trumafioso

Aug 12, 2017
So, just downloaded the latest version, and this error occurs every time I start a new game.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

And when I attempt to read a book, the only book I have is called Menu, and I get this error.

And when I click on inventory, it lists two items that have no descriptions or images, with a use option. When I click use I get the following error.

And I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but in the hotel room, the only options available to me are either to read a book or advance the time 1 hour.

DragonWrath

Donor
Jun 17, 2017
@trumafioso See my 2 previous posts for (temporary) solution until the Dev can actually fix this issue.

After doing this and starting over, the visit event (that unlocks the ability to explore) triggers as well as I stopped getting errors (of any kind so far) and am able to actually play the game now.

Thundorn

Dec 31, 2017
This is a PSA of sorts:

@muttdoggy , you may wish to add an alert/PSA/Warning/etc to the OP stating that if one gets a lot of errors (such as missing "dialogue.txt file" or are stuck in the hotel room (unable to go anywhere yet the can see the mother at 11 or so in her maid outfit) then they will need to run unren and extract the archive.rpa in order for the game to function.

@Thundorn The game throws a crapload of errors and we are unable to do literally ANYthing aside from waiting and sleep. I don't know why exactly but I do know that extracting the archive.rpa file fixes the errors popping up (such as the new game start's "dialogue.txt missing" error) and being stuck in the room (unable to go anywhere or do anything except for waiting and sleeping, no events trigger except those that happen during sleeping).

@cyberkiller Search for Unren in the tools forum, download it and put in into the game directory, then run the unren.bat and choose option 1 (extract rpa files), the game should run fine afterwards. I had an unplayable game as well (errors, unable to do anything at all, etc), but extracting the archive.rpa files with unren fixed that.
Excellent. Here is a hotfix, just copy the contents into the directory and it will solve that issue. No idea why renpy left if out of the archive but will upload a fresh version

Krigan

Jun 8, 2017
unplayable for me too!!!

New game = error

i ignore the error and play the intro. after that i trap in the room and i can just pass hour.
when i try to read, i have an error.....

End of the game

Edit: it's working with the fix

DragonWrath

Donor
Jun 17, 2017
unplayable for me too!!!

New game = error

i ignore the error and play the intro. after that i trap in the room and i can just pass hour.
when i try to read, i have an error.....

End of the game
Read my posts above you ( ) for solution, also dev posted a temporary hotfix directly above your post.

DragonWrath

Donor
Jun 17, 2017
Excellent. Here is a hotfix, just copy the contents into the directory and it will solve that issue. No idea why renpy left if out of the archive but will upload a fresh version

@Thundorn Thank you for this. Not sure if this will fix all the current issues (but I know it would fix the new game error) because repny didn't leave it out of the archive to begin with. It just wasn't able to detect it within the archive for some reason. When I used the Unren Tool to extract the archive.rpa file, the dialogue.txt file appeared so it is already in the archive.

I think there's something wrong with the archive.rpa file itself or with how Ren'Py deals with .txt files packed into archives as I've had no issues whatsoever after extracting it (all relevant files seem to be present including dialogues.txt after extraction). Possibly something got screwed up in the directory paths when packed, or maybe it can't detect.txt files inside, or could be some other issue. I couldn't say as I'm not a developer and don't know Ren'py that well.

Reactions: Thundorn

DragonWrath

Donor
Jun 17, 2017
@Thundorn maybe you should playtest the release on a different pc than the one that you created the game on where all the assets aren't available, before releasing it into the wild.
While I agree with you @Kasey, however I should add (to be fair) that all the files appear to be here and in working order. Just an issue with the archive.rpa file not properly detecting all the files inside of it (for some odd reason) and had to extract it first before it would work properly. If anyone with extensive Ren'Py programing knowledge could clarify why, I would be greatly interested in learning the reason for this peculiar behavior/issue.

Reactions: yoyomistro

Pizza Guy

Dec 29, 2017
this thing that i can only do to the game by skipping 1 hour (and i also done extracting the rpa files)

Thundorn

Dec 31, 2017
@Thundorn Thank you for this. Not sure if this will fix all the current issues (but I know it would fix the new game error) because repny didn't leave it out of the archive to begin with. It just wasn't able to detect it within the archive for some reason. When I used the Unren Tool to extract the archive.rpa file, the dialogue.txt file appeared so it is already in the archive.

I think there's something wrong with the archive.rpa file itself or with how Ren'Py deals with .txt files packed into archives as I've had no issues whatsoever after extracting it (all relevant files seem to be present including dialogues.txt after extraction). Possibly something got screwed up in the directory paths when packed, or maybe it can't detect.txt files inside, or could be some other issue. I couldn't say as I'm not a developer and don't know Ren'py that well.
Yes it's a strange one. I haven't had issues with it before but it's a lesson learned. v0.0.4 will be fully xml implemented so the csv text file will be removed so it wont be an issue.

Reactions: DragonWrath

DragonWrath

Donor
Jun 17, 2017
@Pizza Guy Hmmm... Not sure why that's happening but I have a couple of thoughts:

1) If you are skipping the tutorial, try again without skipping it this time around (it's extremely short anyway).

2) If that doesn't work then try going into game and deleting the saves folder and start the game, close it and then start it again. Then begin a new game and see if you're able to get the Morning Visit event (the one that opens up the ability to explore). I think the "Persistant.sav" file may be responsible for some of it but I can't be sure so I just deleted my old saves entirely, extracted the archive, then ran the game, closed it, ran it again, and finally started a new game. I took the tutorial and then the next day the Visit event happened and after that, everything was working fine (although for some odd reason, the pool is already cleaned and filled.... not sure if it's a personal bug or with the game).

@Thundorn OH! I just remember that I had forgotten to mention that I don't have a radio option anymore. If I hover over it, it says "I don't have a tv" instead of radio. Not sure if you changed how the radio thing works (such as needing to buy/get a radio or not), but no access to radio and the hover-tip references TV rather than radio. Also, when I went to clean the pool, it was already cleaned and filled... not sure if that's a personal bug or if that's a bug in the game itself. Something you may wish to look into. it didn't prevent me from "cleaning" the pool but yeah.

trumafioso

Aug 12, 2017
found another error. When going to peek on Mother in shower, this error occurs at the end. The rollback command is there, but cannot continue the event.

215303j

The hotfix worked for me.
The game is now finally a game.
Still not much to do besides farming, I think...
And it would be good to have a way to reduce the grind...

BizeBire

Oct 23, 2017
Works fine after the hotfix. There's a couple of things that this game DESPERATELY needs fixed, though...

Here are my thoughts so far:

1) Add a mute everything button or just go back to the classic RenPy sliders in the menu. I don't want to have to toggle music in each and every location. I just don't want this thing to make any sounds at all.

2) The 'h' key or middle mouse button currently only hide the responses available instead of the whole conversation bar.

3) Rollback doesn't seem to work. Scroll-wheel does nothing.

4) The beginning of the game is super confusing. You really should think about changing that as that's the most important part of any game - you either get a player hooked right there and then or you risk losing a player. Right now, after some walls of text about how bad the situation is, the player lands in an empty hotel room with NOTHING to do but wait. Wait by manually clicking the button. Not only do we have to wait until we go to sleep, but then some, until an event auto-triggers.

What's the point of that? Either just start the game when Laura comes in to the motel or add something to do for the players before that. Some interaction with the sister would be nice. Right now I don't really care for that character at all, I don't know her at all. I saw her in a couple of renders but had zero interaction so far. Considering half the game revolves around helping/curing her, it seems like a rather large oversight.

5) Why is "just looking around (do nothing)" even an option? What does that accomplish or what's the design idea behind it?

6) The renders seem rather dark, especially the ones during evening or night.

7) The Mall has some locations (like the "InstaHo Lingerie") that are marked, highlight on mouse-over, but don't do anything. This makes it seem like they're bugged. If you want to set up placeholders for future content (like the High Street which seems to be completely pointless at this moment) add a disclaimer.

Any game shouldn't be about the player desperately looking for content, the content should come at the player. Especially in this type of a game where the playerbase has been pretty much conditioned to think that stuff will get unlocked at some point.

EDIT

8) Why give us seeds if gardening requires at least $140 of accessories before we can do anything!?

Last edited:

Thundorn

Dec 31, 2017
@Pizza Guy Hmmm... Not sure why that's happening but I have a couple of thoughts:

1) If you are skipping the tutorial, try again without skipping it this time around (it's extremely short anyway).

2) If that doesn't work then try going into game and deleting the saves folder and start the game, close it and then start it again. Then begin a new game and see if you're able to get the Morning Visit event (the one that opens up the ability to explore). I think the "Persistant.sav" file may be responsible for some of it but I can't be sure.

@Thundorn OH! I just remember that I had forgotten to mention that I don't have a radio option anymore. If I hover over it, it says "I don't have a tv" instead of radio. Not sure if you changed how the radio thing works (such as needing to buy/get a radio or not), but no access to radio and the hover-tip references TV rather than radio.
The radio has been taken out of the default inventory. It can be bought from lessco. Once it is in Jakes inventory it can be listened to.

The links on the OP have now been updated with a working version. I've tested it and all is working.

I do ask people to remember that Deeper is in early alpha, I'm a one man operation and have only been working on it for 3 months in my free time. Once i am certain that the engine is solid i can start focusing on adding more content in each update but at the moment my priority is with mechanics so i can only add a few scenes each update

DragonWrath

Donor
Jun 17, 2017
The hotfix worked for me.
The game is now finally a game.
Still not much to do besides farming, I think...
And it would be good to have a way to reduce the grind...
I half agree with that sentiment... I do wish there was a little less grind in the game (or at least some kind of clear progress tracker to let us know when we've done everything we can for a current version) but at the same time I feel like I should point out that there isn't quite ALL that much in the game as of yet so without the grind, you wouldn't be playing for long at all. I should ALSO point out that I believe that as the game grows, the number of events and things will expand at such a rate that the grind will be far less noticeable as you will have far more options/choices of what you want to do/events to pursue (which, again, boils down to not that much content as of yet). I see a LOT of potential in this game even though I almost didn't try the 0.0.2 version, but I have to say that I'm very glad I did. My only real gripe at the moment is the length of time between events that trigger (such as waiting for the doc visit with the sister, I almost didn't discover that event because it took so long to trigger), however I know that will be greatly mitigated and reduced when there's even more content added. Patience is the real game right now as it's still extremely early in the game's development life. I'm already a fan of it, though I can't quite put my finger on exactly why just yet... I just know this game has a lot of potential and can't wait to see even more.

found another error. When going to peek on Mother in shower, this error occurs at the end. The rollback command is there, but cannot continue the event.

Shot in the dark here but try running unren again and selecting option 2 (decompile rpyc files), and running option 1 again to fully extract everything possible and see if you still get the error after that. I can't say if it will work as I have yet to get that far (been replying to people on this thread and catching up on other followed threads).

Let me know if that works or not please (tag me if you wish), if not then it will likely have to be fixed by @Thundorn before it works properly.

Chel

Jun 1, 2017
Just discovered this, one question tho. How does the ASMR tag tie into this?

2.60 star(s) 33 Votes