3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

GuyFreely

May 2, 2018
@JackBenNimble I would search out some tutorials on lighting in Daz (that's what I did). I can summarize one of the useful ones I found.

1. Make a primitive shape. (planes are good to angle just right.)
2. Go to the surfaces tab, select the primitive surface.
3. Go to the presets > shaders and find the emissive one, apply it. (Should now have a glowy shape).
4. Back to the editor tab for the surface, you should now see all the lighting settings. Set the temperature to 6500.
5. Now use the luminance and emission color as you like. (I prefer to set the luminence units to kcd as most lights need to be pretty strong to be useful.)

Now these are generally for non-visible (out of frame) lights. For in-frame lights, you can actually use the same trick, but set the opacity to like .01 and it will be basically invisible then stick it next to the "source" of the light. If you make it totally invisible, it won't cast light. May want to turn on two-sided light in these cases too. If you check back through some of my posts here I am using these lights in a lot of them.

I would also download a handful of HDRI light setups, they are really handy too. Obviously the normal spotlights and point lights can be used as well.

[ uses a night time HDRI and an emissive plane for fire light.]

Reactions: JackBeNimble

GuyFreely

May 2, 2018
@GuyFreely You are awesome! Thanks a ton for all of your useful tips :D I'll put some of this into practice today, I think. I really appreciate you, man.
No problem, I'm pretty noob myself. I keep expecting someone to come along and tell me I'm doing it all wrong. Also, since you are going to play with lights, you may want to check on skin shine. The simple one I use is the altern8 skin shader. It has a few levels of shine that can make the lights bounce off nicely.

JackBeNimble

May 21, 2017
No problem, I'm pretty noob myself. I keep expecting someone to come along and tell me I'm doing it all wrong. Also, since you are going to play with lights, you may want to check on skin shine. The simple one I use is the altern8 skin shader. It has a few levels of shine that can make the lights bounce off nicely.
Hmm, I have not heard of Altern8. I've been using a lot of skins from Fred Winkler Art. I think I'll search that, is it at Daz or Rendo?

Edit: Found at Daz, thanks for the tip... Gonna add it to my cart real fast.

...And I could have sworn that Snow Sultan over at DeviantArt had a great tutorial on skins and the relevant settings... I recall commenting on it, but with all the stuff I've been trying to work on, I don't think I've actually tried to learn what they are discussing about it yet.

Ahh, here it is:

GuyFreely

May 2, 2018
Hmm, I have not heard of Altern8. I've been using a lot of skins from Fred Winkler Art. I think I'll search that, is it at Daz or Rendo?

Edit: Found at Daz, thanks for the tip... Gonna add it to my cart real fast.

...And I could have sworn that Snow Sultan over at DeviantArt had a great tutorial on skins and the relevant settings... I recall commenting on it, but with all the stuff I've been trying to work on, I don't think I've actually tried to learn what they are discussing about it yet.

Ahh, here it is:
Useful stuff. There is definitely a balance to be struck between a bit of shine and why are you covered in oil? Finding good skin assets can be tough.

Jai Ho

May 31, 2017
Thanks bro!
Edit: Here's an (unfortunately non-pronz) example of some of the tone-mapping to simulate darker area lights I'm talking about:

View attachment 104292
I like the moonlight, but try changing Render/Environment/Dome Orientation Y option from 0 to 180 and see if it casts the moonlight on her face? Having the moonlight behind the characters makes the scene too dark for me. Just a thot. :)

JackBeNimble

May 21, 2017
Thank you, I'll try this! Over at Deviantart, a helpful person also told me that the redhead chick's pretty hard to see in that pic. I think I actually need to re-arrange most of that and re-upload it, so she's more easily seen.

But I gotta do laundry today >.<

thecardinal

Latina midget, sub to my Onlyfans - cash for gash
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
Poor guy. Didn't get to finish. I guess we all suffer from Render interruptus from time to time. 300 passes? I'm impressed. At 300 passes I would have either finished or my dick would have fallen off already! Joking aside - I really like the pic! Looks great for no finishing.
Materials from Daz Octane, then send it to Octane standalone. My desktop computer is basically a super up 1995 Honda Civic

JackBeNimble

May 21, 2017
^

...Like she didn't want it! XD

Great render, man! Is that an HDRI with drawn dome and ground? I can NEVER get mine to scale properly to the models in the scene, no matter what I do! Love that shot bro ^.^

MovieMike

Aug 4, 2017
^

...Like she didn't want it! XD

Great render, man! Is that an HDRI with drawn dome and ground? I can NEVER get mine to scale properly to the models in the scene, no matter what I do! Love that shot bro ^.^
Yep, it's one of Dimension Theory's HDRI maps. He (or She) does a bunch of really good HDRI maps. I rotated the dome so that the light was in front of them and switched from finite dome to infinite sphere I think we I usually have better results with.

When I'm just doing simple tests and images HDRI domes render so much faster so I usually go that route. Glad you liked it.

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes