Bass_Legend

Jun 5, 2017
I very agree with, you about Patreon. Tbh there should be coming something for Adult "stuff".
Bro the point though is its just a platform to send someone money. You dont need a platform to even do that. For example you could just submit a game here, and provide a link to a paypall donate feature if you want to support the content.

Its just a structured donation system thats only needed because people are strange. Nah i wont donate 5 dollars a month unless I can feel good about myself and have a pledge badge to go with it, with a private chat with a community of other pledgers. (Discord or even this could replace that).

The whole system is just asinine, but its needed because people are dumb.

Reactions: bjornt2

RustyV

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Patreon games are kind of a "scam" in the first place. As a content creator you have all the incentive in the world to milk harder then naruto fillers, draw out the content instead of you know, getting to the point and completing a game? Every DMD update I find myself bored and skimming through all the filler to get to the freaking point. For the adult fetish game genre content is so starved devs can do whatever the fuck they want and still grow fanbase, no real competition.

In theory though patreon is just a platform that can be replaced with a simple donate button via paypal. People like tokens, participation trophies, feeling good and badges so not sure if it would make as much as 5 dollar a month look at me I am supporting your game patreon badge provides.
I think practicality, the notoriety of the Patreon platform along with the relative ease of collecting payments with Patreon are reasons many dev.s don't go it alone. It would be very hard to attract doners to a game if no one knows the game exists. Patreon is well known enough that people will browse the site looking for games. Going it alone means you either are so famous people come looking for you or you have a bag of capital with which to pump into advertising.
Apparently paypal banning adult content is often sited as one of the reasons Patreon began to limit content.

Bass_Legend

Jun 5, 2017
I think practicality, the notoriety of the Patreon platform along with the relative ease of collecting payments with Patreon are reasons many dev.s don't go it alone. It would be very hard to attract doners to a game if no one knows the game exists. Patreon is well known enough that people will browse the site looking for games. Going it alone means you either are so famous people come looking for you or you have a bag of capital with which to pump into advertising.
Apparently paypal banning adult content is often sited as one of the reasons Patreon began to limit content.
I understand a lot of work gos into making a game, but from what I have seen patreon, much like steam early access, is a way to setup a milk farm with no real motivation to complete the game. Why not complete the game first, then release it with a donate button? Thats my 2 cents on the issue.

But for example in DMD he could have just asked his fanbase to make direct donations. Its not a structured milk factory but it will get the job done. If I ever become a content creator I am going to release a game and be like here is a donate button.

I am in a position to do that, but if I wasnt I wouldn't rely on Amoral adult taboo content to pay my bills, rather get a real job.

Bass_Legend

Jun 5, 2017
Worked for Hugh Hefner. lol
And Hugh Hefner produced finished products and sold them. It takes capital to start a business. Dont know his background but I am sure he was in a position to do that instead of begging for donations for meager monthly updates in a naruto filler style milk factory.

Adult games are such a niche market, incest taboo even more so. If you are getting into this business for the $$$ you are doing it wrong.

Delmach

Oct 3, 2017
I also cant help but wonder how many people are still supporting MrDots on Paytreon, even when they only want DMD. Since they know he still creates it, im pretty sure quite a few people just never stopped their pledges. And it kinda makes sense, the platform was meant to support a creator, not a single project. Just hope he also recognizes that all his current supporters might not necessarily be for Melody only.

Personally, Melody doesnt really cut it for me, a Paytreon sanctioned project is slightly too vanilla for me, thats not what I play fictional games for. And from what I heard, he did also get quite a few bucks through the Buy me a coffee thing, and that was mostly for DMD production only. I wouldnt be against faster DMD cycle but well, at least its not abandoned.

Mar 7, 2018
I wish the scheduling would have been flipped with DMD coming out every 2. That way Melody is still being developed to save DMD, DMD gets to be completed sooner. Which then allows Melody to be the focus.
Yes, this would be more fair, as it is now, it really sucks for those of us that love DMD and supported that game so long. I hoped that Melody 2 and DMD 1 would only be in the beginning to get that game "started" but does not seem so sadly.

