlimited Blade Works]" (mentioned later), another ending was visualized as a 10-minute episode titled "sunny day" as a bonus for the recorded product.

Animation began with the TV animation "Fate / stay night" that visualized the "Fate" route in 2006, and the "Unlimited Blade Works" route was the theater animation "Fate / stay night UNLIMITED BLADE WORKS" in 2010, 2014. From to 2015, it was visualized as a TV animation "Fate / stay night [Unlimited Blade Works]". With all three parts of the animated work "Fate / stay night [Heaven's Feel]" of the "Heaven's Feel" route, which started screening in 2017, all three routes have been animated. In addition, a part of the episode "Réalta Nua (last episode)" added in the ported version "Réalta Nua" from the PC version to other models at the TYPE-MOON exhibition held in December 2019 was visualized. [1] [2].

Production and copyright management is handled by Geneon Universal Entertainment, who also produced "Tsukihime, Lunar Legend" up to the theatrical animation "Fate / stay night UNLIMITED BLADE WORKS" released in 2010. Subsequent production and copyright management is handled by Aniplex, who produced "The Garden of Sinners" and "Fate / Zero" as "Project Fate / stay night". Studio Dean is in charge of the animation production for Geneon Universal Entertainment, and ufotable is in charge of the Aniplex version.

As a game, each route has multiple endings depending on the branching selected by the player, but the works that have been visualized so far basically follow the ending called the true end. However, in the TV anime "Fate / stay night [Unlimited Blade Works]" described later, another ending is visualized as a 10-minute episode with the title "sunny day" as a recorded product privilege.

Last edited: