DO YOU LIKE MTL GAMES IN THIS COMMUNITY?

DO WE NEED MTL GAMES IN THIS COMMUNITY?

• Yes, language is not important for me

• Yes, only if it is an edited translation

• No, but it'd be better to post them in the special translation thread before moving to the main one

• No, I generally hate MTL games

Results are only viewable after voting.

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
Yes, and we should also ban russian games with horrible grammar. In fact we should ban all games not written by native english speakers.

Why even stop there? There are still plenty of games with shitty renders/drawings and some even have fetishes I personally don't like.

Point is, we are not the quality police, we don't pick and choose which games are good enough for the site and don't even feel sorry if some of the free stuff we upload don't meet your quality standards.

Marie Mamiya

Aug 14, 2017
Yes, and we should also ban russian games with horrible grammar. In fact we should ban all games not written by native english speakers.

Why even stop there? There are still plenty of games with shitty renders/drawings and some even have fetishes I personally don't like.

Point is, we are not the quality police, we don't pick and choose which games are good enough for the site and don't even feel sorry if some of the free stuff we upload don't meet your quality standards.
You are speaking with Russian now :sneaky:
It's just a poll. No need to be so pushy. I'm not like this guy

There+is+a+good+few+naruto+memes+here+good+_acb813b5edfc7b34d4498a9fdca95a35.jpg

m1ch43l

Jul 6, 2017
Honestly, as long as the actual meaning gets to the player, I don't mind. My only issue is, that especially from Japanese games, sometimes it doesn't make any sense at all anymore. Unrealistic e.g. pussy translates to clammshell or penetrate becomes convince or forgetful (penetrate -> through sth -> through the mind -> holes in mind -> holes in memory -> leaking memory . etc.)

Silentce

Quiet Eldritch Horror
Modder
Uploader
Jan 2, 2018
Obviously the more effort put into the translation and the easier it is for people to understand the better but, even with that being said a bad translation can be fixed and bugs can be squashed. It is more of a benefit to the community to do a machine translation then it is to leave it in Japanese. If you dislike MTLs the best advice I can give you is just avoid them. There is no need to go into threads and complain, it isn't going to stop them. Just play the game, if you don't like it for any reason just shelve it and move on. Maybe in the future the translation will advance to your standard and you can enjoy it too.

Stompai

Oct 7, 2017
Mtl is imo an alternative while waiting for a proper translation. Which might never come.
After all there are thousands of japanese eroge out there, while the number of translator, willing to do it for free as a hobby is actually pretty small.
Mtl can allow to bypass that limit.
It's even possible to reach proper english if the person doing the mtl take the time to edit this mtl.

sdfgjhdfszbg

May 7, 2017
When a game gets MTL, they usually get forgotten "because they were already translated". I'm ok with it as long as they get translated properly in the future and i understand that some just want to see the goodies (if i just want to see the goodies, ill just pop out a vid and get done with it), but some want so see the plot, character interaction and how they evolve (corrupted) in the game.

BossFloof

Nitro Girlz: Paradise Creator
Game Developer
Sep 3, 2019
Depends on the game, really. Stuff that's gameplay heavy or animation after animation anyways don't need good translation. VNs, RPGs and adventures, do and these should be at least translated kind of seriously.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
Depends on how important dialog is to playing the game. I find that a machine translation mostly ruins the dialog so I just skip most of it. So if we're talking a sandbox game that focuses on progressing via stats or some sort of grinding and the story doesn't really matter then MTL doesn't bother me that much, but if it's more like a visual novel I'm not really going to be able to get into it. The translation issues are jarring enough that I'm more focused on trying to figure out WTF I just read than I am on actually enjoying the story.

IMO someone producing a game for an English language audience really owes it to themselves to at least have a native English speaker proof read the machine translation and make whatever edits are needed so it sounds more natural. Ideally you would want a human translated version but I can see how that might be tough to do if the dev does not speak English.

Stompai

Oct 7, 2017
When a game gets MTL, they usually get forgotten "because they were already translated". I'm ok with it as long as they get translated properly in the future and i understand that some just want to see the goodies (if i just want to see the goodies, ill just pop out a vid and get done with it), but some want so see the plot, character interaction and how they evolve (corrupted) in the game.
Ah, remember you, the guy saying I ruined a game without trying it ^^

Silentce

Quiet Eldritch Horror
Modder
Uploader
Jan 2, 2018
Ah, remember you, the guy saying I ruined a game without trying it ^^
I think that illustrates a pretty big problem when it comes to this subject. Many people don't even try the game. They just see those 3 letters assume it is terrible and then fly into a tantrum and post negative feedback to any thread where someone says MTL was utilized regardless of how good or bad the game truely is. I mean good and bad are completely relative. Best thing people can do to improve translations? leave real feedback, try the game and provide examples of things the person could do to improve. It is more valuable then "This is shit." To be fair the translator might not care but if they don't take your feedback that is on them not you.

Stompai

Oct 7, 2017
I think that illustrates a pretty big problem when it comes to this subject. Many people don't even try the game. They just see those 3 letters assume it is terrible and then fly into a tantrum and post negative feedback to any thread where someone says MTL was utilized regardless of how good or bad the game truely is. I mean good and bad are completely relative. Best thing people can do to improve translations? leave real feedback, try the game and provide examples of things the person could do to improve. It is more valuable then "This is shit." To be fair the translator might not care but if they don't take your feedback that is on them not you.
True, that could actually be an idea for this website / community.
Just like there are moderator, jr. Uploader, modder, staff member, etc.
There could maybe be some kind of reviewer / tester or anything which are allowed to publish a sort of rating/review of the translation quality.
Or really just an independent voting system so that users can differentiate between vanilla mtl and edited mtl