Mar 7, 2018
I also cant help but wonder how many people are still supporting MrDots on Paytreon, even when they only want DMD. Since they know he still creates it, im pretty sure quite a few people just never stopped their pledges. And it kinda makes sense, the platform was meant to support a creator, not a single project. Just hope he also recognizes that all his current supporters might not necessarily be for Melody only.

Personally, Melody doesnt really cut it for me, a Paytreon sanctioned project is slightly too vanilla for me, thats not what I play fictional games for. And from what I heard, he did also get quite a few bucks through the Buy me a coffee thing, and that was mostly for DMD production only. I wouldnt be against faster DMD cycle but well, at least its not abandoned.
I am one of those I supported Mrdots for DMD for 7-8 months now and never stopped my pledge, I also buy the coffee from dmdgame.com, there are many of those I think.

A game that is made with severe restrictions and limitations to creativity of the creator is always going to suffer from that, they have to send every copy of the game first to Patreon staff to review the game for release. That can not feel very nice when you try to create your own game, basically its a Patreon apporoved product like TV-shows for big networks... really a sad thing.

And about the cycle, as it is now, DMD with current corruption stats would take I guess 3-4 more years to complete, with a normal release cycle probably just around 1 years. :disappointed:

Reactions: Les_Riggs
Mar 29, 2018
I am one of those I supported Mrdots for DMD for 7-8 months now and never stopped my pledge, I also buy the coffee from dmdgame.com, there are many of those I think.

A game that is made with severe restrictions and limitations to creativity of the creator is always going to suffer from that, they have to send every copy of the game first to Patreon staff to review the game for release. That can not feel very nice when you try to create your own game, basically its a Patreon apporoved product like TV-shows for big networks... really a sad thing.

And about the cycle, as it is now, DMD with current corruption stats would take I guess 3-4 more years to complete, with a normal release cycle probably just around 1 years. :disappointed:
Can't developers just continue the game and upload it to another site or something... and in the meantime have the goal on the patreon higher in order to finish both games or just make a paypal site with a similar kind of process to donate. Or patreon have claimed their game so no matter what they have to finish it on their site? If that's not the case it doesnt make sense not to go with the one as I said above.

BK186

May 18, 2017
DMD V19 – COMING SOON
by

Hi guys!
Stay tuned here at mrdotsgames.com for news and information about the release date for DMD v19, which will be posted up at the end of July.

To celebrate this upcoming announcement, I have created some pics to celebrate the end of the FIFA World Cup, featuring the lovely D at the beach.

RustyV

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Like most (if not all DMD) fans I too wish the updates could at least be an every other monthly schedule.
To be blunt Melody seems like the front man, looks good, checks all the Patreon boxes, but is just there to keep Mr.Dots a presence on Patreon. Of course I may be wrong, but evidence seems to point toward Melody being the Patreon frreindly face of the Mr.Dots development team.

For me Melody is just so damn wishy-washy. The renders are great. The conflict is all but nonexistent, and what there is feels artificial and gratuitous.

WooperDooper

May 14, 2018
There are over 1000 pages, not everyone has time for that. If you know that it's wrong just post what it is, or link to the post you're talking about. If it's the last page (Haven't checked) then sure, otherwise people most often don't want to spend time going through pages
Nobody has time to read over a thousand pages, that's why the search bar exists

Eunoian

Artist & Writer
Donor
Jul 15, 2018
I think he is aware. MrDots also sends email updates (newsletter) about DMD to Patrons. I personally support the creator and am a bigger fan of DMD. Melody does have potential still, and has introduced a couple interesting characters, but feels too early to tell if it will be as impactful as DMD.

bolenart

Jun 17, 2017
I read it as DMD being released at the end of July, and got both surprised and excited for a second. Alas, only the release date of the next DMD will be released at the end of July, and not the update itself. As expected.

3.80 star(s) 321 Votes