Daz Animations

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Fck me dude your renders are really good quality. Pity i cannot see the full resolution renders. Are you on Deviantart by chance? I am if you wanted have a look at the game characters of mine.. lookup WurnBlade
Once again thx for all your help.
Have you seen the images from Dreams of Desire game? Love his lighting, quality and DOF he uses.

Daz/Blender is a new world to me as i have previously only done Web/Graphic designing and now IT work.

What is your VN game name if i may ask? Is it out yet or you just creating scene's for fun? The model you using is seriously pretty.

I'll share my results here for sure as i believe for future devs it may help, at least your advice as i am like a fart in perfume factory, just kinda lost LOL.

I am in the process of developing a NON - Incest game currently. Just for fun below are the 5 main protagonists. Any advice is always appreciated. Couple of clipping issues in teh render.

Reactions: erikus

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
before i forget i did do another render of the couch scene with more lighting... i did fix his leg and hand positioning as he was floating as you have mentioned. Actually this is the quality for my interior room view i am trying to achieve with my handshake scene.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
That's a very nice render. Pretty good lighting, and I like the reflection off the coffee table. :)

Only thing I might offer (and this is VERY picky) is that the shadows on the couch and across his body seem slightly crisper than they might in real life. Are you using a directional light outside? An HDRI? Directional lights are great, but they tend to cast shadows that are just too perfect. HDRI lighting (if you can find a good one for your scene) tend to give slightly more real-world shadows because the origin of the light isn't perfectly parallel.

But, as I said, that's REALLY picky. Oh, and he needs a little artwork on that blank wall behind him... :)

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Thank you for compliments

I am using ILPK lighting source and added an extra light source or Sun ... not sure if it's HDRI ....

Funny enought that render did not take that long and came out very good, but my one i am discussing in this forum is just battling to give me high quality, little grain and washout.

I agree with the wall being blank, this is something i'll fix in PHotoshop

That's a very nice render. Pretty good lighting, and I like the reflection off the coffee table. :)

Only thing I might offer (and this is VERY picky) is that the shadows on the couch and across his body seem slightly crisper than they might in real life. Are you using a directional light outside? An HDRI? Directional lights are great, but they tend to cast shadows that are just too perfect. HDRI lighting (if you can find a good one for your scene) tend to give slightly more real-world shadows because the origin of the light isn't perfectly parallel.

But, as I said, that's REALLY picky. Oh, and he needs a little artwork on that blank wall behind him... :)

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
I haven't used ILPK myself, but I know about it. No, that's not HDRI. HDRI's are "High Dynamic Range Images." They can be used as your "skydome," and provide both visible sky (if you have rendering of the dome enabled, which is the default) and also illumination. So, they have a "sun" embedded in them, but they also cast (smaller amounts of) light from different directions to simulate the way that sunlight bounces off clouds, gets refracted by the atmosphere, etc. The default Daz "dome" is a very crude HDRI, but there are lots better ones available through Daz and elsewhere.

I'm sure this render worked more quickly because the majority of the scene is directly illuminated by your light source. Indoor scenes tend to be mostly indirectly lighted, since most of the surfaces get light that's bounced off other surfaces, etc. Each "bounce" takes time for Daz to compute. When a surface is directly lit, Daz will typically "converge" (i.e. decide that enough is enough for that pixel) much more quickly. When you have large portions indirectly lit, the light contribution from any one direction is much smaller, and so Daz does a lot more work before it decides that it's "converged." Indoor _dark_ scenes are the worst. Frequently, the way to handle them is to light them more brightly than you want (so Daz converges more quickly) but then use the Tone Mapping settings to "turn down the exposure." (Equivalent to using a lower ISO film that reacts less to a given amount of light.)

As I said, the bit about the sharp shadows was a real nit that I was picking, but you might want to see if you can find an appropriate HDRI, set it up in the Environment section of the render settings and just see the effect, if only for educational purposes. (Note - obviously, you want the HDRI's "sun "at the correct angle so that it shines in the window - the environment settings allow you to rotate the dome to achieve that.)

