1tomadeira

Engaged Member
May 25, 2017
Sengoku Rance

If you really want no time limit: Eiyuu Senki
Personally I do believe the strategy aspect of Daibanchou is much better, although Eiyuu Senki's girls are gorgeous.

Funnily enough, all of the 3, Sengoku Rance, Daibanchou and Eiyuu Senki have issues with character stats. Some characters are nearly useless or don't fit their class at all. Tanzawa Nina, Zakuro and Sanada Namu are extremely weak when they join your team. They have stats for turn 1 in game, not turn 60 or something similar.

Nadekai

Aug 18, 2021
Personally I do believe the strategy aspect of Daibanchou is much better, although Eiyuu Senki's girls are gorgeous.

Funnily enough, all of the 3, Sengoku Rance, Daibanchou and Eiyuu Senki have issues with character stats. Some characters are nearly useless or don't fit their class at all. Tanzawa Nina, Zakuro and Sanada Namu are extremely weak when they join your team. They have stats for turn 1 in game, not turn 60 or something similar.
For me Daibanchou never had a strategy, just a direct path you had to follow for you not to get consumed by time limit.

Hentaicheg

May 28, 2018
For me Daibanchou never had a strategy, just a direct path you had to follow for you not to get consumed by time limit.
That's where the Daibanchou shines - the strategy is the path you walk.
Unless you are on NG+ with some commonplace units character cleared - your decisions matter a lot.
Not focusing on economy early on in the national chapter is deadly as it will simply snowball you outright.

Generally unless you look up who is good to take early on to have a powerhouse team - battles will often be either MC bruteforce or strategy. The matchups are pretty fun when you don't have overpowered team in general. A lot of quite weak units still have means to win provided they are used correctly.

Character clear system is also neat, kinda adds to the strategy layer as you try to spend your already very limited turns on getting as many as possible of those in one playthrough rather than outright power scaling yourself via other means.
Albeit it sucks a bit how it's not really feasible to complete most of those without a guide. Even when you know what to do - there are just so many conditions you have to always keep in your mind that it can get pretty crazy on first and maybe second playthrough.

I would say Daibanchou is easily number one out of the genre available to EN. The only one coming close is Sengoku Rance but it's generally too trivial in comparison. Albeit daibanchou has easier means to beat it if you aren't going blind into it and abusing all possible hidden'ish stuff.
And Venusblood series when it comes to maximum challenge if we count it as part of the genre.

Reactions: 1tomadeira

Nadekai

Aug 18, 2021
That's where the Daibanchou shines - the strategy is the path you walk.
Unless you are on NG+ with some commonplace units character cleared - your decisions matter a lot.
Not focusing on economy early on in the national chapter is deadly as it will simply snowball you outright.

Generally unless you look up who is good to take early on to have a powerhouse team - battles will often be either MC bruteforce or strategy. The matchups are pretty fun when you don't have overpowered team in general. A lot of quite weak units still have means to win provided they are used correctly.

Character clear system is also neat, kinda adds to the strategy layer as you try to spend your already very limited turns on getting as many as possible of those in one playthrough rather than outright power scaling yourself via other means.
Albeit it sucks a bit how it's not really feasible to complete most of those without a guide. Even when you know what to do - there are just so many conditions you have to always keep in your mind that it can get pretty crazy on first and maybe second playthrough.

I would say Daibanchou is easily number one out of the genre available to EN. The only one coming close is Sengoku Rance but it's generally too trivial in comparison. Albeit daibanchou has easier means to beat it if you aren't going blind into it and abusing all possible hidden'ish stuff.
And Venusblood series when it comes to maximum challenge if we count it as part of the genre.
I would love Sengoku Rance, but it keeps crashing for me, tbh, I am waiting for Rance 03 translation to come out for me to play all of rance.

1tomadeira

Engaged Member
May 25, 2017
I would love Sengoku Rance, but it keeps crashing for me, tbh, I am waiting for Rance 03 translation to come out for me to play all of rance.
Weird, to me it doesn't crash, but I use original version provided by Yandere Translations. I pass from PC to PC and never had issues. Never tried the version on this website because the ones I have work extremely fine and fast.

Unfortunely their website is down for years, but if you want to install the original game with their installer (it installs and applies the eng patch at the same time) it should be easily accessible on google.

Hentaicheg

May 28, 2018
Finally got to completing this again, this time go to full 100%

Here are full completion save files if you need them - easy to check all character epilogues from them all too.

Also if someone wonders how to launch the game without changing to JP locale, here is my recommended method:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Here are what save files allow you to do:

Here is a guide/huge tip list and generic guidelines I made for people who plan to 100% the game themselves:

Arabi1

Donor
Oct 23, 2023
I really tried to appreciate this game, two times, but failed...

*sigh*

Edit: Three times! Game is still unpleasurable. I give up.
I completely understand you.

I replayed the school chapter 5 times and the district twice and still missing Aya even though I have read the walkthrough. I will get the full save the legend posted above you and play it blindly because getting all those cgs according to plans is a hassle so just forget about it and enjoy the gameplay.

Also I want to add, if you want to play any AliceSoft game you will feel the same way again. I know, I was there many times.

Deleted member 4771842

Mar 24, 2022
I completely understand you.

I replayed the school chapter 5 times and the district twice and still missing Aya even though I have read the walkthrough. I will get the full save the legend posted above you and play it blindly because getting all those cgs according to plans is a hassle so just forget about it and enjoy the gameplay.
Well, getting Aya is not that hard, especially if you read wiki (you can't play this game without wiki), but National part sucks ass.
At some point, while you are trying to deal with vampires, freaking NPI stabs you in the back, and they have very powerful pawns.
And of course it will happen when all your pawns are tired and injured.
It's stressful, and I'm playing games not to get stress, but to have fun, lol.

Edit: Oh, you have played Black Souls... Did you find Alice?

Reactions: Arabi1

Arabi1

Donor
Oct 23, 2023
Well, getting Aya is not that hard, especially if you read wiki (you can't play this game without wiki), but National part sucks ass.
At some point, while you are trying to deal with vampires, freaking NPI stabs you in the back, and they have very powerful pawns.
And of course it will happen when all your pawns are tired and injured.
It's stressful, and I'm playing games not to get stress, but to have fun, lol.

Edit: Oh, you have played Black Souls... Did you find Alice?
I know, and if your injured units died, they died. Same with the enemy if you killed them by mistake there is no way you can see them again to capture them.

No, I didn't find Alice yet. I left the game in the middle of it for both black souls 1 and 2, and I was going to do it with this game as well. They are all so cool and amazing, but there is some kind of strange aura keeping me away from them.

Deleted member 4771842

Mar 24, 2022
I know, and if your injured units died, they died. Same with the enemy if you killed them by mistake there is no way you can see them again to capture them.
And there is no guaranty that you will capture them~
And there are cases when they can die in prison or escape from it~
What a heaven for masochists!

No, I didn't find Alice yet. I left the game in the middle of it for both black souls 1 and 2, and I was going to do it with this game as well. They are all so cool and amazing, but there is some kind of strange aura keeping me away from them.
Black Souls is not a game you can play, leave it and come back to it. It's more like a book. You read it to the end or drop it at some point.
Next time, try to play only one game and to the end.

Though I wonder if you really should play it... because to really enjoy something so hideous, you need to be REALLY open minded, and have a predisposition to develop black soul, literally.
I mean... if you played Undertale, or any other game, where you can kill or save anyone, have you tried both? Did you enjoy it? No?
Then Black Souls is not for you~
You may miss the story, trying to evade the game's content and you will get wrong impression about the game, fufufu~

And yes, community of this game can be a bit unhinged too~

Arabi1

Donor
Oct 23, 2023
And there is no guaranty that you will capture them~
And there are cases when they can die in prison or escape from it~
What a heaven for masochists!

Black Souls is not a game you can play, leave it and come back to it. It's more like a book. You read it to the end or drop it at some point.
Next time, try to play only one game and to the end.

Though I wonder if you really should play it... because to really enjoy something so hideous, you need to be REALLY open minded, and have a predisposition to develop black soul, literally.
I mean... if you played Undertale, or any other game, where you can kill or save anyone, have you tried both? Did you enjoy it? No?
Then Black Souls is not for you~
You may miss the story, trying to evade the game's content and you will get wrong impression about the game, fufufu~

And yes, community of this game can be a bit unhinged too~
Not for me? I'm a hardcore dark souls player, . So, there is no way I can't overlock a souls game even if it is so hideous.

I'm the kind that love to see spoilers to enjoy the game even more. Yes, I played Undertale but I was suspicious and couldn't kill the woman that helped me so I knew what "exp" means in that game before finishing it.

I will take your advice the next time I play. And don't get me wrong, it is not the gloomy atmosphere that stops me playing but I was following the walkthrough video in YouTube step by step and part of me don't want to do that every time I think about the game.

Deleted member 4771842

Mar 24, 2022
Not for me? I'm a hardcore dark souls player, . So, there is no way I can't overlock a souls game even if it is so hideous.
A hardcore Dark Souls player who enjoys grinding and turn based combat? Sounds a bit funny, don't you think~?
Video liked btw(y)

I'm the kind that love to see spoilers to enjoy the game even more. Yes, I played Undertale but I was suspicious and couldn't kill the woman that helped me so I knew what "exp" means in that game before finishing it.
I can see why you are doing it, because you don't want to waste time, but... you are losing something very valuable too, a feeling of surprise. Try to play games blindly, unless you are stuck or want to check if you missed something after beating it.
Also... I already feel like you will miss something, because your tastes will prevent you from doing something~

I will take your advice the next time I play. And don't get me wrong, it is not the gloomy atmosphere that stops me playing but I was following the walkthrough video in YouTube step by step and part of me don't want to do that every time I think about the game.
Yare yare... I didn't know that some people deliberately spoil their enjoyment of the game... aren't you a baka?
Games are meant to be played, and what are you doing...? Just following someone's instructions in the game...
Yare yare daze... I'm giving you instructions too... aaaaaa!!!

4.70 star(s) 6 Votes