I would actually expect the HDRI approach to render a bit more slowly than the ILPK approach, but that's sometimes the tradeoff you pay for "realism." :) For interior scenes like this one, it may not be worth the effort, but if you start doing outdoor scenes, HDRI lighting is MUCH more realistic-looking than directional lights.

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Hi Rich, ok so i used the "sun" and i rotated the dome so that the sun light from the dome flooded the room, hence the shadows. I had to add teh ILPK ligths also which worked. That is teh one thing i do not have going on for below scene, the sun dome light is not nearly enough or in correct angle.

OK so back to my current problem. I did two tests, one 2500res with Max settings of 5000

and then 4500res max settings 10000, both i set to 2200seconds and they were done in 38min.
I also lowered the lumens on all of my 6 spotlights so it's not so washed out anymore. I can always lighten in Photoshop and kinda prefer it this way... i know it has more grain but was not expecting this much.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
At the end of the day, you go with the old engineering mantra "good enough is good enough." LOL If you're producing standalone art, that's one thing - you want to go for perfection. But in the context of a game, nobody (well, almost nobody) is going to spend much time picking apart your image for grain. In my experience, 38 minutes isn't horrible for a render like that. It's interior, which causes issues, plus there are a lot of surfaces with detail in them. The walls have ribs, the lamp (which occupies a fair amount of real estate) probably has a bump map in the shade to give it texture, etc., etc. All that kind of stuff drives iRay nuts since all the light bounces go in different directions. I probably run to a higher quality level than you are, but most of my interior scenes take an hour to an hour and a quarter, and I have a VERY hot machine. (Dual 1080's)

But from a pure quality point of view, I think the image you've posted is OK - I wouldn't look twice at it (from a quality point of view) in a game.

That being said, I _would_ suggest adding a fill light off to the left, designed to cast some light on the left side of the guy on the right. Right now, he's back-lit, as you can see by the lighting on the back of his neck and arm. The result is that he "fades into the background" just a bit, and more attention is being drawn to the guy behind the counter than the "customer." (Unless that was your intent, of course.) Typically, you want to adjust the lighting to accentuate whomever it is you want the eye drawn to. I think the lighting on the guy on the left is sufficient, particularly if you like the overall tone - I just think the guy on the right could use a tiny bit of punching up.

But, end of the day, lighting is _hard_. But it also makes or breaks the scene - most of the "mood" of scenes in movies are created by the lighting.

Jimbles

Aug 30, 2017
Fck me dude your renders are really good quality. Pity i cannot see the full resolution renders. Are you on Deviantart by chance? I am if you wanted have a look at the game characters of mine.. lookup WurnBlade
Once again thx for all your help.
Have you seen the images from Dreams of Desire game? Love his lighting, quality and DOF he uses.
Thanks, I really appreciate that. If I can remember, I'll share the full resolution renders when I get home. I'm not on deviant art, never really thought about it, but I'll check you out for sure.
You're welcome, anytime. I'm looking forward to seeing your new content.
Yeah, DoD is one of my favorites, Dr. Sin does a really good job with his renders and he's definitely improved his quality since he started (or he hired a different artist).

Daz/Blender is a new world to me as i have previously only done Web/Graphic designing and now IT work.

What is your VN game name if i may ask? Is it out yet or you just creating scene's for fun? The model you using is seriously pretty.

I'll share my results here for sure as i believe for future devs it may help, at least your advice as i am like a fart in perfume factory, just kinda lost LOL.
No worries, everyone has to start somewhere, I'm still learning everyday.

It's still in development. I had my HDD crash a few months ago and I lost pretty much all my work; so I rage quit for a while and now I'm just getting back into it again. The name so far is Unforgettable Summer, but I'm not sure if that'll be the final name or not, I kind of want something a little more clever. However, those last 3 scenes were just for fun/practice. I wish I could take credit for her, but she's actually Clara by Digital Touch ( ) with some body modifications, I really liked her when I first saw her too.

I am in the process of developing a NON - Incest game currently. Just for fun below are the 5 main protagonists. Any advice is always appreciated. Couple of clipping issues in teh render.
I like your characters. Best of luck to you on this, I'm looking forward to seeing its release. Do you have a name for it yet?
before i forget i did do another render of the couch scene with more lighting... i did fix his leg and hand positioning as he was floating as you have mentioned. Actually this is the quality for my interior room view i am trying to achieve with my handshake scene.
That looks really good, vivid colors and contrast. As Rich mentioned, shadows lose sharpness the farther away from the source (of the shadow) that they become. However, I really wouldn't worry about it because it looks good. And it's not always about looking real as long as it looks good.

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Rich:
I have added after those two renders a distant light far off that will serve as my ''Sun". Ive made this light with a yellowish colour cause they are meeting in the morning so need that feel, same as the sitting on the lounge seat just not so pronounced yellow.
Can i use the lamp to the left of the scene on the table as my side light? I do have an omni directional light source in there but it's not showing, how do i let that puppy light up the scene, more lumens?
As for quality that is why i am here asking LOL... that image is not good enough for me as it is. The sitting on the lounge seat is my standard quality or acceptable standard for a interior scene. I want to keep them all like this.
Do you have a game you are working or just helping out other devs?

Jimbles:
Thx for compliments. Yes pls do share your work on Deviantart.... Also very easy to share links from deviant on here. No Photobucket needed.
Unforgettable Summer - maybe "Memories of Summer or Summer days". My game is called "Retrieving the Past" as this is kinda what the main protaganist, Jensen Wenchester (my fanboy salute to Supernatural and Dean Winchester) will be going through. It's a corny name i know but it's teh best suited for the story. It has a twist in it, not sure if it's going to be an amazing twist but then again i'm not Stephen King.

The quality below is what I would like to achieve also for my interior scenes, but we can't always have what we want. Yes yes i know her necklace is cutting her neck LOL..and her straps need to be closer to her shoulders. She's going to be Jensens nemesis... watch this space.

Reactions: JRD and erikus

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
One more thing i wanted to know form you guys.. Licensing... When i eventually advertise this game on Patreon, that is still long way off as i am releasing it here on F95 for free first chapter how do the licensing work for DAZ character/props etc?
I did a lot from renderocity and renderotica also.

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Ok so i've settled on this render. I actually wanted the shadows as they give atmosphere to the game. The next scene it will make sense why the shadows are there and not disguised by the overhead lights. Anyway here it is 4500x2531Res and Max samples of 15000 which took 1h20min or so.
As you guys suggested, reduced to 1920x1080 it looks pretty darn good. now onto the next scene.. thx again Rich and Jimbles.

Reactions: JRD

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Definite improvement. The figures are now much better lit, and the shadows make the scene look much more realistic. Also much crisper all the way around.

In answer to your question about the lamp, the lampshade might have been blocking light from inside, if that's what you were trying to do - the lampshade may not have been really designed to let light through. In situations like that, one possibility is to use a Ghost Light. Although there are a pair of "Ghost Light Kits" in the Daz catalog that are all nicely scripted, the basic idea is that you can put a primitive in the scene (like a small plane), make it emissive, so that light emanates from it, and then set the plane's opacity to something tiny like 0.0000001, at which point the plane isn't visible, even though the light from it is. This is a great way to put light into a place in a scene where you can't easily get a spotlight. So what you could potentially have done was to put a small emissive plane (ghosted) just to the right of where that lamp had been - it would give the illusion of light having come from the lamp.

Of course, there are also lamp kits "out there" that do actually illuminate things. But the lamp wasn't really adding anything to the scene, so what you've done here is very nice.

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Thx Rich...

LOL i did fix the lampshade issue by removing it as i think you mentioned it previously that it's taking up a lot of real estate. Funny you should mention real estate as the bold guy is a real estate magnat.. LOL

I'll see about doing what you suggested in future renders but doubt it.. maybe for a dark night scene for mood lighting. Now onto the next images in same scene. Thx again for help.

For future renderes... Use the dome and use an extra distant light source as your sun... Use indoor lighting also. This seems to give you brightness and atmosphere without white washing the scene.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
For future renderes... Use the dome and use an extra distant light source as your sun... Use indoor lighting also. This seems to give you brightness and atmosphere without white washing the scene.
All good advice. One alternative to "dome + distant light" is to use an HDRI on your dome that includes a sun. This tends to give a very good effect, particularly for exterior scenes. For interior scenes, a distant light through a window will render slightly more quickly (in my experience) than using an HDRI for the same purpose. Unless you can see out the window, of course - then the HDRI can be your sky / scenery as well.

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
I forgot about HDRI, i'll look into it some more i think. Thx

All good advice. One alternative to "dome + distant light" is to use an HDRI on your dome that includes a sun. This tends to give a very good effect, particularly for exterior scenes. For interior scenes, a distant light through a window will render slightly more quickly (in my experience) than using an HDRI for the same purpose. Unless you can see out the window, of course - then the HDRI can be your sky / scenery as well.

Jimbles

Aug 30, 2017
Jimbles:
Thx for compliments. Yes pls do share your work on Deviantart.... Also very easy to share links from deviant on here. No Photobucket needed.
Unforgettable Summer - maybe "Memories of Summer or Summer days". My game is called "Retrieving the Past" as this is kinda what the main protaganist, Jensen Wenchester (my fanboy salute to Supernatural and Dean Winchester) will be going through. It's a corny name i know but it's teh best suited for the story. It has a twist in it, not sure if it's going to be an amazing twist but then again i'm not Stephen King.
I wanted to say that you've made a real improvement in your renders since the other day. Good Job.

Good stuff, looking forward to the game. I've only seen a few episodes of Supernatural, but it seemed like a decent show. I like the name, haha. I like stories with a twist, especially if there's clues to the twist that you only notice in a second play-through.

To answer your licensing question. Daz allows for the use of assets to create pictures and videos without special licensing. If you want to use one of their models as a 3d figure in a actual game then you need to pay for the extra license. renderotica and renderocity might have their own terms, but in all reality, who cares. No one is going to ask for anything regarding the assets used in your renders. However, if you did pirate some (or all) and you start making money on your project, start buying assets. That way, if for no other reason, you give incentive for designers to keep creating them.

Regarding lamps and stuff. Most "in-scene" lighting isn't designed to effectively light up your set. It's pretty much there to look pretty when it renders. However, the use of a bright point light, can be used to light up a room. Below is a quick example to show what I'm talking about. The renders were only done for about 30 seconds, just to show what I'm talking about.

lampexample.png
The light can always be adjusted to meet your needs and it's not perfect, but I was just trying to get it done in a hurry. The bright white light definitely kills the mood of the room a bit. However, with a little adjusting (115k lumens at 4400 kelvin) which yellows and dims the light we can keep some of the mood:
lampexample2.png
Which doesn't look too terrible (minus the crap render quality). Again, not perfect, but it would work well enough for most things especially when trying to maintain a "low light" scene.

Anyway, treat Daz like your genitalia and don't be afraid to play with it. You may discover something magical. Keep up the good work.

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Jimbles... wow just wow

Thx for lengthy explanations.

Licensing yes i have bought add ons and yeah some free stuff. For certain i buy as i can afford even though i may have gotten it for free. As you've said, pay the creator to support them.

I'll have a look at your lighting suggestions for sure. I love the warm feeling you got from the lamp. Something i'll definitely use in a sexy scene in the future.

I'll also post the latest image of the handshake scene as i have it now in teh game. Also another outdoor scene.

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
As promised here's render that i am very happy to use in my upcoming game.

The handshake scene with added powerman photo of Mr. Brewster

and outside

CJ0

May 31, 2017
So if a single frame takes you 30 minutes to render and you aim for 30 frames a second for your animation then a simple 10 second animation consists of 300 frames requiring rendering. 300 X 30 = 9000 minutes = 150 hours = 6.25 days...
I think it is a reasonable waste of time. What's the whole point of making game? Make it as cool as i can! I think that this animations requires maximum 2-3 seconds, and even less in fast movement scenes.

Use the standart frame rate for movies - 24 fps and drawing "twos" (one drawing is made for every two frames).

24/2*10*30min = 60 hours = 2.5 days :)